Friends don't let friends (or family) impulsively buy games

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

People, if you're on this site and reading this, no Vegas bookie would take the odds that you don't do your homework on games, be that a review, preview, demo, or a variant on Giant Bomb's own Quick Looks.  You're also probably smart enough to tell people, "Hey, you really should check that game out before you buy it, you know?"  Friends, I made a horrible mistake today by not emphasizing that point again and again to someone who should know better.  

You know the type of guy.  He knows just enough about computers and eBay to make purchases, and despite the fact that this person has been burned on a dozen different used purchases, still makes the same goddamn rookie mistakes.  He's the guy that opens every forward because he knows who sent it to him, and "that guy wouldn't send me a virus!"  He's the guy with a computer always loaded with viruses, bugs, spyware, and a metric ton of shitty bargain bin games, save for the ones you've purchased for him.  He's the guy with a console, with one or two good games and twenty copies of shit similar to Cabela's Big Game Hunting and Raving Rabbids.  Yep, he's That Guy. 

Well, today, I had a chance to stop That Guy from making one hell of a dumb mistake.  We were at That Big Superstore Run By Satan's Minions, and I was doing my thing, buying up stock in Axe, cheese, and chimichangas (oohhh, chimis - I'm gonna write you an epic later.  No, an ode.  Something.), when That Guy comes at me with a cart full of his junk and a big shiny copy of... you know, I have no goddamned clue what the name of this heap of steaming shit is.  I think it's called X5 Fishing, but I can't find anything about it on the wide, wide world of the 'net.  That should give you your first clue as to the high quality of this priceless gem.  It was bundled with an entire Wii fishing rod, which is far too cheaply made to be even a product of some Chinese sweatshop (by the way, Bai Xing, get your ass back to work and make daddy some money). 

I should have held up the hand and stopped this foolishness right then and there.  I should have just said no.  I should have asked politely if That Guy had ever heard of this game, the product, or hell, even any of the developers.  I should have punched him out, stolen his wallet, and ran before he could have spent his admittedly hard-earned money on this gaming equivalent to being the recipient of a Cleveland Steamer.  But no, ladies and gents.  I was tired, and I really, really, really hate That Gigantic Clusterfuck of a Superstore Run By Satan and His Minions, so instead of saying anything, I grunted a noncommital response to his orgiastic enthusiasm for the game, and we got the hell out of Dodge. 

Two hours later, and That Guy is powering up his Wii, putting together the fishing rod, and practically bouncing out of his chair.  Me, I was cringing and waiting for the inevitable "What the fuck?"  I wasn't disappointed.  After about five minutes of near apoplexy from winging his arm at the screen trying to get the broken game to read his movements, That Guy finally delivered that fabled cheap-ass game discovery phrase.  And I, dear Reader, was left with that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach - and no, it wasn't from the ridiculous amount of Little Caesar's pizza I had scarfed earlier.  This was guilt.  Because of my laziness and abhorrence of That Huge Hellish Superstore, That Guy wound up with a shitty fishing game and obscenities stuck in his craw. 

Don't be a tool.  Never, ever let your friends implusively buy shitty games.  The more you know...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

People, if you're on this site and reading this, no Vegas bookie would take the odds that you don't do your homework on games, be that a review, preview, demo, or a variant on Giant Bomb's own Quick Looks.  You're also probably smart enough to tell people, "Hey, you really should check that game out before you buy it, you know?"  Friends, I made a horrible mistake today by not emphasizing that point again and again to someone who should know better.  

You know the type of guy.  He knows just enough about computers and eBay to make purchases, and despite the fact that this person has been burned on a dozen different used purchases, still makes the same goddamn rookie mistakes.  He's the guy that opens every forward because he knows who sent it to him, and "that guy wouldn't send me a virus!"  He's the guy with a computer always loaded with viruses, bugs, spyware, and a metric ton of shitty bargain bin games, save for the ones you've purchased for him.  He's the guy with a console, with one or two good games and twenty copies of shit similar to Cabela's Big Game Hunting and Raving Rabbids.  Yep, he's That Guy. 

Well, today, I had a chance to stop That Guy from making one hell of a dumb mistake.  We were at That Big Superstore Run By Satan's Minions, and I was doing my thing, buying up stock in Axe, cheese, and chimichangas (oohhh, chimis - I'm gonna write you an epic later.  No, an ode.  Something.), when That Guy comes at me with a cart full of his junk and a big shiny copy of... you know, I have no goddamned clue what the name of this heap of steaming shit is.  I think it's called X5 Fishing, but I can't find anything about it on the wide, wide world of the 'net.  That should give you your first clue as to the high quality of this priceless gem.  It was bundled with an entire Wii fishing rod, which is far too cheaply made to be even a product of some Chinese sweatshop (by the way, Bai Xing, get your ass back to work and make daddy some money). 

I should have held up the hand and stopped this foolishness right then and there.  I should have just said no.  I should have asked politely if That Guy had ever heard of this game, the product, or hell, even any of the developers.  I should have punched him out, stolen his wallet, and ran before he could have spent his admittedly hard-earned money on this gaming equivalent to being the recipient of a Cleveland Steamer.  But no, ladies and gents.  I was tired, and I really, really, really hate That Gigantic Clusterfuck of a Superstore Run By Satan and His Minions, so instead of saying anything, I grunted a noncommital response to his orgiastic enthusiasm for the game, and we got the hell out of Dodge. 

Two hours later, and That Guy is powering up his Wii, putting together the fishing rod, and practically bouncing out of his chair.  Me, I was cringing and waiting for the inevitable "What the fuck?"  I wasn't disappointed.  After about five minutes of near apoplexy from winging his arm at the screen trying to get the broken game to read his movements, That Guy finally delivered that fabled cheap-ass game discovery phrase.  And I, dear Reader, was left with that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach - and no, it wasn't from the ridiculous amount of Little Caesar's pizza I had scarfed earlier.  This was guilt.  Because of my laziness and abhorrence of That Huge Hellish Superstore, That Guy wound up with a shitty fishing game and obscenities stuck in his craw. 

Don't be a tool.  Never, ever let your friends implusively buy shitty games.  The more you know...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I never do. The less money they have, the less money they have to lend me!!!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

I don't let them either. 

Although i once saw someone buy Rogue Warrior at full price, but i couldn't do much. My friends were the clerks at the store. Thr guy's worse buy of the year probably. lol 

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
@Abyssfull:
You know, that's a darn good point!
Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MancombSeepgood

I try and prevent my parents from buying my little brother movie tie-in games. They're terrible, but they don't understand that.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By loopy_101

Honestly I'd let him buy it, so long as it is less than £10. Donkeys tend to be hilarious and make a good night's worth of entertainment despite being very, very crappy.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Mrnitropb

Does this count for all the stupid sheep that impulsively buy random shit they will never EVER play fro every Steam sale? There seems to be a frighteningly large number of them here.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

I unfortunately, let that guy make impulse buys too. I feel really geeky telling my friends about how I research so many games, so I let a couple of unknown games fly by every once in awhile. I'll usually fight it though with a "we should check this out before we waste our cash", even if I already know it's garbage.

Anyone else feel weird researching games even if you didn't plan on buying it, and know you never will?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous
@Mrnitropb said:
" Does this count for all the stupid sheep that impulsively buy random shit they will never EVER play fro every Steam sale? There seems to be a frighteningly large number of them here. "
Oh, come on, I'll play most of it eventually.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Well my cousin and I sometimes talk about buying and/or playing the same games and I get a bit pissed when he buys a crappy game without telling me about it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Mrnitropb said:
" Does this count for all the stupid sheep that impulsively buy random shit they will never EVER play fro every Steam sale? There seems to be a frighteningly large number of them here. "
I can quit any time I want! I bought X-COM Apocalypse, and even though it's a fairly shitty game, it was only $3! How can you argue with savings (those savings being $2) like that!  

I know people kind of like that. One of my friends has two little brothers with generally bad tastes in games. It's not my place however, to tell them what to buy with their parent's hard earned money.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Aus_azn
@Mrnitropb said:
I set my threshold for that at <$2, or >90% off. Command and Conquer: RA3 was a mistake. 

But that aside, I tend to turn people away from buying discount games period. They're almost always crap wallowing in the swamps of Wal..oh, wait, Satan's store. Unless it's a Blizzard Battle Chest, which my local one has a notorious habit of putting on sale for outrageously low prices.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Oh nicely written! Good stuff!

I too have such a friend that kinda proclaims any game he likes the cover of game of the month and gets ready to spend a way to high price for it.
He was hellbent on buying it, I advised against it and if he really wanted it I told him to buy the used version which was 20 euro instead of the full 60, but he wouldn't have any of it!
Told me I was a Nintendo fan girl and didn't know jack about the PS3 (I'll give him that).
Few days later he was mad at the store he couldn't return it, turned out to not be worth 60 euro, heh.

Also, Viking, my budget catch of the century probably, what a great game!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude
@Xtrememuffinman said:
" I unfortunately, let that guy make impulse buys too. I feel really geeky telling my friends about how I research so many games, so I let a couple of unknown games fly by every once in awhile. I'll usually fight it though with a "we should check this out before we waste our cash", even if I already know it's garbage.  Anyone else feel weird researching games even if you didn't plan on buying it, and know you never will? "
That's what I do on the internet most of the time. Research games I know I will never buy. I like it almost as much as playing video games.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They never listen so i stopped

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dalai

Hey! 

I like the Raving Rabbids games. 

But overall, I think we've all been there at some point. I saw someone around Christmas time pick up Tony Hawk: RIDE and I wanted to knock that piece of shit out of her hands. Luckily the friends and family I have that play video games typically make good purchases... even my parents who were notorious for making awful NES and SNES purchases during my childhood have learned their lesson... they don't buy games anymore.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MysteriousBob

If I try and stop them they just think I'm being a dick so I don't bother. That doesn't stop me from moaning when I see a copy of Avatar the Game on a friend's shelf.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman

What idiot would ever buy even a well known fishing game? 

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By CandleJakk

I am fortunate enough to have family that will ask either me or my brother about games before buying anything. Most of my friends are fairly avid gamers, so this problem fortunately doesn't arise for me.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EVO

You place far to much faith on the internet. Sure, 99 games out of 100 will probably suck, but eventually he'll find a game undiscovered by the masses and message boards alike that is truly a hidden gem.

Eh, who am I kidding? The internet knows all.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ninjakiller

I used to care...I really did.  I now look at it as the uniformed get what they deserve.  I've been applying the same thinking to politics lately.  You want to treat corporations as people?  Fine let's fully embrace that America, I have skills I'll just go to Canada.  

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By meteora

Wow, that must really suck for him. 

I don't really have this issue with any of my friends. They know their purchases of at least common and popular games like Modern Warfare 2, though I wouldn't go as far as other less popular but well polished games.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
@Xtrememuffinman said:
"I unfortunately, let that guy make impulse buys too. I feel really geeky telling my friends about how I research so many games, so I let a couple of unknown games fly by every once in awhile. I'll usually fight it though with a "we should check this out before we waste our cash", even if I already know it's garbage.  Anyone else feel weird researching games even if you didn't plan on buying it, and know you never will? "

To an extent, I agree with you.  My best friends know how much I love and research games, but they're nerds and geeks in their own way so they tend to understand.  But people like That Guy tend to overplay their own "great deal" compass and blow off anything you'll say anyways, so I'm learning to just play dumb with most people.  It's the same way with computers.  When most people talk about simple problems on their computers, I very rarely offer help anymore, simply because once they know that you know the fundamentals of computers, they'll never stop hounding you for help.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

i stop my friend from buying crappy games. he said he enjoyed playing two worlds. i was just mad at him for buying that game. it has crappy graphics, laggy game, horrible voice overs. he has a thing for crappy games.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By RenegadeSaint

It's so painful to watch!  But alas, there will always be pigeons flocking to the superstore to burn their cash.  The best we can do is place our monies in the coffers of proficient developers.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demyx

most of my friends know what they're doing so I don't need to say anything.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By DjCmeP
@Claude said:
" @Xtrememuffinman said:
" I unfortunately, let that guy make impulse buys too. I feel really geeky telling my friends about how I research so many games, so I let a couple of unknown games fly by every once in awhile. I'll usually fight it though with a "we should check this out before we waste our cash", even if I already know it's garbage.  Anyone else feel weird researching games even if you didn't plan on buying it, and know you never will? "
That's what I do on the internet most of the time. Research games I know I will never buy. I like it almost as much as playing video games. "
Me too. It's fun to know about different games and the 2nd reason why I research games is that that my friends usually ask me about the quality of some games.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By Icemael

All my friends (and family) either have at least okay taste in games or don't game at all, so thankfully, I don't have to deal with crap like that.