Games that people will still talk about in 2050?

• 59 results
andymc1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By andymc1989

So in the year 2050, what games will live on as timeless classics, that still live on the minds of everyone, even if you weren't alive or don't like games? I've made a list of 10 that I reckon. It'd be cool if you made a list before you looked at mine so you're not swayed, or not, I'm not your boss.

My List 

What do you's think?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Singularity!

maybe...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Devil Survivor, because I'll still be the only one who fucking hates that game :P.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

I agree with the list. 

For me all games remembered in 2050 will come to one. Fallout, as we will be living an nuclear holocaust. :p

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Gabriel
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

EDIT:  Hey, it was right.  It was on there.           :D

No Caption Provided
krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By krystians

Like I wrote already, I agree with the list. Maybe Half Life 1 or 2.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

Out of all the games I can think of that have been released recently, Heavy Rain is the only one that springs to mind as something that will be remembered. Maybe Minecraft too.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I mean that's a pretty decent list for memorable games as of today since a lot of those games are classics which have shaped where we are today in gaming. In another 40 years though I think a list of memorable games will have 2 or 3 of those games at the most, probably just Pong and Mario. 

For more modern games I think GTA, Halo, Rockband, LBP2, Heavy Rain and WoW are the sort of games that might be considered memorable in 2050.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MysteriousBob

Eternal Champions.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Gargantuan

Who cares about games that are 40+ years?

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Daryl

Zathura

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By beargirl1
andymc1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By andymc1989
@Gargantuan said:

" Who cares about games that are 40+ years? "

Well lots of people think that Pong is a very important part of video game history, and that's 28 years old.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By xyzygy

Halo, Half Life, Zelda, Mario, Rock Band, GTA, Starcraft (as much as I hate it).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

I think in 40 years people won't give a shit about what games we played.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By PerryVandell

myNotebook: Tan.

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KingPossum

Rogue Warrior 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo
arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By arca

Putting in all those old classics is a get out of jail free card, try doing it again with modern games and you will realise that most of them do not have that longlevity factor. 

World of Warcraft. (Hey, Blizzard will milk that cash cow until it's completely dry. It could still even be running in 2050.) 
Heavy Rain (or it's sequel or similar game if they are able to match or beat it in terms of story and gameplay. Maybe the move and kinect controls could end up making an extremely realistic version.)

andymc1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By andymc1989
@arca: Well that's the point of it, isn't it? There aren't all that many 'modern' classics, hence my most recent is from 2001.
Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Tetris. Always, Tetris.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

mario will be one of them. people are still talking about it.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#25  Edited By Grumbel

Good question. I don't think there will be many games that people will still talk about in 40 years, at least not when it comes to specific releases. For example when it comes to games like Tetris, even today, people don't really talk about the GameBoy version or the original computer version, instead they talk about the game mechanics itself and how they have manifested in hundreds or thousand of clone games, no specific versions really stands out. Same with Pong, most younger people probably never touched the original arcade version, but they know the mechanics. So those non-story driven games have pretty much entered our culture in the same sense that Chess has and will probably still be around in 40 years.  Mario will probably also still be known, but not so much for SMB, but for the Mario character that gets recycled and reused in newer games, kind of the same that Mikey Mouse is known today.

I would guess that a game like GTAIII is mostly forgotten by then, as to many other open world games will have followed by then and GTAIII itself isn't really the kind of game that you want to replay 20 years later, as it already shows its age.

Some heavily story based games might also have a chance to still be remembered, LucasArts adventures have survived the last 20 years pretty much unscratched, they might survive the next 40 years as well. I guess having an Open Source engine in the form of ScummVM helps a lot, as it allows quick porting to almost every platform. Same is true for Doom, while its gameplay might seems old school by now, having an Open Source engine keeps the game around on every new platform. A game like The Longest Journey on the other side, while it might hold up due to its story, will probably have a much harder time surviving the years, as emulating it is a little more tricky. Of course in the end with things like Virtual Consoles and Apple AppStore the whole Open Source thing might become much less important, as in the last years companies have entered the emulation area and provide nicely packaged commercial offerings.

MMORPGs or online in general is actually quite interesting in that regard, as what is left of the game when the server goes down? In the best case you might find some pirated server that can still run the game, but even then you might have trouble recreating the environment as a whole, with all the thousands of other players. MMORPGs are not really so much a single game, but an ever evolving thing. Whatever a World of Warcraft evolves into might still be their in 40 years or at least its sequels sequel, but WoW as we play it today will probably be long gone.

In the end I expect that we will probably be able to play every game in existence today on your mobile phone, simply because computing power and storage allows it, but actively playing and talking about them  will probably be limited to a few crazy gaming enthusiast and some weird old dudes (aka us by then).

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Axxol said:
" I think in 40 years people won't give a shit about what games we played. "
skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By skadbob

I agree with most of that list. If Steam is around in 40 years I would add Half-Life 2... specifically for being the title that launched Steam and partly pioneered PC digital distribution. Halo 2 is not a great, but it's the game that shaped Xbox Live (and other competing services) into what we know today. I think it also kind of pioneered the concept of console DLC... or at least popularized it. I would add those 2 games to the list purely from a business perspective.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Romination

Metal Gear Solid 2 and the Great Raiden Swap

johnlennon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By johnlennon

umm... Ocarina of Time anyone?

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShockD

World of Warcraft :)

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@johnlennon said:
"umm... Ocarina of Time anyone? "

I'd already say that it doesn't hold up that well.  It's remembered very fondly by those who played it "back in the day" but most gamers I know that only got into gaming recently would rather play Twilight Princess..  Same with Mario 64 vs Galaxy.  Currently, most of these games are remembered for their nostalgia factor, that's not going to apply in 40 years. 

I'm sure there will still be retro gamers who can look back, enjoy the classics and say things like "hey, remember Viva Pinata?  that was amazing".  But as for games that will really still be remembered?  I can't think of many.  Improved technology and remakes/sequels make old games obsolete very quickly..  Things like Half-Life 2, which may seem groundbreaking today, likely won't be much more than a footnote.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RobotHamster

Pokemon.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Jimbo said:

" They'll still be discussing whether or not Gran Turismo 5 will make its latest release date.

"
C'mon now, we're talking about 2050 here - you know full well GT5 will be out.
Shit, Polyphony will probably be well into delaying GT6 by then. :P

....and in honor of your pic, I'LL still be talking about Full Throttle.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Kapow

No Caption Provided
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By penguindust

Pac-Man, Tetris, Pong...that's about it.  Every other game will have been eclipsed by whatever is current and being beamed into gamers heads directly.  There are only a handful of games released 30 years ago that kids today have any interest in playing.  40 years from now it will be even worse since those players will have been born farther from the games released in the 80's or early 90's.  Only the most critically important games whose game play itself is paramount will continue to exist in gamers' minds.  Look at movies and music.  How many people here are interested in seeing movies made 40 to 70 years ago?  How about listening to music made before 1960?  The farther removed something exists from a person's lifetime, the smaller the chance they'll be interested in it.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#36  Edited By jacksukeru

Duke Nukem Forever 2, and whether or not it will actually come out.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By jimi

Who's going to give a shit about games in 2050? I'm going to be flying my jet-pack away from the nuclear zombie hordes towards the moon. 

Also hover-boards.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Nekroskop
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By haggis

The early games mattered because they were new, and there was so little competition. Also a lot of room for innovation. Now, not so much. Most of the innovation we see now is very incremental. And gamers these days are wont to slam games as crap (even when they were groundbreaking) just a few years after release. So I doubt any games made after, say, 1990, are really going to stick with people as classics. The only exception I could think would be applicable is if someone really and truly creates a new style of gaming. I'm not talking these motion controls everyone is currently obsessed with, but something truly different.

In 2050, I doubt the OP's list will have changed at all. Those will be, essentially, the only "classic" games people talk about. We might see one or two added, but that list is, in my opinion, going to be pretty permanent.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GoofyGoober
@AjayRaz: Sweet jesus.....That game was horrible.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#41  Edited By citizenkane
kalles0ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kalles0ee

the sims, maybe. Counter strike 
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tennmuerti
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HandsomeDead

Dark Sector.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By A_Dog

Oink!

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#46  Edited By Grumbel
@PenguinDust said:

How many people here are interested in seeing movies made 40 to 70 years ago?

I think movies hold up much better then games, since movies even 40 years ago already where 50 years old, so most of the techniques where already established and well understood. Also the "graphics" of a 40 year old movie can still look pretty much just as good as of a movie today. What makes movies age is how they are embedded into the culture of the day, not the technology. Movies like say 2001 or Casablanca still hold up quite well and even StarWars is already nearing the 40 year mark and still extremely popular, because the story telling they provide still can messure up to todays films.

Games on the other side, which the exception of "mechanical" games like Tetris, are pretty much a constant race for new technology, a game from even 10 years ago will look completly out of place in todays gaming world, many of the early 3D titles would be considered unplayable by a younger gamer due to their horrible framerates. 2D games have it a little easier, since their look can be seen as an art style not as a technical limitation, but in the 40 years to come, I am not really sure how many of those games will be able to stand out, as in those years probably plenty of new titles in the same genre will enter the market.
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Guitar Hero 57 : Legends of Emo

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By penguindust
@Grumbel:   I agree with what you are saying but my comment has less to do with the technology and more to do with the psychology.  Sadly, the majority of younger people aren't interested in learning or experiencing much outside the period that they've been alive.  "History" is a bad word and has to be redefined as "classic" or "retro" to even get a response.  Forty years from now, gamers aren't going to be interested in playing games from today or the past decade not only because they look old but because they are old.  If given the choice between watching a movie made in 2000-2010 and one made in the 50's or 60's, most will chose the more recent offering.  And, even in a hypothetical situation, if games don't progress too far from today's standard in the next 40 years, and all things are potentially equal, players will still choose games made in 2050 over the Half-Life 2's, Starcrafts, and Super Mario Galaxy's of today. 
Okari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Okari

Mirror's Edge, but only because that will be the year the sequel finally comes out.