• 66 results
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By raddevon

Let's make a list of great games that people have commonly missed. I will try to keep a running list here in the original post based on responses to this thread. Perhaps when the thread has slowed, I will make a proper list and post the URL here.

There are tons of games that get overlooked for all sorts of reasons: they are released at the beginning or end of a console's life cycle, they don't do well with the critics, they are released at crowded times, they are part of limited print runs, etcetera. 

Here are some guidelines. Please only list games that can be played today. Do not list MMOs that have already closed up shop. Please list the platform along with the title of the game so that we can keep the list organized. *New guideline*: As suggested, I will only add a game to the list if I receive suggestions from two of you for that game for quality control purposes. As a result, suggest any game you want that is not on the list even if it has been suggested. If I agree with a game posted, I will provide the second suggestion and add it to the list.

My list is heavily inspired by the Rebel FM game club with some of my own tossed in for good measure. I'll get things started.

Playstation (PSOne)

Dreamcast

PS2

Xbox

Gamecube

Xbox 360

PS3

DS

PC

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By skrutop

I really liked Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy for the Xbox, PS2, and PC.  It starts off as a generic Splinter Cell clone, but it quickly goes off on its own, very interesting, path.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By raddevon

Don't forget to list platforms, please. If it's available for multiple platforms, pick your favorite.

Luckily, I happen to know the platforms of those three.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pie
@skrutop said:
" I really liked Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy for the Xbox, PS2, and PC.  It starts off as a generic Splinter Cell clone, but it quickly goes off on its own, very interesting, path. "
Seconded
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ineedaname

Psi ops was meh, Second sight was alot better.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By raddevon
@Ineedaname: Do you want Second Sight on the list? What platform(s) was it released on?
Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Silent Hunter III, PC

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us

I played almost all of the games on your list. Repulic Commando is one that I really would have liked the play though.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hitchenson
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pie
@Ineedaname said:

" Psi ops was meh, Second sight was alot better. "

Wrong

@raddevon

said:

" @Ineedaname: Do you want Second Sight on the list? What platform(s) was it released on? "

Xbox, PS2, PC and gamecube
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pie
@Ineedaname: Actuaaly now that i think about it Second sight might of been better. I just remember Psi-ops more because i had a pretty good time going through co-op in it with a friend
Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Metasin

Prey is also on 360, and Republic Commando was released on the original Xbox as well .

Armed & Dangerous for the original Xbox is worth playing just for the comedy.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By samfo

Dreamfall Longst Journey - on Xbox and PC great user review of it is currently featured and it's a stellar game, also on xbox originals!

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By raddevon

Thanks to everyone so far for your contributions. I think I have the list up to date as of right now.

Don't worry too much about trying to gauge whether a lot of people missed your game or not. You would need sales numbers to be absolutely certain anyway, and I don't expect anyone to go to that trouble. Just go with your gut! If you feel like people missed it, chances are there are some who did.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pie
@raddevon said:
" Thanks to everyone so far for your contributions. I think I have the list up to date as of right now.

Don't worry too much about trying to gauge whether a lot of people missed your game or not. You would need sales numbers to be absolutely certain anyway, and I don't expect anyone to go to that trouble. Just go with your gut! If you feel like people missed it, chances are there are some who did. "
The achievments on giant bomb can help too
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By skrutop
Metal Arms: Glitch In The System (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and it's an Xbox Original release on the 360 Marketplace) was a pretty good 3rd person shooter.  I'd say that it thematically resembles Ratchet and Clank (with all of the robots running around), but it's not as quickly paced.  The characters were quirky, and there's some interesting mix-and-match capabilities between equipable items and weapons.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By mracoon
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By skrutop
XIII (PS2, Xbox, PC, Mac, Gamecube) got a bit of a bad rap when it came out.  My perception was that it was hyped up due to its unique cel shaded presentation and use of well-know voice actors, but then received mixed reviews because it wasn't the next Halo.  In reality, it was a well-executed FPS whose gameplay wasn't terribly unique or memorable.  However, it's comic book-style presentation was very well done, and the game was a lot of fun.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By RHCPfan24
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raddevon
@Pie said:
" @raddevon said:
" Thanks to everyone so far for your contributions. I think I have the list up to date as of right now.

Don't worry too much about trying to gauge whether a lot of people missed your game or not. You would need sales numbers to be absolutely certain anyway, and I don't expect anyone to go to that trouble. Just go with your gut! If you feel like people missed it, chances are there are some who did. "
The achievments on giant bomb can help too "
How would you go about mining that data? I'm not terribly familiar with the Giant Bomb achievements feature.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pie
@raddevon said:
" @Pie said:
" @raddevon said:

The achievments on giant bomb can help too "
How would you go about mining that data? I'm not terribly familiar with the Giant Bomb achievements feature. "

Look on the right hand side at the number of players
OroYoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By OroYoke

Silent Hunter 4 for the PC.  Been wanting to get this and forgot about it as so many games came out.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By raddevon
@Pie: Very cool. Thank you. It would be really nice if they had a sortable table with the data for every game.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By penguindust
The Suffering for the PS2/Xbox was a horror based third person shooter/beat' em up with a plot line whose outcome depended on how brutal you played the character over the course of the game.  IT took place in a prison that had been over run with demons and other underworld creatures.  You played a dude who was there because he may (or may have not) killed his own family.  As you fight your way out, you will occasionally be overcome by madness and transform into a large killing beast.  It's a bloody and disturbing game, but pretty fun just the same.
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By Griddler

I've played XIII (PS2), Canis Canem Edit (Bully) ((PS2)), Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (PC) and Psychonauts (PC)
But I was'nt very impressed with Dreamfall.. Probably because the first one is my favourite game ever.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By Jeust

REZ for the PS2 and Dreamcast. 

Lost Magic for the DS.  

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne for the ps2. 

Fl0w for the ps3 and pc. 

Jade Empire for the PC, xbox, xbox live and Mac.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I could list plenty of old PC games that people have missed (mostly ones with the words "Might and Magic" in the title). However, most of them came out before 2000, and therefore would not fit with the flavor of this list.

TiggNine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By TiggNine
@Hitchenson said:
"A lot of people most likely played it, then again, a lot wouldn't have; Jet Set Radio Future - Xbox. "

dude that game and the one for dreamcast jet grind radio were really fun....i wish they would make a wii version....would be good to use with wii motion plus to spray paint
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By skrutop

I had a lot of fun with Wild Arms 3 (PS2).  It's a fairly conventional JRPG, but the Wild West theme made it interesting.  If you don't like JRPGs, then you certainly won't like this game.  I played WA4 as well, and thought it was total trash.  So I wouldn't recommend it.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust
@skrutop:  That's good to hear.  I have that exact game (WA3) on my shelf unplayed and have been pondering if I want to settle into it right now.

By the way, should Beyond Good & Evil (PS2/Xbox/NGC/PC) make the list?  It's a great game, but it sold crappy.  However, it's since become a classic in most peoples eyes.  So, maybe people have played it by now via trade and rental.  Just wondering.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By raddevon
@PenguinDust: It makes my list. I bought the game a few months back (since I missed it in the beginning) and still have yet to get through it. Thanks for reminding me!
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeust

The Witcher for pc 

"A witcher! Hide your woman!" 

Theme Hospital for pc, playstation, ds and playstation network 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By trophyhunter
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlowHands
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I absolutely loved Psi Ops, by far one of my favorite games of last generation. I've said it many times already, and I'll say it again here: 

With the success of games like The Force Unleashed, I think Psi Ops 2 could be a big seller if marketed properly (demo's, commericals, etc. etc.) and even make people look back on the original. While TFU did have the Star Wars name behind it to help sell copies, the familiarity between the two games could draw in the more casual crowd.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tuggah

Any game before 2006.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By JJOR64
Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Berserker976
Morrowind  for PC and Xbox, I spent many months enjoying the hell out of the game, and I think there are a lot of people out there that got into the Elder Scrolls series through Oblivion.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By skrutop
Shadow Hearts: Covenant (PS2) is another JRPG that I really enjoyed.  It's a sequel to a game that I haven't played, so I was a bit lost at times, but I still liked the story.  It's set in Europe during World War I, but in an alternate reality where magic, demons, and all-around weirdness are normal.  It had a very goofy sense of humor about it.  Combat and mini-games were based around the Judgement Ring system, which required precise button presses to pull off attacks.  It was a very cool system, and very fun to play.  

The third game, Shadow Hearts: From The New World, is totally unrelated to the first two, so it could be a good starting point as well.  It made some improvements in the mechanics of the game, and featured a native American chick that takes her clothes off, so it had that going for it.  :P However, I really didn't like FTNW's story as much, and found it to basically just recycle most of the elements of Covenant.  Of course, that's pretty common in JRPGs, but I just didn't like it as much.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By xyzygy

Psychonauts, XBOX (wasn't it originally an Xbox exclusive?) 
Gunvalkyrie, XBOX  
Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, XBOX
Shenmue 2, XBOX 
 Enclave, XBOX (Starbreeze's second game) 
Baten Kaitos 1 & 2, Gamecube 
Breakdown (An amazingly unique take to the first person genre), XBOX 
Deathrow, XBOX 
Fatal Frame, XBOX 
 Gladius, XBOX  
Hunter: The Reckoning, XBOX 
Otogi: Myth of Demons, XBOX 
Otogi 2, XBOX 
Phantom Dust, XBOX 
Steel Battalion, XBOX 
Sudeki, XBOX 
Tao Feng, Fist of the Lotus, XBOX 
Full Spectrum Warrior, XBOX 
Panzer Dragoon Orta, XBOX  
Theif: Deadly Shadows, XBOX 
Wreckless, XBOX

This list really brings me back.
Exlutonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Exlutonian
Killer7 was a great PS2 game that I don't think many people played.
kratos187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By kratos187
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#44  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Suikoden (1 & 2 for PS1, 3-5 for PS2), Wild ARMS 4-5 (PS2), Rogue Galaxy (PS2), Dark Cloud 1 & 2 (PS2), Xenogears (PS1), Xenosaga 1, 2, and 3 (PS2), Anachronix (PC), Silent Storm Gold (PC), Titan Quest (PC), Dracula: Origins (PC), Timesplitters 2 & 3 (Xbox), Jagged Alliance 2 (PC), Gothic 2 Gold (PC), IL-2 Sturmovik (PC), and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (PC and Xbox).
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By raddevon

Holy crap! There are a lot of new ones to add. I'm adding them, but it may take a bit.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By SilvarusLupus

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devi Saga (1 & 2)

Not enough love was given to these games, and it's only just now people are starting to pick them up.

whooping_crane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By whooping_crane

Final Fantasy IX for the Playstation. I know it's a Final Fantasy and it's well known but it came at the end of the PSOne lifecycle and I think a lot of gamers missed it.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By leftie68

Freedom Fighters for the PS2.  It was arguably the most fun I had playing a PS2 game.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By penguindust
@SilvarusLupus:  Ha Ha!  Those two (along with Nocturne) just arrived in the mail for me today.  I can't wait to get into them.  Aggghhh!  Too many games to play.

@raddevon:  Before you go just complying every suggestion you may want to see what is actually still worth the playtime.  Not to be picky, but in some cases, nostalgia may be coloring our memories of some games.  I remember Tao-Feng: Fist of the Lotus as an ugly, janky fighter with shoddy controls.  And Wreckless was...well, boring.  It was supposed to be this great example of the original Xbox's power, but after about a couple of hours of play, I became bored out of my mind with it.  Actually, I used to go play Hunter: The Reckoning when I did get bored, because it was mindless carnage.  Hunter was a twin-stick zombie shooter...you'll see it premise again over the next few months as PSN releases 3 similar zombie games.  Not a new concept since all of those type of games are just reskins of Robotron 2084.  Not that there is anything wrong with a good simple twin-stick shooter.  All I am saying is that not every game is as timeless as some.  Many are a product of the age in which they were made and are better left to our memories.  Does anyone really want to play Darkwatch again?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#50  Edited By AgentJ

Since you dont have any true cube games on that list, I figure I should put a couple down: 
Baten Kaitos 
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes 
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 
Fire Emblem path of Radiance 
Odama 
F-Zero GX 
Tales of Symphonia 

Also, for dreamcast and cube, Skies of Arcadia Legends