• 90 results
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Choi

Ok, the quest and a strange feeling that I've been having for a long time made me write this.

Is it just me or is the GB staff morale gradually dropping?

First time I noticed was probably around the Monster Hunter Tri QL, continuing with Dead to Rights, Ironman 2 and Lost Planet 2 QLs. We can all argue if those are bad games or not, but I sense a drop in good spirit and/or  willingness and/or lack of love for what they do… I can even say I felt it here or there on the podcast as well. I don’t mind if they don’t like the game I find great, I’ve been with them from GS till now, so I know their tastes by now, it’s just that they don’t even care about them (games) , you know?

With all the fuss with the community lately, bans of certain members and some inappropriate comments directed towards the GB crew, (don’t comment so much on that, those topics have been done to death) I began to think that maybe the users are the ones that are demoralizing the GB team.

You know, kinda like rock stars rocking out on the stage for their fans, and not getting any good feedback, or even getting back the opposite.

I didn’t pay too much attention to the state of the community, the users, nor their contribution here, but maybe that’s why there’s lacking oomph?

Put yourselves in their shoes. If I ran a site and the users behave like dicks, I would strive less to make that site great. Just me and my work ethics I guess (I’m writing this at work so that says something  =) ).

Thoughts?

P.S. No matter what is stated above, I got to give props for Brads Alan Wake (video) review, not because I like the game to, but because the way it was written/spoken. Great and informative review.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By schizogony

If I was any of the GB staff, I would never, ever read these forums ever. So much vitriol here.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

those were just bad games (for them), you are just over dramatizing, a common theme on these boards. Besides E3 is in less than 1 month, they'll be quite peppy by then

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Rhaknar said:
" those were just bad games (for them), you are just over dramatizing, a common theme on these boards "
I agree. How would you feel if you had to deal with the recent crap list of games? Plus playing games for a living is not easy. You get bored after a wile. 
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By face15

I dunno. I think the community here is actually pretty good and maybe the lack of enthusiasm just comes from the lack of major games that have been released in the last couple of months. This time of year is really slow for the video game industry and I guess their jobs become pretty boring, from E3 onwards it will start to pick up.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

It's only a matter of time until they crack hehehe

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool

If they are upset by forum commentary, then perhaps they do need a new job.  I doubt it has anything to do with what you are perceiving though.

TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheClap

I remember Jeff and Brad talking on the Mobcast about how great it is at GB.  I think that was only a few months ago.  

I think what you're noticing is them taking a step back from "Yo, come check out our dope site!" to "Dude, we have a great site with lots of user generated content. Let's not screw it up."  It is like dating.  After a while, you stop ironing your pants for dates.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Cerza

I think they're just stressed. Tested.com went up a little while ago and now we just got Screened.com. It's a lot of work to launch a new website/database like that and I doubt Dave, Andy, and the rest of the Whiskey crew have the Giant Bomb guys solely working on Giant Bomb stuff. It just wouldn't make sense. So anyways that's my 2 cents.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By schizogony
@TheClap said:

" I remember Jeff and Brad talking on the Mobcast about how great it is at GB.  I think that was only a few months ago.   I think what you're noticing is them taking a step back from "Yo, come check out our dope site!" to "Dude, we have a great site with lots of user generated content. Let's not screw it up."  It is like dating.  After a while, you stop ironing your pants for dates. "

No more khakis with a cuff and a crease for Jeff? Awww man! That ain't gangsta!
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Choi
@Rhaknar:  @heatDrive88: I didn't mean to over dramatize, I just expressed my opinion/hunch/feeling, no need to get your panties in a bunch... 
 @Tennmuerti:  I LOLed.
@face15: Maybe. I didn't get that previous years. And I really think that the realease calander this year is far better then in the same time the years before. 
 @TheClap: That makes a lot of sense actually. =)
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Choi

Actually, I've was curious what you think about the rockstar-fan-feedback thing and do you think that bad (dickish) community feedback can affect the quality of their work.  
It would affect mine.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By coaxmetal

you mean morale? I think you mean morale.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool
@Riboflavin said:
" you mean morale? I think you mean morale. "
Did they have any morals to begin with  :/
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Geno

If there is any decrease in morale, I'm guessing it's because of the Endurance Run. Such a large endeavor surely takes a toll on people, especially if the point of it is to strain you out. 

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By sopranosfan

First Jeff has always been hard on gams.  Go back to Gamespot and look at his reviews from a decade ago, I wonder how many 9+ rated ratings he has ever given.  I usually just add a point to whatever Jeff gives as a way of comparing it to other reviewers.  Second as long as these guys have been working on the internet surely they know the mentality of it and realize that there will always be people that hate on things and people that passionately defend what they enjoy so I doubt they get to upset about what most people say on the internet which is why I was surprised over the last incident. 

Edit:  and my morals have been dropping for years now.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By schizogony
@sopranosfan said:
I usually just add a point to whatever Jeff gives as a way of comparing it to other reviewers.  
Ha, yeah, add a point to his Fallout 3 review and it's correct.
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Choi
@oldschool: @Riboflavin: yeah, sorry guys, I'm from Croatia, my english is a bit rusty =)  

@oldschool said:
" If they are upset by forum commentary, then perhaps they do need a new job.  I doubt it has anything to do with what you are perceiving though. "
Upset is not the right word. lack of motivation maybe? But I get your point...
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Choi said:

"You know, kinda like rock stars rocking out on the stage for their fans, and not getting any good feedback, or even getting back the opposite."

Then maybe those rockstars should listen to their fans and try to improve their music.
coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By coaxmetal
@Choi: oh, ok. Well, native English speakers get the words "moral" and "morale" confused too, which is one of the reasons it bothers me =P. Carry on then. In any case, I love what they are doing. And I usually don't read the forums (or comments) particularly because of people whining, so I imagine many readers are perfectly happy and just don't complain.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Choi said:
"Is it just me or is the GB staff morale gradually dropping?

First time I noticed was probably around the Monster Hunter Tri QL, continuing with Dead to Rights, Ironman 2 and Lost Planet 2 QLs."

If I had to review Iron Man 2 I would also be pretty fucking depressed. 

I think it's just a slow time for games. The podcasts haven't seemed any less enthusiastic so I believe you are just reading into it too much. 
As for this bullshit forum "drama" I don't think they really give a fuck to be honest, if they know it exists. It's their website and this is how it's run. Shouting and stamping your feet isn't going to do shit. 
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Choi
@sopranosfan: @schizogony: I didn't even mention review scores in this thread. They are not the issue here, I said I've been by those guys for a long time and I know their tastes. It's about the attitude towards games and/or work and the way the sites community can have an impact on it.
Horace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Horace

Meh.  Haven't really noticed this.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By sopranosfan
@Choi said:
" @sopranosfan: @schizogony: I didn't even mention review scores in this thread. They are not the issue here, I said I've been by those guys for a long time and I know their tastes. It's about the attitude towards games and/or work and the way the sites community can have an impact on it. "
Yeah but you mentioned their opinions on games and Jeff has always been hard on games.  Go back and watch his video reviews at Gamespot then and you will notice a similar attitude.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:

"You know, kinda like rock stars rocking out on the stage for their fans, and not getting any good feedback, or even getting back the opposite."

Then maybe those rockstars should listen to their fans and try to improve their music. "
Their "fans" are acting like fucking arrogant morons.
Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bloopa79Aus
@Geno said:
" If there is any decrease in morale, I'm guessing it's because of the Endurance Run. Such a large endeavor surely takes a toll on people, especially if the point of it is to strain you out.  "
I agree with that sort of , They cant hate there job that much if they are taking on crazy challenges like that for the viewers .
teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By teekomeeko

Really? You pick one game that probably none of them have a great interest in and three that are bad (in their opinions) and you expect them to be balls to the wall happy about it?

And these guys are internet born and bred game reviewers, the KNOW not to care about what we say, only what we do (visiting their site, watching their videos, etc.). Hell, I'd love to hear what Jeff honestly thinks of forum posters talking trash about everything - that would be a rant worthy of comparison to his snake-tongued Final Fantasy hatred.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Sweep said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:

Then maybe those rockstars should listen to their fans and try to improve their music. "
Their "fans" are acting like fucking arrogant morons. "
Cryptopsy changing over to shitcore is not my fault!!! The most brutal death metal band ever has turned their backs on the fans that made them what they were, that's not my fault! 

Oh...we're talking about other things...
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Choi
@Sweep said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:

Ok, no need to make the always angry guy angry =) 
But something along those lines. It's not the band that should change, they do things the way they want to, it's the fans that gotta find another band they'll like, right? 
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Daryl

There's probably more non-members that visit this site.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Choi said:
" @Sweep said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:

Ok, no need to make the always angry guy angry =) But something along those lines. It's not the band that should change, they do things the way they want to, it's the fans that gotta find another band they'll like, right?  "
I loyal fan sticks with their band, but a loyal band should stick with their fans. That's just my opinion.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By trophyhunter

what is brad sad I called him a dipshit like 100 times?
pathetic

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rhaknar
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:
" @Sweep said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:

Ok, no need to make the always angry guy angry =) But something along those lines. It's not the band that should change, they do things the way they want to, it's the fans that gotta find another band they'll like, right?  "
I loyal fan sticks with their band, but a loyal band should stick with their fans. That's just my opinion. "
they do. Just because a few nintendo fanboys hate them doesn't mean the comunity does. In fact, its quite the opposite. That's right,  I was tired of the band analogy
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Rhaknar said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:
" @Sweep said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:

I loyal fan sticks with their band, but a loyal band should stick with their fans. That's just my opinion. "
they do. Just because a few nintendo fanboys hate them doesn't mean the comunity does. In fact, its quite the opposite. That's right,  I was tired of the band analogy "
Word.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Sweep said:

" @Rhaknar said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:
" @Sweep said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @Choi said:

they do. Just because a few nintendo fanboys hate them doesn't mean the comunity does. In fact, its quite the opposite. That's right,  I was tired of the band analogy "
Word. "
WHAT THE FUCK!? I WAS TALKING ABOUT CRYPTOPSY! 

Have you heard their newest album with that song Worship Your Demons on it!? It's shit! 

Slit Your Guts and Crown of Horns remain their best songs.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#37  Edited By citizenkane

There has been a drought of good games that has resulted in them playing some bad games, which would make anyone feel a little down.

This new slate of good games this summer and E3 will pick them back up.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Hamz

I think people are looking into this way too deeply, there could be a tonne of things that cause any perceived changes to their attitude that we wouldn't know about!

If there is any change then I'd take a guess at it being because E3 is coming up, the Whiskey Media company as a whole is moving to new offices sometime soon and there is still every day work that needs done; reviews, previews, video editing and so forth. And not to mention Screened.com just launched and Tested.com is set to move out of its preview phase soon as well. Generally speaking there is a tonne of work to be done in the next few months across all areas.

It has nothing to do with recent internet drama, no matter how much people would love to think that is the reason :P

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Choi
@AlwaysAngry: Nah, man, to many bands, to little time. I won't blame my favorite band if they try something else- different and I don't like it. People change, so do priorities, feelings and opinions on life, work, music, games, you get the point. It's different for a _____(insert sport here) fan. They play the same game every time, same rules. So sticking by your favorite team as they are not doing so well, being loyal to them- I can get understand that. 

@trophyhunter: I'm talking more as a community as a whole. Your dislike for Brad is your thing. 
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Choi: Yeah well... 

NEW CRYPTOPSY STILL SUCKS!!!
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By EpicSteve

They've been in this business for years. You don't think they're used to playing bad games and having community members act like assholes?

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 9cupsoftea
@trophyhunter said:
" what is brad sad I called him a dipshit like 100 times? pathetic "
You called brad a dipshit 100 times? That is pathetic.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jimbo

The honeymoon period wasn't going to last for ever.  Morale isn't 'low', it's just gone from "This is an exciting adventure!" to "This is a job!".  This was inevitable and the same thing is reflected in the users.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Jeust
@Riboflavin said:
" @Choi: oh, ok. Well, native English speakers get the words "moral" and "morale" confused too, which is one of the reasons it bothers me =P. Carry on then. In any case, I love what they are doing. And I usually don't read the forums (or comments) particularly because of people whining, so I imagine many readers are perfectly happy and just don't complain. "
Yeah, the staff is fine... People just like whining and complaining too much as a way to break away with their boring lives.  
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By damswedon
@Rhaknar said:
" those were just bad games (for them), you are just over dramatizing, a common theme on these boards. Besides E3 is in less than 1 month, they'll be quite peppy by then "
or suicidal because it's E3
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By trophyhunter
@9cupsoftea said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" what is brad sad I called him a dipshit like 100 times? pathetic "
You called brad a dipshit 100 times? That is pathetic. "
it was more like 4 times
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Binman88

Can't say I noticed this decline in morale.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By rjaylee

Bottom line? You guys are totally being over-thinking emo-kids, right to the point where I'm becoming self-conscious about how often I am posting a Face Palm macro.
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Choi
@Hamz: I'm not saying it is, because this feeling I have is from way before I've even noticed what was going on in the community. As you can see, I wasn't a part of it myself, not an active one at least. Up till now. Just wanted to know do you think it  CAN have an affect, not if this particular case had an affect.  
@Jimbo said:
" The honeymoon period wasn't going to last for ever.  Morale isn't 'low', it's just gone from "This is an exciting adventure!" to "This is a job!".  This was inevitable and the same thing is reflected in the users."  
Word. Maybe that's it. It's not  degrading in quality, it's just different.
@heatDrive88:  Just curious for other peoples opinions heat. I'm not crushed or sad, just curious. But posting Face Palm macro's is fun I must say =)
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iam3green

i just think that it is something to do with outside of gaintbomb. they are confused. they are going to be happy again when E3 comes. i just think that it is their job and other whiskey media doing other things. 

it is anytime before they crack!!! they are going to kill everyone in the gaintbomb office.