#1 Edited by Winternet (8018 posts) -

Introduction

First of all, I want to thank for the classy banner. Thanks dude!

Welcome . . (is this on?) . . Welcome to the Golden Duder World Championship *pause for applause* During the month of May, many (32) glorious and famous individuals, known to the Giant Bomb community for years or even decades, will fight for the chance to become the

GOLDEN DUDER ! ! !

So, let me tell you what the hell is going on. Giant Bomb is pretty great. The staff, they're awesome, they make great stuff. And this concentration of great characters is bound to draw people into it, who are themselves fantastic people that do good stuff as well. Over the years, some of these people tend to have a closer relationship with the site. They're not just some industry names. Their names mean something to the community and they, in their own way, have contributed to make what Giant Bomb is today.

I have made a selection of 32 names who contributed to the site, be it from appearing on a podcast, or on a video feature, or by sending GOTY top10 lists and so on, and have placed them in a tournament bracket. They may be old co-workers or just friends, from the developer side of the industry or from the press side, even Whiskey Media staff / interns.

First of all, I want to say that

Yo, this is a popularity contest!

Not entirely accurate, but pretty much. The purpose is not to vote just based on "I like him more", but to acknowledge the duder who you think has made a better, bigger impact on Giant Bomb, be it from doing fun, wacky shit or creating more interesting discussions or whose ideas and opinions you value the most. Basically, the name who you most associate with Giant Bomb, apart from the staff obviously. That name, that duder, will be awarded the title of Golden Duder. That sounds hot!

Why?

Because . . well, because . . stop looking at me like that!

It's May, we're all waiting for E3, there's basically two video games to play this month and it seemed like a good, fun idea. I hope that you guys agree, because if not, then I spent way too much time on this.

Just show me the bracket! (updated)

Yep, there it is.

Schedule

Round of 32

DayMatchPoll StartsPoll EndsThreadResults
May 1stJohn Vignocchi vs Giancarlo Varanini / David Jaffe vs Adam Sessler14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 3rd 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereJohnny V and Adam Sessler
May 2ndJohn Drake vs Brian Ekberg / Steve "Lemon" Rodriguez vs Chris Remo14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 4th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereJohn Drake and Steve Lemon
May 3rdBrad Muir vs Jeremiah Slaczka / Eric Pope vs Jeff Green14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 5th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereBrad Muir and Jeff Green
May 7thPaul Barnett vs Bob Colayco / Adam Boyes vs Norman Chan14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 9th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHerePaul Barnett and Norman Chan
May 8thMatthew Rorie vs Rocco Botte / Gary Whitta vs Dan Teasdale14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 10th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereMatt Rorie and Gary Whitta
May 9thMatt "Bodega" Kessler vs Chris Tilton / Greg Kasavin vs Erik Wolpaw14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 11th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereMatt Kessler and Greg Kasavin
May 10thRich Gallup vs Michael Patcher / Dave Lang vs John "Cowboy" Bellomy14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 12th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereRich Gallup and Dave Lang
May 14thWill Smith vs Jared Rea / Leigh Alexander vs Carrie Gouskos14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 16th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereWill Smith and Carrie Gouskos

Round of 16

May 15thJohn Vignocchi vs Gary Whitta / Matthew Rorie vs Adam Sessler14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 17th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereJohnny V and Matt Rorie
May 16thJohn Drake vs Greg Kasavin / Matt Kessler vs Steve Lemon14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 18th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereGreg Kasavin and Matt Kessler
May 17thBrad Muir vs Dave Lang / Rich Gallup vs Jeff Green14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 19th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereBrad Muir and Jeff Green
May 21stPaul Barnett vs Carrie Gouskos / Will Smith vs Norman Chan14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 23rd 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHerePaul Barnett and Will Smith

Round of 8

May 22ndGreg Kasavin vs Jeff Green / Brad Muir vs Matt Kessler14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 24th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereGreg Kasavin and Brad Muir
May 23rdJohn Vignocchi vs Will Smith / Paul Barnett vs Matthew Rorie14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 25th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereWill Smith and Matt Rorie

Semifinals

May 28thWill Smith vs Greg Kasavin / Brad Muir vs Matt Rorie14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTMay 30th 13:30 PDT / 21:30 GMTHereWill Smith and Matt Rorie

Finals

May 30thWill Smith vs Matt Rorie14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTJune 1st 14:00 PDT / 22:00 GMTHereMatt Rorie
#2 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Varanini vs. Vignocchi? THAT'S RACIST

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

Can we just skip all this and give Johnny V the nod? I mean c'mon.

#4 Edited by EuanDewar (4915 posts) -

Why Rocco and not Derrick or Garret? They are the two finest members of Mega64, you downy clown ass fuck

#5 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@abdo said:

Varanini vs. Vignocchi? THAT'S RACIST

Leigh Alexander? That's (300) million bucks!

#6 Posted by Dethfish (3660 posts) -

No one beats Jeff Green

#7 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

Ok....so are there going to be daily polls, or do you just want us to put names in the comments?

#8 Posted by believer258 (11903 posts) -

I recognize far more names on the left side than the right one.

#9 Edited by Winternet (8018 posts) -

@EuanDewar: It has to have contributed somehow. Rocco has appeared on podcast and did a GOTY top 10 list.

@Brendan: daily polls. Well, not daily as you can see by the Schedule. But every couple of matches will have its own poll.

#10 Posted by deadly_polo (471 posts) -

Cool, though I think the left side is much stronger than the right side

#11 Posted by SoylentGreen (255 posts) -

KESSLER 2012 LET'S DO THIS

#12 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

@SoylentGreen said:

#13 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

I don't like the idea of pitting Kessler against Steve eventually, might have to determine that by coin flip

#14 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3867 posts) -

Leigh all the way!!!

#15 Posted by ADAMWD (591 posts) -

I'm with Rorie.

#16 Posted by DoctorSage (157 posts) -

Oh man. Between Will Smith, Rorie, and Kessler, this is going to be a tough one.

#17 Posted by fisk0 (4104 posts) -

I can't find Arthur Gies? Blasphemous.

#18 Posted by ShadowVirus (793 posts) -

Brad Muir!

#19 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1246 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Leigh all the way!!!

no way...

#20 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Oh hey Gamefaqs is here.

#21 Edited by Winternet (8018 posts) -

First poll is up! Start them votes. Remember, polls stay open for roughly 48 hours.

#22 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3867 posts) -

@NoobSauceG7 said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Leigh all the way!!!

no way...

Give me one good reason why not an I'll give you 775 000 000 why yes!

But in all seriousness, I think I might be on Team Muir for this one.

#23 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -

Oh god, I thought this was another iteration of the most popular user contest that happened some time ago. That got... ugly, if I remember correctly.

#24 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1246 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@NoobSauceG7 said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Leigh all the way!!!

no way...

Give me one good reason why not an I'll give you 775 000 000 why yes!

But in all seriousness, I think I might be on Team Muir for this one.

Cause of one Mr. John Vinocchi

#25 Edited by Jackhole (376 posts) -

I've got fat stacks riding on this. I'm going to win. What do I win, again?

#26 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

@Jackhole: Champagne wishes and 30 white bitches.

But, man, Jeff Green goes all the way to the finals? That is a bold prediction.

#27 Posted by Jackhole (376 posts) -

@Winternet: Jeff Green is my third favorite Jeff.

#28 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

@Jackhole: behind Jeff Goldblum, obviously.

#29 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@SoylentGreen said:

He's been kidnapping children for far too long.

#30 Posted by DigTheDoug (178 posts) -

What an awesome idea; props to you for putting this together. Don't let it waiver off!

#31 Edited by Winternet (8018 posts) -

Day Two Poll is up! Vote with your heart. Here's the link.

And remember that Day One is still active for another ~24 hours.

#32 Posted by FLStyle (4694 posts) -

I'm going to be upfront with you all and let you know I will vote against Leigh Alexander and Kessler, no matter who they're up against, for as long as they're in the competition.

#33 Posted by ADAMWD (591 posts) -

Just realized that you neglected to include Justin McElroy. He has had numerous hilarious appearances on GB.

#34 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

This is great. The only thing that would have made it better is if a final four of Rich, Bob, Greg and Carrie would've been possible.

#35 Posted by The_Reflection (249 posts) -

ROCOO BOTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

no but seriously you should have put mega64 as a whole, even though they won't win. I mean i'll vote for them but it'll be just me.

#36 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@ADAMWD said:

Just realized that you neglected to include Justin McElroy. He has had numerous hilarious appearances on GB.

Justin would've been a strong nominee, but he already has enough goddamn podcasts, he doesn't need to win the Golden Duder too!

I'm gonna go look up that Little Caesar's video now.

#37 Posted by Drebin_893 (2915 posts) -

I'm definitely not digging this idea.

#38 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

Day Three Poll is active. Start your voting . . now! Here.

#39 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

well Gouskos wins that

#40 Posted by Grimmy616 (401 posts) -

Where's Ulf and all the finish cats? They got the Bombsquad that "awesome" swedish candy and sürströmming

#41 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

Day Two is over. Check the results on the main page.

Friendly reminder that Day Three is open for another 24 hours here. Both Eric Pope and Jeff Green have rallied their troops and posted on the thread to get them some votes. Who will win?

#42 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

The Polls are back in action with Day Four, right here. From Paul Barnett to Bob Colayco, from Norman Chan to Adam Boyes, vote away!

#43 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

Rorie is going to win.

I see no redeemable quality regarding Kessler though...

#44 Posted by groin (847 posts) -

I cannot vote for Jared Rea because he took away the greatest stream monster tool on twitch. Stream monsters suffered a major setback when EMPJared was removed.

#45 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Gary Whitta is the winner. A legend among men.

#46 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Needs more Vinny.

#47 Posted by AllanIceman (1323 posts) -

Let's do this!

#48 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

This is going to be hilarious no matter who ends up winning. I approve of what's going here.

#49 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

Vote Black Dragon. YOU'RE NOT THE LORD OF THE RINGS!

#50 Posted by mason_pat (59 posts) -

If Johnny V doesn't win the whole thing I'm going to burn this website to the ground