• 84 results
Dragoon14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dragoon14

To me i think it would be star ocean: second story, or even final fantasy7. But my real time fav would be LOD(legends of dragoon), so many good rpgs to mention.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

*sigh* I hate it when someone is like FF7 is teh greatest thing evar when they probably haven't even played it and just think the characters look cool. Seriously, I bet if you play FF7 right now it won't be all that great.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama
@TheMustacheHero said:
" *sigh* I hate it when someone is like FF7 is teh greatest thing evar when they probably haven't even played it and just think the characters are interesting. Seriously, I bet if you play FF7 right now it won't be all that great. "
i just recently finished it for the third time when it was re released on the PSN. It holds up. 
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Akeldama: Still though, you know what I mean? FF7 is the most popular RPG ever...on the internet.

I see these people with Cloud or Sephiroth avatars and it wouldn't surprise me if some of them haven't even touched FF7.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akeldama
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Akeldama: Still though, you know what I mean? FF7 is the most popular RPG ever...on the internet.I see these people with Cloud or Sephiroth avatars and it wouldn't surprise me if some of them haven't even touched FF7. "
and there is a reason for that. Sure it is over rated, but there is a reason that was started. Its not like when someone says Halo is "teh best FPS evar". This has the legacy to back it up. Same with ocarina of time. 
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zyn

Final Fantasy X!

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Disgaeamad

Can we try and avoid yet another shitquake in an RPG thread, please?

As for me, my favourite has to be Final Fantasy IX. It's pretty much the perfect representation of what Final Fantasy should be.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ch13696
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Akeldama: Still though, you know what I mean? FF7 is the most popular RPG ever...on the internet.I see these people with Cloud or Sephiroth avatars and it wouldn't surprise me if some of them haven't even touched FF7. "
You can thank Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Or Kingdom Hearts. Some of my friends never touched FF VII but watched the movie and just love the characters. So it's more than just FF VII.

Anyways, the best RPG so far is of course FF VII or Legend of Dragoon. Or try Legend of Legaia. But best current console RPG is either Tales of Vesperia or Fallout 3. But, I can name so many good RPG's.
DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By DRE7777

FIIIINNNNAAAAAALLLLLL FFFFFAAAAANNNNNTTTTTAAASSSSSYYYYY SSSSEEEEEVVVVEEEEENNNNNN BBBBBAAABBBBYYYYY

No but seriously it is the best RPG i ever played, tied with Legend of Zelda Ocorina of Time. Iv played through Ocorina of Time like seriously 20 times cause after the first two it doesnt take long at all but its still awesome. And yeah for some reason i got to the very end of FFVII and i never beat it lol. And dont say i am a poser er w.e. cause i basically played the whole game. The thing both of them have in common is from the start of the game the story just draws you in. And in FFVII's case the combate and leveling to me never really felt like grinding or old because of the awesome summons and the way the game lets you level up as you play the game without making you devote hours to grinding. And Personally the FFVII story is the best story in an RPG iv played. (or basically any Final Fantasy game on the PS1)

I have never seen Advent Children or played the shooter of FFVII cause i desperately want to finish it before watching or playing it.

1a Final Fantasy VII
1b Legend of Zelda Ocorina of Time
3. (Forgot this one) KOTOR
4. Final Fantasy VIII
5. Final Fantasy IX
6. Metroid (Gamboy Advanced Game)-Great reamake of an already great game, if it counts as an RPG im not sure.

Still need to play a lot of 360 rpgs, chrono trigger, and the dot hack rpgs and star ocean rpgs so im not sure about them, also is pokemon and rpg lol? cause the originals are amazing.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By StarFoxA

Chrono Trigger.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JerichoBlyth

RPG Maker

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DRE7777

Iv always wanted to play Chrono Trigger but never got around to it.

And i never really got into FFX, i got like 20 hours into it and just never truely enjoyed it for some reason......

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Akeldama
@ch13696 said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
You can thank Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Or Kingdom Hearts. Some of my friends never touched FF VII but watched the movie and just love the characters. So it's more than just FF VII.
thats what im getting at. Its not just FFVII. Its the legacy behind it. 
Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Potter9156
I'm going with Morrowind. It is everything an RPG should be.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VWGTI

Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9, and 10 were masterpieces, but my all time favorite is Chrono Trigger. Such a fantastic blend of characters, character development, story, music, and gameplay.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By captain_clayman

i enjoyed earthbound and mother3 a lot, probably because i'm not much of an RPG guy.  i also liked golden sun a lot.

i played final fantasy 7 recently (my bro likes it because of the characters lol).  it's hilarious looking at those shitty character models in such beautifully drawn prerendered environments.

the game might as well have been 2d it would have looked better.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DRE7777
@Potter9156:
Yeah morrowind was good but oblivion improved upon eveything in such a great way i would say that one is better, and morrowind just got stagnent by being coverd by a glaze, if you will, over the story with so much shit going on lol
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King

Not counting spin-off genres (action, strategy, MMO), I'd say Final Fantasy VI. VII was good, but overrated.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By CL60

Final Fantasy X and Chrono Trigger

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Reading everyone's choices makes me realize how hard it is to choose a BEST one.  My PERSONAL favorite is CHRONOCROSS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Legend of Dragoon.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
@Bucketdeth said:
"The Legend of Dragoon."

See what I mean? loved that one, too.
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Pepsiman
@JerichoBlyth said:
" RPG Maker "
I laughed at this answer. In a thread bound to have a lot of repeats, I'm really glad somebody put that on there just because they could.

My personal answer to this? Persona 4, and when considering I already wrote up a review for it on this very site, I'm not going to go out of my way to justify that particular opinion for the umpteenth time. Those who are curious why know where to look.
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By ThomasP

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars and Chrono Cross.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#25  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Oooh!  I get to be an evil conformist!  Haha... Final Fantasy 7 is my favorite, followed very closely by Fallout 3 and Suikoden 5.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#26  Edited By vager

It's very actiony for a RPG but I'd say Nox. Multiplayer was fun as hell.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#27  Edited By AgentJ
@DRE7777 said:
"

FIIIINNNNAAAAAALLLLLL FFFFFAAAAANNNNNTTTTTAAASSSSSYYYYY SSSSEEEEEVVVVEEEEENNNNNN BBBBBAAABBBBYYYYY

No but seriously it is the best RPG i ever played, tied with Legend of Zelda Ocorina of Time. Iv played through Ocorina of Time like seriously 20 times cause after the first two it doesnt take long at all but its still awesome. And yeah for some reason i got to the very end of FFVII and i never beat it lol. And dont say i am a poser er w.e. cause i basically played the whole game. The thing both of them have in common is from the start of the game the story just draws you in. And in FFVII's case the combate and leveling to me never really felt like grinding or old because of the awesome summons and the way the game lets you level up as you play the game without making you devote hours to grinding. And Personally the FFVII story is the best story in an RPG iv played. (or basically any Final Fantasy game on the PS1)

I have never seen Advent Children or played the shooter of FFVII cause i desperately want to finish it before watching or playing it.

1a Final Fantasy VII
1b Legend of Zelda Ocorina of Time
3. Final Fantasy VIII
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Metroid (Gamboy Advanced Game)-Great reamake of an already great game, if it counts as an RPG im not sure.

Still need to play a lot of 360 rpgs, chrono trigger, and the dot hack rpgs and star ocean rpgs so im not sure about them, also is pokemon and rpg lol? cause the originals are amazing.

"
No Caption Provided
For future reference, Zelda and Metroid are not RPGs...
Does anyone else on this website consider either of those games to be RPGs?
And Dre, you do realize there are good rpgs outside of the Final Fantasy series right?

My own list would have these games, not necessairily in this order.
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Fallout 3
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Pokemon Silver
  • Mass Effect
  • The World Ends With You
  • Tales of Symphonia
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By atejas

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HAMMERCLAW said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
"The Legend of Dragoon."
See what I mean? loved that one, too. "
:   ), Yep I love it, and I heard a few weeks back that a second was in the making.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Claude

Something Dave Snide played on the PC.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheFreeMan

Gonna have to go with World Ends With You. Not only is it my favourite RPG, but back when Top 30 games lists were around I listed it as my top game. I love that damn game.

CaptSuavity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptSuavity

I have to say Oblivion because I loved playing every 300 hours I put into it, also Mass Effect because I loved the scifi fantasy world that it created.

GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GameFreak315

My favorite is Knights of the Old Republic.  I guess you could call it my gateway RPG.  :P

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DRE7777
@AgentJ:
I dont know how you cant count them, unless the only thing you call an RPG is a japanese game with monster fighting and a linear story with exploration, and a free roam american game with a story.

But going by what RPG means (if you didnt know its Role Playing Game) Zelda is one. And if we are discussing what an RPG is then is pokemon and RPG? Its different than most so it doesnt count just like Zelda. Not to mention games like Mass effect which i personally finished somewhere between 16-18 hours, which is a pathetic length excuss for an RPG so why dont we through that one out too.

But if you didnt read, i havent played many of the RPGs on the current gen yet (actually in the midst of playing a few) and i never owned a SNES so for me those are out.

And really, for top RPGs, Square has pretty much mad almost all of them.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Hailinel

Final Fantasy VI, Persona 3 & 4, and Valkyrie Profile are my all-time favorites, followed closely by Chrono Trigger.  I've played so many games in the genre over the years that it's hard for me to narrow it down to just one.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seedofpower
@atejas said:
"
"

I agree with that one.
PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PJ

Im not that big on nostalgia so every couple of years i get a new favorit game in just about ever genre. Thats because if you compare an old classic like say FFVII to a new game in the same genre say Eternal Sonata then FFVII would stand a chance if you choose your favorite game. FFVII was awsome but that was over 10years ago. Now putting aside obvious console and technical restrictions like graphics and sound then FFVII still wouldnt stand a chance since genres evolve all the time and generally in a way that makes them better. So if you compare what matters like story, characters and gameplay then most of the time its nostalgia that says that the old ass game is better when in truth thats not the case at all. You can see that in some traditional JRPGs that have been coming out recently for the 360 that are very similar to FFVII and other JRPGs form that time, but you feel that they aren't as good as them when the fact is they are just as good as those game but the bar for good games has been set alot higher.

And the more you play games you will start noticing that for yourself that theres a reason you still enjoy playing games is because they keep getting better and better all the time because other wise you would have stopt playing games a long time ago.

So my fav RPG and imo the best RPG ever is now Mass Effect.

Sorry for the rant but it's just the way it is. If you feel that the best games made are the ones that came out over 10years ago then why would you still be playing game?

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Mass Effect
Kotor
Oblivion

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ch13696
@DRE7777: I know exactly what your getting at. The reason why FF VII was so good (besides the materia system, freakin combos) was because when Aries died. You got to know her so much in the game. From her family to her past. And it just get's to us emotionally.

And dude. Legend of Dragoon. When was the last RPG that you can change into something else and control dragons. Besides Blue Dragon.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AgentJ
@DRE7777 said:
" @AgentJ: I dont know how you cant count them, unless the only thing you call an RPG is a japanese game with monster fighting and a linear story with exploration, and a free roam american game with a story. But going by what RPG means (if you didnt know its Role Playing Game) Zelda is one. And if we are discussing what an RPG is then is pokemon and RPG? Its different than most so it doesnt count just like Zelda. Not to mention games like Mass effect which i personally finished somewhere between 16-18 hours, which is a pathetic length excuss for an RPG so why dont we through that one out too.But if you didnt read, i havent played many of the RPGs on the current gen yet (actually in the midst of playing a few) and i never owned a SNES so for me those are out.And really, for top RPGs, Square has pretty much mad almost all of them. "
Okay, if you are going to call any game where you play a role, then you have to count almost every game ever made. in Mario you are playing a role. In halo you are playing a role. in Metal Gear Solid you are playing a role. You might want to work on your definition of an RPG. If you want solid proof that Zelda isnt an RPG then go
 here and check out the genres section on the right. You can do that on any major games site and you'll get a similar answer. 

Oh, and no, Square has not made most all of the top RPGs. Just the ones with the most press.
HaPpY_jUiCe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HaPpY_jUiCe

I'm suprised no one has even mentioned the first two Fallout games. The original Fallout would be my pick for the greatest RPG of all time. Especially since RPGs are so saturated with the whole "fantasy" and to some lesser extent "sci-fi". Another fantastic RPG (if you patch it) is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, though I know very few people that have played it. The dialog and voice acting (among other outstanding features) were drop dead awesome.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By snide

This thread makes me cry a little bit inside.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AgentJ
@snide said:
" This thread makes me cry a little bit inside. "
What would your choices be then?
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lies

Pretty much anything from Bioware.

Never really enjoyed the traditional sorts of JRPGs, but I don't think Bioware has made a game I don't like so far (although I did never play jade Empire).

SniperMOUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SniperMOUS

Only thing I don't get is why people seem to get so pissed when someone mentions a game like FFVII or other popular JRPG's... I mean, obviously the games had to have done something right for it to be so popular, right? I haven't played it myself but I don't get why so many people some to get so upset when people say they like it let alone when they say they love it. Am I missing something? (The same can be said about any game, really. Not just Final Fantasy)

Regardless, I have alot of favorites in RPG's being an avid RPG player but I'd say my favorites would consist of;

Golden Sun
Persona 4
Tales of Symphonia
Pokemon (all the versions, really)
Digimon World 2

Considering people are starting to argue about what a true "RPG" is I'm not sure if I should add the last two but whatever. I always considered them RPGs

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PureRok
@Bucketdeth said:
" @HAMMERCLAW said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
"The Legend of Dragoon."
See what I mean? loved that one, too. "
:   ), Yep I love it, and I heard a few weeks back that a second was in the making. "
No. Fucking. Way. Source this! I want to see it. Legend of Dragoon rocked!

I'd say some of my favorite RPGs are:

Final Fantasy (Yes, the first one)
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX
Legend of Legaia
Breath of Fire II
Lost Odyssey
Legend of Dragoon
Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest V
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Those are some of my favorite off of the top of my head.

I like other RPGs, too, but I just really like the 100% turn based RPGs (which are pretty much all JRPGs). Final Fantasy VI is the only RPG that's on my favorite RPG list that has ATB.
meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By meptron

best east: FFVI, followed by FFXII

best west: KotOR
Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy 9 have always had a pretty special place in my heart. It's hard to beat simply due to the nostalgia I feel whenever I vainly put it into my PS2, only to once again realize that the fucking laser is broken.

Sigh.

Aside from that I have a few others that I hold dear, but the overall impression FF9 made to me is just non-compareable.

gin_orphan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By gin_orphan

I think that the combination of a good (if at times overly philosophical) story, great battle system, and NO RANDOM BATTLES continue to draw me to Chrono Trigger. Add the multiple endings, the excellent score, and the great subquests, and it's a dead lock for me. I come back to this game time and time again, and the DS remake has only served to cement this further for me.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@DRE7777 said:
" @Potter9156: Yeah morrowind was good but oblivion improved upon eveything in such a great way i would say that one is better, and morrowind just got stagnent by being coverd by a glaze, if you will, over the story with so much shit going on lol "
Oblivion improved upon a few things..  But generally it wasn't as engaging or as exciting as Morrowind and it was massively dumbed down to appeal to a wider audiance.  The pre-generated terrain was also very boring..  At first it was great to see a wide open lush forest as opposed to Morrowinds ashland.  But there was absolutely nothing in Oblivion and the fast travel from anywhere and compass system killed the exploration and surprise and even if they weren't there..  the random loot made exploring pointless anyway, besides the Deadric shrines, there was no artifacts or rare weapons/armour to discover.

In the same way, you could claim Morrowind was dumbed down from Daggerfall, but I think it struck the right balance..  I hope the next Elder Scrolls games goes back to making things a little more complex and open, allow for more freedom without totally alienating those who might get confused easily.

Anyway, for my list:
1:  Planescape Torment
2:  Baldurs Gate II
3:  Knights of the Old Republic
4:  Mass Effect
5:  Morrowind