Has the removal of Forum Activity from the main page altered your forum use?

• 108 results
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Poll Has the removal of Forum Activity from the main page altered your forum use? (471 votes)

No change. 25%
I use the forums more. 2%
I use the forums less. 67%
The what was removed when now? Tralse! 6%

While it looks like it may be making a return according to the What we're working on page, front page forum activity is currently gone. Has this change had any effect on your forum usage on the site?

Was wondering whether or not this was actually affecting anyone other than myself. I personally almost never went into the forums unless a topic on the front caught my eye but do find myself more frequently clicking on forums to have a look see what's going on, but not nearly as much as I used to. I do still check up on @zombiepie 's weekly community spotlight. Overall though, much less than I used to -_-;; It might also be interesting if there were a way to have a Blog Activity type thing that mimics forum activity, cept. . . you know. . . for blogs. I feel like I'm missing a lot of interesting stuff that may even slip through zombie's sticky fingers.

• 
confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By confusedowl

I never even used the main page forum activity section so it hasn't altered my forum use at all.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Not a-what's the red line for?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Not at all.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I use 'em the same, but for some reason, they feel... emptier.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't think I'd ever clicked on the actual forum page until the redesign.

I am using them less simply out of apathy.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@canteu said:

I don't think I'd ever clicked on the actual forum page until the redesign.

I am using them less simply out of apathy.

Pretty much this. I find it funny that (I think it was Jeff?) said they thought basically no-one used that feature.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm just finding i'm less likely to jump in on random threads.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I now tend to stick with General Discussion instead of just going for what's interesting right then. Though now I'm wondering what affect on the traffic for non-General/Off-Topic threads this will have.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hardly ever used it. I generally just go to the forums front page, but sometimes (rarely) I scrolled down and saw an interesting thread.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By UitDeToekomst

Absolutely it has. Seeing the new topics at the bottom of the page was the main reason I had for visiting. Today is the first time I have visited since the redesign dropped.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fobwashed

Just had a stupid idea. What about a ticker? =P

No Caption Provided

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Yuppers. I pretty much never come to the site anymore since the redesign. Between the lack of that and videos being unwatchable I have not had a reason to come to the site. Really hope they fix the video thing first though.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fobwashed: That's an excellent idea actually. I'm glad someone proposed this. I don't visit the forums that much now that the forum activity isn't there and I've noticed the speed in which people respond to threads has decreased significantly.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a-what's the red line for?

It's serving its purpose admirably.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I really miss the achievement/trophy tracking a lot more than the forums.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grimluck343

@fobwashed that would actually be really cool. If anything I spend less time on the front page now since I jump straight to the forums.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

About the same but man I keep scrolling to the bottom and then go oh ya......

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I just changed my Giant Bomb Bookmarks to the Forums page instead. I think I actually like the site more now that I don't have to look at the front page. That thing... is not good looking.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the forums less. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the forums significantly less. The added obstacle to it just makes me rethink jumping in. Instead of simply happening to see a topic I want to respond to, the act of finding such topics takes more intent now, and it discourages me just enough. I might get used to it, but, for the moment, my commenting is way down.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Man what I do is I click the big forums button, and then proceed to write down some ignorant, faith-in-humanity-destroying statements. So no, no change at all for me. But I do use it a lot less compared to maybe 6 months ago.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, they need to bring that shit back to the homepage. That ticker idea is actually really good too.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any other way to just have a list of threads, no matter what forum section, with the most active ones on top. Basically, is there an equivalent right now? Because that was basically my interest in the forums, random threads that just caught my eye.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mainly just post in General Discussion and Off Topic now.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I keep scrolling down looking for it. It's the one thing I really miss in the new design.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26 gamer_152  Moderator

No, I almost never viewed forum stuff via the front page, so it hasn't really changed my site habits.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aetheldod

Yes like many I miss it dearly and I think I hate having to click more .... and still scroll the same amount of times. Maybe is a perception thing ; but yeah I have noticed lesser activity , may be wrong tho.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having to actually leave the homepage to see what's happening on the forums has caused me to used them a bit more probably. However, I would prefer to have it on the homepage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I used to only really join in topics that were on the main page unless I was looking for something specific. It's very rare for me to actually hop over here now.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the forums less. It was nice to have the site content plus the forum in a single page. Though there were cases that all the forum threads that got pinned up cluttered alot of the actual activity before.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatly. I've hardly written/read anything here since its been gone and ended up at Neogaf instead when I wanted to talk about GB-related stuff. But Dave said the activity feed will be back... hopefully soon.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It hasn't altered the use for me, I don't really visit the main page (here or on CV) that often. The lack of following activity/change of following activity is killing me, though. I obsessively checked that little tab.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use them a little less. Normally when I'd check the front page for new videos and stuff I'd scroll down and pop into a couple forum discussions, but now that I have to click on the forum tab, it just doesn't occur to me as often.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Whenever I was bored, I'd scroll down to the forums on the front page. Without it, I find that I use them less unless I get really bored.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

TRALSE! :D

I mostly used the main page forum activity for a quick scan for spambots and the like. What I miss most is having a functioning friends' activity on my actual page. I relied on that more than anything else.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mercy_

What I miss most is having a functioning friends' activity on my actual page. I relied on that more than anything else.

YES. You don't even understand how badly that's killing me and GB isn't even my main site between the two. 'Mercy_ Followed Users' is in my 'most visited' section when I open up a new tab...how am I supposed to function without it :'(

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using it less. I scroll down every time out of habit and every time is a disappointment. It just feels disconnected from the rest of the site that I have to open a seperate page just for the Forums while the other main functions are on the main page.

But one day... Rise from your grave!

Beaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I always go to the main forum.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use it less now.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@strife777 said:

Is there any other way to just have a list of threads, no matter what forum section, with the most active ones on top. Basically, is there an equivalent right now? Because that was basically my interest in the forums, random threads that just caught my eye.

Nope, and that's the problem. I liked the forums at the bottom, because you could randomly jump into a discussion about something like XCOM, without actually having to go to the XCOM forums. Unless you're looking for a specific discussion, you're not going to find it.

Edit: there actually is a way, just not a particularly obvious one.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was less until I stumbled across the recent topics forum page. Now I just visit the main page less.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that not what the forums tab is for? You can set it so that all forums appear and it serves the same function. Unless you're talking about something entirely different than what I think you are.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By TobbRobb

I still scroll down the frontpage and go like. Oh...

I actually do use the forums less now, It's like, just the thought of clicking the forum tab doesn't even enter my brain. There is less impulse posting and more actually looking for threads now, if that is a good thing or not is arguable.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would you scroll all the way down to check on the forums when you can just click a button? Oh, Internet, you so cray cray.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

There was a time when it wasn't updating in a timely manner, so I quit using the main page for that and just jumped straight into the forums page. That was a while ago (over a year or two ago I believe) so no real change.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ares42

I haven't even looked at any game-specific forums since the change. And with only browsing general and off-topic there isn't enough happening to spend much time around.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

I use it a bit less since there is no random topic popup while I'm going to Giant Bomb website by accident.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I prefer having everything on one site and I probably won't read or post anything on the forums in the future unless I'm looking for something specific.

Maybe it's a good thing for the site's performance (I've got no idea), but for me personally it was the "feature" I used the most on the whole site.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BBAlpert

@ares42 said:

I haven't even looked at any game-specific forums since the change. And with only browsing general and off-topic there isn't enough happening to spend much time around.

This. I can understand why putting recent forum posts onto the front page might not be Dave & the crew's number 1 priority, but it was kind of nice to see at a glance what was going on in the smaller sub-forums.