Have you ever been offended by a video game?

• 121 results
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Sometimes games offend people.

Need I invoke the name of N'Gai Croal in relation to Resident Evil 5?

Then, there was the obvious incident regarding Cubans and Haitians in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and the mission in the game that was removed/edited because of said controversy. Oh, and the tear gas grenades. 

And GUN.

I guess the best chance of people being offended is when a game targets a specific racial group or a specific belief held by a group of people, large or small. While I didn't agree with Croal on his point about Resident Evil 5 (although that's not really the discussion I'm trying to bring about here, so it doesn't matter) he was clearly offended by footage of Resident Evil 5 shown early on.

I personally have never been offended in such a fashion. But, hey, I'm totally Greek and video games seem to love Greek people. Case in point: God of War.  So, have you ever been offended by a video game?

(I'm not talking about taking offense at how bad a game is or was, although such stories are certainly amusing.)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Nope
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By LiquidSwords

Race war!  What side are you on?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I wouldn't say offended, but the only thing that comes to mind right now was the way the Australian dude in Bioshock had a poster in his rooms for Australia Day with the date reading 1/26.  :P

Otherwise, no. Think you have to be a really uptight kind of person to actually get offended by the stuff in games.
Edit: Well, for published games at least. Freeware doesn't count.

SonicTheMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SonicTheMonkey

That's actually a really interesting question, and I'm quite interested in hearing peoples responses. Unfortunately I can't really add much to the discussion as I can't think of anything from a game that greatly offended me at the moment. I think I've been pretty desensitized by this point, where it really takes something drastic to get an emotional response out of me--at least in terms of sex, violence, language, and the other usual places games attempt to be "edgy."

Jammy411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jammy411

not offended more than stupid?
fallout 3 with the bloody mess perk (for the damage.) everybodies limbs falling off was just just fine for like, a week, and after that even for the orcs and stuff it was fine. but when you were just WAILING ON regular people and they just FELL APART every single time, it got a little too morbid.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

In all honesty... when I first started up Street Fighter IV and saw that God awful intro with its horrendous music. Totally offended.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

Nope. 
I find it kinda silly to be offended by a video game. 
No, not silly.. What's the word I'm looking for... 

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By Crono

No, I haven't.  The game would have to go out of its way to be offensive.  I can't take games or their stories very seriously so it makes it difficult to get any sort of emotional response from me.  I still appreciate a good and well presented story... but I can never suspend my disbelief enough to get truly immersed in a game the same way I can with a movie.  It is hard to ignore that I am staring at pixels.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By FrankCanada97

No, unless it was a blatant propaganda game or something like that.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By JazGalaxy

I've actually been offended by games fairly frequently. 

It used to be more common than it is now, but in create a character modes it's common for black people to have no option but the stereotypical afro. And that is only included in create-a-character modes as a joke option to essentially make fun of black people. (It's not called "poofy hair option" it's called "Afro".) The only way to make a character who is not a joke is to have no hair at all. It would take only 20 minutes work to put in a black hair style that would cover hundreds of thousands of black people but... apparently... it's not worth it. 

I found Barrett in Final Fantasy 7 extremely offensive. The first black character in Final Fantasy, which, up to that point (for entirely other reasons) had been my favorite game series and Square decides to make him a stereotypical big angry black man who speaks in ebonics even though it makes no sense in the context of the world for him to speak that way and nobody else speaks that way.  

Many times the portrayal of black people in Japanese games is offensive just based on the cultural depiction of black people in Japanese media. Balrog, Deejay and pretty much all of Capcom's renditions of black people are stereotypical and intentionally ugly. Yet, when they want a female character for sex appeal, they create Elena who is supposed to be from right out of the middle of Africa yet has flaxen white hair and bright blue eyes. Even Birdie who was a fairly normal looking white guy in Street Fighter 1 became ghoulish when they turned him black for the newer games. 

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aeterna

No, why the hell would I? I'd be an idiot to be offended by an entertainment medium. 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By animateria

I wasn't offended but quite a bit disturbed at a certain part in Saints Row 2.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

I just played JFK Reloaded because this topic enticed me to find some really messed up games. That game is fucked up and made me a little sick. 

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Black_Rose

Nope

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

I regularly get offended by video game trailers and what a sad picture of the industry and medium they paint. Thats is really appalling, regularly.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" I just played JFK Reloaded because this topic enticed me to find some really messed up games. That game is fucked up and made me a little sick.  "

@W0lfbl1tzers: From the way I've seen that game represented, it looks more like a simulator of the assassination than an actual attempt to be funny or make light about the event (which would be wrong). Obviously it can't be entirely accurate, but it looks like it might be useful simply as a simulator or a thought experiment.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Red12b

Custer's revenge, /Thread.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By asurastrike

Postal - Everything
GTAIV - Kidnapping the mobsters daughter and slapping her around.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" @W0lfbl1tzers said:

" I just played JFK Reloaded because this topic enticed me to find some really messed up games. That game is fucked up and made me a little sick.  "

@W0lfbl1tzers: From the way I've seen that game represented, it looks more like a simulator of the assassination than an actual attempt to be funny or make light about the event (which would be wrong). Obviously it can't be entirely accurate, but it looks like it might be useful simply as a simulator or a thought experiment. "
That is completely what it is but when you play it you become increasingly uneasy at what you are doing. It even tallies up the points at the end to give you a score on how accurately you recreated the shots. It shows you how the bullet went through bodies . 
Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

nope, i have balls

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Hamst3r

No. Offensive content is something video games are perfect for and I think it's awesome.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fuzzyponken

PC games in the mid 90's used to have these stupid messages when you tried to exit the game like; "What? Too much of a pussy to continue?" or something to that degree. That used to offend me greatly as a kid, and I'd keep playing just so the game wouldn't think I was a pussy.  

But as far as taking offense to violence in games, no, that does not become me whatsoever. 

labam89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By labam89

Nope.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Bones8677

There have been moments in games that I did not like, but offended isn't what I would describe my feelings at the time. More like, "Huh, that was petty."

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#27  Edited By Dimsey

Not ever. Honestly can't imagine being offended by a video game.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By C0V3RT

I've never been offended personally.  I did think to myself that the Black Baron in Madworld was pretty stereotypical and a little racist...
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Nope.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Undeadpool
@animateria said:
" I wasn't offended but quite a bit disturbed at a certain part in Saints Row 2.

"
I guess this came the closest. I wasn't offended, just sorta taken aback cause it sorta took me out of the freewheeling wackiness that had pervaded the game up until then. Likewise the cemetery mission.
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By willin

Beside the stupid people that plague Xbox Live and MMO's, no not really.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CL60

No.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By samfo

I really didn't like having Kurt Cobain playing non Nirvana songs in GH5.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By SlowHands

Dirt 2 kind of offended me.  In Europe, Colin McRae's name was still attached to it, despite him having died in a tragic helicopter crash.  That game should have been called Bromancer Racing or something with the way it just oozed that specific X Games sort of culture.  It really irritated me.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By natetodamax

No.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes: the worst games I've played are so horrible that they offend my very soul. That is how bad they are.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Capum15

Not that I can recall.

I seem to get into the mindset of the characters I play, so things tend to not bother me much (ie the Saints Row 2 scene that's been said). 

So...no.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead

I've never been offended by anything other that the stupidity of others.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Asurastrike said:

" Postal - Everything GTAIV - Kidnapping the mobsters daughter and slapping her around. "

Try playing Gay Tony.  You'll probably have less sympathy for her.

@Undeadpool said:
" @animateria said:
" I wasn't offended but quite a bit disturbed at a certain part in Saints Row 2.

"
I guess this came the closest. I wasn't offended, just sorta taken aback cause it sorta took me out of the freewheeling wackiness that had pervaded the game up until then. Likewise the cemetery mission. "
Yeah, I have to say the mission where..

Again, I wouldn't say I was offended but holy crap.. that's going too far.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Offended, I wouldn't go that far. But the demo for Overlord 1, you had to kill defenseless sheep, that whole proposition kept me from playing the game. I'm not gonna tell people not to buy it, but morally I didn't feel right doing something like that.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By penguindust

For the most part, no.  However, sometimes I am uncomfortable with the flamboyantly gay stereotype found in some games...well, mostly Japanese games.  It doesn't upset me as something I found offensive would, but it just makes me feel a bit uneasy.  I assume it's a cultural awareness thing, so I understand why those portrayals exist, but that doesn't mean I approve. 

Tynian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tynian

I have a Mexican friend who get really offended by Ghost Recon 2, by the part that you virtually invade the mexico border in a US Tank. I kind of see his point

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@PenguinDust:
Probably just an American hang up, GTA's series has made stereotypical gay caricatures, didn't see too much of an outcry from that. Indigo Prophecy I felt had a respectful yet stereotypical gay character in it, I would refer to him by name but it's been too long.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By penguindust
@HypoXenophobia:   
Yeah, I hold the same sense of unease when that same stereotype appears in Western games, too.  I must make this clear though.  Any respectful or realistic portrayal of a homosexual character would not disturb me.  Perhaps if there were an equal number of reasonable gay characters to balance out all the ones in speedos and feather boas then I wouldn't have the same anxiety, as well.
wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#45  Edited By wwfundertaker

Not really.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#46  Edited By KowalskiManDown

No. It's a video game for christ sake. THEY'RE NOT REAL!

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Grillbar

nope, not on my behalf or on others
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xyzygy
@JazGalaxy said:
" I've actually been offended by games fairly frequently.  It used to be more common than it is now, but in create a character modes it's common for black people to have no option but the stereotypical afro. And that is only included in create-a-character modes as a joke option to essentially make fun of black people. (It's not called "poofy hair option" it's called "Afro".) The only way to make a character who is not a joke is to have no hair at all. It would take only 20 minutes work to put in a black hair style that would cover hundreds of thousands of black people but... apparently... it's not worth it.  I found Barrett in Final Fantasy 7 extremely offensive. The first black character in Final Fantasy, which, up to that point (for entirely other reasons) had been my favorite game series and Square decides to make him a stereotypical big angry black man who speaks in ebonics even though it makes no sense in the context of the world for him to speak that way and nobody else speaks that way.   Many times the portrayal of black people in Japanese games is offensive just based on the cultural depiction of black people in Japanese media. Balrog, Deejay and pretty much all of Capcom's renditions of black people are stereotypical and intentionally ugly. Yet, when they want a female character for sex appeal, they create Elena who is supposed to be from right out of the middle of Africa yet has flaxen white hair and bright blue eyes. Even Birdie who was a fairly normal looking white guy in Street Fighter 1 became ghoulish when they turned him black for the newer games.  "
I know what you mean. I'm not black, so I don't actually take offense, but I do find it extremely stupid. Like why do they have to make him talk like that just cause he's black? I'm wondering what your thoughts are about Sazh from all the FF13 trailers so far? What do you think of him from the little we've been shown? 

I know this is a very obscure game, but in Rise of the Argonauts the developer Liquid did a lot of changing around to the classic Greek mythology heroes. Daedalus is actually portrayed as a black man and he's a genius blacksmith who makes a sword, armor peice, and spear for you. He's actually a really awesome character and he doesn't seem over the top to me at all. Just a really awesome character. When you first meet him, if you look around him you can see a set of wings hanging on the wall... you can ask him about it, and the way he explains is kind of sad. 
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@xyzygy:
on the Bitmob's Mobcast, they had a guy from Atlus talking about localization issues. One problem mention was that some of the inflections used within the Japanese language doesn't translate well into english. So, when localization teams bring it over, you can understand the dialect, word usages, etc, but the underlying humor and tone tends to be lost. While I never played the japanese version, there is a possibility that the intended humor of him speaking ebonics was lost in exchange for a "literal" translation.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@creamypies said:
"No. It's a video game for christ sake. THEY'RE NOT REAL! "
I say the same thing for horror films and the like. I don't get scared because I know it's not real. But some people do get invested in entertainment media, and with some of the cases above, I completely understand where they're coming from.