How about a new rating system ?

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gamer4Iife

Since you guys are starting anew, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to implement a brand-new rating system. As "veteran" reviewers, I'm sure you are all well aware of the flaws of the current rating systems. I understand that in a review, the score doesn't matter that much, but let's face it: A lot of people don't even read the reviews, they just look at the scores. So, why not have a rating system that's crystal-clear and comprehensive for everyone ?

The biggest problem is how everyone has their own version of what a score signifies. By giving a score, the reviewer tries to tell their readers approximately how good the overall game is, but that message is lost when they convert it back into their own meaning. A good example is how some will tell you that 7.0 is good, others will tell you its average. 1UP tried to change their rating system recently with their alphabetical scores, but all they did was use the same old concept, except they replaced the numbers with letters, which in turn, caused even more confusion.

What I'm proposing is a system that, I believe, will solve this mess once and for all. Basically, its concept is: "Why bother converting at all ? Just say what you want to say".  Its very simple yet solves everything, think Ninja Gaiden II is great ? Give it the score of "Great". Think GTA IV is awesome ? Give it an "Awesome". It's basically the exact same concept, but it gets the message across. Scores like Awesome, Great, Nice, Average, Lacking, Bad and Terrible are exactly what they mean, and it's MUCH more clear than any numerical or alphabetical score.

I know it's a lot to ask to change from your traditional way of reviewing, but please at least consider it. I honestly believe this new rating system has potential.

-Gamer4Iife

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Absurd

I thought 5 stars was pretty clear...

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By banksrob

they said right form the start they are having a star rating system...

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

What's the Deal With Your Rating System?

Giant Bomb reviews games on a five-star scale that does not include half-stars. We feel that this benefits our reviews for a number of reasons. Five-star rating systems are a widely accepted standard outside the field of video games, from Amazon.com to The Source, and we feel that the pervasiveness of the five-star system makes it more intuitive for the reader.

It also helps avoid the hair-splitting that can occur within more granular rating systems. A score is designed to provide the most basic at-a-glance information about a game for those considering making a game purchase--it is not there to justify/attack anyone's entrenched position on the relative value of one video-game franchise, developer, publisher, or hardware manufacturer versus another. We include the full text of the review for those looking for more detail.

We do not use any algorithms to reach our final scores, relying instead on the experience of the reviewer. While fundamental issues such as graphical performance and gameplay originality will almost always be factors in determining a final score, it ultimately comes down to how worthwhile the reviewer found the whole experience to be. If that's not enough, here are some simple illustrations we think you'll find helpful:

While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation.

Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential.

The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.

This game's problems outweigh its good qualities.

This game will make you wish you had died in a fire moments before turning it on.

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/help/

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Yep, 5 Stars is PERFECT

RedShirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RedShirt

I'm fine with the stars

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gamer4Iife
Absurd said:
"I thought 5 stars was pretty clear...
"
I don't know...

What does 5 out of 5 mean - That it's perfect ? That's the impression I'm getting...
kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By kenzo287

Well damn them for making us read their reviews if we want to know what they think! (sarcasm)

Scizorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Scizorz

Stars are fine, i dont want system wars fanboys coming here complaining about how the reviews dont reflect those on metacritic, stars are great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 stars is fine you really don't need a 1-10 rating scale

Moe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Moe

Ummm i was hoping the people that dont read reviews and just look at the number stay away from this site anyway. I have been enjoying the GIANT BOMB atmosphere for a while now and i have to say it has one of the most respectfull and intelligent userbases out there. keep 5 stars.

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sdodd02

I think the stars are pretty clear.

DappaDizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DappaDizzle
Scizorz said:
"Stars are fine, i dont want system wars fanboys coming here complaining about how the reviews dont reflect those on metacritic, stars are great."
agreed ... and please stop comparing the rating system to other sites this GB get use to it
Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blu_Magic

I'm good with the system they have now.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Otacon

Five Stars is why I prefer film reviews over most game reviews. When telling someone about a film review you are saying what the reviewer thought and what they gave it instead of just spouting out the fact that 'GS gave it a 8.5' you are listening to what the reviewer has to say. Its also clearer and isn't prone to fanboy wars over what game is better on illogical terms.

namster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By namster

They 5 stars with no half stars works well the way it is
It allows the text to matter for those who take the time to read it.
I find the only other system that works well is the lettering A-F system

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gamer4Iife
Vinchenzo said:
I think you missed the point. I understand how the 5-star rating work, that's not the problem.
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gamer4Iife
namster said:
"They 5 stars with no half stars works well the way it is
It allows the text to matter for those who take the time to read it.
I find the only other system that works well is the lettering A-F system
"
You could say the same thing for every rating system, though. They all "allow the text to matter for those who take the time to read them", but that's the problem, most people don't.
spragels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By spragels

I think it is fine. No rating system is perfect, and they will always be wrong in some ways because everyone feels different about games. For example I don't like MGS4 and everyone gives it a perfect score. I think you just have to read the review and see if whats in it gets you excited and then check the game out from there. The score a game gets doesn't really mean much if you don't like that kind of game.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By DJ_Lae

My favourite system is still the old Daily Radar scoring - Direct Hit, Hit, Miss, and Dud. It was simple and elegant, although the site was everything but. Still, that's beside the point.

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gamer4Iife
spragels said:
"I think it is fine. No rating system is perfect, and they will always be wrong in some ways because everyone feels different about games. For example I don't like MGS4 and everyone gives it a perfect score. I think you just have to read the review and see if whats in it gets you excited and then check the game out from there. "
  Which is exactly why I'm proposing a new rating system that does not have that flaw.
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gamer4Iife
DJ_Lae said:
"My favourite system is still the old Daily Radar scoring - Direct Hit, Hit, Miss, and Dud. It was simple and elegant, although the site was everything but. Still, that's beside the point.
"
Sounds like a good idea too. Why did they change it ?
45gergewf4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 45gergewf4545
Vinchenzo said:
"

What's the Deal With Your Rating System?

Giant Bomb reviews games on a five-star scale that does not include half-stars. We feel that this benefits our reviews for a number of reasons. Five-star rating systems are a widely accepted standard outside the field of video games, from Amazon.com to The Source, and we feel that the pervasiveness of the five-star system makes it more intuitive for the reader.

It also helps avoid the hair-splitting that can occur within more granular rating systems. A score is designed to provide the most basic at-a-glance information about a game for those considering making a game purchase--it is not there to justify/attack anyone's entrenched position on the relative value of one video-game franchise, developer, publisher, or hardware manufacturer versus another. We include the full text of the review for those looking for more detail.

We do not use any algorithms to reach our final scores, relying instead on the experience of the reviewer. While fundamental issues such as graphical performance and gameplay originality will almost always be factors in determining a final score, it ultimately comes down to how worthwhile the reviewer found the whole experience to be. If that's not enough, here are some simple illustrations we think you'll find helpful:

While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation.

Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential.

The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.

This game's problems outweigh its good qualities.

This game will make you wish you had died in a fire moments before turning it on.

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/help/

"
This is really easy rating system that works great.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By DJ_Lae
Gamer4Iife said:
"DJ_Lae said:
"My favourite system is still the old Daily Radar scoring - Direct Hit, Hit, Miss, and Dud. It was simple and elegant, although the site was everything but. Still, that's beside the point.
"
Sounds like a good idea too. Why did they change it ?
"
The site died. I think it came back (sort of) as Games Radar or something, but they went to numerical scoring because gamers apparently get off on percentages.
nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nat

It's easy and clear, what more would you all want

DogManStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DogManStar

I don't really care about the scoring system, but can I just point out that nearly all movie reviewers use half-star increments. 5 possible scores doesn't really seem adequate. But whatever, it's a minor issue.

Avatar image for worldsfastestshrimppeeler
WorldsFastestShrimpPeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like this star rating system, its alright, but i sometimes want numbers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 stars are perfect honestly.

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By nezze00

Stars are great! I like teh Stars k? K.

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gamer4Iife
nat said:
"It's easy and clear, what more would you all want
"
How is it clear, though ?
Caje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Caje

5 stars is perfect because it emphasizes the text of the review rather than just a numerical value.

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gamer4Iife
Caje said:
"5 stars is perfect because it emphasizes the text of the review rather than just a numerical value.
"
What do you mean ? 5 stars IS a numerical value.
RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By RVonE

I really like the direction they've taken with the five star system. I mean, it is more loose compared to most sites. Five stars just means it is very much worth your while. At the same time the fact that MGS4 received five stars doesn't mean it can directly be compared to professor layton. It just means that both are excellent games. Brilliant.

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gamer4Iife
RVonE said:
"I really like the direction they've taken with the five star system. I mean, it is more loose compared to most sites. Five stars just means it is very much worth your while. At the same time the fact that MGS4 received five stars doesn't mean it can directly be compared to professor layton. It just means that both are excellent games. Brilliant."
I know, but why not just directly say it instead of converting it into stars ?
AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AaronBelfast

This is part of the GB community, get used to it.

Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gamer4Iife
AaronBelfast said:
"This is part of the GB community, get used to it."
Get used to it ? But I am not complaining or anything, only suggesting a system that is better than what we currently have.

I suggest you do not post at all, if you do not have any constructive things to say.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 stars is fine, generally speaking all you need to know is if a game is good, average, or bad. Buy it, rent it, or neither; thats all. And the 5 star system works great with that.

tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tovan
Gamer4Iife said:
"nat said:
"
"
It gets the point across clean and quickly, the point of a review is just to tell if it's worth your time, it isn't something to read deeply into.
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gamer4Iife
Sentry said:
"5 stars is fine, generally speaking all you need to know is if a game is good, average, or bad. Buy it, rent it, or neither; thats all. And the 5 star system works great with that.
"
But that's exactly my point. You just need to know whether a game is good or bad, etc... NOT whether it is 5 or 3 stars.
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gamer4Iife
Tovan51 said:
It gets the point across clean and quickly, the point of a review is just to tell if it's worth your time, it isn't something to read deeply into.
"
Again, that's EXACTLY my point. And what I'm proposing gets the point across quicker than any rating system out there.
spragels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By spragels
Gamer4Iife said:
"spragels said:
"I think it is fine. No rating system is perfect, and they will always be wrong in some ways because everyone feels different about games. For example I don't like MGS4 and everyone gives it a perfect score. I think you just have to read the review and see if whats in it gets you excited and then check the game out from there. "
  Which is exactly why I'm proposing a new rating system that does not have that flaw.
"
The flaw is apparent with any rating system. People rate games. People can be wrong, and all people are different. Like snowflakes.
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gamer4Iife
spragels said:
The flaw is apparent with any rating system. People rate games. People can be wrong, and all people are different. Like snowflakes.
"
Sorry, but have you even read my first post ? -_-
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#43  Edited By Vinchenzo
Gamer4Iife said:
"nat said:
"
"
Stars give the general score of the game without discriminating against the title. When scores get too specific, developers think their game is getting attacked, and you can see how this has gone full-circle. If you need me to go into more detail, please ask.
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By Atlas

5 stars works perfectly. It really encourages you to read the reviews.

TheH1ppo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheH1ppo
Gamer4Iife said:
 1UP tried to change their rating system recently with their alphabetical scores, but all they did was use the same old concept, except they replaced the numbers with letters, which in turn, caused even more confusion.
I'm sorry, but if you've ever been to school then there's zero confusion in the A+ to F scale
spragels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By spragels
Gamer4Iife said:
"spragels said:
"
Sorry, but have you even read my first post ? -_-
"
Yeah I did. I just think that no matter how you change the review system it won't really help. I think the idea you had about the "awesome, great, bad... etc" is fine too. I just think that it doesn't matter if they change it. All that matters is what you personally take from the review. I just find reviewers I like and read their reviews and try to go from there. No score system will ever work perfectly, that is all I'm trying to say.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you agree wit me on that point, then how are 5 stars a bad thing? I mean, 4/5 are generally saying buy this game, 3 is saying rent it first to see if its your thing, 1/2 are basically saying dont buy.

Simple and nice eh?

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Why_So_Serious

I like the star rating system, for now. Unless something big happpens it can work.