How important is RE as a subject?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dbz1995

One of my friends got in an argument with one of the teachers. He said that because 'you either believe in God or you don't', that 'Religious Education is pointless'. Now, to some extent, he has a point, but is he completely right?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

whats RE 

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

RE?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dbz1995
@Ahmad_Metallic:@iAmJohn said:
" RE? "
Religious Education. Sorry about that.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty

If one is studying literature then it's worth it to at least look at religious books to see what kind of influences they had on normal literature.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iamjohn
Oh.  In that case, I'm with Bigandtasty - as an English major, I think it's important to look at these works, if only from the perspective of how these stories influenced critical thinking and techniques of storytelling in Western literature.  Other than that, this sounds like some weird Catholic school type shit.  Separation of Church and State, etc. etc.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I thought you were talking about resident evil when you said RE.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By delta_ass

I thought RE was Resident Evil.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" I thought you were talking about resident evil when you said RE. "
me too.. as in Zombies
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By kmdrkul
@iAmJohn said:
as an English major
I am so very sorry :P
Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Jerr

Paradise Lost is basically bible fan-fiction, and even without the religious stuff the concepts and ideas still make it one of the best works ever

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dbz1995
@Delta_Ass said:
" I thought RE was Resident Evil. "
It is. Also.
noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By noextralife

Not to get into any religious debate but being an atheist I always resented having to attend RE classes, it was always fun getting into arguments with the teacher but I've always been under the impression that it shouldn't be compulsory, at least within my education system (N.Ireland).

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne

What does RE have to do with student's personal beliefs? Your friend is a retard.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turbomonkey138

The whole point about RE is to teach students to make opinions that are even and un biased . AS long as you do that you'll get a A even if you a Nazi

DapperDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DapperDan

Are you doing GCSE? It does not matter if you beleive in God or not it's the easiest exam you will ever take so might as well do it just to make your CV pretty. I too at the time though it was pointless but I suppose it teaches you a little about other cultures, dosnt mean you have to become a devout christian just to sit in a classroom for a few hours a week.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By noextralife
@turbomonkey138 said:
" The whole point about RE is to teach students to make opinions that are even and un biased . AS long as you do that you'll get a A even if you a Nazi "
Hence why I got an A, wait what!
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NukeSpoon

R.E. would be good if they were just discussion groups, you didn't have to do any work and could get away with whatever.

The problem is when you have Catholic schools giving GCSE students as many RE lessons in a week as they do Maths, which is what happened to me. 

I remember one lesson, I proposed that the indoctrination of children into religion from an early age was akin to brainwashing. My teacher found this amusing and decided to ask the rest of the class, the majority of whom I assume were Christians and had never thought to question their beliefs, if they felt like they'd been brainwashed.

Well, if they did, the brainwashing obviously didn't work very well did it?

I also remember spending a lesson on homosexuality. We had to write a paragraph about it or something. I took much delight in putting in as many euphemisms for butt sex as I could.

I got a D in R.E. for my GCSEs, which is pretty good considering some of the bullshit I wrote. Not that it matters any more, I'm still doing Physics at Bristol.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dbz1995
@NukeSpoon said:
" R.E. would be good if they were just discussion groups, you didn't have to do any work and could get away with whatever.  The problem is when you have Catholic schools giving GCSE students as many RE lessons in a week as they do Maths, which is what happened to me.   I remember one lesson, I proposed that the indoctrination of children into religion from an early age was akin to brainwashing. My teacher found this amusing and decided to ask the rest of the class, the majority of whom I assume were Christians and had never thought to question their beliefs, if they felt like they'd been brainwashed.  Well, if they did, the brainwashing obviously didn't work very well did it? I also remember spending a lesson on homosexuality. We had to write a paragraph about it or something. I took much delight in putting in as many euphemisms for butt sex as I could.  I got a D in R.E. for my GCSEs, which is pretty good considering some of the bullshit I wrote. Not that it matters any more, I'm still doing Physics at Bristol. "
This is interesting. So you were of one mind as of my friend? However, we're pretty multi-culteral-I think the majority are atheist. What school did you go to to have all the children supposedly 'brainwashed' by religion?
HazAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HazAnwar

Okay so i am the 'friend' and well basically i got into a fight the the RE teachers and said that it is pointless to learn which i think it is... Okay to me you believe in god or you don't END OF... I am a Muslim and i believe in Allah which is God and so what is the point in learning it to learn about other people's religions? 1) i ready know about it... 2) Why do i need to?.. 3) If i do i can ask them myself for THEIR point of view not from some stupid teachers 4) Why do we need to learn about the crappy stuff they teach us in RE coz its all bull..............

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dbz1995
@HazAnwar said:
" Okay so i am the 'friend' and well basically i got into a fight the the RE teachers and said that it is pointless to learn which i think it is... Okay to me you believe in god or you don't END OF... I am a Muslim and i believe in Allah which is God and so what is the point in learning it to learn about other people's religions? 1) i ready know about it... 2) Why do i need to?.. 3) If i do i can ask them myself for THEIR point of view not from some stupid teachers 4) Why do we need to learn about the crappy stuff they teach us in RE coz its all bull.............. "
...shit. You can swear on giantbomb you know.

Anyway, people, discuss.
HazAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HazAnwar
@dbz1995: 
GOOOOOD and people i am not planning on doing englishy crap either thats all bullshit too you know ughh and plus wats the point OF IT ITS ALL CRAP BULLSHIT!
herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By herreno

It is important to understand other peoples beliefs, not just your own.

Until you get your qualifications.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo

Not important at all.  The point isn't to actually educate you about religion and its influence on society (which might actually have merit), the whole thing is just a morality lecture for two years - essentially "be tolerant of everybody and everything" - I don't think teaching morals in a classroom is possible or appropriate.  Schools should concern themselves with preparing children to become productive members of society - not brainwashing them into being weak-willed drones.

It's about as inappropriate as pressuring children to take an oath of allegiance to a flag every morning.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheGremp

Yes, I take Resident Evil very seriously.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Religious education is very important. It is a brilliant way of teaching kids about other cultures. It should probably be broadened out into "Cultural Studies" which looks at other cultures in a broader sense, not specifically looking at religion, but something along the lines or RE is very important for children.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dbz1995
@TheGremp said:
" Yes, I take Resident Evil very seriously. "
YOU BETTER 

@HazAnwar said:
" @dbz1995:  GOOOOOD and people i am not planning on doing englishy crap either thats all bullshit too you know ughh and plus wats the point OF IT ITS ALL CRAP BULLSHIT! "
Somebody needs to meet governmentcheese.
Pandasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pandasaurus
@MattyFTM:  Dude, you totally hit the nail on the head! The importance of learning about other cultures (especially Islamic) is so great in our shrinking world!
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By flaminghobo
@MattyFTM said:
" Religious education is very important. It is a brilliant way of teaching kids about other cultures. It should probably be broadened out into "Cultural Studies" which looks at other cultures in a broader sense, not specifically looking at religion, but something along the lines or RE is very important for children. "
You stole the words from my mouth as they were about to leap from my tongue.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dbz1995
@MattyFTM said:
" Religious education is very important. It is a brilliant way of teaching kids about other cultures. It should probably be broadened out into "Cultural Studies" which looks at other cultures in a broader sense, not specifically looking at religion, but something along the lines or RE is very important for children. "
This seems to be the general reason as to why people think that RE is important. I do agree with you as a whole, its just that I think there are some people who cannot benefit from RE simply because they think its a waste of time and therefore none of it really sinks in; to hem, its only a lesson, not something you should remember.
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lowbrow
@HazAnwar said:
" @dbz1995:  GOOOOOD and people i am not planning on doing englishy crap either thats all bullshit too you know ughh and plus wats the point OF IT ITS ALL CRAP BULLSHIT! "
You can swear here, but the use of proper grammatical and sentence structure is encouraged.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

Being an atheist, I think It's extremely important. I kind of like to think of it as Ancient Mythology or Ancient History - Think about it. In Mythology classes, you learn about the cool gods and deities that the Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, African, etc cultures used to worship and it's actually really interesting. Although one may not believe in the religion being taught in said RE classes, I think it's still important to see the other side JUST so you can have some knowledge on what it is that the majority of the population believes in, and base your own beliefs (or non beliefs) from that. Think of it as going to a fine dining restaurant not to eat the food, but to see the ingredients. Then maybe you can go home and make a dish that tastes even better :P 

HazAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HazAnwar
@Herreno: 
YEAA BUT I ALREDI DO... thts what im sayin in high skl the RE they teach u is bullshit... yes i understand till year 6 RE is fine but in high school they don't teach you about other religions or anything like that!! its messed up sooo badly its like god doesnt exist... n yr like DUDE WTF!
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60
@HazAnwar said:
" @Herreno:  YEAA BUT I ALREDI DO... thts what im sayin in high skl the RE they teach u is bullshit... yes i understand till year 6 RE is fine but in high school they don't teach you about other religions or anything like that!! its messed up sooo badly its like god doesnt exist... n yr like DUDE WTF! "
Please speak like a human being.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dbz1995
@HazAnwar said:
" @Herreno:  YEAA BUT I ALREDI DO... thts what im sayin in high skl the RE they teach u is bullshit... yes i understand till year 6 RE is fine but in high school they don't teach you about other religions or anything like that!! its messed up sooo badly its like god doesnt exist... n yr like DUDE WTF! "
For people who don't understand, he says:

Yes, I already do...thats what I'm trying to say. In high school the RE they teach you is bullshit. Yes, I understand until Year 6 RE in fine, but in high school they don't teach you about other religions or anything like that! Its screwed, like God doesn't exist; you seem to constantly say to yourself 'DUDE! WTF!'

Now, Hazik, they do teach you about other religions...in fact, they teach you what you need to know for GCSE. And if every second the teachers exclaimed 'Praise God!' then the people who aren't religious or Christian wouldn't really be happy, would they? It wouldbe better for them to be ateist so they don't show particular support for any individual religion.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#36  Edited By the8bitNacho
@kmdrkul said:
" @iAmJohn said:
as an English major
I am so very sorry :P "
Why?  Being an English major is awesome.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By eroticfishcake

Pretty much echoing the opinions of most people in here but anyway, religious education these days is more about teaching about other religions, their practices and cultural influence rather than practicing religion itself. Being an athiest myself I still found it interesting, afterall, a lot of art, buildings and literature have been made in the name in religion and it's incredible what it can make, massive churches specifcally.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sgjackson

I get the feeling that RE refers to a specific practice I'm not familiar with, but I think discussing the issue in general is worth merit.

Teaching the basic tenets and historical backgrounds of prominent religions is a good idea, as that information is definitely something that an educated person should learn. The issue comes with neutrality, as religion is so naturally divisive that it's next to impossible to present in a neutral, academic manner.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By End_Boss
@dbz1995 said:
" One of my friends got in an argument with one of the teachers. He said that because 'you either believe in God or you don't', that 'Religious Education is pointless'. Now, to some extent, he has a point, but is he completely right? "
Your friend was being silly and needlessly rebellious. Even if one doesn't subscribe to any particular religion, there's no reason to be uneducated on the subject (or any subject, for that matter). So no, he doesn't have a point.