If you could remove one thing from gaming or gaming culture....

• 166 results
tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#151  Edited By tofford

@Sparklykiss said:

@Ping5000 said:

Either the misogyny or the sexism.

Pretty much nailed it. Although entitlement is pretty high up on that list as well.

Most stereotypes about gaming and gamers stem from these things. I think without these, games would get a lot more widespread recognition.

BillyMethers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#152  Edited By BillyMethers

it would be the retarded ass kids and internet trolling that goes on in voice chat and forums. I mean there's not any maturity in the community so I generally just avoid it.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By gogosox82
  • Any dlc that isn't purely cosmetic. I miss the days of big expansion packs that studios would release 6 months to a year later that added 4-6 hours of gametime. Now, we stuff like "From Dust" in ME3 that should've been in the game to begin with.
  • The hardcore/casual distinction. I just find it dumb and a way to fracture an already fractured culture.
  • The Spike VGA's. It represents everything i despise about gaming. Apparently, all i care about are big loud explosions, guns, flashy lights, and boobs.
  • The immaturity that some gamers have. A good example is the ME3 ending. They don't wanna start a petition about on disc dlc, but they'll set the internet ablaze b/c the ending was bad. Seriously guys, have a little bit of perspective here.
psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By psylah

Load times.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155  Edited By MrCandleguy

@Jerr said:

@I_smell said:

I'd remove fuckin "gaming culture". There is no gaming culture, it's just a marketing demographic to get you idiots to buy Mtn Dew, Pikachu earrings n a GameBoy belt buckle. If you listen to NES chiptunes instead of actual music, you're not in a culture, you just have a tragically small perspective on the world. Anyway I might more likely remove things like Kotaku and NeoGAF and people kicking the shit out of developers. Stuff like "this guy left Irrational, so from that we can decipher that Bioshock Infinite will suck". "This DLC was developed before release date, big companies aren't treating us right! Here's a database of how much time Notch spends on vacation, what a lazy asshole!" Reading that kind of conspiracy-theorist witch-hunt crap really rains on my parade.

Yes, goddammit. This.

Gaming is simply another consumption of media created professionally, or semi-professionally, for profit by developers. Just like movies, TV or music. You don't call people who go to movies part of a "movie-culture". They're just people who are interested in movies. Some people are more interested than others.

The difference between movies/music/tv and gaming. Is that people pour usually a LOT more hours into gaming than every other media. You watch a movie for 2 hours, talk to your friends about it for maybe 30mins. And then that movie experience is typically over.

But for games, Skyrim for example a lot of people put over 20 hours into it. (i put 80) And you talk to your friends about it for days/weeks because your experience is different. Online multiplayer is when you are talking to people while you're playing, people put a ton of hours into that as well. It's hard not to form a 'culture' around something that people put that many hours into. You seem to figure 'culture' is a negative term, but it's not. You have online friends you play games with, game forums you are on, game websites you probably read every day. Do you have any other media that comes close to that?

Culture is not a bad thing. Gaming is different from other media, that's why it's the biggest. Apples and oranges my friends.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#156  Edited By Dalai

Long-ass tutorials and hand-holding. I think I know which button is the one that shoots bullets.

echomateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By echomateria

Un-skipable videos and developer logos at the start of games. I know who made this game, this is the 2342. time I'm starting it, at least let me skip them.

But when I think about this I think I dislike quick time events more...hmm

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#158  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Multiple consoles, I hate that I can't play games like Tokyo Jungle or Persona 4 because the console isn't in my dozen or so collection of consoles.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By serpentenema

@PeasantAbuse said:

Fedoras

Patchy facial hair

Ponytails and the whole entitlement stuff since misogyny is being represented pretty well here.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By YOU_DIED

The idea that the journalists in the industry are somehow 'experts' or have some kind of authoritative opinion.

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By KevinK

@NyxFe said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Rafaelfc

platform fanboys.

PC supremacists (nothing is more annoying than the barrage of "is this coming to PC?", "petition to have it on PC!" UGH!)

I know, right? Why should PC gamers be able to play games, they are all dirty pirating scum.
This. Heaven forbid someone wants to play a game on a machine that isn't years out of date before it even hits the production lines. The problem with criticizing "pc supremacy" is that it's kind of like arguing that in a weapon distance contest, throwing knives are just as valid as sniper rifles, and everyone who prefers a rifle is just unjustly shitting on knife-lovers because they don't want to pay the higher price of a rifle yet still do the same thing. Wait, where was I going with this metaphor again? The point is that the PC platform is unquestionably superior to consoles in every single facet except possibly ease of use, and statements like "Why would I want to buy a 300-600 dollar box that does nothing but play games more poorly than the system I use for work/creating stuff/whatever that I already own" is not so much "supremacist" as "logical". Ideally every game would come out for every platform with completely customizable controls.

Quoted for truth.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By FoolishChaos

Bad mannered bullshit. Griefing, being super racist or sexist, all that shit. Just wipe it off the planet.

If you are reading this and are one of these people, just stop!

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#163  Edited By zoozilla

@KickahaOta said:

I would ban griefing.

Any habitual practitioner of griefing -- the intentional use of dickery to ruin another player's experience, including serial teamkilling, hacking, excessive stupidity in chat, etc. -- would be barred from use of the regular Internet. They would instead be required to use GriefNet, a new network purely for griefers. It would include griefer-only versions of Xbox Live, PSN, and all other multiplayer services. There, griefers would compete against each other. Naturally, the weaker griefers would be driven into retirement or insanity almost immediately. Over time, the remaining pool of griefers would hone their craft, and gradually eliminate each other, Highlander style. Eventually, only one Master Griefer will remain. We will hold this legendary asshat in comfortable confinement until the next war breaks out, at which point he will be unleashed against the enemy.

Naturally, all of this will be overseen by a new Cabinet-level Department of Griefing, with Wil Wheaton as its first Secretary of Grief.

I'd definitely go with this, especially the fighting-game style tournament to the death idea.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#164  Edited By CJduke

The racism and sexism that constantly gets attached to multiplayer games. Why people feel the need to verbally attack others because they lost 1 video game match is beyond me. It makes video games look bad and the people who play video games look bad and is constantly infuriating me because you know all the people who say those horrible things would never say them outside the comfort of their basement.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

The picky nature that everyone seems to have about everything.I understand the need to voice your problems,but do it in a constructive manner.For example,i didn't care for the ME3 ending,but I didn't sign a petition to change it.I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 up to the conclusion.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Turambar

How about just pricks and assholes in general?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#167  Edited By Andorski

The concept of killing as the primary means of interaction with the game. Albeit it extremely general, this concept is the basis of almost every game that has been made. It would be interesting to see how game design would change without it's most basic idea.