Is art style more important then graphics?

threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By threeolivez

I'm kinda torn on whats more important to me. Yes, of course I would like both to be great but more often then not I find myself noticing that games are really good in one or the other. I would consider myself a graphics whore, games like killzone 2, mgs 4, and GTA are super stunning and make you feel like your in the next generation. but other games like Splosion man, saints row, world of warcraft, and even bioshock have amazing art. The art I feel can send more of a message and impart more of the developer's intentions. I would say that developers need to focus on art first and try their best to make the graphics fit.   I feel that Trine is one of those games that is visually stunning and you can't help but say "wow" but ultimately, the art is very stereotypical (except for the knight) and is a great game because of the mechanics and visuals not the art style. I bring up Trine to make an argument not to discuss it. I personally love it.

threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By threeolivez

I'm kinda torn on whats more important to me. Yes, of course I would like both to be great but more often then not I find myself noticing that games are really good in one or the other. I would consider myself a graphics whore, games like killzone 2, mgs 4, and GTA are super stunning and make you feel like your in the next generation. but other games like Splosion man, saints row, world of warcraft, and even bioshock have amazing art. The art I feel can send more of a message and impart more of the developer's intentions. I would say that developers need to focus on art first and try their best to make the graphics fit.   I feel that Trine is one of those games that is visually stunning and you can't help but say "wow" but ultimately, the art is very stereotypical (except for the knight) and is a great game because of the mechanics and visuals not the art style. I bring up Trine to make an argument not to discuss it. I personally love it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I always thought artistic style fell under graphics when scoring a game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Artistic style should compliment the graphics.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama

They should be kept seperate when scoring a game. If a game looks like shit yet has an interesting art style, thats an A for effort and an F for failure. Team Fortress is a great example of a beautiful game with a great art style. 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Pour on the style and pour on the anti-aliasing and poly counts. Can't have one without the other and expect to succeed.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RipTheVeins
@Akeldama said:
" They should be kept seperate when scoring a game. If a game looks like shit yet has an interesting art style, thats an A for effort and an F for failure. Team Fortress is a great example of a beautiful game with a great art style.  "
I agree, I don't think that either graphics or style should be compromised, but it isn't a perfect world, however, and if I had to choose between one way or another I will always go with art style since I find it more visually appealing and it sends a better message/vibe that the developers are trying to convey.
threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By threeolivez
@Akeldama: team fortress is a great game and a great art style but you cant compare the graphics to a killzone 2 or mgs 4.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akeldama
@RipTheVeins said:
" @Akeldama said:
" They should be kept seperate when scoring a game. If a game looks like shit yet has an interesting art style, thats an A for effort and an F for failure. Team Fortress is a great example of a beautiful game with a great art style.  "
I agree, I don't think that either graphics or style should be compromised, but it isn't a perfect world, however, and if I had to choose between one way or another I will always go with art style since I find it more visually appealing and it sends a better message/vibe that the developers are trying to convey. "
exactly. Although a game like Flower or Braid kinda falls into the trap of focusing to much on the art style and (in flower's case) the superb graphics and in some ways neglecting the gameplay to a point. Its all about balance.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akeldama
@threeolivez: thats exactly my point. Both Killzone and MGS4 are going for realism over art style and that is impressive in its self. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Akeldama said:
" @threeolivez: thats exactly my point. Both Killzone and MGS4 are going for realism over art style and that is impressive in its self.  "
Not exactly, since about half the games made today are going for realism. I'm not insulting the games, I'm just saying that it's hard to stand out when you're doing what everybody else is doing.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Akeldama
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @threeolivez: thats exactly my point. Both Killzone and MGS4 are going for realism over art style and that is impressive in its self.  "
Not exactly, since about half the games made today are going for realism. I'm not insulting the games, I'm just saying that it's hard to stand out when you're doing what everybody else is doing. "
both Killzone and MGS4 are head and shoulders above anything i have seen in the realism department. Aside from Heavy Rain or Forza and GT, i dont see anything that comes close. (crysis excluded)
threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By threeolivez
@Akeldama: Right, but do you want the comedy of team fortress or the realism of killzone, wheres the balance?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Akeldama said:
both Killzone and MGS4 are head and shoulders above anything i have seen in the realism department. Aside from Heavy Rain or Forza and GT, i dont see anything that comes close. (crysis excluded) "
From what I've read, it seems like you're focusing more on the technical side of things and less on the artistic side. The only reason I said that is because you said Crysis is the most realistic thing out there.
ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ieatlions

TF2 in my opinion is one of the best looking games in our generation and i think it compares well with killzone 2 and call of duty 4

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15  Edited By damnboyadvance

You could have the best looking game on paper, but what is it if you don't have graphics to support it?

threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By threeolivez
@ieatlions: `I agree with you, and correct me if I'm wrong. Games like that are impressing you because their art style is so well thought out that you figure the graphics are great, however if you play crysis or killzone etc. you find them to be a cartoon. TF2 is a better game then crysis but not visually, can we have realism with a specific art style?

Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Osphere

I'd say so, but I wouldn't disregard the impact that graphics can have on a game.  WoW is a good example of art style keeping the polygon count negligible (for the most part).  Games like Ratchet and Clank Future, and I'd say even Street Fighter 4, that can blend graphical prowess with great art style are really the most eye-catching, I think though.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ieatlions
@threeolivez: umm i still think that as we keep striving for reality were getting stuck in the uncanny valley and easier and we as consumers schould stop trying to be graphics whores and try to encourage more stylized graphics. And i dont think its possible to get a mix of the two.
threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By threeolivez
@Osphere: you know... I didn't think of Street Fighter 4, the art is what makes it, yet it is still not fight night or even UFC. although as a game its deeper then both

threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By threeolivez
@ieatlions: I agree. I want to know what the developer is trying to say more than I need a $2000 computer to run it.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, graphics include style. It's just the overall aesthetic result that is judged as graphics, and that includes everything, from how efficient the engine is, keeping the frame rate high at all times, to how pleasant it is to the eye. WoW had low polycounts but when it was first out it looked spectacular thanks to the style, despite the lack of normal maps, real time shadows, or whatever shit the latest FPS had to showcase. Yet you didn't see it and go "oh god, his face is made with just 5 polygons, and the texture resolution is so low" or something. You saw it and went "this looks cool and runs so smooth, sweet" or whatever. Great style, great animations, world detail, variety, everything looked solid. Ok, now it looks a little more outdated (still solid though) but it's been years since launch. Diablo 3 will be on similar terms once it's released, going by the content we've seen so far. It won't look like Doom 4, but it sure as hell will look sweet, coherent, pleasing and deserve top marks...

Also, realism can have a style too. Killzone 2 doesn't look anything like MGS4 for example. It still takes skill to have a pleasant aesthetic result, everything has to match, the characters, environments, effects, animations, gameplay elements, everything. It's not like "oh, they just made it realistic, how lazy" or something, and it's not like everything it's photo realistic, compare it for example with the visuals of something like Armed Assault or Crysis, they all have a different style and very different overall aesthetic feel, despite all going for "realism" or whatever. Every artist has a different idea on what's important, the result will rarely be so similar. Unrealistic stuff can look generic and bland too if there's no care.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ieatlions
@Al3xand3r:  realism is the style its that killzone 2 mgs4 and crysis all failled to reach realism so they all look different.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude

Money controls next-gen graphics. Art style is the poor man's game. When wanting more... it takes more, but people buy less.

And as:

@LiquidPrince said:

" Artistic style should compliment the graphics. "
True next-gen is only a dollar away...

I'm 480i, that's how next-gen I am. It gives me reasons to want more. At least, my PC gives me some hi-rez pleasure.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r
@ieatlions said:
" @Al3xand3r:  realism is the style its that killzone 2 mgs4 and crysis all failled to reach realism so they all look different. "
No. Valve doesn't owe so much to Half-Life 2's art director just because he went and said "ok we'll make this stuff look realistic" or something, surpassing the likes of Doom 3's blander take on realism despite the lack of higher end effects and elements at the time of release. All those developers know they won't achieve photo-realism and adjust accordingly to still look coherent, convincing and simply good despite that. Even something as simple as lighting needs heavy adjustments to get the right result they want, not to be photo realistic but to look convincing within the game world they want to suck you into. It's just not that simple, not if it's going to have a good result that people will be able to get into.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By TwoOneFive

Obviously that depends on the game. But I do think that without good artists, you won't be able to make your graphics good at all. 

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ieatlions
@Al3xand3r:  Can u reword that cause ive never play half life 2 so im kinda confundeled
threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By threeolivez
@Al3xand3r: well said.    but i dont think graphics include style. mgs 4 had amazing graphics and used what we expected from  before.  In that universe couldnt you give more flair to a soldier's helmet for example instead of being typical marine. I know mgs4 looks different than killzone but the art style does not stand out. world of warcraft imparts the armor and characters regardless of the resolution.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Cutting edge graphics become dull, but good art is forever.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well what can I tell you olivez, they made that choice, perhaps to add to the convincing factor, and it seems they pleased most people.

And no iea, I can't reword it, go play Half-Life 2 and try to understand. Or don't.

threeolivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By threeolivez
@Al3xand3r: so... in my estimation, halflife 2 is better then killzone 2 and crysis. its better because the art style presents more of a story then those games. I really want to look at killzone but play halflife.
MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Mirror's Edge was my favourite looking game of all time because of it's awesome art style. Not only in the main game, but also in the DLC.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMustacheHero

The graphics should fit the art style. If the art style the game was going for was "cartoon" or whatever, you shouldn't have the graphics end up looking like Crysis, they should end up looking like WoW or TF2.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seedofpower

When people say a game has good artistic style, I always think the game looks good for the limited graphics it has. For example, Castle Crasher, its very cartoony and the graphics arn't eye poping but it still looks good.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Tales of Vesperia is a prime example. Or something like Okami. It's not all about the graphics.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r
@threeolivez said:
" @Al3xand3r: so... in my estimation, halflife 2 is better then killzone 2 and crysis. its better because the art style presents more of a story then those games. I really want to look at killzone but play halflife. "
Eh? Well, HL2 came out in 2004, so, I was comparing it to things out at the time, like Doom 3, but, uh, pkay, whatever, feel free to prefer other things. Lol. It still has a very coherent style that isn't simply an attempt at photo realism. And i don't quite see what the story has to do with it :S
PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PowerSerj

A good balance is preferential (e.g. Valkyria Chronicles). Tilting one way or the other isn't a bad thing though.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like art style more then actual graphics.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mordukai

I think the art style should always come first then the graphics should be built around it. Look at games like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami. I am sure the development team first established the art style then integrated the graphics to fir the art. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By natetodamax

I consider them to be generally the same thing.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Brendan
@threeolivez said:
"@Akeldama: Right, but do you want the comedy of team fortress or the realism of killzone, wheres the balance?

"

I want both, since there's a place for both in the market.
velvetelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By velvetelvis

in a perfect world the 2 would compliment each other.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By djstyles92

persona 4 has a great art style.

@velvetelvis said:

" in a perfect world the 2 would compliment each other. "

agreed
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By JJWeatherman
@threeolivez:  Style every time. A game can look technically great but unless it has a nice style, it doesn't appeal to me. (graphically anyways)
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EVO
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" Cutting edge graphics become dull, but good art is forever. "
I couldn't have said it better.

Take Rez for example. It's still as mind blowing today as it was back in 2001, thanks mostly to it's unique art style. There's hundred's of on-rail shooters, but few as instantly recognizable as Rez.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hockeymask27
@Akeldama said:
how can an artistic game look like crap?. the art style makes refreshing and new and most of the time cell shaded
Nerje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nerje
@LiquidPrince said:
" Artistic style should compliment the graphics. "
This is exactly right.  LoZ: Wind Waker had great graphics - not because they were technically astounding, but because they achieved exactly what they needed to.  The gameplay was enhanced tenfold by what could be considered a faultless attempt at a unique graphical style.  Feel free to argue, anybody
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Godwind

I think I like Gameplay more than art style and graphics.  Because a good game generally is a fun game.  I totally need to get myself an Atari2600.