Is it OK to hate on a game because it's too damn hard?

mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mandeponium

I say no.

I don't like that Brad thinks Guitar Hero 3 wasn't good because he sucks at it.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emilio

Yes it is okay. Especially if its hard because its broken and not because of how its designed.

mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mandeponium

True, broken games are not fun.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Black_Rose

Meh i haven't beaten NG:B and i think it's awesome. But usually when games are unforgivingly (is that a word?) difficult it pisses the hell out of me. Things like cheap deaths, awful camera and a ridiculous amount of enemies are what killed Baroque for me.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Some games are hard for the wrong reason like AI that knows where you are without seeing you

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By xymox
DuhQbnSiLo said:
"Some games are hard for the wrong reason like AI that knows where you are without seeing you"
That is awful. Especially if they hurt you the very second you appear. 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Really, Guitar Hero III wasn't that great. Aside from the soundtrack and the fact that most songs weren't covers, the game really didn't make any notable improvements, except cleaning up the hammer-ons a little. The venues were uninspired and dull, the boss battles were horrible, having unlockable songs exclusive to co-op was lame, the lack of being able to create your own guitarist was disappointing, having only 2 real guitarists in a game subtitled Legends of Rock is a joke, and yeah, the game gets stupidly hard. I don't think it's such a big problem to hate on a game for being really challenging, but it can be annoying if the truth is that person really just sucks and they just unfairly rip the game because of their lack of skill. The ramped up difficulty in GH3 was the least of the games problems.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Shasam
mandeponium said:
"I don't like that Brad thinks Guitar Hero 3 wasn't good because he sucks at it."
That's not it at all though. Someone doesn't suck at a game if they can't do the hardest difficulty, the hardest difficulty is meant to be for the people who are truly the best at them. Guitar Hero 3 sucks because the difficulty ramp up from GH2 was too high, and the difficulty ramp up while working up the set list is, also, too high. Guitar Hero 3 sucks for a number of other reasons, including the fact that the art design is awful!

...and yes, it's alright to hate a game because it's too hard. If it's too hard for you, why should you like it? Obviously if you're just not good at the game, you might not want to factor that in to an actual review. But if you were good at previous games or you're being cheated in to losing (by poor AI, unfair balancing, etc...) then you can absolutely hate a game for that.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mandeponium said:
I'm just going to reiterate a lot of the points being brought up in response to this comment.  And, as a disclaimer, I'm pretty fucking good at Guitar Hero.  I can beat the hardest songs on the hardest difficulty.  So, this isn't an argument from someone who cannot play.

Guitar Hero III reached a new level of cheapness in terms of rhythm game difficulty.  Most, if not all, of the songs were pitifully overcharted (see: Anything above the seventh tier; the five hardest bonus songs), and the general design of these charts deter from playability.  Guitar Hero III sought to implement the sly strum note in the middle of a sweeping stream of hammer-ons/pull-offs, which helps convolute the gameplay (see: "Same Old Song and Dance"); basically, notes that ought to have been fretted necessitate an extra strum.  It's just clunky. 

Moreover, there is a point when the songs cease to be fun.  In my mind, a game ought never sacrifice fun for difficulty, or fluency for difficulty.  I like to use Halo: Combat Evolved as a good example of a game that balances difficulty and playability well.  And, you know what, you can even look to Guitar Hero II as a game that is capable of balancing "oh shit this is tuff" with "wow that was a fun song, though."

Guitar Hero III doesn't just tilt the scale, it drops a fucking brick on one side.  Whenever I play "Before I Forget", "Raining Blood", "The Way it Ends", or, yes, even "Through the Fire and the Flames", I consistently come away thinking it was more torturous than enjoyable (I should not have to avoid a song for fear my hand will cramp afterward)--and, indeed, Brad nailed it on the head when he said Guitar Hero caters to the super-competitive crowd.  It, in fact, does, and it strangles accessibility away from Joe Normal in doing so.

And to add a final point to this already gargantuan rant, the guitar battles are retarded.  Absolutely retarded.  Take, for instance, the final boss battle against Lou.  Here's what you're up against:
  • Arguably the game's most taxing song (in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia")
  • A boss who never misses a note unless provoked.
  • A boss who attains his power up before you do, which renders your ability to attain a power up a game of chance button mashing more than skillful playing.

These three things in tandem are so obviously anti-player, it shouldn't even be legal.  Unless you're a sick-bastard who frequents the Guitar Hero pro-circuit, this is a nigh-insurmountable challenge, and it's unacceptable design. 

Fuck Guitar Hero.  It's too hard to be enjoyable.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Rowr

Is it OK to hate on a game because it's too damn hard?

what do you mean "is it ok" of course its ok to hate on a game for being to hard.

I will hate a game for any dam reason i want thankyou very much.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No, it's not okay. Your gaming license has been revoked.
Please chop off your thumbs and send them to the game player's union's headquarters :P

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DirrtyNinja
I hate megaman. That game is just balls to the wall cheap.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Kazona

If the difficulty makes it unreasonably challenging to a point that the average player won't enjoy the game? Then yea, I most certainly believe that it's ok to hate a game because it's too hard.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Emilio
DirrtyNinja said:
"I hate megaman. That game is just balls to the wall cheap."
Have you played Ninja Gaiden for NES?

Actually, I think Ninja Gaiden is easier than Megaman 9...
Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zebadee

If the difficulty is forced upon the player and the difficulty ruins the experience then yes I think its perfectly reasonable to down grade a game based on that, however Guitar Hero 3 gives you a choice, the average player isn't going to enjoy playing on Expert so they don't have to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zebadee said:
"If the difficulty is forced upon the player and the difficulty ruins the experience then yes I think its perfectly reasonable to down grade a game based on that, however Guitar Hero 3 gives you a choice, the average player isn't going to enjoy playing on Expert so they don't have to."
But it's not just Expert difficulty.  Some of the songe on normal could, with a little modifications, fit comfortably in Hard, and many of the songs in hard could fit comfortably in Expert.

It's stupid design. 
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#17  Edited By Vinchenzo
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"mandeponium said:
I'm just going to reiterate a lot of the points being brought up in response to this comment.  And, as a disclaimer, I'm pretty fucking good at Guitar Hero.  I can beat the hardest songs on the hardest difficulty.  So, this isn't an argument from someone who cannot play.

Guitar Hero III reached a new level of cheapness in terms of rhythm game difficulty.  Most, if not all, of the songs were pitifully overcharted (see: Anything above the seventh tier; the five hardest bonus songs), and the general design of these charts deter from playability.  Guitar Hero III sought to implement the sly strum note in the middle of a sweeping stream of hammer-ons/pull-offs, which helps convolute the gameplay (see: "Same Old Song and Dance"); basically, notes that ought to have been fretted necessitate an extra strum.  It's just clunky. 

Moreover, there is a point when the songs cease to be fun.  In my mind, a game ought never sacrifice fun for difficulty, or fluency for difficulty.  I like to use Halo: Combat Evolved as a good example of a game that balances difficulty and playability well.  And, you know what, you can even look to Guitar Hero II as a game that is capable of balancing "oh shit this is tuff" with "wow that was a fun song, though."

Guitar Hero III doesn't just tilt the scale, it drops a fucking brick on one side.  Whenever I play "Before I Forget", "Raining Blood", "The Way it Ends", or, yes, even "Through the Fire and the Flames", I consistently come away thinking it was more torturous than enjoyable (I should not have to avoid a song for fear my hand will cramp afterward)--and, indeed, Brad nailed it on the head when he said Guitar Hero caters to the super-competitive crowd.  It, in fact, does, and it strangles accessibility away from Joe Normal in doing so.

And to add a final point to this already gargantuan rant, the guitar battles are retarded.  Absolutely retarded.  Take, for instance, the final boss battle against Lou.  Here's what you're up against:
  • Arguably the game's most taxing song (in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia")
  • A boss who never misses a note unless provoked.
  • A boss who attains his power up before you do, which renders your ability to attain a power up a game of chance button mashing more than skillful playing.

These three things in tandem are so obviously anti-player, it shouldn't even be legal.  Unless you're a sick-bastard who frequents the Guitar Hero pro-circuit, this is a nigh-insurmountable challenge, and it's unacceptable design. 

Fuck Guitar Hero.  It's too hard to be enjoyable."
Which is why I like RB, very rarely does it sacrifice mentioned fun in place of difficulty. I am okay, I can beat most songs on Expert (usually 3-4 stars), and Visions is a bitch but I like having fun and playing with my friends. GH III just kicks you in the knee caps.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

um  Guitar hero 3 wasn't that good simply because it was the worst in the series, sorry to say.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo
pause422 said:
"um  Guitar hero 3 wasn't that good simply because it was the worst in the series, sorry to say."
That as well. GH II was good because it recycled some but still improved, GH III recycled everything possible and sucked balls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pause422 said:
"um  Guitar hero 3 wasn't that good simply because it was the worst in the series, sorry to say."
And then there's that.  Which is true. 

I'm tired of seeing a caveman singer and tired of seeing Tom Morello look like a wrinkled old man.
chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chazer127

some games are ment to kick you in the balls because they are suposed to be hard (The mega man games or I want to be the guy pop into mind) while others are hard due to unfair AI or bad controls.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By KillaMaStA

If its too hard to play the game because the gameplay is broken, then its ok.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#23  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I can hate a game for any darn reason I want to, but that's just my opinion and I shouldn't force that on others.  For example, I hate the Condemned games because I think they're too dark (I'm mostly color blind).  I also dislike Call of Duty 4 multiplayer because I can't ever make out the enemies against the backgrounds - but I understand and appreciate that it's an amazing game.  Same with Condemned - just because I have problems with the game doesn't mean that someone else doesn't have the right to love it.

As far as games being too hard, there's definitely games I can't play for long because of the difficulty level.  Sometimes fighting games like Mortal Kombat can be brutal in their difficulty, and it about drives me bananas.  However, there are games like Donkey Kong Country that I love despite the difficulty I have with the game (those mine cart levels - argh!).  It all depends on the type of difficulty, and oddly enough, the control scheme.  I didn't much care for Bionic Commando Rearmed because I didn't like the control scheme.  I love watching people play it and I love the retro remake ideas we're seeing, but I just didn't much care for the game because I had difficulty with both the game's inherent difficulty and the problems with the control scheme.

And like with Condemned or Call of Duty, there are certain games that I'll never be able to fully appreciate because of my own problems.  I absolutely love to watch the Battlefield games, but I can't distinguish the red name colors against nearly any background.  Even against something stark like white, my eyes play tricks and the letters seem to fade against a background.  One of the reasons I play Halo is because the red and blue costumes make this a heck of a lot easier.  If it ain't my team color, I can blast it.  It would be fair for me to say that I love Halo over CoD4 simply because the difficulty is easier for me, even if it's actually a vision problem and not any fault of the games. 

PharoahCapcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PharoahCapcom
DirrtyNinja said:
"I hate megaman. That game is just balls to the wall cheap."
I hate you.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By MKHavoc

I think it's okay.  I can't like a game if it's more frustrating than fun.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By jakob187
*EDIT* - Updated post...

Alright:
1.  Hate a game for whatever you want.  Just make sure you can back up the shit you talk about it.  I know that I personally talk a lot of shit on these boards about a lot of games, and that's my opinion.  Do people agree with it?  No.  When I'm talking shit about a game and hating a game like Fallout 3 or Fable II or Gears 2, games which aren't out yet, that doesn't mean I'm not going to be playing the games once they come out.  With as much shit as any one person can talk, they better fuckin' play it so they can back their shit up.  What's the worst thing that could happen?  You play it, it ends up defying your beliefs, and you tuck tail back to the boards and say "sorry fuckers, I was wrong"?  Oh well!!!  Despite that, hate a game for whatever you want.

2.  GH3 was a perfectly acceptable ramp up from GH II, and anyone who says otherwise didn't get very far into GH II.  If you think GH IV is gonna be any different of a ramp up, get ready for a fuckin' wake-up call.  Does that mean someone should reem the game in a review because they aren't any good at it?  No.  You have to look at overall design of the game...you have to look at THE GAME...and if a 9-year old can play it on Expert...then you should at LEAST be able to play on Easy.  If not, check your gamer status at the door as you are leaving the building.

3.  Mega Man was difficult because of clipping issues and frame rate lag from back in the day.  Other than that, the AI that was programmed was preset animations and patterns.  That's about all there was back then.  There wasn't any real "AI" so to speak.  It was just patterns.  Nowadays, we have AI.  I think that's one of the things that ruined a lot of the Mega Man spin-offs:  they weren't able to follow the true legacy of Mega Man because people were so focused on AI and not patterns.  Mega Man 9 was a return to perfect form for the Blue Bomber.  On the other hand, you have guys that say Ninja Gaiden (Xbox series) is hard.  Personally, I think the only reason those games are hard is because the camera is absolutely wretched and almost impossible to use well, while all the enemies have crack-shot aim and punishingly overpowered damage capabilities...and that's it.  Other than that, what the hell else do those games have going for it?  Not really anything, imo.  Therefore, "difficulty" can be considered completely subjective.  I didn't find Guitar Hero III to be hard at all on Expert, but a lot of you did.  That's just a subjective thing.  I thought that Ninja Gaiden was hard...but not for the reasons everyone lays out.  I thought it was hard because of poor design choices mostly.

4.  I think that if you are going to bitch about a game being hard or difficult, at least hold some credentials to knowing what difficult is in all forms of "difficulty".

But when it comes down to it, people will hate just to hate.  I know, being a professional hater and all.  Sorry for the wall of text there.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Milkman

Sure, it is. If a game is too hard, then you don't have much fun playing it. The challenge is to make the game hard but to make it fun while being hard at the same time and avoid being overly frustrating. Also, for the record, Guitar Hero III was too hard.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tokyochicken

I think if your bad at a game and it furstrates you then you're probably not having fun, I mean I wouldn't expect someone to like a game if they aren't having fun.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dalai

If the game is beatable by design, then you really shouldn't hate the game for being hard.  If it's hard because of glitches and shitty controls, then the hatred is valid.

mr_korean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mr_korean

If the game is crippled by the difficulty then yes but if it's just frusturatingly hard then no, not really..

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By weltal

Absolutely. It's OK to hate a game for any reason you want.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StaticFalconar
mandeponium said:
"I say no.

"
The reason why GH3 got that score is because it came out in the same time as Rockband which blew it out of the water. A good game is always compared to games of similar type from the past and currently on the market. While GH3 was better than what it was before, Rockband set the new bar.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Shadow

of course it's okay to hate something if it's too damn hard for you.  I hate Guitar Hero 3.  However, I love Ninja Gaiden and the second one, but I get why people don't

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Discorsi

yes and no.  Sometimes people who rate games just plain stink at a game that shouldn't give them that troble at all or just lack skills in general.  I really do hate that and it is especially noticeable if they do a video review.  In this case yes. 

It's okay to acknowledge that a game is rea.ly har but letting it effect your grade is just plain ignorant.  However if it is in due to some sort of brokenness it is fine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
2.  GH3 was a perfectly acceptable ramp up from GH II, and anyone who says otherwise didn't get very far into GH II.  If you think GH IV is gonna be any different of a ramp up, get ready for a fuckin' wake-up call.  Does that mean someone should reem the game in a review because they aren't any good at it?  No.  You have to look at overall design of the game...you have to look at THE GAME...and if a 9-year old can play it on Expert...then you should at LEAST be able to play on Easy.  If not, check your gamer status at the door as you are leaving the building."
This is the single most ignorant statement I've read in the entirety of this topic.  I'm going to pull a Sarah Palin and not argue it point to point, but I want to single out one particular idea:

"if a 9-year old can play it on Expert...then you should at LEAST be able to play on Easy"

There are people who can blow through Ninja Gaiden, there are those who can skip through the Mega Man games without as much as blinking an eye, there are players who can score one-hundred percent on "Through the Fire and the Flames".

That says nothing about the game's design or acceptable difficulty--that says everything about the aforesaid person's skill/level of memorization/devotion to the game.  Just because these prodigious players can rip through the game on the hardest of settings doesn't mean the game is good for having a playable difficulty.  Again, there is a difficulty vs. fun balance at work, and when a developer shifts that balance too dramatically, as is the case with something like Guitar Hero III, it is completely valid to hold that as a criticism against the game itself. 

Again, I'm not pro-level at Guitar Hero, but I can hold my own against the hardest songs in the series, and even I can readily acknowledge that III is nothing but a skittle-fest in comparison to the technical prowess of II.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By clubsandwich

I've mixed reactions on this, but I'd have to go on many details, so I'll just say yes and no.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shotaro

GH3 was cheap on so many levels - so cheap in fact that I won't be buying GHIV.

yes it is ok to hate a game that because you suck at it - its also ok to hate a game that goes from hard to impossible in a singe game - the difficulty of GH3 was way too high even someone like Alex Navarro (who's a fucking drummer by the way so the man has rythym) commented on the ridiculous increase in difficulty

Hitzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hitzel

Okay... IMO, it's okay to hate a game that's hard because it's broken.  It's okay to hate a game for simply too difficult, but only if there isn't an option for an easier difficulty.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"jakob187 said:
2.  GH3 was a perfectly acceptable ramp up from GH II, and anyone who says otherwise didn't get very far into GH II.  If you think GH IV is gonna be any different of a ramp up, get ready for a fuckin' wake-up call.  Does that mean someone should reem the game in a review because they aren't any good at it?  No.  You have to look at overall design of the game...you have to look at THE GAME...and if a 9-year old can play it on Expert...then you should at LEAST be able to play on Easy.  If not, check your gamer status at the door as you are leaving the building."
This is the single most ignorant statement I've read in the entirety of this topic.  I'm going to pull a Sarah Palin and not argue it point to point, but I want to single out one particular idea:

"if a 9-year old can play it on Expert...then you should at LEAST be able to play on Easy"

There are people who can blow through Ninja Gaiden, there are those who can skip through the Mega Man games without as much as blinking an eye, there are players who can score one-hundred percent on "Through the Fire and the Flames".

That says nothing about the game's design or acceptable difficulty--that says everything about the aforesaid person's skill/level of memorization/devotion to the game.  Just because these prodigious players can rip through the game on the hardest of settings doesn't mean the game is good for having a playable difficulty.  Again, there is a difficulty vs. fun balance at work, and when a developer shifts that balance too dramatically, as is the case with something like Guitar Hero III, it is completely valid to hold that as a criticism against the game itself. 

Again, I'm not pro-level at Guitar Hero, but I can hold my own against the hardest songs in the series, and even I can readily acknowledge that III is nothing but a skittle-fest in comparison to the technical prowess of II."
Working at a gaming center, I can say that your point on this is quite drastic from what I see everyday at work.  I know at least 20 kids (age range from 9 - 18) who started out Guitar Hero III on easy and medium, and now they beat my ass on Expert.  I am by no means GREAT at Guitar Hero III (I can't do TTFAF), but I can 400k at least on one and get past Slayer.  I will say that the last tier of that game is ridiculous in terms of difficulty, and Slayer was a cheap shot to throw in there...specifically because I doubt that even Kerry King himself can play the "Mosh 1" part himself sometimes!
Nonetheless, the argument you present of a difficulty vs. fun balance can easily be said about difficult games like Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man 9.  Go watch the video of Jeff playing Mega Man 9.  Did he look like he was having fun?  NO!  Maybe he was, but from what I saw, it didn't.  Now, I could easily say that Mega Man 9 shifted dramatically from the difficulty level of Mega Man 8 just the way I can say that Guitar Hero III is a dramatic shift in difficulty from Guitar Hero Aerosmith.  Does that mean the game is bad?  NO.  Guitar Hero III fixed a LOT of the problems that Guitar Hero 1 and 2 had.  Hammer-ons were much easier to pull off and not so much of a chore to work with...thereby making it accessible to more players.  Those same kids I mentioned earlier that can wail on GH3...can't do SHIT on GH2.  Therefore, should we say that GH2 is more difficult due to the hammer-on/pull-off mechanic being inferior?  NO.  The tracklisting for GH3 may have flailed in a couple of places, but look back at GH2.  Did anyone ACTUALLY enjoy playing "Tattooed Love Boys"?  What about "Surrender"?  The same thing can be said about GH3 and some of the song choices on that.  The same about GH80s.  The same about GHA.  The fact is that a game based around rock music, in its own, is a very subjective idea.  I could hate the game because I don't like the songs on it.  Do I?  NO.

Saying that a game is too difficult because you can't play it on Expert is the same as saying that Ninja Gaiden made you cry and it's a bad game.  That's the same as saying Contra treats you unfairly.  NO.  It's just that the aim is to IMPROVE your skill at the game.

The same way I see people do it everyday.  Therefore, the idea of GH3 being something "difficult because it's broken" or "difficult because it ramps up to high" is only for those who are unwilling to get better at the game.  I have witnessed first hand the exact opposite of what you are stating, so which side is right and which side is wrong?

Maybe everyone is right.  Maybe GH3 is a huge ramp up from GH2.  On what difficulty?  Expert?  That's the only place you are comparing?  Hell, Hard and Expert are nearly the same thing...just leaving out some of the hammer-ons, so again...it's about ramping a player up to become better at the game...not punishing them.

Besides, if it ends up being too difficult because of a huge ramp up...no one would play it.  And yet GH3 outsells GH2 by a mile?  Sure, it's because of a larger install base...but how the hell is there a larger install base if it's SOOOOO difficult?

Here's a couple of pics for you.  Be the judge of what you want.

7-year-old Armani practicing to ramp up to Medium
7-year-old Armani practicing to ramp up to Medium
Kristen playing on Hard (sorry I don't have a picture of the screen, but she's playing Megadeth on GH2...she now 4-stars TTFAF on expert)...my ex in the back there plays Expert left-handed, has 85% or better on everything except TTFAF and Slayer and started on medium shortly after GH3 came out
Kristen playing on Hard (sorry I don't have a picture of the screen, but she's playing Megadeth on GH2...she now 4-stars TTFAF on expert)...my ex in the back there plays Expert left-handed, has 85% or better on everything except TTFAF and Slayer and started on medium shortly after GH3 came out

Me playing
Me playing "Six" on GH2...behind me are Peyton (small kid, black shirt, 99% on TTFAF expert), Josh (red shirt, 97% on TTFAF expert, started on easy four months before this), and onlookers
Italy and Jordan playing on Hard (started on easy 7 months before this)
Italy and Jordan playing on Hard (started on easy 7 months before this)
Ghostdog, who plays guitar in real life, and he's practicing on Expert to get a higher note % (one of our best players and he teaches Guitar Hero lessons!!!)
Ghostdog, who plays guitar in real life, and he's practicing on Expert to get a higher note % (one of our best players and he teaches Guitar Hero lessons!!!)
Peyton, our best player. 14 years old. Our BEST player. 99% on TTFAF on Expert, has gold starred every other song on the game. He started on Medium when GH2 came out and started on Hard when GH3 came out.
Peyton, our best player. 14 years old. Our BEST player. 99% on TTFAF on Expert, has gold starred every other song on the game. He started on Medium when GH2 came out and started on Hard when GH3 came out.

What kind of proof does any of this hold?  Maybe not much.  I can't show in pictures what I've seen with my own eyes unfold over the years.  All I know is that saying that Guitar Hero III is a huge ramp-up...I've seen otherwise.  If anything, it's made it more accessible thanks to changes they've made in the overall gameplay.
WonderNINJA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WonderNINJA

I think it's perfectly alright to hate on a game because it's hard.  After all, it's a case of personal preference, and some people may not enjoy a high level of difficulty in the games they play.   I see no problem with someone disliking a game because of it's difficulty, although I may disagree with their rationale.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Shadow

In retrospect, I think Guitar Hero is different from other games.  Normally, when a game is too hard, it's unreasonable to hate it.  But Guitar Hero (and Rock Band to a lesser extent) is different because it has a learning curve of several months, where most games have a leaning curve of less than an hour.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shasam
jakob187 said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
"jakob187 said:

Again, I'm not pro-level at Guitar Hero, but I can hold my own against the hardest songs in the series, and even I can readily acknowledge that III is nothing but a skittle-fest in comparison to the technical prowess of II."
Working at a gaming center, I can say that your point on this is quite drastic from what I see everyday at work.  I know at least 20 kids (age range from 9 - 18) who started out Guitar Hero III on easy and medium, and now they beat my ass on Expert.  I am by no means GREAT at Guitar Hero III (I can't do TTFAF), but I can 400k at least on one and get past Slayer.  I will say that the last tier of that game is ridiculous in terms of difficulty, and Slayer was a cheap shot to throw in there...specifically because I doubt that even Kerry King himself can play the "Mosh 1" part himself sometimes!
Nonetheless, the argument you present of a difficulty vs. fun balance can easily be said about difficult games like Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man 9.  Go watch the video of Jeff playing Mega Man 9.  Did he look like he was having fun?  NO!  Maybe he was, but from what I saw, it didn't.  Now, I could easily say that Mega Man 9 shifted dramatically from the difficulty level of Mega Man 8 just the way I can say that Guitar Hero III is a dramatic shift in difficulty from Guitar Hero Aerosmith.  Does that mean the game is bad?  NO.  Guitar Hero III fixed a LOT of the problems that Guitar Hero 1 and 2 had.  Hammer-ons were much easier to pull off and not so much of a chore to work with...thereby making it accessible to more players.  Those same kids I mentioned earlier that can wail on GH3...can't do SHIT on GH2.  Therefore, should we say that GH2 is more difficult due to the hammer-on/pull-off mechanic being inferior?  NO.  The tracklisting for GH3 may have flailed in a couple of places, but look back at GH2.  Did anyone ACTUALLY enjoy playing "Tattooed Love Boys"?  What about "Surrender"?  The same thing can be said about GH3 and some of the song choices on that.  The same about GH80s.  The same about GHA.  The fact is that a game based around rock music, in its own, is a very subjective idea.  I could hate the game because I don't like the songs on it.  Do I?  NO.

Saying that a game is too difficult because you can't play it on Expert is the same as saying that Ninja Gaiden made you cry and it's a bad game.  That's the same as saying Contra treats you unfairly.  NO.  It's just that the aim is to IMPROVE your skill at the game.

The same way I see people do it everyday.  Therefore, the idea of GH3 being something "difficult because it's broken" or "difficult because it ramps up to high" is only for those who are unwilling to get better at the game.  I have witnessed first hand the exact opposite of what you are stating, so which side is right and which side is wrong?

Maybe everyone is right.  Maybe GH3 is a huge ramp up from GH2.  On what difficulty?  Expert?  That's the only place you are comparing?  Hell, Hard and Expert are nearly the same thing...just leaving out some of the hammer-ons, so again...it's about ramping a player up to become better at the game...not punishing them.

Besides, if it ends up being too difficult because of a huge ramp up...no one would play it.  And yet GH3 outsells GH2 by a mile?  Sure, it's because of a larger install base...but how the hell is there a larger install base if it's SOOOOO difficult?"
I learnt to play expert on Guitar Hero, then moved to GH2, then 3. I have done the best I have done in any of those games in Guitar Hero 3, having 5 starred all the main set on Expert EXCEPT Raining Blood. Now, does that mean it's easier or at least similar in difficulty? No, it's bloody harder, A LOT HARDER, and that's something even I can recognise.

To address any issue with Hammer-on's, they are easier. They are too easy, and GH2 & Rock Band have the right idea when it comes to them, but that's another issue. Just because that single aspect of the game is harder in a previous version, does not make that entire game harder. GH3's last group, specifically Raining Blood, is insane. I played that song on medium for the first time, and only 4 starred. Having finished all the previous games, that was a bit of a shock, but is that not proof that the difficulty of that particular song is too hard? For someone who can play every other song in every other game on expert and 4 or 5 star them, should I not have breezed that song?

The average difficulty is not that much higher, but the ramp up as you progress up a certain difficulty is such a sudden jump that it spoils my opinion of the game.

As for difficulty impacting game sales, I don't think it does in this specific instance, mainly for the brand power that Guitar Hero now has. GH3 is outselling Rock Band mainly because of the name. If you look at the metacritic's for those games (and those are words that hurt me) and judge the quality of each of those games solely on that, Rock Band is better. However, Guitar Hero sells more because people have more recognition with what "Guitar Hero" means. If GH3 came out and was called "Rock Guitarist" or something equally as daft, would it have sold as much? I doubt it, but that's something we will never know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, Jakob's entire wall of text and heartrending pictures reaffirm one statement of my previous post, one I'm assuming he didn't read too closely/well. 

. . . there are players who can score one-hundred percent on "Through the Fire and the Flames".

That says nothing about the game's design or acceptable difficulty--that says everything about the aforesaid person's skill/level of memorization/devotion to the game.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Babble

I think it depends on the game, but I do think it has a place. At some point difficulty ruins the fun of a game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jakob187
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Really, Jakob's entire wall of text and heartrending pictures reaffirm one sentence of my previous post, one I'm assuming he didn't read too closely/well. 

. . . there are players who can score one-hundred percent on "Through the Fire and the Flames".

That says nothing about the game's design or acceptable difficulty--that says everything about the aforesaid person's skill/level of memorization/devotion to the game.

"
I read that.  Meant nothing more than complaining about a hard game...which in turn is leading to the question of "should you hate on a game because it's hard"...and apparently...you do.  =  /  On top of which, I hate even having to use TTFAF as an example for any song because it's fucking Dragonforce, and that's just insane to have on the game in the first place...which is why it's a bonus song and at the end credits.
Nonetheless, your sentence is basically saying that a person just has to not care about the game, and by all means, that's fine.  People can play on one of four difficulties, and if that's their thing, I'm not gonna shit on their parade with the elitest "oh, you can't play on Expert" shit.  If they have fun, they have fun.  "Raining Blood", yes, was a cheap shot...and I don't enjoy playing it just for the "Mosh 1" part.  As a metalhead, I know they could've picked something a hell of a lot better for that slot on the tracklist.  However, were "Number of the Beast", "One", and "Cliffs of Dover" really that hard?  No.  Not on any difficulty.

I do understand now that you guys are mainly talking about just the difficulty ramp up between the TIERS in the game and not actually from GH2 to GH3.  I think there are a good few cheap shots on the game ("Before I Forget" quote/unquote solo is fucking bullshit, and QOTSA's song on there pisses me off with the way it's charted)...but that's the thing.  Yes, those songs are hard, but once you beat them, they are getting you set up for the next tier.  So I don't know.  It's a field of differing opinions with no end in sight.

After World Tour comes out anyways, it won't matter to me anyways...given that I'm going to be playing Tool the entire time and nothing else.  Favorite bands FTW!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
 Favorite bands FTW!"
Do you have any idea how badly I want some of my favorite bands in a music-sim game?  Do you know the likelihood of that happening? 

I'll tell you: none.  Haha.  Feel lucky.