Is this the worst videogame generation yet?

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
@Jeust:  I didn't visit the original source to get a date of when this was published,  cause that would add  some validation if this was written when the "next gen" consoles came out.  When these consoles were launched it was all about gimmicks and features, sure.  With all the talk of motion control in the Wii and PS3, along with all the unnecessary clutter in the 360 menus (which still continues today) and a lackluster PS Home feature.  All of this comes with the evolution of technology though.  Companies try to get their system into as many homes as they possibly can.  But when it comes to software, this generation has had a fair number of "masterpieces".  Enough to compete with the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube anyway.  Especially considering how early we are still in this generation's life span.  Companies have started making more sequels than last gen (for better or worse), but original IPs are still coming around that could be considered "masterpieces"
  • Dead Space
  • Grand Theft Auto 4
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Uncharted 2
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Rock Band
  • Braid
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Gears of War

....to name a few. (Yes, I know a few of these IPs weren't new to the generation, but they were reinvisioned to great praise on the new systems.)  We won't really get a could grasp of what "cult classics" there will be until late this generation or early next.  We could still see some potentially great games come out in the years to come.  So I think its a little unfair to judge a console generation midway through its cycle.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ArchScabby

What?  Are you crazy?  I would argue this is the best gen if anything.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Linkyshinks

No, far from it.

CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
@demonbear: maybe the author should go look for some more Health Packs since he/she doesn't believe in taking cover.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Jeust
@FireBurger said:
" BioShock Assassin's Creed Super Mario 3D Super Mario 2DMetal Gear SolidThe Elder ScrollsUncharted Metroid Prime Call of Duty Halo Dragon Age Mass Effect ZeldaGhost Recon Battlefield Fallout Grand Theft Auto Half-Life   LittleBigPlanetLeft 4 DeadRainbow Six Mirror's Edge  Resident EvilGears of War Fight Night Dead Space  Forza  Those are just some of the franchises that have been great to awesome this generation. We are seeing an unprecedented number of great games coming out year after year after year. Have people forgotten about comparing 2007 to 1998?  The games are there and they are great, no doubt. If people are dissatisfied with the current generation it's due to jadedness and nostalgia more than anything else. I get jaded, too, from time to time, but some of my all-time favorite games have come out this generation (BioShock, Oblivion, Uncharted 2, Dragon Age, Orange Box).  On one of the Bombcasts, Paul Barnett talked about what he referred to as our personal "Golden Age" of gaming, which is a time that we look back on fondly and remember all the games we used to love, and think that was the best time for games. I agree 100% with that and I think that's mostly all this is. Saying that nothing has changed between this generation and last aside from graphics is plainly wrong. Think of how far storytelling has come in genres that previously didn't give a damn. Think about the expansive, populated, and living worlds games like Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Oblivion, and Dragon Age create. Think about the way persistent online functionality has changed the way we play FPSs. Think about the way that DLC (though sometimes used shadily) can add legs to a game that you would have otherwise long ago put on a shelf. Think about the way that games like Left 4 Dead have created great cooperative experiences. Think about the crazy, dramatic set-pieces that games like Call of Duty can now create with the power at hand. Think about how the motion control of the Wii can be used to interact with a game like never before. Think about the way the proliferation of online functionality as a whole has allowed people to interact with others through games more than ever before. Think about the way that games like LittleBigPlanet promote user-generated content, and how things like XBLA/PSN/Wii Marketplace bring us smaller games we otherwise may never have played (Braid, World of Goo, Geometry Wars). What did people want out of thise generation? How is any of what I mentioned any less of an increment over what the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube offered over the N64/PS1? Really, the biggest "innovation" I can think of there is making FPSs work well on a console, but that's still a genre that was in existence on PCs for a long time. I'm not saying advances weren't made in that leap, they certainly were, but I don't think it somehow outdoes the leap between the current generations.  Besides, if people want innovation, they should have bought Mirror's Edge. "
Super Mario 2D was great generations ago, now it was simply an update, with multiplayer.

Most of the games you mention are sequels to games of the previous generation, and don't evolve much at all, aside from graphics.

Have you played GTA: San Andreas? The original fallout games? Morrowind or Baldur's Gate 2?

The online component is an inovation and its various aplications in diversifying the game genres.

DLC while it enhances some games, most of them are just a new way to make more money of the fans.

The call of duty games created also impressive and moving scenarios before, it's not a exclusive of the last ones.

For now the special control of the wii in most cases could be substituted for a regular pad with little to no loss in experience.

The indie scene is a good point, though the psn and xbox live is besides gaming.

The gaming generations before this one focused on games alone, this one sees the shift of that focus into a myriad of other paralel businesses that don't benefit much the games, or does it?

Mirror's Edge it's a two edged sword, as while it was original the gameplay was enerving for me, especially for the plataforming it envolved. An original and good idea don't make necessarily a great game.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

More like the best gen.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By RobotHamster

I don't think that it is the worst.   Each generation has its great and not so great moments.  This generation has had a lot of great games but as we go on and on we expect too much out of the games we play making them seem less great than what they really are.  If the original mario was to be released now it wouldn't have as big as an impact as it did way back then, but it became a masterpiece because that was our childhood and probably our first game.  Now we expect a game to be as groundbreaking as that was but I don't think it'll happen.  This year alone we had Uncharted 2, Batman, Killzone 2, Modern Warfare 2, Assassins Creed 2, Resident Evil 5, mostly sequels but they were still pretty great games.  Now with all the motion control coming out, were just nervous that games will get too casual and forget us hardcore gamers really making this the worst generation, I know I am.  So, I don't think this is the worst generation but now everyone is just to critical and too hard to impress, it may not be as memorable as one's in the past but it's still damn good.  So that's just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong but that's just what I think.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By trophyhunter
@TooWalrus said:
" @trophyhunter: Who cares about the Wii. Oh, that's not even what I'm talking about. Those games try to evoke those feelings of nostalgia. I mean, the reason we think old generations kick ass (when in realty almost everything that came out then is awful) is because of our fond memories, or 'feeling of nostalgia.' Give it 15 years and some of my fond memories will be sitting around playing Modern Warfare 2 with my friends, and having an awesome time. And We'll convince ourselves that THAT generation is way ahead of the next generation, even though the games coming out for the next generation will be way better. "
very true and I don't really actually give a shit about the wii either
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By bubahula
@Jeust said:

Now the market is dominated by mediore western titles, titles that are so over-hyped (Mass Effect, Killzone 2, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Resistance, etc), proclaiming to be triple-A games, when in fact they aren't even anywhere close to hold such status.

i stopped reading there. a game being triple A has nothing to do with its quality.  its how much money the publisher wants to spend to market it.  
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jeust
@Bubahula: 

he said it in a depreciative and ironic form, as for many people triple A holds as awesome game.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Geno
@Jeust: I think people are more likely to say what they feel about games. They might base their buying decisions on critics but the opinions are usually from themselves. If I play a crappy game that the critics have given a 9.5 I have no trouble saying it's crappy. If I play an awesome game that the critics have given a 7.5 I have no trouble with saying it's amazing. 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Diamond

I can see how certain fanboys of certain platforms might feel this way.  If you're a gamer and you open yourself to what's available on all platforms, then you will see how that is definitely not true.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jeust
@Geno: 

yep! :)
Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#65  Edited By Valkyr

What defines a good generation apart from the quality of the games, is the arrival of new IPs and it's a shame that when a Dev tries to push them hard, we say that they are riping off another franchise or that they don't add anything new, we should support new IPs apart from getting hyped when we see "Call of Duty" written on the box and then bear no dedicated servers and stupid mp cap (that was in fact, a last minute announcement, shame on you IW). If we accept such bad trends, then other Devs could use that as an excuse to do the same. 

To make matters worse, we have this stupid retailer exclusives or demos that are only available preordering games or day one DLC, come on, day one DLC!!, why that content is not already on the disc??, which is your standard for enough content for full price??, like someone said "This content is enough for what they are paying, let's give them the other 20 hours of fun for a plus, they will pay it ", that's stupid, I love Bioware games, they are awesome but seriously, couldn't they just waited a month to release that and make us believe that content was not already developed?? Dragon Age is a great RPG, but come on, why???

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By TheKidNixon
@guiseppe I knew I recognized that name from somewhere. This leads me to think that this is someone who just has a blog page on the EDGE website, rather than being an actual writer FOR Edge.  Add the criticism of a glut of "Western" games and you have another big alarm; EDGE is notorious for giving more interest to Western, specifically European developed, releases.

I think if you look at the last two year (2007 and 2008), its hard to really pin this generation as the "worst." Doubly so if you look at the level of uninspired crap that flooded the market between the initial innovation of the 2600 until the NES came along. 

I think part of the issue is that what games actually has become somewhat static; there hasn't been a paradigm shifting moment like the shift into 3D in a while, so it can feel like we aren't going anywhere. But as others said, games like Bioshock, GTA4, Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 2, both Modern Warfares, Metal Gear Solid 4, Wii Sports (it might not be as popular around these here parts, but it is an "important" title from a videogame history perspective) and several others have really raised the bar on viable game experiences. Even from a hardware stand point, this is the generation when game add-ons and full downloadable titles became available on video game consoles. That radically changes, and I'd say for the better, how we think of consuming our games.

So no, this isn't the worst generation. That is probably nostalgia and sentimentality clouding ones expectations and vision. I also wouldn't say that this is the best generation, but only because it is impossible to tell where we go from here.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jeust
@Diamond said:
" I can see how certain fanboys of certain platforms might feel this way.  If you're a gamer and you open yourself to what's available on other platforms, then you will see how that is definitely not true. "
can you elaborate on that?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Diamond
@Jeust said:
" @Diamond said:
" I can see how certain fanboys of certain platforms might feel this way.  If you're a gamer and you open yourself to what's available on other platforms, then you will see how that is definitely not true. "
can you elaborate on that?
No, because that is unnecessary, and will only stir up trouble.  If you're dedicated to a certain platform or platform maker generation after generation and things change, I could see you being disappointed.  Platform loyalty is by definition stupid.  Follow the games, follow your interests.
r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By r0k1ll

No. Games like Uncharted 2, Fallout 3, COD4, Gears of War, etc. are all really good AAA games this generation. I think this generation has been more fun than last, but less inovation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I began disagreeing when you mentioned Killzone 2 and Fallout 3 being mediocre, which they are most definitely not.

CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
@Godwind: Haha! Excellent point, sir.  I'm sure in 10-20 years some guy will sit down and be playing Damnation, Darkest of Days, or something to Do with the Wii Balance board and be saying the same stuff.
CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
@Luke: I could go for some more Mega Man
Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Cazamalos

this gen has give us EXCELLENT software , with AAA games and they will keep coming at least 2 years, but in the hardware quality is been the worst gen obviously, but that guy is crazy there are A LOT OF EXCELLENT GAMES this gen.

also the improves on online gaming and online interface with DLC are another strong point of this gen.

bluemantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By bluemantra

An article that is based on gross generalization and no structure or facts, with sources, to back up his argument for persuasion. FAIL

regnits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By regnits

I've been gaming since the early 80s and yes we are now stuck in a loop. Good original games are now only a few a year but what we got just gets better and better. There has never been a better time to start gaming we are spoiled for choice. You think of it and almost guaranteed you can find a game and play it. Plus if you can't find it there will be a mod somewhere on the net close to your vision.

I'm glad the gaming industry has slowed down because in the late 90s the progress was so fast it was heading to a big bang. Thankfully Virtual Reality didn't take off we were not ready for this in the late 90s Just think how bad the games would have been if that was the future. Games should always be that GAMES not Virtual Reality. We have the big outside world for our reality fix and that is why we are gamers. We want to escape from reality for us to think we are something we will never be.    

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jeust
@regnits said:
"We want to escape from reality for us to think we are something we will never be.     "
Great phrase.

I agree with you.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#77  Edited By JonathanMoore

Worst Gen?... N64 era for me. It felt like the experimental era that Computer Games needed to transition to the PS2 era... then things picked up a lot. 

Of course there were classic games. Spyro, Mario 64, Crash Bandicoot.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By FireBurger
@Jeust: 

Super Mario 2D was great generations ago, now it was simply an update, with multiplayer.

Granted, but it is still a great, fun game, regardless of whether or not it is innovative.

Most of the games you mention are sequels to games of the previous generation, and don't evolve much at all, aside from graphics.

Personally, I think most of those games have evolved a ton. Like I said, go back and play some of the older entries in the series' and see how they hold up? Take a look at the COD Classic QL and compare that to a current-gen COD (2 onward).

Have you played GTA: San Andreas? The original fallout games? Morrowind or Baldur's Gate 2? 

I did play San Andreas and some Fallout/Morrowind. I am aware that other, previous games have done large open worlds before, but never in such a rich detailed way. Things like full VO, and the detail of the worlds allowed by current technology can make a huge difference in immersion. Also, look at how much more user-friendly and streamlined Oblivion and Fallout are compared to Morrowind.

The online component is an inovation and its various aplications in diversifying the game genres.

DLC while it enhances some games, most of them are just a new way to make more money of the fans.

The call of duty games created also impressive and moving scenarios before, it's not a exclusive of the last ones. 

Right. I'm not saying it's innovative, it's still really cool and impressive. I realize that you don't need big bangs and particle effects to achieve emotional resonance, but you can't deny the excitement of flying down a beautifully detailed mountain on a snowmobile with dozens of AI in pursuit, or breaching through a door with smoke and debris flying through the air in slow-motion. It's not revolutionary, but the technology can definitely make for more compelling experiences.

For now the special control of the wii in most cases could be substituted for a regular pad with little to no loss in experience. 

Again, yes. However, some games can and do use it right. If you want innovation you need a first step, and to bash that first step is counterproductive.

The indie scene is a good point, though the psn and xbox live is besides gaming.

The gaming generations before this one focused on games alone, this one sees the shift of that focus into a myriad of other paralel businesses that don't benefit much the games, or does it?

I think there is plenty of emphasis on the games this generation. Yes, there is a lot of focus on peripheral components of the current consoles, but that's all Microsoft and Sony's business. It's not like game developers are setting aside their games to work on Netflix integration or a Facebook app. Developers and publishers have their focus soley on their games.

Mirror's Edge it's a two edged sword, as while it was original the gameplay was enerving for me, especially for the plataforming it envolved. An original and good idea don't make necessarily a great game.

Agreed, that a good idea and innovation for the sake of innovation does not necessarily make a good game. However, I found Mirror's Edge to be unique, refreshing, well-made, and most of all fun. I understand that people took issue with it for various reasons, I just feel that too many people didn't give it a fair shake.

------

If what people want is a new genre, I would argue that online multiplayer is this generations new genre. Yes, it was born last-gen, but it has truly come into its own and evolved so much this generation. It used to be "press a button to enter matchmaking and then play the game." There is just so much more online functionality now that I would argue that is this gens greatest innovation, and a very important one at that. I just don't understand how people can say this is a bad generation for gaming. There is innovation, and even the games that use old frameworks are the most polished and well-presented versions of those frameworks ever made. How can that make this the worst generation?

Again, like I said before, I think a lot of this comes back to simple jadedness and nostalgia. Things always were and will be better in "the good old days."
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I find every game over 90% on gamerankings, like cod 4, modern warfare 2, bioshock, gears of war, fallout 3, oblivion, mass effect.. ect to be master pieces. However I agree with him about where are the japanese games? Considering final fantasy games were among my favorite last gen. I think japanese developers are struggling with the cost and building engines, making their games next gen to be focusing on the gameplay and art design which they were really good at. That's my opinion anyways, the games are alot more westernised now if you enjoyed the ps2 era. There is alot of mediocrity this gen imo, too many AA exclusives among few of the consoles. Last gen everything was AAA on gamerankings for the ps2, every new game I bought was fantastic. However I suppose it's pointless dwelling in the past.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ryanwho

If you're not into shooters and overcompensation, this hasn't been a great gen for you.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Milkman

If there is nothing this generation that you would consider a masterpiece, then you either don't like video games or you're completely retarded.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By thecleric
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" So the guy likes shitty Japanese games...   And no, this is without a doubt the best gen.  "
No kidding, I bet he finds that anime is better than modern cinema too.
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Famov
@thecleric said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL said:
" So the guy likes shitty Japanese games...   And no, this is without a doubt the best gen.  "
No kidding, I bet he finds that anime is better than modern cinema too. "

We should not insult videogames by comparing them to either anime or modern cinema.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jeust
@FireBurger said:
" @Jeust: 

I think there is plenty of emphasis on the games this generation. Yes, there is a lot of focus on peripheral components of the current consoles, but that's all Microsoft and Sony's business. It's not like game developers are setting aside their games to work on Netflix integration or a Facebook app. Developers and publishers have their focus soley on their games. "
True, but they are many times enhancing the graphics so they look sharper or trying a perfect fit with the periphrals, what shifts a bit of the focus it the actual game had, doesn't it?
sumdim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By sumdim

Lovin' the games this year. Nostalgia's a helluva drug, bud.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By iam3green

no, not really the worst but there are not that best games out there. i don't think there are this game is so awesome type of games but there are good games out there.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#87  Edited By killroycantkill

You have to take into consideration that this gen is still young and is still pretty expensive to deveop for. I'm sure once it becomes older and people understand the systems more we will get our (Saying these games because I like them A LOT) God Hands and Okami's. Its just a matter of time. But I can confidently say that I have way WAY better games for the PS2 than I do for my PS3. Hopefully companies will be able to bring some more original games like on last gen rather than having every game with a number at the end of the title.

Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Tonic7

To answer your question as succinctly as possible: no.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Brunchies

I think this is actually a great gen for gaming, It won't bring back as much nostalgia as the last one but it will bring some.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Slippy

Probably not the worst, but it's a huge downgrade from the PS2, PS1 and SNES eras. To be honest I blame the more balanced competition this time round - it was way more fun when the majority of the amazing third party games went to one console. Now we have to buy 3 consoles and 2 handhelds to get the most out of the gen, rather than just riding it out with our favourite franchises on the one console like before. And before anyone points out the Wii as the dominant console, bear in mind I am talking about volume of games: i'll just say, that most third parties are still hesitant about putting their prized franchises on the Wii for a reason.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Andorski

Sounds like the blogger just doesn't like the shift in focus from eastern style games to western style games.  If you are a fan of turn-based RPGs, turn-based strategy games, and hardcore stylish action games... this generation would seem crappy.  I'm personally loving this generation, with the focus on online competitive and cooperative games , FPS games, and western-style RPGs.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ryanwho

But um. Not really. Cus the DS has all those games. They're still being made, they're for the DS. Allegedly the OP isn't concerned with graphics, and if that's the case, the DS should counteract most of his complaints. But if his real complaint is not enough gaudy FMV games for the clear platform leader, well yeah, that's not around anymore. Or at least, its around, but its in  Western games now and none-RPGs now thereby making people less tolerant of the unchanging tedium that's present in most Eastern RPGs lately because the payoff, that used to be exclusive to them, can now be found in games that aren't tedius and dated, so its less of a payoff.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

What about GTA:IV? what about Metal Gear Solid 4? what about Uncharted 2?

What truly defines a masterpiece? Because I think all of the above have moved gaming to a new level of some sort.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By meteora

I think this is the best game generation yet. We're getting a lengthy life cycle for this console generation, what's not to like about that?

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Spike94

Eh, not at all. I think this is a terrific gen. 
But that's me.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I think every generation is better than the last.

EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By EndlessMike

Things always seem better one generation back. I feel like this exact same argument gets made every single generation. People are never happy with what they have until it's gone.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#98  Edited By KowalskiManDown

It is impossible to answer this question objectively.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By jmrwacko
@Famov said:

" The worst gen is the one that allowed the creation of the 3D0 and the one that killed 2D gaming, presumably for the advancement of FMV games. So, that horrible middle period between the 16 and 32 bit generations, 1993 - 1995.  Think about it for a minute, people sincerely thought that Full Motion Video games were the future. So I've been told, Sewer Shark was a respected enough as a commercial product that it was sold with the Sega CD.  That should never have happened. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but FMV games suck so much it's almost not funny, but just almost. "

The FMV games weren't completely terrible. They've sort of gone back to the FMV type gameplay with interactive cutscenes like in Resident Evil 4 and 5. 

CD-I, however... lmao

Binzno2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Binzno2
@Biohazardous: I actually thought Bioshock way WAAAY overhyped. For all the ballyhoo it got for it's unique and innovative story telling, it really didn't do anything new at all. Sure, the art-deco look was very unique and cool, but the whole "tell a story using audio logs" thing has been around forever. Doom 3 used the exact same thing, and you never heard much about the story in that game. Hell, it really just took pretty much everything it did from it's own spiritual predecessor, System Shock II, which is a ten-year-old game at this point. The moral choice thing with the Little Sisters seemed kind of dumb to me too, since there was no real consequence for your actions. Do I care if the Little Sister lives or dies? Of course I don't, because, regardless of the choice I make, an identical little girl is going to crawl out of her pre-scripted hidey-hole in a few minutes anyway. It was a fun game, but an innovative one? Other than the setting (which, I again concede, was very fresh) can you name one thing the game did that was really new?