• 86 results
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Gerhabio

According to game designer Keiji Inafune of Megaman and Street Fighter fame, Japan is about 5 years behind western developers in terms of innovation in game design due to dwindling investments in the industry. This comes at a time when (a month ago) it was reported that video game sales worldwide fell about 10% from $910.3 million to $818.9 million, the lowest in 4 yrs.
What do you guys think? You agree with Mr. Inafune?

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Leptok

The games have not had mass appeal in this generation. 

The one thing I absolutely hate about Japanese games is the effete leads. 

Windex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Windex

On a personal level, I know that my taste in video game have changed in the last 4-5 years. I've gone from owning all the major consoles in the previous generation with a preference for JRPGs to mainly gaming on an Xbox 360 with a preference for "Western RPGs" and multi-player shooters that I can play online with friends and co-workers. I still have my DS for the occasional JRPG but I'm really more into pick-up and play puzzles like Picross 3D when I'm on the go.

So is the problem really that Japanese developers have failed to innovate this generation? Maybe the general tastes of gamers have changed now that there are more options available to us.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

Whenever I see a Japanese game it does seem that way. (five years behind)  Not always, but most of them.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

Another one of these posts. I saw this same exact post in 2 other topics. 

Anyways, we need games to be different that what us Americans have. If everything was the same then no one would play games ever again.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

They started falling behind last generation, now it's worse.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mutha3

Oh look, its this terrible thread again.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By one_2nd

How is that a question?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By meteora

Japanese games used to be great, but as games began to modernize and shape up into a billion-valued market where big titles cost several tens of millions dollars to make a game, Japanese developers began to lose their edge. It also does not help that western gamers have began to grow a dislike of Japanese developers, particularly in the JRPG genre, where innovation is sorely lacking and voice actors all have to voice 12 year olds or something. *shrugs*

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Faint

I think a lot of the Japanese developers just didn't know where to go with this generation of consoles. Final Fantasy XIII is evidence of that.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By PufferFiz

No they are not behind they are just being dumb because they expect the west to eat their shit up. and guess what. WE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES IN GAME. SURPRISE!!! Japan should make games for japan the us should make games for the us.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By Icemael

How many of these threads do we have?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Faint said:
" I think a lot of the Japanese developers just didn't know where to go with this generation of consoles. Final Fantasy XIII is evidence of that. "
This. Lord knows how much I hate that game. Not because of what it is, but what it should have been.
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I think you see a lot of game design not translating well into "western" gaming but you can see that when comparing Europe to North American and the games they develop and purchase. 
Are they 5 years behind? Perhaps in some cases, but one could argue the games NA is known for producing isn't as caught up as Japanese games considering the top selling games are FPS.  
Late adoption of online I think factors the most heavily on the lagging behind the rest of the industry.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By yoshimitz707
@PrimeSynergy said:
" @Faint said:
" I think a lot of the Japanese developers just didn't know where to go with this generation of consoles. Final Fantasy XIII is evidence of that. "
This. Lord knows how much I hate that game. Not because of what it is, but what it should have been. "
Remember it for what it was supposed to be. Not what it was.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fjordson

I haven noticed that my affinity for Japanese games has lessened.

But while many Japanese games have seen dwindling success in Western markets this generation, plenty of powerhouse franchises developed over here continue to not sell well in the East. There's two sides to it. I think you hear more about Japanese developed games not catching on worldwide simply because the market is bigger in places like the United States.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Mcfart

persona!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By mike
@Fjordson: Of course...which is why Japanese game houses are slowly but surely dying. Development costs are skyrocketing, and with little to no innovation and extremely niche products coming out of Japan, it's no wonder they're falling further and further behind. Western developers don't need to have their games sell well in Japan in order to be successful. 

If the Japanese game development industry wants to stay alive, then they seriously need to make their games appeal to a wider audience and not just to Japan and a very small percentage of Western consumers.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fjordson
@MB: Oh, I agree. I just think it's somewhat of an unfair portrayal of the global market when people act like some of these Western franchises are selling gang busters in every region.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

This exact thread exists on page 2. Bother to do half a second of research before making redundant-ass threads, thanks.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mutha3
@MB said:
" @Fjordson: Of course...which is why Japanese game houses are slowly but surely dying. Development costs are skyrocketing, and with little to no innovation and extremely niche products coming out of Japan, it's no wonder they're falling further and further behind. Western developers don't need to have their games sell well in Japan in order to be successful. 

If the Japanese game development industry wants to stay alive, then they seriously need to make their games appeal to a wider audience and not just to Japan and a very small percentage of Western consumers. "
This makes absolutely no sense. Development costs are rising........therefore the Japanese have a sensible orientation towards handhelds and sustaining a profitable niche. Most JP companies are doing just fine, actually, and when your dev costs aren't ridiculously high, you don't need to be a million seller.

(I won't deny that most JP companies, like their western counterpart, are completely incompetent when it comes to handling finances)

Its the west that's really slowly killing itself by crapping out overproduced shooters which decide the entire companies fate each time they're released. 

I'm not even gonna bother with the" innovation" part. Not only because western companies seem to be able to produce two genres at most, but because "innovation" has absolutely nothing to with success.
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoRoNimo

It looks like they're trying. Platinum Games, in particular, tend to have games that are too western for western gamers. It's like Japanese developers, in some cases, try TOO hard to be more western. Look at Resident Evil 5, for example.  

Innovation isn't everything though. My beloved Mirror's Edge didn't exactly light a fire on any sales charts, and that game was awesome!....or, at least, I thought so.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shiftymagician
@jorojoserojas said:
" It looks like they're trying. Platinum Games, in particular, tend to have games that are too western for western gamers. It's like Japanese developers, in some cases, try TOO hard to be more western. Look at Resident Evil 5, for example.  

Innovation isn't everything though. My beloved Mirror's Edge didn't exactly light a fire on any sales charts, and that game was awesome!....or, at least, I thought so. "
I too thought Mirror's Edge was pretty good, though they still need to refine the mechanics that were involved in it before they give it another go.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper

At least alot of Japanese game houses are still bringing the crazy. The only things I can think of that the West has brought to videogames in the last 5 years is the colour brown and a cover system.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mutha3
@Scooper said:
" At least alot of Japanese game houses are still bringing the crazy. The only things I can think of that the West has brought to videogames in the last 5 years is the colour brown and a cover system. "
Dialogue options in a wheel shape.

INNOVATION!!
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Argh, not this again. Keiji Inafune is hardly going to be unbiased when he refers to a game industry in which he's a participant. Perhaps he's goggle-eyed at the kind of sales figures 'the West' gets, but it's completely idiotic to compare the two regions. Let's end these threads and poorly thought-out comparisons once and for all. Unless you know the Japanese industry first-hand (ie. can afford to import consoles and games and can understand the language) and offer a meaningful comparison between the output of the two regions, it's just random opinion. Sure, we can talk about the differences between the games we have access to, but this is a restricted sample which doesn't entitle us to talk about 'Japan' or its 'industry' in sweeping terms.
Based on what I've played, I see no reason to consider Japan behind, especially for such a relatively small population.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fjordson
@mutha3:  Which two genres are you referring to?
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

In terms of story-telling, especially in regards to the interactive element and character development, the difference between Japanese and Western is pretty noticeable.  Compare something like Mass Effect to Final Fantasy XIII and there are very stark differences.  Again, perhaps this has to do with the different cultures, but considering many in Japan seem to be agreeing, I don't think this can simply be dismissed.

Games like Pokemon or Monster Hunter are more good examples, where they're perfectly content to release exactly the same thing over and over with nominal improvements.  They don't have to change the core gameplay, but even things like making them more dynamic or even free roaming would greatly enhance the experience.  Having to accept "quests" just to be able to go out into the field in MH for example, just to collect mushrooms is frankly.. antiquated.  The game would really benefit from having a more immersive, fluid style.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Kazona

Yes, I agree. A lot of Japanese developers stick to old conventions, and give off the impression that they simply do not want to acknowledge that Western developers have improved upon, or done away, with that old school of thought. And, in my opinion, it's often little things that could easily be fixed, but for one reason or another, they simply don't do. If I had to take a guess, I would say that it's because they are trying to cater to their own audience first (Japan), and the Western second, and they are afraid of alienating them if they change those little things. 

Those are just assumptions of course. There are plenty of other theories one could come up with, but unless we get the answer from the developers themselves, we will never know for sure. I just hope that they don't stick to their old ways until it's too late to change, and the Japanese gaming industry goes under completely. It would be a real shame to see those that pretty much laid the groundwork for gaming to wither and die.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Fjordson said:
" @mutha3:  Which two genres are you referring to? "
I'd say he's talking about FPSs and RPGs and he'd be right.  The other genres are a crap shoot and really it's only Will Wright who consistently makes money for EA with almost no dev cost when scaled against their other projects.  The Western (read: American) method is to throw more money at the problem and while the market builds to critical mass that seems to be making some people look incredibly smart but the fact is it's also making game development hideously expensive and the net affect is that the market gets smaller in terms of brains trust as the bottom line focus leads to more and more renditions of the same themes over and over. 
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3
@Fjordson said:
" @mutha3:  Which two genres are you referring to? "
@SeriouslyNow said:

I'd say he's talking about FPSs and RPGs and he'd be right.  e focus leads to more and more renditions of the same themes over and over.  "

I suppose once in a blue moon a western dev might crap out an RTS or a racing game.

But, that's pretty much it.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fjordson

There is a lot of those genres to be sure, but I think you're selling Western devs as a whole a bit short.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mutha3
@Fjordson said:
" There is a lot of those genres to be sure, but I think you're selling Western devs as a whole a bit short. "
Well, of course I'm exaggerating:P this the internet.

....But I truly mean when I say that the lack of variety in Western games and the massive hardon companies have when throwing millions of dollar at a game which has been made several times before, kinda bothers me.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fjordson
@mutha3: Yeah, I agree with that.

And I don't know much about business or economics, so this might sound stupid, but I worry that development costs are going to get so astronomical that it's going to weed out all but the biggest of devs. Either that, or they'll be forced to migrate to places like Activision and EA and everyone else will be left by the wayside. Then we'll see even more stagnation as far as creativity and originality in design.
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gaff

I'm just going to repost what I wrote in the earlier thread... 

- PSP: 30,761 [DOWN] 4,078 (11.71%) 
- PS3: 19,907  [DOWN] 2,320 (10.44%) 

- DSi LL: 19,076  [UP] 147 (0.78%)
- DSi: 16,345  [DOWN] 623 (3.67%)
- Wii: 15,031  [DOWN] 1,049 (6.52%)
- DS Lite: 4,328  [UP] 289 (7.16%)
- Xbox 360: 2,915  [UP] 55 (1.92%)
- PS2: 1,363  [DOWN] 7 (0.51%)
- PSP Go: 809 [DOWN] 118 (12.73%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/19/japanese-hardware-sales-sept-6-sept-12-live-from-tokyo-edi/  

Pop quiz time!

• What jumps out at you when looking at the most recent hardware sales chart? If you answered the weird domination of the handheld consoles, you've hit the mark. Most informed people know that Monster Hunter and the portable Dragon Quest games have been runaway successes in Japan. Small living quarters and excellent public transportation are contributing factors to foster a large portable gaming culture. Gaming on cell phones and handhelds is probably at its finest (or worst, depending on how you look at things) in Japan.
  • The PSP launched in Japan on December 12th, 2004. The original brick Nintendo DS launched on December 2nd, 2004. It is now 2010. That 5 year time period fits precisely the gap Inafune sees between Japan and Western developers. Now factor in the cost of developing for the current-gen consoles, the close compatibility between PSP and the DS to their big brother counterparts (the PS2 and the Gamecube respectively) and the aforementioned popularity of portable gaming in Japan...

And you get one side of the world that is playing games on (basically) the previous, "obsolete" generation of consoles with rampant piracy issues and the other side playing expensive, million dollar budgeted games. And frankly, neither side is coming out a winner.    
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Disgaeamad

And yet another thread full of double standards and people who don't actually have a clue of what they're talking about. Gotta love the forums!

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37  Edited By damnboyadvance

Just look at Nintendo. Where has all of their innovation been?

Thatotherguy79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Thatotherguy79

Man the Japan is doomed threads are getting boring on the internet lately not enough drama in them now. The Marcus Fenix club must have finally hunted down and killed off the last Weeaboo.

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mattysen

Fuck that, the game I'm waiting on in the future is Catherine. It looks so crazy and original. There's nothing in the western market like that 

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

I think that Japan is stuck in the past time,kinda like you said.The only games they're making right now is mostly sequels to other games.Such as New Super Mario Bros,Tensai Persona etc.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Japan a country? And isn't the west like three continents?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Gaff said:

" I'm  And you get one side of the world that is playing games on (basically) the previous, "obsolete" generation of consoles with rampant piracy issues and the other side playing expensive, million dollar budgeted games. And frankly, neither side is coming out a winner.     "

Except that the Wii owns over 60% of market share.  Nintendo is coming out the Winner and they've managed to do so consistently since the release of the Wii with much smaller budgets in terms of R&D, build cost (they still turn a profit on their base hardware) and game development budgets.  Truthfully it's the US model which is the losing one.  The PS3 is arguably built on the XBOX 360's model (with minor differences which are now being homogenised away with PSN+ and Move vs Kinect) and neither Sony nor MS have reported much in the way of actual profit.  Sorry but Inafune is just doing what he's being paid to do and that is to cowtow to his own internal customer demands, those of Sony and MS in the US Market.  

Capcom needs the US Model to be successful into the future because the Arcade Market is shrinking rapidly whereas Nintendo doesn't need anything to change to stay on top.  We need to ask more about why we're even aware of Japanese dev complaining about Japan being 5 years behind the curve while another Japanese company leads the console market by a fair margin.

We need to look deeper than just the shallow answers which qualify our collective jingoism. 
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ProfessorEss
@G3RHRT said:

Japan is about 5 years behind western developers in terms of innovation in game design due to dwindling investments in the industry.

Maybe I'm the one who's wrong but I get the impression he's talking about high production, mass market titles - not the industry as a whole. People keep bringing up Wii and DS console sales as a defense but I feel like this just further proves the point he's making. 

He says investors aren't investing big money into big titles I don't see how astronomical DS sales invalidate this - quite the opposite in fact. When games like Super Mario Brothers, Monster Hunter, Pokemon and Dragonquest are routinely updated, re-painted and met with millions of units moved where is the incentive for an investor to take a risk on something new?

I feel like everyone is reading this as Inafune complaining that Japanese developers are bad, where I'm reading this as someone who is passionate about games and feels Japan is stuck in a rut - regardless of how successful/good/bad that rut is. Again, maybe I'm the one missing the point, but I get the impression that this is less about market share and more about pride.

I don't keep the closest tabs on sales and all that but I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to this:

Does anyone know what was the last original Japanese IP that has moved millions of units in Japan was?
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jadeskye

i love japanese games but i have to admit they have been putting out the same stuff for a while. failure to innovate i'd say.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@ProfessorEss:
Show me an example of just one Western Developer like Grasshopper Studios or a project like Deadly Premonition/Persona 4 which is funded at the same scale?

There is money in Japan and they are a market which generally likes their stalwarts but because of their series success rates there is also a lot more money funding many more independent projects than in the West.

In the West, most of our innovation comes from smaller, independent developers like Notch who work outside the studio system.
freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By freshakiff

I remember reading that most japenes game devs hate ripping each-other off, which i think stunts them. the way western devs work is by improving little by little on an each others ideas until you get something really good. Japanese devs get an innovative idea once in a blue moon and instead of innovating they itterate, making  a bazillion of sequels with barely any actual improvements to the original game, just look at most big Japanese series. 

so for example:
  western:
doom-> quake -> duke-> serious sam   

eastern:
pokemon->every sequel 
monster hunter-> every sequel
dynasty warriors->every sequel

while their are exceptions to this rule I  think this is right for the most part.

TL,DR:
western devs: innovate
eastern devs: itterate

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By hinderk
@freshakiff said:
TL,DR:western devs:itterate eastern devs: itterate "  
Fixed 

It's seems like western developers are getting less and less innovative every. I honestly can't thing of a single western game that wasn't a sequel with only a few improvements(or none at all) or a rehash of some other popular game.
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gaff
@ProfessorEss:  You're stealing my point :( 

Japan is stuck in a very profitable rut making games for systems who's tech is by now more than 5 years old. 

And I'm not sure, but I think the last original Japanese IP that moved Millions in Japan was... Brain Training?! http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=2948 

@SeriouslyNow:  And how is the Wii state-of-the-art hardware? Also, while Nintendo may well be leading the pack of Japanese developers, it's kind of a broken comparison when you compare a platform holder (you know, the guys that actually earn money with each console sold) with a third party publisher / developer (you know, the guys who earn money with each game sold). "Hey Capcom, why can't you earn the same money as Nintendo?" Capcom: "Pack-in sales, grmbl, lack of third party support, grmbl, outdated hardware, grmbl...". Think I'm making things up?  

Take the case of third-party publisher Capcom, whose stock rose to a five-year high in September, 2007 due to increased support for the Wii, according to the company.

At the time, its CFO spoke enthusiastically about Capcom's Wii portfolio -- which had doubled from three to six games -- and was poised to publish Zack & Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure  the next month.

But Chris Kramer, Capcom senior director of communications and community, said even though "it was one of the highest-rated Wii games and was beloved by the media, it sold abysmally -- about 120,000 units in 26 months -- for no apparent reason.

Similarly, Japanese publisher Marvelous Entertainment focused heavily on Wii and PSP releases in 2009, but the company found a  considerable difference  in its success on the two platforms. Four out of its five PSP games in its first fiscal half were profitable while three of its four Wii games during the same period lost money.

According to Kramer, "If you're not Nintendo, it does seem harder to make money on the Wii today compared to the PS3 and the Xbox 360. It's a very tough market to crack and is ever-shifting." 

Jan 8th 2010, source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4237/thirdparty_publishers_react_to_.php

As Ubisoft today sent its financial forecast soaring downward for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2010, CEO Yves Guillemot pledged to steer the company away from the suffering casual market. Specifically, "with a view to further reducing our exposure to the DS, we intend to continue to refocus our development resources on our major franchises and on the Xbox 360 and PS3, the two consoles which are expected to see sales growth in games for gamers in 2010," Guillemot said.

Jan 13th 2010, source:  http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/ubisoft-to-refocus-on-xbox-360-ps3-and-major-franchises/   
You could say that people are abandoning ship? 

Edit: Eugh, I hate it when quote formatting goes wrong :(
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mono_Listo

As publishers, I suppose "where it counts", they're fine financially (Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, et al and et cetera). Idea and creatively-wise, they're too set in their ways and are clearly receding. They keep it up, and they really will be in trouble before too long.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ProfessorEss
@SeriouslyNow: Thought I made it pretty clear in my last post that I'm not expert here.

I'm just saying I look at the man's credentials and I'm inclined to put a lot of weight on his comments.

It's gonna take a lot to convince me that anyone on this site has more insight, passion and personal stake in this than Inafune.