Most Intense Boss Battles: Twilight Princess

TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TGB

This was an excellently designed game, but I wish the first ten hours were better paced
This was an excellently designed game, but I wish the first ten hours were better paced
The Legend of Zelda for me has always represented the pinnacle in gaming boss battles. Each games bosses build on the experiences and weapons you gain from the playing of the game. Each one is bigger and badder then the last. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is my favorite game in the series, and every boss battle was well made and enjoyable, even if the makers seemed to be obsessed with making evil eye-ball creatures.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was a game that I had to rush through. I was playing a borrowed copy on a borrowed Wii. The game started out a bit too slow for my tastes, too much bumbling around digging up Twilight bugs. I wanted to finish this game, but it was plodding, I actually wasn't having all that much fun because of the time limit I had placed on myself. It took me a good 20 hours before I really felt like it was a great game, before I was having a lot of fun (about when I reached the Snowpeak Ruins) and the charm of the characters and the setting of the game started to sink in. If the game had ended there I would have been happy, but would have still considered Ocarina of Time a better experience. That is until I reached Argorok, the Twilit Dragon in the City of in Sky.

This was the best picture I could find?
The arena for the boss battle was humongous. You had to use the dual hookshot at least 3-4 times before you were even high enough to take on the massive Dragon. My heart was beating like crazy and my eyes were beaming with anticipation as I hookshoted my way through the sky like fucking Spider Man, slinging from one platform to the next. The music for the battle was belting, epic in its tone and perfectly caught the tenor of the fight, as a thunder storm raged in the background and I was fighting a huge freaking Dragon thousands of feet in the air. Everything about that battle, the magnitude, the awesome use and reinvention of the Hookshot and the sheer variety made that game for me. After finally knocking that bastard out of the sky I was breathing hard and had a big small on my face. This game was better then OoT, that boss made it so for me.

The last ten hours of the Twilight Princess is one of the best games I have ever played. From Argorok on, every boss battle, every set piece was execellent and did an amazing job of referencing experiences I had earlier in the game and in the series. I'm hoping to make this a kind of a blog feature, just doing some talking time on the most intense boss battles in video games, that I have played. The theme for this one was game changer, the intensity of the battle made me look at the whole of the game differently. It made me love that game. What games have you played that was so intense, such a pleasant heart palpitating situation that it made you change your mind on a game.

TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TGB

The Legend of Zelda for me has always represented the pinnacle in gaming boss battles. Each games bosses build on the experiences and weapons you gain from the playing of the game. Each one is bigger and badder then the last. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is my favorite game in the series, and every boss battle was well made and enjoyable, even if the makers seemed to be obsessed with making evil eye-ball creatures.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was a game that I had to rush through. I was playing a borrowed copy on a borrowed Wii. The game started out a bit too slow for my tastes, too much bumbling around digging up Twilight bugs. I wanted to finish this game, but it was plodding, I actually wasn't having all that much fun because of the time limit I had placed on myself. It took me a good 20 hours before I really felt like it was a great game, before I was having a lot of fun (about when I reached the Snowpeak Ruins) and the charm of the characters and the setting of the game started to sink in. If the game had ended there I would have been happy, but would have still considered Ocarina of Time a better experience. That is until I reached Argorok, the Twilit Dragon in the City of in Sky.

The arena for the boss battle was humongous. You had to use the dual hookshot at least 3-4 times before you were even high enough to take on the massive Dragon. My heart was beating like crazy and my eyes were beaming with anticipation as I hookshoted my way through the sky like fucking Spider Man, slinging from one platform to the next. The music for the battle was belting, epic in its tone and perfectly caught the tenor of the fight, as a thunder storm raged in the background and I was fighting a huge freaking Dragon thousands of feet in the air. Everything about that battle, the magnitude, the awesome use and reinvention of the Hookshot and the sheer variety made that game for me. After finally knocking that bastard out of the sky I was breathing hard and had a big small on my face. This game was better then OoT, that boss made it so for me.

The last ten hours of the Twilight Princess is one of the best games I have ever played. From Argorok on, every boss battle, every set piece was execellent and did an amazing job of referencing experiences I had earlier in the game and in the series. I'm hoping to make this a kind of a blog feature, just doing some talking time on the most intense boss battles in video games, that I have played. The theme for this one was game changer, the intensity of the battle made me look at the whole of the game differently. It made me love that game. What games have you played that was so intense, such a pleasant heart palpitating situation that it made you change your mind on a game.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I'm going with yours. It took me 65 hours to get through Twilight Princess and I loved every minute of it. The only other game that comes close is Shadow of the Colossus every part was a small part of the boss fight.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA
Claude said:
"I'm going with yours. It took me 65 hours to get through Twilight Princess and I loved every minute of it. The only other game that comes close is Shadow of the Colossus every part was a small part of the boss fight."
65 HOURS? Dude, it took me around 20 hours or less.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BoG

You know, I've heard a lot of people love the TP bosses, and most other Zelda bosses, but I've never thought 3D Zelda bosses were really stand outs. TP in particular had boss fights that just bored me. The boss in the "Shadow Temple" esque dungeon was particularly awful. The dragon was ok, Zant was the highlight, though nothing particularly special. 
Personally, I still think that the best boss fights that aren't SotC (it wouldn't be fair to count the game) are in Resident Evil 4. I actually have a save file just before Salazar's left hand for whenever I just want to fight an awesome boss. Every battle in that game was unique, epic,  and brilliant.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Dalai
StarFoxA said:
"Claude said:
"I'm going with yours. It took me 65 hours to get through Twilight Princess and I loved every minute of it. The only other game that comes close is Shadow of the Colossus every part was a small part of the boss fight."
65 HOURS? Dude, it took me around 20 hours or less."
In between for me... 35 hours.

I thought Twilight Princess got off to a slow start, especially the first few hours, but it really picks up the pace after the first few dungeons.

However, I thought the best boss battle was Stallord... just because it was so fun and fast-paced.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude
StarFoxA said:
"Claude said:
65 HOURS? Dude, it took me around 20 hours or less."
I'm slow... I'm sorry. I play my games like a fine wine. I want to taste every part of it.
OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I liked the boss fight in the Arbiter's Grounds better.

TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TGB

Yeah it took me like 45 hours, I always try to complete as many non-tedious side quests as possible before I finish up a game.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael

While the boss fights in the Zelda games certainly are epic(when Morpheel revealed his full body... man, the sheer size of that thing), I think they are way too easy. If they made the bosses a bit challenging, and if they required a strategy beyond "use tool you found in dungeon, hit boss a couple of times, done", I would have enjoyed the fights a lot more.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
BoG said:
"You know, I've heard a lot of people love the TP bosses, and most other Zelda bosses, but I've never thought 3D Zelda bosses were really stand outs. TP in particular had boss fights that just bored me. The boss in the "Shadow Temple" esque dungeon was particularly awful. The dragon was ok, Zant was the highlight, though nothing particularly special. Personally, I still think that the best boss fights that aren't SotC (it wouldn't be fair to count the game) are in Resident Evil 4. I actually have a save file just before Salazar's left hand for whenever I just want to fight an awesome boss. Every battle in that game was unique, epic,  and brilliant."
Zant was the highlight?

He was just a reiteration of the other bosses.
deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deadmonkeys

I never finished the game and I don't feel the need to. 20 hours is plenty :)
I DID finish Windwaker back in the day. The end of the Ganondorf battle was pretty epic. (Spoilarz: You shove your sword into his FOREHEAD)

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

I spent around 25 hours or so with the game before I sold my Wii (I was looking for the Snowpeak mountain, but I couldn't really find it. The boss battles in Twilight Princess are better than any other Zelda game. I just absolutely loathe the dungeons in that game. For every epic moment, there were 10 moments of frustration because of innacurate controls, horribly-thought out puzzles, and just constant backtracking. The mini-bosses weren't very fun, the combat was good (and controlled wonderfully), and the end bosses (especially the Sand Dragon one) were just a ton of fun. 

My favorite Zelda game is Wind Waker by far. The dungeons aren't quite as painful, the bosses are fun (although definitely no standout), the story good (for a Zelda game), and the graphics beautiful. I haven't beaten Wind Waker. I doubt I ever will, but it's still a great game.

Zelda definitely doesn't have the best bosses in the world (that right is reserved to Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid), but they can be very fun sometimes, albeit repetitive.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By End_Boss
Icemael said:
"While the boss fights in the Zelda games certainly are epic(when Morpheel revealed his full body... man, the sheer size of that thing), I think they are way too easy. If they made the bosses a bit challenging, and if they required a strategy beyond "use tool you found in dungeon, hit boss a couple of times, done", I would have enjoyed the fights a lot more."
Unfortunately, Nintendo has always targeted a younger crowd and with the recent addition of "casuals" to that group, don't expect a tough Zelda boss for a good long time.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Icemael
End_Boss said:
"Icemael said:
"While the boss fights in the Zelda games certainly are epic(when Morpheel revealed his full body... man, the sheer size of that thing), I think they are way too easy. If they made the bosses a bit challenging, and if they required a strategy beyond "use tool you found in dungeon, hit boss a couple of times, done", I would have enjoyed the fights a lot more."
Unfortunately, Nintendo has always targeted a younger crowd and with the recent addition of "casuals" to that group, don't expect a tough Zelda boss for a good long time."
I know, but a man can dream, can't he?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By AgentJ

Mmmmm, for most intense boss battles, I'd probably go with Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. That shit was hard, and i always felt like i'd accomplished something when i finally won. For most memorable however, I'd probably choose Metroid Prime. I remember 5 or 6 like they were yesterday. 

Links fight against Ganon in Twilight princess was one of the best Boss battles i've ever participated in, but even that one wasn't as epic as the last battle in Wind Waker. that particular battle as the ocean came down around me is likely my favorite boss battle ever.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ
BoG said:
"You know, I've heard a lot of people love the TP bosses, and most other Zelda bosses, but I've never thought 3D Zelda bosses were really stand outs. TP in particular had boss fights that just bored me. The boss in the "Shadow Temple" esque dungeon was particularly awful. The dragon was ok, Zant was the highlight, though nothing particularly special. Personally, I still think that the best boss fights that aren't SotC (it wouldn't be fair to count the game) are in Resident Evil 4. I actually have a save file just before Salazar's left hand for whenever I just want to fight an awesome boss. Every battle in that game was unique, epic,  and brilliant."
God, i HATED the battle against "salazars left hand" but in a good way. Theres never been a video game enemy that has freaked me out more than him. I mean, players aren't even expected to beat him the first time you play the game through.

Red said:
"I spent around 25 hours or so with the game before I sold my Wii (I was looking for the Snowpeak mountain, but I couldn't really find it. The boss battles in Twilight Princess are better than any other Zelda game. I just absolutely loathe the dungeons in that game. For every epic moment, there were 10 moments of frustration because of innacurate controls, horribly-thought out puzzles, and just constant backtracking. The mini-bosses weren't very fun, the combat was good (and controlled wonderfully), and the end bosses (especially the Sand Dragon one) were just a ton of fun. 

My favorite Zelda game is Wind Waker by far. The dungeons aren't quite as painful, the bosses are fun (although definitely no standout), the story good (for a Zelda game), and the graphics beautiful. I haven't beaten Wind Waker. I doubt I ever will, but it's still a great game.

Zelda definitely doesn't have the best bosses in the world (that right is reserved to Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid), but they can be very fun sometimes, albeit repetitive.
"
Ah, Golden Sun. I had forgotten, but those were some great boss battles.