BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By BertieWooster

Hey duders,

Just got a bunch of stuff off my chest via the list creation tool.

I'm sure we've all got them. Piles of shame, unfinished or unopened games sitting next to our TVs, mocking us.

I just helpfully itemized mine, making me realize that there is literally hundreds of dollars of guilt staring at me from my media shelves.

Also, doing the rough math of how many hours it would take to finish all of these, it's something like 8-10 full-time work-weeks.

Anyone else care to take part in the same exercise/dissect mine and help with a plan of attack?

You can find my (embarrassingly lengthy) list here.

Probably not a groundbreaking topic, I know, but cathartic.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By tebbit

Steam has ruined my ability to say that I legitimately have a pile of shame. Now I just have a hard-drive of shame. The shame of purchasing a game when it's on sale, almost exclusively because "it's like I'm losing money by not buying it".

So while I refuse to partake in listing my failures, let it be known that I will probably never finish Zeno Clash.

OH, and I'm half-way through Metroid Prime: Echoes. That game is scary. Buying that trilogy is like a pile of shame all on its own.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By McBEEF

So true- Still need to finish borderlands, the chronicles of riddick and GTA 4 but i cant be assed with downloading them again.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Cirdain

Saboteur is mine...

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zeforgotten

Not enough games to fill a wall, maybe put a game in the corner of the wall.

Didn't finish Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations back in the day

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By probablytuna

Apart from the dozens of games I have well over 50 Blu-Ray movies to watch. Yay for holidays.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

You should give RE4 a play. It's easily one of the best games you have on your list. I won't say it is the best, because of aging issues, but that aside it is one of the best games on the history of videogames.

BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BertieWooster

Oh God, Steam. Luckily we've only got Macs in the house (and only a Mini and a 5 year old Macbook at that), so my Steam capabilities are limited, but I still forgot about a few from there (did remember the Telltale games though, as that was where those were cheapest).

Now I've gotta go back and add Machinarium, And Yet It Moves and Torchlight (easily the biggest shame on there, which I've visited the first town and that's it).

Also, definitely feeling a little more guilty seeing these responses with single games in their shame pile. Kudos to all of you more strong than I in your resolve to actually get shit done.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

MASS EFFECT 2?! DAAAAMMMMNNN Overlord is amazing I really liked it and Kasumi is on of my favourite squadmates so super powerful and got me through insanity with ease!

I'm the same with LA, Dead Space, Bulletstorm, Starcraft, Alan Wake and Touchlight and I REALLY want to play them so I can't talk haha!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Hizang

I have unplayed copies of Madworld, Wii Play, Luigi's Mansion, Brutal Legend and Call ofDuty World at War. This Friday I also picked up inFamous 2, Duke Nukem Forever and No More Heroes: Paradise. I was also before all of this in the middle of L.A. Noire, I have a LOT to do.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates

Working on my own riiiiiiight now...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463
abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By abdo

My advice is: just play them one at a time. Start with the first one, and just play that until you finish it, simple enough. I know this sounds pretty obvious, but you just need to sit down and choose one that you're going to finish. Then move on to the next one.

In the meantime, try not buying any more new games, since that's pointless right now. You can always get them later, they're not going anywhere.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Devoid

I've got three stacks of PS3 games on my desk: for games I need to finish, for games I still have a reason to play, and for games I'll probably not play.

There's about 15 games in those first two stacks.. (And that's not mentioning my games for PS2, PSP, DS, AND a bunch of Steam games)

BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BertieWooster

@abdo: Oh don't worry, I'm on my second consecutive summer of a game-buying embargo until I finish (arbitrarily pulling a number out of the air) 15 of these.

Last summer the embargo was only 5 games (Finished in the 2010 backlog: Brutal Legend, Just Cause 2, Super Mario Galaxy, The Saboteur and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time). And then I spent most of the last year buying 2/3 of the game on this list.

BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BertieWooster

@Devoid: For sanity's sake, I didn't even think about the pile of (mostly maybe not entirely legally obtained - read: torrents) DS games. Well, metaphorical pile. As much as things can be piled on an SD card.

And the less said about the page (with folders) of games on my iPhone that I've never touched, the better.

Man, I am a black hole.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShockD

@BertieWooster - if you're ashamed of StarCraft 2, you can always send it to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have a ton of games I've yet to play yet, but I refuse to allow myself to start something without finishing it. I used to do that all the time, but a few years ago I finally told myself I needed to stop being such a loser and play things to completion. Gaming is an expensive hobby! My new problem in the last couple years has become, since I now spend more time on average playing through a game than I did in years past, I also start fewer games than before, meaning that instead of half-assing a ton of games, I now finish almost every game I play, but I've accrued a huge back-log of games I really really want to play, but haven't been able to get around to yet. A ton of them.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I have too much time and not enough money to have a pile of shame.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates

And...here's the main list! Amazing how it rounds out at 100, really. I mean, XBLA, iPhone, and retro consoles would probably upset that more, but the list is long enough as is, right?

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By umdesch4

Much more shameful, IMHO, is the games I've half-played, but didn't finish, and now if I go back, I won't even remember how to play, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend all those hours replaying from the start.

My own personal worst (from recent memory) is Super Mario Galaxy 2. I've got one level to do (the Perfect Run, of course), but I got annoyed with it, and put it down after that, so if I go back, I'm even less likely to be able to do it now. :P

BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BertieWooster

Movement!

The first game has been conquered!

LA Noire, wherein I was literally 80% done the final case, has been cracked.

Phenomenal, wrenching, thought-provoking ending. Possibly unlike anything I've ever seen in a video game.

BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BertieWooster

@umdesch4: Dude, tell me about it. There are at least a good 8-10 on that list where I'm afraid of exactly the same thing.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Vexxan

Assassins's Creed 1, still un-opened on the shelf :/

BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BertieWooster

Spent the rest of the afternoon with Darksiders. Forgot how much I really enjoyed that game. Probably 60% done now, hopefully it becomes #2 struck from the pile sooner than later.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By crusader8463

I was about 95% through Persona 3 FES when my PS3 YLOD on me. When hell freezes over and I can find the $200 to send it in to get fixed I will back at 0% done since they are going to delete all my save data. That outta teach me to try and play games! 

So in the mean time I have decided to pop onto some of my Steam backlog since I got my new graphics card and have been playing the GTA IV DLC. Been a god dam nightmare fighting with GFWL to get Lost and the Damned to actually play, but when I do it's pretty good. I guess one of these days I will have to dust off the box my 360 is sitting in and play some of my 360 backlog too. Who am I kidding. That's just crazy talk.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green

a lot of great games there.  it's time to find time to beat all of those great games. i should also work on my pile.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShaggE

Nada. My broke ass has PUH-LENTY of time to finish each new game I get. :P

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ajamafalous

@Tebbit said:

Steam has ruined my ability to say that I legitimately have a pile of shame. Now I just have a hard-drive of shame. The shame of purchasing a game when it's on sale, almost exclusively because "it's like I'm losing money by not buying it".

This.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been there. It's so hard to complete games with so many out there and the routines I have to spend the majority of my time on sports games these days.

I've finally just jumped the trend and decided to sell a majority of these games that I claimed I'd "finish someday." With my life changing each and every year it's hard to keep that focus. I recommend a lot of people in the same boat as me to take that step forward and resell the games you think you'll never get around to while you can still make a hot buck off of them.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#32  Edited By Brackynews

Me? So many................

But realizing that the last Zelda game I completed was N64 Ocarina probably cuts the deepest.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Sooperspy

Here is my list. It isn't too long, and most are downloadable games that get overlooked by bigger, better retail games.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Rekt_Hed

Damn dude......Dead Space 2!, Mass Effect 2!, Borderlands!, Bioshock2!, Alan Wake!, Little Big Planet 2!

Just what are you doing with your free time if your not finishing these!? I mean there is hardly any games coming out right now as it is. Ive been managing to ultilise this time over the last couple of months to polish off games ive started and to start and finish other titles ive had less interest in but once started had a ton of fun with (Bullet storm and Red Faction Guerilla)

If I hadnt completed just dead space 2 or Mass Effect 2 alone that would have to be causing me some serious issues. Youve got a hell of a lot of bad gaming karma dude. You should really go and see you xbox/ PS3 and correct that before you get in the last quarter of this year or you are going to be FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkkked :)

Best thing I can suggest is just get a stack of say 2-3 titles that vary in genre and just keep them next to your consoles. That way if your just spending 1-3 hrs playing it and u find ur self wanting to change the pace some youve got another great title just sitting there waiting for you to get stuck right into. I normally like to keep a fighting game, racing game & shooter within easy reach at all times. Then if need a mini game theres tons of PSN and Arcade games just waiting to eat up some nuggets of time before returning to the epic tails of the full retail products.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Rekt_Hed

@Vegsen said:

Assassins's Creed 1, still un-opened on the shelf :/

Im pretty sure thats one of the few games its ok not to play. That game can be summed up in about 20 mins of youtube vids.

Unless your looking to score some achievements with it further down the line id just sell it or give it away.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a half finished save of Enslaved, I really like that game. I'm going to go finish it now…

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By SSValis

Darksiders
I have nothing else to play but that game is not for me.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Red

Hey, I think I made a list like this a couple years ago. I just edited it, and hey, I haven't beaten any of the games I said I would! 

Games I Need to beat.

I don't finish too many games, even the ones I really, really like. These are the games that I actually really like, but haven't gotten around to finishing yet. Notice how the vast majority of these games are JRPGs? 

Man, making this list has really stressed me out...

1. Ōkami

I wanna say I got halfway through. It's a beautiful, beautiful game that has the exciting bosses and puzzles of the Zelda series without as much boredom and backtracking in dungeons.

2. Chrono Trigger

Got to the last dungeon in this, the part where you have to do a bunch of sidequests and just stopped playing. I don't know why, though. I adore the game, it's beautiful, has great combat, music, and characters.

3. Half-Life 2

I actually have a good excuse for this one. I got to the final chapter on my computer, but then it honestly stopped working on my comp. I picked up the Orange Box for mah Xbox though, and played quite a bit through already. Regardless, I can pretty safely say that this is the best shooter I've ever played.

4. Final Fantasy VII

I got about 20 hours into this--right before a certain someone has something bad happen to them--and stopped for some reason. I actually really liked what I played of it, but the aspect of another 60 hours of it doesn't seem too appealing.

5. Final Fantasy IX

Similar story to FF7, except I only think I got about 10 hours into it. Love the characters, and combat, and I do recall some pretty amazing cutscenes, but there are just better ways for me to spend my time.

6. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride

Got around a dozen hours into this one, and sidequested to get all the best gear I could for my party. In the process I forgot what I had to do, where I was going, and what I was supposed to do there. I will say, though, that choosing which bride to have is the hardest choice I've had to make in a video game. No joke.

7. Final Fantasy VI

This is my favorite Final Fantasy game of the ones I've played--all except 8, 10, and the MMOs--yet I'm stuck at the last dungeon. I know I have to grind in order to beat it, but I don't find the combat in this game especially enjoyable. It has some great bosses and abilities, but the random encounters are all too long, and the aspect of having to level up characters like Relm and Strago is very unappealing to me. Regardless, an amazing game with some incredible moments, music, and characters.

BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BertieWooster

@Rekt_Hed: Totally aware of the karma thing. The only correction I'd make is that of the six you cited, I am technically finished the main game of half of them (Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands), but they're on the list for DLC's (purchased but not played) sake.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Speaking as a frugal videogame fan and non-collector I must say that if I never buy a game from now on, I still have enough videogames to last me my entire adult life if said games took the time leftover from adult responsibilities and a healthy social life.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By Yanngc33

I bought Xmen 3 for the achievements....

BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BertieWooster

This is becoming a sort of Overeaters Anonymous meeting, and I kinda dig it.

Let it all out everyone. It's going to be OK.

gafasibm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gafasibm
@BertieWooster said:

Hey duders,

I'm sure we've all got them. Piles of shame, unfinished or unopened games sitting next to our TVs, mocking us.

I just helpfully itemized mine, making me realize that there is literally hundreds of dollars of guilt staring at me from my media shelves.

Also, doing the rough math of how many hours it would take to finish all of these, it's something like 8-10 full-time work-weeks.

Anyone else care to take part in the same exercise/dissect mine and help with a plan of attack?

no one gives a rats ass about your crap. learn.
BertieWooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BertieWooster

@gafasibm said:

@BertieWooster said:

Hey duders,

no one gives a rats ass about your crap. learn.

Constructive conversation what what!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Red
@gafasibm: Actually, this thread has inspired me to finish Chrono Trigger, which I did this afternoon, so effective thread!