Obvious Post of the Day: Don't Expect Gaming Bombshells at CES

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
Expect to hear a bit more about these dudes once CES begins.
Looks like TechCrunch's new policy of not signing up for embargos and press-only pre-briefs is serving them well, as the site has a bit of detail on what we can expect to hear out of Microsoft's Steve Ballmer during the company's keynote address to help kick off the Consumer Electronics Show on Wednesday night. According to the site, the only real gaming mention will come in a brief note that two Halo games will be released in 2009. Those two would be Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST. So, yeah. We knew that.

Of course, no one can really fault Microsoft if the company doesn't bring anything surprising and new for the Xbox 360 to CES. It's not a gaming-focused show, and most of the tech press that would be there would be just as impressed by the old ODST trailer as they would by something brand-new, because they don't follow gaming close enough to care. The show's got a long history of half-hearted showings of games that were shown months ago to the games press.

There will be a few new things coming out of the show, though. We heard that Capcom will be on hand to debut a bit of new Dark Void stuff, and we understand that Sony Online Entertainment will be showing an updated demo of DC Universe Online. Those two things are probably the most compelling things I've seen so far, as both of those games look like they could be great. The PlayStation 3 will undoubtedly have some presence at the show, as well, and Sony's Jeff Rubenstein has posted that he'll be at the show doing something game-related. I'm just guessing here, but there may be some updated versions of games shown at E3 there. However, it's almost as likely that they'll just have some stuff that's already out running in a corner of the Sony booth, or a loop of the Uncharted 2 trailer or something like that. Like I said, it's not really much of a show for games, so there's rarely a real push for publishers to bring brand-new stuff to show. For attendees who don't play games at all, a kiosk running Resistance 2 is just as impressive as a kiosk running Killzone 2.

Expect those updates to start hitting around the Internet over the course of the week. We'll be watching from a safe distance, as well, as there's a guy in Vegas who wants to break Vinny's legs over a debt he racked up last time we were out there. The juice is running, Caravella!
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
Looks like TechCrunch's new policy of not signing up for embargos and press-only pre-briefs is serving them well, as the site has a bit of detail on what we can expect to hear out of Microsoft's Steve Ballmer during the company's keynote address to help kick off the Consumer Electronics Show on Wednesday night. According to the site, the only real gaming mention will come in a brief note that two Halo games will be released in 2009. Those two would be Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST. So, yeah. We knew that.

Of course, no one can really fault Microsoft if the company doesn't bring anything surprising and new for the Xbox 360 to CES. It's not a gaming-focused show, and most of the tech press that would be there would be just as impressed by the old ODST trailer as they would by something brand-new, because they don't follow gaming close enough to care. The show's got a long history of half-hearted showings of games that were shown months ago to the games press.

There will be a few new things coming out of the show, though. We heard that Capcom will be on hand to debut a bit of new Dark Void stuff, and we understand that Sony Online Entertainment will be showing an updated demo of DC Universe Online. Those two things are probably the most compelling things I've seen so far, as both of those games look like they could be great. The PlayStation 3 will undoubtedly have some presence at the show, as well, and Sony's Jeff Rubenstein has posted that he'll be at the show doing something game-related. I'm just guessing here, but there may be some updated versions of games shown at E3 there. However, it's almost as likely that they'll just have some stuff that's already out running in a corner of the Sony booth, or a loop of the Uncharted 2 trailer or something like that. Like I said, it's not really much of a show for games, so there's rarely a real push for publishers to bring brand-new stuff to show. For attendees who don't play games at all, a kiosk running Resistance 2 is just as impressive as a kiosk running Killzone 2.

Expect those updates to start hitting around the Internet over the course of the week. We'll be watching from a safe distance, as well, as there's a guy in Vegas who wants to break Vinny's legs over a debt he racked up last time we were out there. The juice is running, Caravella!
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Hadnt even haerd of CES before this ! lol

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Hamz

I wouldn't mind seeing more on the DC Universe Online MMO. Because god knows I feel the urge to play a new MMO.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Kazona

If TechCrunch's new policy of not signing up for embargos is working out so well, then maybe more sites should start doing it.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Will1Lucky

Meh the only thing Microsoft will be showing attention to is Windows 7.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Gameboi

Since the Internet exploded, few things truly surprise us these days anyway.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TheGamerGeek

" there's a guy in Vegas who wants to break Vinny's legs over a debt he racked up last time we were out there" that's not good for those babies he gave me...O_O...I kid, I kid.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm looking forward to the new tech that will make games allow for more immersion. Stuff like head-tracking, 3d glasses, tactile transducers, etc. are what CES is all about. Who needs more games to drool over this damn early in the year?

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By PLWolf

I'm hoping for the bigger stuff to come from GDC. That's my hope since it will be here in SF, unless things have changed in the last 11 months.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Hopefully a Recon trailer or gameplay video?  I'd be fine with that.  
And I wouldn't be suprised if there was a demo of halo wars on the xblm

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Death_Burnout

Haha, Can Vinnyrun away like he did in the "Your in the Movies" video? and could you film it!?

It could be worse, people could expect big things from GDC, which they often do...*sigh*

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#12  Edited By citizenkane

I'll still be watching the coverage of the CES.  I am a geek, after all.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By bwooduhs

the only thing that interests me about CES is the Windows 7 beta.

harrydemeanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By harrydemeanor
Will1Lucky said:
"Meh the only thing Microsoft will be showing attention to is Windows 7."
Which is best thing to do right now considering it's coming out this year (or so I hear.

I'll be watching the coverage too anyway. Being a geek myself, there has to be at least something noteworthy coming out of there. Perhaps even larger HDTVs!
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb

I heard Prototype may be featured at CES and that's enough of a bombshell for me! Please say you guys are covering this! :O

P.S.: www.prototypegame.com has a countdown on the homepage. I wonder what that could be for....

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By freezerr

Isn't it awfully early for another version of Windows?

Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wright

good thing vinny has legs of steel

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#18  Edited By Brackynews

@freezerr: Isn't it awfully early for another rebrand of Windows?

Fixed that for ya.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh well, Macworld tomorrow and that will be enough for me!

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo7676

DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!, DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21  Edited By damnboyadvance

Well then, it's a good thing I'm not going. I'm just going to watch it from home.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WEGGLES

Balmer is one charismatic dude.

momentarylogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By momentarylogic

You MUST film Vinny's legs getting broken, and somehow tie in a video game review of something. Internet gold.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Media_Master

aahh...Uncharted and Killzone 2, what happened to creative sequel names?!!!