Soo..... Molyneux created a young boy simulator?

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Supermarius

Um. So whos the intended market for this. Really lonely people? Ugh imagine the immersive and depressing possibilities for dating games.  How isolated are individual members of the human race that we need a creepily realistic friend simulator. Do you think think this would be weirder/the same if it was a girl character?

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CowMuffins

This isn't going to be a game...it's just a tech demo.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By angelkanarias

haven't heard of it, link would be appriciated.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Player1
CowMuffins said:
This isn't going to be a game...it's just a tech demo.
Right. Could also be called a science experiment. 

This could be a big step for gaming. Could make the industry look a lot more professional. 
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Cerza

It's the new R.O.B.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By super_machine

As a tech demo, I doubt this will ever come to market. But as a technology, I can see this being a huge part of interactive in-game cut scenes. I wouldnt want to play an entire action or RPG doing gestures, but I could see this being awesome at certain points in a game.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By RsistncE

I don't trust Molyneaux worth shit. I can guarantee this isn't as advanced as he's making it out to be because there is no way in hell a video game developer made advanced AI before scientists.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By trophyhunter

I just want to so what repose you get when you shout swear words at it

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RsistncE
@trophyhunter: I'm gonna show it my weiner.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike

Who cares about Milo, I want the developers of RapeLay to get their hands on this technology.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FlipperDesert

There should be a Peter Molyneux simulator, where you give him a dog and he has to explain the storytelling mechanics of it on the fly to a conference hall full of people.

I post about the dog too much.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Player1
@super_machine said:
" As a tech demo, I doubt this will ever come to market. But as a technology, I can see this being a huge part of interactive in-game cut scenes. I wouldnt want to play an entire action or RPG doing gestures, but I could see this being awesome at certain points in a game. "
I never thought of that. The possibilities with cutscenes are endless. GREAT point. 
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

Funny, even NASA can't manage the kind of AI Lionhead are insinuating here.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Cerza
@MB said:
" Who cares about Milo, I want the developers of RapeLay to get their hands on this technology. "
So wrong... But you know it will happen eventually... In Japan, ONLY in Japan...

@FlipperDesert said:
" There should be a Peter Molyneux simulator, where you give him a dog and he has to explain the storytelling mechanics of it on the fly to a conference hall full of people.I post about the dog too much. "
LMAO
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It's a tech demo...
But that is kind of funny when  you say it like that, considering you know...peter m is kind of....

Lustreplush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lustreplush

Everything about it except for the ripple effects was pure video, with Claire acting on cues.  The fish didn't even react.

And my EyeToy has been doing ripple effects for years now.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mikemcn

Creepy...... now he'll start a company called Cyberdyne, program his AI into the military's computer network and.... oh wait

But I can see him getting passionate about this

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

RapeLay?  What?

Either way, while the technology may be pretty damn amazing...the issue is that human beings are destructive by nature.  Milo is safe in the hands of a controlled demo with Claire, but in homes, he'd be beaten, tortured, chopped up, mangled, and told he was a fuckstain in his mom's undies.  I don't LIKE to think that's true...but I'm not naive.

This technology would have to be set on a certain pathway, very linear, in order for it to not be abused.  Can someone be arrested for what are essentially virtual crimes?  With technology like this, it's only a step away, right?
SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

.....I am not staying up with the E3 news (I am at work, and I want to watch the G4 coverage tonight when I get home), but this thread title made me laugh hysterically!  Why?  Because I can see Molyneux doing this and then saying "This will be the best game ever."

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I want someone to make him realize he isn't real.

Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Happy
@get2sammyb said:
" Funny, even NASA can't manage the kind of AI Lionhead are insinuating here. "
That was my first thought as well. I don't understand what they are trying to pull here.
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Lustreplush: That's exactly what I saw too.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#24  Edited By JackiJinx
@CowMuffins: You never know.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By EpicSteve

I know it was a staged tech demo, but it was still impressive.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This was obviously scripted. But Peter probably thinks its the best thing ever, and will (once again) make promises that will be under delivered to the surprise of no one but himself. I think I would have preferred another Black and White or Dungeon Keeper.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikemcn
@jakob187 said:
"RapeLay?  What?

Either way, while the technology may be pretty damn amazing...the issue is that human beings are destructive by nature.  Milo is safe in the hands of a controlled demo with Claire, but in homes, he'd be beaten, tortured, chopped up, mangled, and told he was a fuckstain in his mom's undies.  I don't LIKE to think that's true...but I'm not naive.

This technology would have to be set on a certain pathway, very linear, in order for it to not be abused.  Can someone be arrested for what are essentially virtual crimes?  With technology like this, it's only a step away, right?
"
Dude, cyber child abuse, that just aint right. Change him to some big tough guy named Toro, then when people abuse him, he hits back.

Thats a good point though, i would not want to see that
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@jakob187: Just wait till he introduces Mila, Milo's sister.

Rapelay? what?
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tmthomsen

The audio was obviously pre-recorded, but the rest was running dynamicly as far as I can tell.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Um tech demo? Science experiment? maybe a lil paper to other developers on look what i did and how i did it now lets see what you can do?
IT really doesn't matter what Peter created is amazing on a home system hes created a person simulation with advanced AI it can responde to you in a realistic way.....thats amazing and on a home video game system...

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#31  Edited By AgentJ

The program was scripted just because there probably aren't enough responses created for Milo yet. I'm kind of peeved that it's only going to be demoed behind closed doors, because while it wouldn't work nearly as well with a random person, I want to see just how deep it is.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By oraknabo

Seaman 3

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By freakin

FINALLY I WILL HAVE A FRIEND!!!!!

Xenos_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Xenos_19

Its just a tech demo but I'm very exited to see this technology in games for the future, we are getting one step closer to the holodeck! ^w^

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to have my first AI girlfriend.
That's better than having a blue alien girlfriend.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By crusader8463
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37  Edited By natetodamax

It's probably just a tech demo. I think something that would be really cool is if they integrated it into cutscenes, as other people stated. You could be sitting there watching it and your teammates would look at you and ask for your opinion, with which you could give yours and they would react accordingly.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
@natetodamax: I think integrating this technology into cutscenes would absolutely be the best option, but again...it's something that you would have to keep on a linear pathway.  If not, it's like I said before:  humans are destructive and foul creatures by nature.  It's our upbringing and morality that allows us to not be monsters (but if you look at it in a poetic sense, we're all monsters, but whatever).

While the technology sounds great and it shows our ability to create something life-LIKE, it does not mean that people will use it for its proper intended purpose.  It's a breeding ground for morally wrong possibilities that could easily translate into the real world.

To be honest, Milo might be the thing that drives "video gaming influences kids to do bad shit in real life" arguments to the point of necessary legislation.  =  /
killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By killdave

i cant help but think that Microsoft wouldnt make it there "top thing" at E3 if there wasnt something "real" about it

also steve spielberg is excited by it too .

maybe it is real - oh man if it was ... fuck ... amazing

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40  Edited By natetodamax
@jakob187 said:
" @natetodamax: I think integrating this technology into cutscenes would absolutely be the best option, but again...it's something that you would have to keep on a linear pathway.  If not, it's like I said before:  humans are destructive and foul creatures by nature.  It's our upbringing and morality that allows us to not be monsters (but if you look at it in a poetic sense, we're all monsters, but whatever).

While the technology sounds great and it shows our ability to create something life-LIKE, it does not mean that people will use it for its proper intended purpose.  It's a breeding ground for morally wrong possibilities that could easily translate into the real world.

To be honest, Milo might be the thing that drives "video gaming influences kids to do bad shit in real life" arguments to the point of necessary legislation.  =  /
"
That's true. I was really curious to see how Milo would respond to a long strand of insults and vulgar behavior.
Lustreplush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lustreplush
@TMThomsen: I still think the trickery lies in the scripting of the actress who played Claire.  It seemed like it was running dynamically only because of how we as the audience perceived her "dialogue."  If you remove Molyneux's commentary and just listen to Milo's speech and Claire's speech as two different things, they don't really match up at all.

I'd love to see someone set up a spoof of this by recording themselves doing the Milo part, playing it on a TV, and then speaking to it as the Claire part.  If you need the ripple effect part, have the video feed switch inputs to a PS3 running Aquatopia and then back again.  If I had a video camera, I'd totally do it.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PercyChuggs

How is this any different than having The Sims 3 act as a "life simulator"?

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Xeiphyer

So its important to remember that it was PETER MOLYNEUX! Hes the king of bullshit over-exaggeration. But it is still a very interesting thing, when she handed the page to spooky kid, that was pretty interesting =P I wonder if there was anything on the page he was holding? That would be really cool! Considering he said he has only had the tech in house for a few months, i really doubt its as sophisticated as they made it look, if it was really as great as it appeared, then they probably would have done a live demo of it.
 Also, Milo used the girls name, the ability to speak words that arent preprogrammed is a really expensive and difficult technology currently, and I doubt they could have developed all that already. I like the idea a lot, but I will not be fooled by molyneux ever again, not after fable 2! Damn him to hell!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KaosAngel

MS has AI far better than the governments of our world. 

Peter Molyneux would never lie to gamers. 

I believe.

No Caption Provided

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Feanor

Man how much longer before that Rubber Ducky game comes out for PS3?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KaosAngel
@Feanor said:
" Man how much longer before that Rubber Ducky game comes out for PS3? "
It's been out for over a year....
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By clubsandwich
@MB said:
" Who cares about Milo, I want the developers of RapeLay to get their hands on this technology. "
that really turned me on. :3mmmmmmmMmmMmMMmmmMMmmMMmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmmmmmMMmm

xD