I've been wondering what the new South Park game was going to be about ever since Microsoft announced the foul-mouthed little snots were coming to Xbox Live Arcade back at E3 2008. I only wondered that because, somehow, I completely missed the game's full title before I got to play it at PAX over the weekend. The title in its entirety is "South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!" so it probably won't surprise you that this is, in fact, a tower defense game.
Here's a short list of factoids I can remember from a few minutes with the game.
- The four primary kids are available as playable characters at first, though you can unlock a bunch of other characters like Butters, Token, and Timmy.
- The game has an action-oriented twist similar to PixelJunk Monsters: You control your character directly and build structures like laser turrets wherever you stand. You also attack enemies directly by throwing snowballs at them, and you can charge your throws for more attack power. (Fully charged snowballs are yellow, naturally.)
- Every character has a special attack or ability. For example, Kenny has a welfare attack that makes enemies bleed extra money when they die.
- The endlessly shuffling waves of enemies will include hippies, gnomes, ginger kids, terrorists, and crab people. (Craaaab peo-ple, craaaab peo-ple.)
- There's a bunch of new voiceover from Trey Parker and Matt Stone recorded specifically for the game. No new animation, but you can unlock clips from the series. The story is told with static panels, like a graphic novel.
South Park is hitting XBLA on October 7, the same day new episodes of the series start back up on Comedy Central. I'm not exactly dying for a new tower defense game at the moment, but I do still love South Park's absurd, crass brand of humor, so I may have to check this one out regardless. Yourself?