• 75 results
Posted by Brad (3334 posts) -

Apparently Scott Tenorman isn't the only one who must die. 
I've been wondering what the new South Park game was going to be about ever since Microsoft announced the foul-mouthed little snots were coming to Xbox Live Arcade back at E3 2008. I only wondered that because, somehow, I completely missed the game's full title before I got to play it at PAX over the weekend. The title in its entirety is "South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!" so it probably won't surprise you that this is, in fact, a tower defense game.

Here's a short list of factoids I can remember from a few minutes with the game.

• The four primary kids are available as playable characters at first, though you can unlock a bunch of other characters like Butters, Token, and Timmy.
  • The game has an action-oriented twist similar to PixelJunk Monsters: You control your character directly and build structures like laser turrets wherever you stand. You also attack enemies directly by throwing snowballs at them, and you can charge your throws for more attack power. (Fully charged snowballs are yellow, naturally.)
  • Every character has a special attack or ability. For example, Kenny has a welfare attack that makes enemies bleed extra money when they die.
  • The endlessly shuffling waves of enemies will include hippies, gnomes, ginger kids, terrorists, and crab people. (Craaaab peo-ple, craaaab peo-ple.)
  • There's a bunch of new voiceover from Trey Parker and Matt Stone recorded specifically for the game. No new animation, but you can unlock clips from the series. The story is told with static panels, like a graphic novel.

South Park is hitting XBLA on October 7, the same day new episodes of the series start back up on Comedy Central. I'm not exactly dying for a new tower defense game at the moment, but I do still love South Park's absurd, crass brand of humor, so I may have to check this one out regardless. Yourself?    
#1 Posted by Brad (3334 posts) -

Apparently Scott Tenorman isn't the only one who must die. 
I've been wondering what the new South Park game was going to be about ever since Microsoft announced the foul-mouthed little snots were coming to Xbox Live Arcade back at E3 2008. I only wondered that because, somehow, I completely missed the game's full title before I got to play it at PAX over the weekend. The title in its entirety is "South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!" so it probably won't surprise you that this is, in fact, a tower defense game.

Here's a short list of factoids I can remember from a few minutes with the game.

• The four primary kids are available as playable characters at first, though you can unlock a bunch of other characters like Butters, Token, and Timmy.
  • The game has an action-oriented twist similar to PixelJunk Monsters: You control your character directly and build structures like laser turrets wherever you stand. You also attack enemies directly by throwing snowballs at them, and you can charge your throws for more attack power. (Fully charged snowballs are yellow, naturally.)
  • Every character has a special attack or ability. For example, Kenny has a welfare attack that makes enemies bleed extra money when they die.
  • The endlessly shuffling waves of enemies will include hippies, gnomes, ginger kids, terrorists, and crab people. (Craaaab peo-ple, craaaab peo-ple.)
  • There's a bunch of new voiceover from Trey Parker and Matt Stone recorded specifically for the game. No new animation, but you can unlock clips from the series. The story is told with static panels, like a graphic novel.

South Park is hitting XBLA on October 7, the same day new episodes of the series start back up on Comedy Central. I'm not exactly dying for a new tower defense game at the moment, but I do still love South Park's absurd, crass brand of humor, so I may have to check this one out regardless. Yourself?    
#2 Posted by artofwar420 (6311 posts) -

It has been a while since we had a South Park game, at least I haven't played one since the N64 one... can't remember whether that was a terrible game or not.

#3 Posted by The_Philosopher (570 posts) -

I enjoy me some South Park, so hopefully this is good. 
#4 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -

Another tower defense game? Well I do love South Park and haven't played a South Park game since the FPS (I think it's categorized as that) on the N64. I'll try this out then.

#5 Posted by sixthnewkid (4 posts) -

This is a Auto-Buy, unless reviews are like below 5. 

#6 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I just bought a tower defense game today. You guys should try "Defense Grid," it came out a couple days ago.

#7 Posted by almeida (70 posts) -

i'll try the demo for sure.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

I'll try the demo first before I think about buying it.  It looks fun though.

#9 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@artofwar420 said:
" It has been a while since we had a South Park game, at least I haven't played one since the N64 one... can't remember whether that was a terrible game or not. "
I think it came out before Goldeneye so people were alright with it.  Goddamn, that game was based on like the first season of Southpark. I feel so old. Can't believe the show's still on.
#10 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2500 posts) -

Aw hell yes

#11 Posted by Vance_Helsing (215 posts) -

I'm interested, I took a look (and a poster, natch) at Comic-Con and it seems alright. It needs something to stand out from the pack of Tower Defense games out there, and hopefully foul language and "action gameplay" is just the ticket. Then again, I've skipped out on all the TD games as of recent, like Plants vs. Zombies, Ninjatown, Defense Grid, etc because Pixeljunk is plenty for me.

#12 Posted by MeatSim (10939 posts) -

This is worth at least checking out once.

#13 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -

Tower Defense? eh, not sold yet

#14 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I shall seek the demo, it looks sweet but I wont let it's looks tug on my heart strings. I've done too much tower defending in my life...

#15 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

i'll probably get it 
#16 Posted by max3000 (371 posts) -

No Jew-Bot enemies? Well, I guess it's too politically incorrect to put that in an XBL game. Would be hilarious if it had them and the controversy it would have ensued.

#17 Posted by HT101 (1178 posts) -

I'll try out the demo before I decide to buy it or not.

#18 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I'm more interested in the new episodes but this looks ok.

#19 Posted by _Horde (839 posts) -

Must get.

#20 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1867 posts) -

I'm a sucker for tower defense games, this'll find its way onto my 360.

#21 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

Every character has a special attack or ability. For example, Kenny has a welfare attack that makes enemies bleed extra money when they die.  

i lold 

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Given that roughly 12,346,923 tower defense games have been released in the last three years across every platform available, I really don't feel excited for this one at all, even with its license.  The genre just feels like it's gone beyond the saturation point.

#23 Posted by Shindiggah (350 posts) -

I love south park but hate tower defense..hmm, decisions decisions.
#24 Posted by FLStyle (4918 posts) -

No PSN? :( Oh well, good luck

#25 Posted by Kazona (3096 posts) -

I have yet to see a game that will get me interested in the tower defense genre, and despite it being South Park, I'm still nowhere near interested.

#26 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

I love South Park.  I will probably end up buying this game.

#27 Posted by zkilla (139 posts) -

Pixel Junk South Park looks awesome
#28 Posted by Grilledcheez (3957 posts) -

Goty 2009 confirmed

#29 Posted by mattysen (822 posts) -

OH NOEZ! 

#30 Posted by Blood_for_the_blood_God (300 posts) -
@artofwar420: I however, remember quite clearly. It was terrible. The racer and the FPS were both very bad
#31 Posted by Cod3r (21 posts) -

This is a must buy. Love the show, and I can't wait for the game.

#32 Posted by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -

love the title.

#33 Posted by AnEternalEnigma (285 posts) -

South Park turned 12 years old back in August. I was only 13 when that show started. I feel spectacularly old now.

#34 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

I love me some Southpark.

#35 Posted by C0V3RT (1380 posts) -

Definately a "maybe".
#36 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Sounds incredibly lame. Wish they'd learn that videogames of cartoon IPs are best served in Graphic Adventure form.

#37 Posted by mnzy (2925 posts) -

While we are at tower defense: should I buy Defense Grid? :>

#38 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I'll get this. The only tower defence game I've played for more than a very short period of time is Ninjatown for the DS, and I really liked that game. I'm also a massive South Park nerd and so really appreciate all the little touches that look like they'll be in the game. So gameplay looks solid, extra stuff looks awesome, on XBLA, sounds like a good package to me.

#39 Posted by Crono (2707 posts) -

Sounds lame despite the licensing.

#40 Posted by ahriman22 (2746 posts) -

I love South Park, I might get this.

#41 Posted by TiggNine (66 posts) -
@Shindiggah said:
"I love south park but hate tower defense..hmm, decisions decisions. "

i feel the exact same way!!!!! so i'll prolly end up getting this in the end!! and just in time for me to move into my new house and new HDtv that goes with that!!!
#42 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

South Park is awesome. Tower defense games are awesome. They better not screw this up.

#43 Posted by agentboolen (1844 posts) -

I don't know the picture of the game looks like crap.  

I also wont forgive them for any of those horrible N64 games if this comes out half way decent!!!

#44 Edited by TomA (2531 posts) -

South Park is amazing, i want to plat this! Just saw the "24" episode yesterday, that show is so original and flat out hilarious.

#45 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I love South Park, but I hate Tower Defence games. So I'm gonna pass on this one...

#46 Posted by raikoh05 (421 posts) -

I like south park, but its got the words tower defence right in it. which means I automatically hate it.

#47 Posted by Parsnip (1116 posts) -

I didn't know South Park is still somehow relevant these days. Kind of zoned out of it after two seasons.

#48 Posted by animateria (3265 posts) -

I'll enjoy watching the new South Park...

A South Park tower defense game?

Not so much.

#49 Posted by Chewii101 (822 posts) -

Has there ever been a decent game that used the South Park license? 

#50 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -
@Chewii101 said:
" Has there ever been a decent game that used the South Park license?  "
I liked the FPS for 64