Thank You, Game Crazy, For Closing A Location

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

It's been a hell of a week, folks!  Between pounding out some gameplay on The Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5, I've been trying to get into whatever I can grab at the moment, and it's just been generally hectic. 

This week's blog partially comes to you courtesy of Game Crazy.  More specifically, it's because one of the three locations in my hometown here is closing down and liquidating their games.  This partially sucks, because my cousin had done two months worth of interviews for a newly opened GM position at that Game Crazy location, and after getting the job, he was told two days later that the location was closing down.  He wasn't happy...especially since he had already put in his two weeks at his prior job.  Despite his plight, I happened by the place yesterday as I was hoping Hollywood Video had gotten copies of Brutal Legend (hint: they didn't have copies).  While wandering around the relatively barren wasteland of what was once a packed store, all of which was 30% off, my eyes happened upon two diamonds in the rough:  Ninja Gaiden II and Grand Theft Auto IV.  I hadn't played either of these games yet, and it just so happened that I could take them home with me for the low price of $28 total. 

WHO THE FUCK CAN PASS THAT UP?!

Luckily, the gore is still top notch! 
Now folks, I loathed...LOATHED...Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.  It wasn't the difficulty that was the problem.  It was mixing that with one of THE worst cameras ever in a video game.  Do you know how hard it was to type that entire last sentence without throwing a single cuss word in it?  Answer: as difficult as a Ninja Gaiden game!  However, for being so cheap, I couldn't pass up the achievements on that.  From what I'm to understand, a 1K on Ninja Gaiden II is a badge of honor.  I've decided I need to take on that challenge. 

I'm playing through Path of the Acolyte right now.  I'm at Genshin on Chapter 2.  Holy...fucking...shit.  Hopefully, one day, I'll get past that. 

Other than that, Ninja Gaiden II suffers from all the same issues I figured it would suffer from:  terrible camera, plastic character models, somewhat fluked combat (when I am facing someone and hitting X, it should be hitting towards that character, not going past them), and did I mention there's a terrible fucking camera? 

This is me wanting to blow Roman's brains out of his stupid head! 
Now, on to Grand Theft Auto IV...that most sacred of gaming franchises.  There's a lot of people that say this game is quite the cat's meow.  There's a whole other group of folks that say this game stinks to high Heaven.  I'm only about two hours into the game, and here's what I have to say: 

If I have to drive Roman around for the duration of this fucking game and be his bitch goddamn chauffeur, then build up relationships with a bunch of chicks just to try and virtually bang them...then GTA IV can fuck right off! 

I was so incredibly bored during the two hours I spent on it last night.  The camera control for the cars just felt soooooo damn bad, the physics on the cars kept pissing me off (I want my arcadey-style GTA III cars, dammit!), and the character movement felt incredibly awkward as well.  To be honest, I don't even know if I want to plug that game back in, but I'm compelled to do so.  Despite all these things with the gameplay that I'm having issues with, I know I can get the hang of it after some time...and the back-and-forth between the characters, all of the voice acting, as well as the presentation...man, this game really made me start connecting with those people pretty quickly.  Sure, part of that relation with Roman was "shut the fuck up before I rip your goddamn head off, you fucking prick", but still...it's a connection. 

Go ahead.  Stare.  It's okay. 
Other than that, I'm going through MUA2 on Legendary now, Pro-Reg this time.  I'm past the Act I stuff now, and I'd be much further if I hadn't been playing everything else under the sun.  Next week is Borderlands, which I am more psyched than ever for now!  We got word today from iGames that our gaming center is only one of 25 chosen in the country to host a LAN center launch party for the game, and they've got some incredibly significant prizes to be given away.  The showcase for Borderlands is going to be from October 23rd - November 8th, and during THAT time period, there are even CRAZIER prizes being given away.  We're going to be hosting our launch party on October 30th for the Halloween Lock-In that we're throwing, and I can't wait to see how people react to the game.  I think the PC crowd that we get will be more into it than the Xbox crowd, as those guys are usually more CoD/Halo/L4D-oriented and less about RPGs.  Who else is psyched for this game?  If you are SUPER psyched, then I would suggest that you hunt down your local gaming centers and find out if they are one of the selected few hosting a Borderlands launch party and showcase...as the prizes are going to be pretty damn awesome!!! 

Until next time...piece! 

P.S. -- Before I completely head out, I wanted to throw this out there:  there is nothing wrong with Ryan's Brutal Legend review - there is just something wrong with the people who feel the need to bitch and complain because they don't like his opinion.  Be constructive in what you have to say about the review, not just a blatant fucktard that can't put two sentences together without a string of intelligence somewhere in the midst of the argument.  Also...for fuck's sake...quit flooding the damn forums with the shit!  Make one central thread and keep it all in there...so I don't have to see the fucking thread titles of "Oh, my opinion matters more than Ryan's" popping up.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

It's been a hell of a week, folks!  Between pounding out some gameplay on The Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5, I've been trying to get into whatever I can grab at the moment, and it's just been generally hectic. 

This week's blog partially comes to you courtesy of Game Crazy.  More specifically, it's because one of the three locations in my hometown here is closing down and liquidating their games.  This partially sucks, because my cousin had done two months worth of interviews for a newly opened GM position at that Game Crazy location, and after getting the job, he was told two days later that the location was closing down.  He wasn't happy...especially since he had already put in his two weeks at his prior job.  Despite his plight, I happened by the place yesterday as I was hoping Hollywood Video had gotten copies of Brutal Legend (hint: they didn't have copies).  While wandering around the relatively barren wasteland of what was once a packed store, all of which was 30% off, my eyes happened upon two diamonds in the rough:  Ninja Gaiden II and Grand Theft Auto IV.  I hadn't played either of these games yet, and it just so happened that I could take them home with me for the low price of $28 total. 

WHO THE FUCK CAN PASS THAT UP?!

Now folks, I loathed...LOATHED...Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.  It wasn't the difficulty that was the problem.  It was mixing that with one of THE worst cameras ever in a video game.  Do you know how hard it was to type that entire last sentence without throwing a single cuss word in it?  Answer: as difficult as a Ninja Gaiden game!  However, for being so cheap, I couldn't pass up the achievements on that.  From what I'm to understand, a 1K on Ninja Gaiden II is a badge of honor.  I've decided I need to take on that challenge. 

I'm playing through Path of the Acolyte right now.  I'm at Genshin on Chapter 2.  Holy...fucking...shit.  Hopefully, one day, I'll get past that. 

Other than that, Ninja Gaiden II suffers from all the same issues I figured it would suffer from:  terrible camera, plastic character models, somewhat fluked combat (when I am facing someone and hitting X, it should be hitting towards that character, not going past them), and did I mention there's a terrible fucking camera? 

Now, on to Grand Theft Auto IV...that most sacred of gaming franchises.  There's a lot of people that say this game is quite the cat's meow.  There's a whole other group of folks that say this game stinks to high Heaven.  I'm only about two hours into the game, and here's what I have to say: 

If I have to drive Roman around for the duration of this fucking game and be his bitch goddamn chauffeur, then build up relationships with a bunch of chicks just to try and virtually bang them...then GTA IV can fuck right off! 

I was so incredibly bored during the two hours I spent on it last night.  The camera control for the cars just felt soooooo damn bad, the physics on the cars kept pissing me off (I want my arcadey-style GTA III cars, dammit!), and the character movement felt incredibly awkward as well.  To be honest, I don't even know if I want to plug that game back in, but I'm compelled to do so.  Despite all these things with the gameplay that I'm having issues with, I know I can get the hang of it after some time...and the back-and-forth between the characters, all of the voice acting, as well as the presentation...man, this game really made me start connecting with those people pretty quickly.  Sure, part of that relation with Roman was "shut the fuck up before I rip your goddamn head off, you fucking prick", but still...it's a connection. 

Other than that, I'm going through MUA2 on Legendary now, Pro-Reg this time.  I'm past the Act I stuff now, and I'd be much further if I hadn't been playing everything else under the sun.  Next week is Borderlands, which I am more psyched than ever for now!  We got word today from iGames that our gaming center is only one of 25 chosen in the country to host a LAN center launch party for the game, and they've got some incredibly significant prizes to be given away.  The showcase for Borderlands is going to be from October 23rd - November 8th, and during THAT time period, there are even CRAZIER prizes being given away.  We're going to be hosting our launch party on October 30th for the Halloween Lock-In that we're throwing, and I can't wait to see how people react to the game.  I think the PC crowd that we get will be more into it than the Xbox crowd, as those guys are usually more CoD/Halo/L4D-oriented and less about RPGs.  Who else is psyched for this game?  If you are SUPER psyched, then I would suggest that you hunt down your local gaming centers and find out if they are one of the selected few hosting a Borderlands launch party and showcase...as the prizes are going to be pretty damn awesome!!! 

Until next time...piece! 

P.S. -- Before I completely head out, I wanted to throw this out there:  there is nothing wrong with Ryan's Brutal Legend review - there is just something wrong with the people who feel the need to bitch and complain because they don't like his opinion.  Be constructive in what you have to say about the review, not just a blatant fucktard that can't put two sentences together without a string of intelligence somewhere in the midst of the argument.  Also...for fuck's sake...quit flooding the damn forums with the shit!  Make one central thread and keep it all in there...so I don't have to see the fucking thread titles of "Oh, my opinion matters more than Ryan's" popping up.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Don't worry about GTA, there will be blood... and talking (which you might like).

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

GTA IV only gets worse. Man, after two hours I loved it, hell, I played for over 50 hours and got to the end and said "Fuck this shit, I'm done." I never looked back and this game was the reason I bought an Xbox 360.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to wait till my birthday on November 20th to get Borderlands, which makes me mad.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By dethfish

Oh come on, what's funner than trying to bang virtual chicks?

I disagree with you on the driving. I like the way the cars handle in GTA 4 better than any past GTA game. The behind the car camera is kind of bad though. It needs to be a little higher or something.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mordukai
@jakob187: Expect more location to get closed as Hollywood is cutting back and closing more stores. From what I gather they are going to close about 200 location, not a big number if you compare the 960 stores Blockbuster are going to close by the end of the year. Wether it's the beginning of the end for Game Crazy, only time will tell. 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
@Dethfish77 said:
" Oh come on, what's funner than trying to bang virtual chicks?  I disagree with you on the driving. I like the way the cars handle in GTA 4 better than any past GTA game. The behind the car camera is kind of bad though. It needs to be a little higher or something. "
The same can be said for the NG2 camera.  It DEFINITELY needs to be a little higher up.  I'm sure that GTAIV has plenty of redeeming factors, but it does NOT make a good first impression when I compare it to the pinnacle of the GTA franchise:  GTA3.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Good luck trying to 1K Ninja Gaiden 2.....Seriously.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By dethfish
@jakob187 said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
" Oh come on, what's funner than trying to bang virtual chicks?  I disagree with you on the driving. I like the way the cars handle in GTA 4 better than any past GTA game. The behind the car camera is kind of bad though. It needs to be a little higher or something. "
The same can be said for the NG2 camera.  It DEFINITELY needs to be a little higher up.  I'm sure that GTAIV has plenty of redeeming factors, but it does NOT make a good first impression when I compare it to the pinnacle of the GTA franchise:  GTA3. "
Hopefully you end up liking GTA 4. I liked it enough to put it on my favorite games list. I also really liked NG2. It's kind of hard at first but I thought it got easier as I got near the end.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
@Mordukai: Well, this Game Crazy was literally directly across the street from a GameStop, so it was a bad idea in the first place.  Still, there were some cool cats that worked there (most of them are in local heavy metal bands).  I can't say I'm too sad to see it closed down, as three stores in one town is just a bit overkill.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Wolverine
@jakob187: You really got one hell of a deal. $28 for both of those games!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
@Wolverine said:
" @jakob187: You really got one hell of a deal. $28 for both of those games! "
Well, Ninja Gaiden is...like...$20 brand new nowadays, and GTA IV is about $20 - $30, but I've seen it at retail for $60 still.  It was either those two or I could've picked up Condemned 2.  Personally, if Greg isn't doing the voice of Ethan, then I don't care about that game.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wolverine
@jakob187 said:
" @Wolverine said:
Well, Ninja Gaiden is...like...$20 brand new nowadays, and GTA IV is about $20 - $30, but I've seen it at retail for $60 still.  It was either those two or I could've picked up Condemned 2.  Personally, if Greg isn't doing the voice of Ethan, then I don't care about that game. "
Yeah I wouldn't have gotten Condemned 2. I think you made the right decision. How is Game Crazy as a store? Is it better than Gamestop? I'm looking for a good game store to start going to because I'm so tired of Gamestop.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

You should like GTA IV as it progresses. I am part of the former camp in believing that it is one of the best games of our console generation but I don't think everyone likes it. It is a drawn-out epic of sorts.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakob187
@Wolverine said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @Wolverine said:
Well, Ninja Gaiden is...like...$20 brand new nowadays, and GTA IV is about $20 - $30, but I've seen it at retail for $60 still.  It was either those two or I could've picked up Condemned 2.  Personally, if Greg isn't doing the voice of Ethan, then I don't care about that game. "
Yeah I wouldn't have gotten Condemned 2. I think you made the right decision. How is Game Crazy as a store? Is it better than Gamestop? I'm looking for a good game store to start going to because I'm so tired of Gamestop. "
Go to Game Crazy.  I can guarantee that most of the people that work there...actually know about video games.  At least they do in my hometown.  Every Game Crazy I go to, they are hardcore fucking gamers!  Outside of here, I've only been to two other Game Crazys, and they weren't dumb either.  The GameStop here isn't as bad as most GameStops are, but they still have ignorant muthafuckers behind the counter. 

Personally, I still think every place needs to have a Games 'n' Things.  I really hope those guys get big, because not only do they know video games and movies well, but they are some cool ass folks.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolverine
@jakob187 said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @Wolverine said:
Yeah I wouldn't have gotten Condemned 2. I think you made the right decision. How is Game Crazy as a store? Is it better than Gamestop? I'm looking for a good game store to start going to because I'm so tired of Gamestop. "
Go to Game Crazy.  I can guarantee that most of the people that work there...actually know about video games.  At least they do in my hometown.  Every Game Crazy I go to, they are hardcore fucking gamers!  Outside of here, I've only been to two other Game Crazys, and they weren't dumb either.  The GameStop here isn't as bad as most GameStops are, but they still have ignorant muthafuckers behind the counter.  Personally, I still think every place needs to have a Games 'n' Things.  I really hope those guys get big, because not only do they know video games and movies well, but they are some cool ass folks. "
Cool. Judging by the deal you got it sounds like their prices aren't half bad either. I check it out over the weekend.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ben_H

I found that changing the camera angle in GTA4 so it was pulled back a bit helped the driving become much more tolerable.  The default angle is horrid.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
@Wolverine: Pretty much half of their stock of used games is in the $17 - $20 range.  Even newer games that got traded in are usually cut down by about $10.  They also give pretty good value on their games in proportion to the prices in the store.  By that, I mean that you'll get at least $35 on a new game that you are trading in, and given that at least half of their stock is in the $20 range, you could easily walk back out with two games.  They also have all kinds of crazy deals, and I've always found their pre-orders to be a bit better than GameStop's.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By matthew
@jakob187 said:
  The GameStop here isn't as bad as most GameStops are, but they still have ignorant muthafuckers behind the counter. "
Dang, I feel almost bad that I have a good gamestop store near me.  I just go against the grain of the culture I guess.  I've only ever bought one thing there in the past year or so - pristine condition copy of Ico for 20 bones.  Steal of the year, lemme tell you.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187
@Ben_H: So far, I think ALL of the camera modes for driving are horrible.  I just want a good "follow accurately behind my car" camera. 

Like I said, I've only played two hours so far, so I'm really hoping I can get into the game beyond that.  Still, I'm just not sure.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By xyzygy
@natetodamax said:

" Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to wait till my birthday on November 20th to get Borderlands, which makes me mad. "

Nooooo!!!! But you are so excited for it!! Ahhhhh 

@jakob187: In NG2, there are some achievements for beating the game only with one weapon. Basically, what this does it count out the weapons you DID'NT use, and give you the achievement for that. Well, it's possible to go through the game while only using your bow and shurikens to get all of those achievements at once, instead of doing like 10 playthroughs. Just thought I'd let you know :P I think that's what Team Ninja intended with those achievements anyway - to make people look at it and go... Umm, no.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
@xyzygy said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to wait till my birthday on November 20th to get Borderlands, which makes me mad. "
Nooooo!!!! But you are so excited for it!! Ahhhhh "
Now who am I going to spend all those long nights into the mornings with?   =  (
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By beargirl1

i stared.. lol  
yeah, ninja gaiden 2 is a game i'd really love to play. i'm loving Sigma so far (been playing it for a long time..) and my jaw dropped 
when i saw all the awesome gore in Ninja Gaiden 2.  
I felt the same way about GTA IV, driving roman was a bit lame, but i was too busy focusing on the graphics... i have to admit the game is pretty damn beautiful.  
now, back to staring. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
@xyzygy: From what I'm to understand, you can do separate saves at the last save point in the game, and then just beat it with each of the weapons and it'll unlock the achievements.  Apparently, the toughest part would happen to be the DLC stuff...which I didn't know there was DLC for the game.  We'll see how much I like it before I consider picking up the DLC...but given that I'd much rather get the Midnight Club Los Angeles DLC...I doubt it'll happen. 

Also, I'm getting pretty close to that 40K marker...which means I'm going to have to put down some dough for the Stranglehold DLC so I can break 40K with Testikill.  =  D
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Xandurson

I'm sorry jakob, but the fact that you are not liking GTA4 makes me sad. GTA4 is one of my favorite games ever but I can see why you don't like it. Anyways, have fun with Ninja Gaiden because those games frustrate me. No amount of achieves is worth that torture.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
@GamerGeek360: LAWL  I've endured some wicked ass torture, sir.  I used to review video games once upon a time.  LOL  Nothing that reaches the levels of Alex Navarro having to review Big Rigs, but still...I've played ChoroQ.  Oddly enough, I also still OWN the trade demo of ChoroQ.  I don't know why.  I should've thrown it on a burn pile a long time ago.  Therefore, withstanding the "torture" of Ninja Gaiden II won't be that bad. 

Here's the thing, though:  should we call it "torture"?  Honestly, despite the sometimes iffy combat and the terrible camera, let's face the fact that Itagaki-san made an incredibly difficult game that just proves how slouched we have become as gamers.  Sure, games are about having fun, but where's the challenge at?!  Nowadays, the only time the word "challenge" ever seems to pop up is when something is trying to be a retro game.  I commend Itagaki-san for being willing to put a challenge in this game (and also make it where enemies don't just stand around like a bunch of dipshit dumbfucks while you beat up their buddies).  This isn't Dynasty Warriors, after all.  It's Ninja fuckin' Gaiden, and it's got a legacy to uphold!  LOL 

So I don't mind the challenge.  I just wish that some of the aesthetics, like that fucking camera, would've been implemented better.  I mean, he had enough time to work on it...and instead, he just tried to get boobs to be even bouncier.
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xandurson
@jakob187: Well have fun with that because to me it is torture, but I get pissed when I start losing a CoD4 match online so maybe I shouldn't be the one to judge.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By iam3green

dang that sucks, there was a gamecrazy, hollywood video that just closed in the town right across the town from me. now i am kind of nervous that it might happen to the one in that i reserved modern warfare 2... and i won't get my $25 back for the preorder.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By MKHavoc

There sort of a trick you can use in GTA IV that you can use if you don't want to spend too much time with your friends.  Whenever one of them call calls and asks you to bring them somewhere just accept, then call them back right after and cancel your plans.  Your relationship won't go down that way.     

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187
@iam3green: I didn't even think about people that had pre-orders.  The one that is closing down here didn't really get many pre-orders, so I would assume it's not that big of a deal here.  I saw something about pre-orders on a sheet there, but I didn't read into it since I pre-order nothing ever.  =  /  I would ask the location if they are closing at all, and if they answer yes, then I'd ask for a refund on my pre-order.  lol
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Metroid545

You've taken on the ninja test then! Good luck bro! I played through that game 4-5 times on warrior and got some of the beat game with only this weapons but I let a friend borrow it and haven't gotten it back but when I do i swear I will 1k it