• 63 results
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hondorondo

Do you think that this is the end of bad graphics and polygons in general?

Unlimited Detail is believed by many to be the one of, and possibly the most significant piece of technology of the decade.

It is best explained as follows:

Every time a new 3d graphics card or games console (Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation) is built, they make it more powerful in order to run more geometry (Put more objects on the screen and make them look more rounded). Games today still have a long way to go before they look like 3d movies (Shrek, Nemo, Toy story); billions are spent every year on R&D to make hardware more powerful. Unlimited Detail is a software algorithm that gives unlimited geometry. When we say “unlimited geometry” we really do mean it. It really is Unlimited, Infinite, endless power, for 3D graphics.

http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/description.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4
heat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By heat

Nope, pretty sure that shit doesn't animate

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NakAttack
@hondorondo: not with games like deadly premonition out there
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iam3green

no, i think there will still be some games that will be coming out with bad graphics. a game called two world came out in like 07 and the game was horrible to play. the graphics were bad and there was lagging to it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@nk19 said:
" @hondorondo: not with games like deadly premonition out there "
Rogue warrior is worse.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By meteora

Nope.

There will still be some subpar and crappier looking graphic games that gets pushed out. Dragon Age is a good contender, and MW2 doesn't look nearly as gorgeous as other shooters to compensate for 60 fps gameplay.

Edited: Jesus christ, thats some gorgeous graphics. Maybe next time I should actually read the post for once. =/

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By animateria

NEVER

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NakAttack
@The_Laughing_Man:Aint that the truth. also that's why i said like.
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By project343
@heat said:
" Nope, pretty sure that shit doesn't animate "
That's an interesting conclusion. I could see that being an issue.
SkyMasterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SkyMasterson
@heat said:
"Nope, pretty sure that shit doesn't animate "

You've obviously never played Conker's Bad Fur Day.
hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hondorondo
@project343 said:
" @heat said:
" Nope, pretty sure that shit doesn't animate "
That's an interesting conclusion. I could see that being an issue. "

The developers are claiming that it does animate.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Graphics are not important to me. Gameplay is important, but graphics aren't. I could play a PS3 game that looked like a 2600 game as long as it was fun.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By DoctorWelch

Here are a few reasons why this "breakthrough technology" isn't as much of a breakthrough as you might think. 
 1. With games like Crisis as the example, polygon technology is already so far along that this stuff doesn't matter because its already to late. With the speed at which technology advances, 10 years from now it wouldn't be surprising if games look extremely close to how pictures or movies of real people do. 
2. Its not as unlimited as they might like to make you believe. All it's doing is using math to calculate what dots need to be shown for the resolution that you are running at which isn't really that big of a deal. 
3. They also say its all done in software. But that is where the whole animating problem comes in. Its not going to animate in software, end of story. For it to animate its going to most likely need a shit load of power attached to it. 
4. All this doesn't even matter because the resolution of the screen is going to be the limit which is the same with polygons today. Therefore, there is no real improvement.
5. The final reason why this is stupid is that the video and site seem to be pretty old. So if this indeed was as big of a breakthrough as they say it is, shouldn't it have caught on by now?

Avatar image for flyingmonkeywhoa
flyingmonkeywhoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By flyingmonkeywhoa

As long as theres still a Wii game, bad graphics will exist

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ryax
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
"Graphics are not important to me. Gameplay is important, but graphics aren't. I could play a PS3 game that looked like a 2600 game as long as it was fun."

lets be honest, 2600 games were fun for the most part.  

games still have shitty graphics tho. haze came out in 08 and was just super bloomed to look decent. which it doesnt. rogue warrior is another one.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail
@nk19 said:
This was exactly what I thought.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By EpicSteve

That's the worst idea, ever. It doesn't matter how great graphics technology gets, there will still be games that fail to meet whatever standards us gamers at the time have. If you took a game that looks like shit now to 2001, it would be considered jaw-dropping photo realism. Same goes for the other way, we could see a "shit" game of 2015 and be amazed no matter what. Standards evolve with time, that'll never change.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Afroman269

Rogue Warrior and Deadly Premonition disagree with you.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm

It's detailed, but it also looks like ass.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By FirePrince
@flyingmonkeywhoa:
Well that was evil. 
Also,no,the will never be an end to bad graphics.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ryax
@flyingmonkeywhoa said:
"As long as theres still a Wii game, bad graphics will exist "
its true. wii goes for gameplay not graphics yet they seem to fail at both. except the official nintendo games (mario, zelda , metroid)
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By armaan8014
@nk19 said:
First thing that came in my mind :D
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

I regularly wonder when the industry will switch from polygons to a graphics technology on a pixel-basis. It is interesting, as this thread's comments show, that people cannot even imagine other ways of computer generated imagery other than using vertices. 

I have always believed that pixel clouds may replace polygons at some point, and I have always wondered why Outcast (1999) never generated interest in alternatives to polygons. Very interesting, thanks for the info!

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By Deusoma
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @nk19 said:
Rogue warrior is worse. "
Strictly graphically speaking, Rogue Warrior is better. Rogue Warrior would have looked good if it came out on the original Xbox. Deadly Premonition, on the other hand, has about the same level of visual quality as a Playstation 1 game.
RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RoujinX

Unlimited Money = Unlimited Graphics
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By skrutop

I like how the dudes say "unllllllllllllimited"

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By luce

It was an interesting video...but it seems too good to be true

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By Cirdain
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By armaan8014

hmm.. a lot of talk about this is there on the internet, but there's no solid proof or application f the technology.
Nothing much is gonna come from it I guess

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By I_smell

As long as there are bad artists; there will be bad graphics. Also artists don't have unlimited time to make unlimited assets- There's a reason God of War 3 is the shortest one.

Also this is such a weird idea to get my head around. Firstly I won't believe it until I see it on my own home computer, second how do you animate or even model something like this? Surely you can't use regular old Maya or 3DS. Wouldn't they have to invent new software tools, or maybe even new consoles for this to interest anyone? This is a bit like inventing a car that runs on hydrogen when there are no hydrogen petrol stations.
Would you have to start from square 1 as far as shading n lighting are concerned? In this video especially you can see shadows jittering around all weird. What about reflections? What about transparency?
How does hit detection in games work?
They really need to hire some proper artists to show this off.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By Geno
@EpicSteve said:

" That's the worst idea, ever. It doesn't matter how great graphics technology gets, there will still be games that fail to meet whatever standards us gamers at the time have. If you took a game that looks like shit now to 2001, it would be considered jaw-dropping photo realism. Same goes for the other way, we could see a "shit" game of 2015 and be amazed no matter what. Standards evolve with time, that'll never change. "

Well games don't get infinitely better looking, the "maximum" is true photorealism (real life), no? We're fast approaching such a standard, and will probably reach it within the next 1-2 decades.  

As for the content of the OP...I don't know, seems a bit too good to be true. It should be noted that the demo video he showed mainly just consisted of cloned geometries, which were run at a very slow framerate and resolution. I also think that there is a greater emphasis in the industry on pixel shaders rather than geometry shaders so I'm not sure how much of an impact that this will have. I'm interested in seeing how this will turn out but my expectations aren't high. 
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Willy105

There will always be bad graphics.

Because bad graphics are the default for any game.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JoelTGM

So many people didn't even read the topic post.

grayhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By grayhulk
it depends on what you classify " bad graphics," as. 3d Dot Game Heroes is being released in a couple of weeks. The graphical style of that game uses 3d pixels. If someone considers 2d pixel games as having bad graphics, than 3d Dot Game Heroes has bad graphics. This is not the truth though, the game uses old 8-bit or 16-bit graphics and updates them to 3d pixels as an homage to old school games. Occasionally developers use old graphics to influence their art style, producing a very intriguing concept of a game such as 3d Dot Game Heroes.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rowr

"Bad graphics" is relative to context.  

speaking of context....

"Unlimited Detail is believed by many to be the one of, and possibly the most significant piece of technology of the decade."

Uhhhh, yeh, ok.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Three0neFive

As technology changes, so will our standards and what we consider "bad".

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

You think an entirely new framework requiring a whole new pipeline will make graphics look better? Bro, the transition alone would make graphics worse for a couple years. Everything would be gaudy and shiny until people figure out what the hell they're doing. Now I understand a lot of retards don't mind if a game is ugly as hell as long as all that ugly shit is super detailed, so for them, this is a dream come true. Gears of War 4, whoa bro that cartoon looking meatheat has even more scars awesome bro high five bro. Art direction will still be lacking in a significant way. The great thing about this tech, though, is it gives people who make movie graphics a window of transition because in theory this would allow them to do the same things they've been doing but in games.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikeeegeee
@I_smell said:
" As long as there are bad artists; there will be bad graphics. Also artists don't have unlimited time to make unlimited assets- There's a reason God of War 3 is the shortest one."
I agree with what everyone else said, but especially this.

Regardless of the capabilities of our technology, we will still need people to create the worlds we see in games, and that takes time. In the same way that a painter can spend years to make his painting as detailed and incredible as possible, it will take game developers similar time and manpower investments to utilize the technology. So while unlimited detail may be possible, you'll still need artists to render that detail into the game.

And bad graphics will be around so long as bad art direction is around. Bland is bland, regardless of how high-res it is.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho

A lot of people look at this obtusely and go "look at Pandora why can't games do this". Well the thing about that is, it took like 5 fucking years, and also, a programmer didn't have to scope over every inch to make sure there weren't any tearing or interaction issues with your player character walking through it. That factor alone, something you wouldn't detect at all in a trailer, would probably take longer to work out than the graphics themselves. That's why Killzone 2 the trailer and Killzone 2 the game had a 3 year gap in between.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Evilsbane

Hey guys I am going to take a nap, when a game comes out that looks better than Uncharted 2 comes out, wake me up.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By frankfartmouth

Even if that tech is legit, it wouldn't replace a good art design team. The technical is only one side of it. Some games are rendered nicely, run on good engines, have good framerates, etc., but still don't stand apart aesthetically.  Crysis is probably the most extreme example. Yes, it looks great, but it's mostly just the foliage that makes it stand apart. It's not really an interesting looking game.  Impressive in its own right,  but not as vibrant or unique as something like Bioshock or, taking the example even further, Super Mario Galaxy, which isn't nearly as impressive technically, but I thought, more exciting to look at.  Point is, there will always be something to bitch about.  As soon as we adjust to photorealistic graphics, we'll find some other limitation to focus on.     

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By sjschmidt93

I'm just going to assume you haven't watch the ER.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@bitcloud said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze: Why can't it all be important?  

I need you to explain to me what way, if any, bad graphics would stop a game from being fun. Imagine your favorite game, the game you find the most fun. For me that's Uncharted 2. Now, Uncharted 2 is a very good looking game. I would play that game with PlayStation graphics and it would not change how fun it is for me. That's the important thing about games for me. Are they fun? If so, nothing else really matters. I honestly could not care less about graphics. If you can present me with a legitimate argument for how bad graphics would cause a game with perfect gameplay to be less fun, then I will reconsider my position.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thecleric
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @nk19 said:
guys these are low budget titles, it's expected 

Nier however, is getting quite a buzz and god.. that game looks awful
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@thecleric said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @nk19 said:
guys these are low budget titles, it's expected   Nier however, is getting quite a buzz and god.. that game looks awful "
Charging  less for DP is ok..but full price for rouge warrior? That is a gaming sin! 
skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By skywing

I'm curious how many of you actually watched and read up on the technology. 
Also, I feel those who did watch the video are being a little too dismissive to the technology.  I think it will have a place for it.  Lets say it doesn't animate so great, combine it with polygon technology and it could map out the sky or background, non interactive and non animated surfaces or something.   

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Three0neFive
@Evilsbane said:
" Hey guys I am going to take a nap, when a game comes out that looks better than Uncharted 2 comes out, wake me up. "
Guess I'll need a time machine to wake you up back in 2007.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Graphics smaphics, if a game doesn't have good Art sense it'll still look bad.