Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By cspiffo
thiago said:
"Icemael said:
"thiago said:
"Let's see:- The introduction of a consensus that the single player campaign has "nothing special". This crap is repeated again, and again, and again, and even in the Bombcast;- The spreading of BS relating to the characters and story, as if it was crappy. The story is good;- The spreading of BS about the AI. The AI is one of the best;- The spreading of BS about the controls. The controls are good;- The made up argument that it doesn't "innovate", when it does;And many others. The score must never be taken as it is, but only in comparison with games from the same generation and genre, and we can easily see that Killzone was shot down for it not to score higher than the competition."
YOU think the single player is awesome, YOU think the story is good, YOU think the AI is good and YOU think the controls are great. All those are subjective - people will disagree with you, accept it(or if you don't, at least don't whine about it). 
"
Those are quantifiable and verifiable aspects. No subjectivity, just logic. Try this:- Check how large are the environments;- Count how many enemies are on the screen (yes, write it down);- Count from how many directions they come from;- Count how many times they will seek cover, run, protect from you, change to another position, etc. Awesome AI;The enemies are the coolest enemies in a while. Radec looks like some Darth Vader's cousin, it is the most awesome boss I have seen in a videogame. Visari is the best. Rico is more believable with its lack of control than some ex-football player called "the train".The most impressive simulation of war ever created. Yes, war perfected. It has even winds and dust and the sound of explosions that makes you feel that a war is really going on and storms. This game was nitpicked to death."
And for a while I thought games were intended to be played for fun.  Thank You tiago.  Now I know my fun can be quantified.  My pure enjoyment of something can just be defined by someone else or some mathmatical formula.

So you like the game.  That's cool.  So do I.  I just think you're taking things way to far.  Take criticism with grain of salt.  At the end of the day it all boils down to what you think of it. 
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#52  Edited By Icemael
thiago said:
"Icemael said:
"thiago said:
"Let's see:- The introduction of a consensus that the single player campaign has "nothing special". This crap is repeated again, and again, and again, and even in the Bombcast;- The spreading of BS relating to the characters and story, as if it was crappy. The story is good;- The spreading of BS about the AI. The AI is one of the best;- The spreading of BS about the controls. The controls are good;- The made up argument that it doesn't "innovate", when it does;And many others. The score must never be taken as it is, but only in comparison with games from the same generation and genre, and we can easily see that Killzone was shot down for it not to score higher than the competition."
YOU think the single player is awesome, YOU think the story is good, YOU think the AI is good and YOU think the controls are great. All those are subjective - people will disagree with you, accept it(or if you don't, at least don't whine about it). 
"
Those are quantifiable and verifiable aspects. No subjectivity, just logic. Try this:- Check how large are the environments;- Count how many enemies are on the screen (yes, write it down);- Count from how many directions they come from;- Count how many times they will seek cover, run, protect from you, change to another position, etc. Awesome AI;The enemies are the coolest enemies in a while. Radec looks like some Darth Vader's cousin, it is the most awesome boss I have seen in a videogame. Visari is the best. Rico is more believable with its lack of control than some ex-football player called "the train".The most impressive simulation of war ever created. Yes, war perfected. It has even winds and dust and the sound of explosions that makes you feel that a war is really going on and storms. This game was nitpicked to death."
Perhaps the AI is advanced, but that doesn't mean it's good. The AI is good when it enhances the experience, and that is subjective. Just like whether the enemies are cool or not.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By Jensonb

Let's be clear here, Killzone 1 sucked to high heaven. It was trash.

Killzone 2 though, that was awesome.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By penguindust
thiago said:
"The enemies are the coolestenemies in a while. Radec looks like some Darth Vader's cousin, it is the most awesome boss I have seen in a videogame. Visari is the best. Rico is more believablewith its lack of control than some ex-football player called "the train".The most impressive simulation of war ever created. Yes, war perfected. It has even winds and dust and the sound of explosions that makes you feel that a war is really going on and storms. This game was nitpicked to death."
I don't see much in that statement that is "quantifiable and verifiable".  I understand you like the game, but what I don't understand is why, if scores mean nothing, it is so important to you that everyone else see the game as the masterpiece that you see it.  Explain to me what you want from everyone who has voiced a less fanatical opinion on the game from you.
dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55  Edited By dj

I didn't see anyone speak badly about Killzone 2. From what I can tell the praise was universal.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By thiago
cspiffo said:
And for a while I thought games were intended to be played for fun.  Thank You tiago.  Now I know my fun can be quantified.  My pure enjoyment of something can just be defined by someone else or some mathmatical formula.So you like the game.  That's cool.  So do I.  I just think you're taking things way to far.  Take criticism with grain of salt.  At the end of the day it all boils down to what you think of it.  "

Your likes or dislikes must be explainable logically. Reviewing a game and saying "I didn't like it" or "it is generic" is not enough. Explain what is wrong or right in your opinion.

My point is, in many reviews the reasons given for the game not getting a 10 weren't good ones. And even in those cases where it had some degree of truth, it doesn't justify the score. For example, gamespot cited the six axis usage as "tacked on", which is ridiculous. It just works! The story is good, whatever dislike you might have with it it doesn't justify a whole point down.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By cspiffo
thiago said:
"cspiffo said:
And for a while I thought games were intended to be played for fun.  Thank You tiago.  Now I know my fun can be quantified.  My pure enjoyment of something can just be defined by someone else or some mathmatical formula.So you like the game.  That's cool.  So do I.  I just think you're taking things way to far.  Take criticism with grain of salt.  At the end of the day it all boils down to what you think of it.  "
Your likes or dislikes must be explainable logically. Reviewing a game and saying "I didn't like it" or "it is generic" is not enough. Explain what is wrong or right in your opinion.My point is, in many reviews the reasons given for the game not getting a 10 weren't good ones. And even in those cases where it had some degree of truth, it doesn't justify the score. For example, gamespot cited the six axis usage as "tacked on", which is ridiculous. It just works! The story is good, whatever dislike you might have with it it doesn't justify a whole point down."
Good grief...I'm done with this.  You are a strange, strange person thiago.
thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By thiago
PenguinDust said:
"thiago said:
"The enemies are the coolestenemies in a while. Radec looks like some Darth Vader's cousin, it is the most awesome boss I have seen in a videogame. Visari is the best. Rico is more believablewith its lack of control than some ex-football player called "the train".The most impressive simulation of war ever created. Yes, war perfected. It has even winds and dust and the sound of explosions that makes you feel that a war is really going on and storms. This game was nitpicked to death."
I don't see much in that statement that is "quantifiable and verifiable".  I understand you like the game, but what I don't understand is why, if scores mean nothing, it is so important to you that everyone else see the game as the masterpiece that you see it.  Explain to me what you want from everyone who has voiced a less fanatical opinion on the game from you."

That's because the quantifiable and verifiable things were in the previous paragraph you purposefully deleted in order to make it look like you have a point.

The characters are very good, especially the enemies. The Helghast look awesome, in a way you don't see everyday in games. If it was an American game then the enemies would probably be like Locust, monsters who can't even speak, or some Arab Osama Bin Laden look alike. If it was a Japanese game then the enemies would look like gray haired homos.

The important is not the high score, but have it higher than the competition. That's what is important. If the competition had gotten a 5 for a score, then a 6 would be good. If it had gotten a 7 then a 8 would be good. I don't care if it is 10, 100 or 1000, as long as this game gets an 11, 101 or 1001.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By atejas
thiago said:

A simple equation for you to understand it better:

War simulation = Killzone

Do you know any game that does it better? Neither do I. This should be enough to place this game in legendary level.
"
Operation Flashpoint.
Armed Assault.
thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By thiago
atejas said:
"thiago said:

Do you know any game that does it better? Neither do I. This should be enough to place this game in legendary level.
"
Operation Flashpoint.Armed Assault."

Have you read the thread? Why do people post crap without reading the thread?

Ok, now could you elaborate on that? Describe what is better in your opinion in logical terms.

EDIT: Killzone is not even a tactical shooter. Completely clueless comparison, as usual. The haters can't produce logical thinking.
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By inkeiren

Daikatana.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By atejas
thiago said:
"atejas said:
"thiago said:

"
Operation Flashpoint.Armed Assault."
Have you read the thread? Why do people post crap without reading the thread?Ok, now could you elaborate on that? Describe what is better in your opinion in logical terms."
Realism shooters with wide open maps are better war simulators than linear shooters with Space Nazis.
thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By thiago
atejas said:
Realism shooters with wide open maps are better war simulators than linear shooters with Space Nazis."

In your twisted comparison of apples to oranges in a world where logic doesn't exist, it may be. Not in the real world.

BTW, I am still waiting for you explanation as what is better. Can we assume you have given up?
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By atejas
inkeiren said:
"Daikatana."
+1
thiago said:
"atejas said:
Realism shooters with wide open maps are better war simulators than linear shooters with Space Nazis."
In your twisted comparison of apples to oranges in a world where logic doesn't exist, it may be. Not in the real world.BTW, I am still waiting for you explanation as what is better. Can we assume you have given up?"

Wikipedia says:
At the start of each mission (after the intro cinematic) the player is presented with a briefing explaining the situation, describing the player's goals in the mission and, often, providing further information in the form of notes. Once in-game the player is provided with a map, compass, watch, and a notebook (which contains the aforementioned briefing for reviewing). Depending on the mission the player may be required to participate in and complete a variety of tasks, from simply driving a truck or guarding bases to attacking or defending various objectives (whether on foot or while crewing a vehicle), patrols, reconnaissance and sabotage behind enemy lines (as a special forces soldier), air support (as a helicopter or fixed-wing aircraft pilot), or any combination of these and more.
I certainly would call that a better war simulator than(and here I quote Wikipedia again)

With Killzone 2, Guerrilla Games aims to provide the player with an immersive and cinematic gameplay experience that is grounded in reality with what they call "Hollywood Realism". The game is presented almost entirely from a first person perspective, aside from vehicular combat. Killzone 2 features a "lean and peek" cover system which allows the player to take cover behind an object and then pop out to fire at enemies. The "lean and peek" mechanic stays in first person view at all times. It is also possible for Sev to pilot vehicles at two points in the game: a tank and an exoskeleton. Many classic weapons and vehicles from previous Killzone installments returns, such as the M82-G and the StA-52 LAR. The Sixaxis motion control feature is also utilized in performing certain actions such as turning a valve, arming an explosive charge and sniping. Game director Mathjis de Jonge has confirmed there are currently no plans to have co-op in Killzone 2
Hollywood realism
Which does not equal realism.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By thiago

Ok, you don't know anything about Armed Assault or Operation Flashpoint. You just found them on Google. You can't describe how they are better or produce anything that could serve as an argument.

Now you reverted to a red herring. If a simulation can only depict real world events then the whole game is not one because it is clearly science fiction. All the weapons, vehicles and story are made up. That's how it is cinematic, in a way things are presented. Very Holywood like.

Now if we are talking about battle simulation. No, there's no match. All the crap happening around you, many enemies moving around and shooting you from several directions. Really intense at all times. Better than COD4 or any other game.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By atejas
thiago said:
Now if we are talking about battle simulation. No, there's no match. All the crap happening around you, many enemies moving around and shooting you from several directions. Really intense at all times. Better than COD4 or any other game."
No, because it's not a tactical shooter, which a war simulator would be.

Allow me to quote wikipedia again.

Simulation is the imitation of some real thing, state of affairs, or process. The act of simulating something generally entails representing certain key characteristics or behaviors of a selected physical or abstract system.

'some real thing, state of affairs or process.'
'real'

And, guess what? Real battles are tactical.

And I know plenty about those games. I even tried OFP once, even if it wasn't my cup of tea.

thiago said: ,
many enemies moving around and shooting you from several directions. Really intense at all times. Better than COD4 or any other game."
That happens in STALKER and Far Cry 2 as well. That does not make them 'war simulators'.
thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By thiago
atejas said:

'some real thing, state of affairs or process.'
'real'

And, guess what? Real battles are tactical.

The tactics of the battle are handled by someone else, in that game you see everything through the eyes of a soldier and don't get to decide anything. The battle simulation in this case applies only to the actual shooting and scenarios, and it is the most realistic ever made, either on consoles or PCs.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

No, killzone 2 is great.
Not as good as people said it would be, but it came close.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By jakob187
Absurd said:
"Endogene said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V - err... LiquidPrince"
O wow... i really should pick up those books (and a dictionary)"
or just watch V for Vendetta?"
...or you could read the trade paperback and ignore that shitty movie.
Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Mercator

The OP still refuses to understand that some people just dont like the same shit he does.

Sorry for that. Really I am.

Booshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Booshka

It looks like this thread is going all the way to April 1st, hopefully then thiago will reveal himself as flame and troll bait and this thread as a joke for his entertainment, anything else will be unsettling.
Oh yeah, Postal, pretty vilified.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By warxsnake
thiago said:
"warxsnake said:
"sabotaged by the media? how many 10's does a mediocre shooter with good multiplayer need ?"
Troll. The game is superb. There's no equal in terms of simulation of battles. The intensity is unmatchable, either on consoles or even the PC. It doesn't deserve a 10, it is a legendary game that sets a new standard for FPSes.Unlike other games, where you are guided through the map and the enemies conveniently appear right in from of you (oh BTW, they stand perfectly still for you to aim) and then you kill them (always only 2 or 4) and walk some more while listening to some lame dialogue, in KZ2 you are being shot at from several directions and fighting much more enemies that constantly move seeking cover. Even then they don't stay on the same place for too long. The Helghast give you no time to rest and when you think you are done some more appear from another place you hadn't imagined. Intense is the best word to describe it. In many parts you need to push the enemies back, you feel like every centimeter is hardly fought for with lots of chaos happening around you. You don't find that anywhere else. "
Everything you just said could be used to describe FEAR1, A.I. wise, and they were event smarter in FEAR, ducking behind cover, overturning dynamic cover, jumping over it to flank you from the side.
Killzone2 is a good game that plays like all other FPS, there is nothing different about it when it comes to single player, even with the AI you praise so much. It's scripted event after scripted event, the story obviously isn't anything special and you are doing the typical missions a war game gives you. The only thing I personally found in KZ2 that is new, innovative and exciting is the multiplayer game mode changing on the fly which keeps multiplayer matches fresh even if you spend a lot of time in the same server.
It's not trolling, it's something called opinion and I am entitled to one, thanks.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By Red
jakob187 said:
"This should be in the Killzone forum.

Also, the first Killzone was pretty bad.  How bad?  No jump button.
"
Thank you.
Now I'll never ever, ever buy this game. I am dead serious.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By penguindust
warxsnake said:
It's not trolling, it's something called opinion and I am entitled to one, thanks.
warxsnake is right, which is why I'm going to agree with jakob187's opinion and say if anyone is interested in Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, they should pick up the trade paperback and read that rather than see the movie.  I didn't care for the film, either which is sad, because I enjoyed the "V" book more than the Watchmen book.  In my opinion, it had a stronger sense of dread and foreboding.

As for Killzone 2, the final thing I am going to say on the subject is that I am enjoying the game.  It's a lot of fun.  I'd recommend it to people who enjoy first-person shooters.  I'm satisfied with the reviews.   It doesn't have to be "King of Kings" in my opinion to still be worth full price admission.  It isn't Noby Noby Killzone where my penis gets longer the more people adore the game.  So, the minutia of a few percentage points or written critical flaws make absolutely no difference to me.

And, I wouldn't really consider it a game in this particular sense, but last year there was a big fuss over an art-game exhibit at Leipzig's convention featuring Space Invaders and the Twin Towers.  I think it meets the "vilified" definition.  http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/art-exhibit-angers-9-11-families/1241357