mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By mhkjtha
@DavidSnakes said:
" It's obvious as hell, and Jeff was right on the podcasts.  "They'll figure out how to charge PC gamers for maps."  "
Making people pay for Map packs would be possible without this.
OK they might not be able to release a SDK since people would just make copies of map pack maps and upload them for free. But they can still have dedicated server support and light mods.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#202  Edited By Fallen189

I was going to buy it, but not anymore, I guess. I can't stand playing Xbox360 online, and PC was going to be a refuge. Now they're forcing a change I don't care for, I'll pass. I guess.

Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#203  Edited By Nock

No Caption Provided
Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Nettacki
@TheHBK said:
" This is more of a testament to how PC gaming needs to change if it will remain alive, let along competitive.  Battle Net didnt cause as much a problem except for the no LAN thing.  But this is about giving a more console like experience to the people out there who are not all server crazy and say I only play here!  stuff.  More people means more money. IW is probably thinking, let the nerdy IP memorizing geeks run off.  We needs to make a tighter game and more money while we are at it. Gonna get the 360 version so doesn't affect me. It is these stubborn PC gamers who are causing the death of PC gaming, by getting all pussy like about this stuff and trying to tell the business how things should be done that they should stay the same when business has clearly not been good for a while.  Sorry but you A-holes who say that the game should get pirated and that IW and Activision deserve to have their game pirated are the cause of this.  Battle Net and IWNet, Games For Windows Livea and even Steam are a response to this and a way to get PC gaming back on its feet.  Your time is over. Oh and as for mods, COD was never a mod heavy game.  Its up to how they want people to mess with it. But it gets fucking annoying when i have to spend so much time downloading skins or maps or fucking .wav files for the sounds people think make the game better.  They dont.  Unless they are the announcer sounds from Unreal Tournament. "
You don't really understand the PC gaming culture, do you?
w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By w00master
@PowerSerj said:
" @Hannibal said:
" These are all things that are frustrating to the play experience for anyone who isn't fiercely loyal to the dedicated server system. "
C'mon, fiercely loyal? You make finding a half decent dedicated server sound like it's a difficult, time consuming activity. And if some people really do feel that way, they probably shouldn't be using their computer for video games, or much of anything else. 

I think part of the issue though is that the user experience isn't very good with this sort of methodology. Think of someone who loves playing CoD who isn't a "hardcore PC gamer" getting kicked out of a dedicated server becomes a frustrating experience for that particular user.  I'm not claiming that matchmaking is perfect (it hella ain't), but matchmaking was created for users who aren't into ping times, joining clans, etc. etc.  I'd bet that this is the majority of the pc gamers playing MW.

That said, again... I'm very mixed on this issue.  I really feel for the PC boycotters, but at the same time I really understand why IW did what they did.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#206  Edited By Andorski

The petition out right now is stupid.  There should be another petition where people pledge to hack, torrent, and pirate the game no matter what.  I'm a huge torrent user, and I have no problems helping out the cause.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#207  Edited By George_Hukas
@PapaLazarou said:
" @Zabant said:
"CoD4 pc was pirated out the ass, something like 40% of copies out there were pirated.   Seeing IW make steps so that people only use IW:NET is a smart move as the pirates will be spotted the second they get in the system.  Also, threatening to pirate the game because they took out something that is a god damn privilege? hardly any console games have servers, and we deal and enjoy. Why must PC gamers throw their toys out the pram and act like a bunch of god damn retards...it only further enforces the stereotype that they are eliteist, a bunch of pirates and the most difficult to cater to auidience.  No wonder game devs are moving away from PC gaming. "
YEH CAUSE YOU COULD PLAY ONLINE WITHOUT A CD KEY COULDN'T YOU!!!!  You're a fucking idiot.  People who pirated the game did so for the single player or to play over hamachi and guess what they'll do that again because there will be a crack on release.  This doesn't stop piracy but hurts the players.   "
Are you kidding?!

You CAN play COD4 online without a cd key and IS a major problem. Just like the worthless prestige mode.. 

This is all in the name of fixing these issues
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#208  Edited By Siphillis

Two Universes: one for dedicated matchmaking, and the other custom modifications, ect. 

Is that so hard?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#209  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm surprised this wasn't accompanied by footage of angry PC gamers interrupting the press conference when this was announced. (Town hall joke, for those who couldn't understand.)

Cadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Cadius

I cancelled my pre-order the second I saw this and will never buy an IW game again.  They aren't a noteworthy enough developer to me for me to put up with such an anti-consumer stance. 

And that doesn't mean I'll be buying it used or torrenting it.  I stand by my boycotts and will not be playing MW2 at all.

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Contra
@Video_Game_King said:
" I'm surprised this wasn't accompanied by footage of angry PC gamers interrupting the press conference when this was announced. (Town hall joke, for those who couldn't understand.) "

Yes.  I'd like to ask the good gentleman from Infinity Ward a question.  It is in 2 parts.

1.  .... the ****?
2.  Are you high?
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#213  Edited By TheJollyRajah
@noobeffect: It's your fault for expecting sequels.  

And you should realize by now that not everything the devs say comes true. Things change.  

IW didn't have to make another game. They aren't obligated to do it. You aren't losing a DAMN THING. Calm down. Jesus Christ. 

You know what's worse than Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo fanboys? The P.C.D.F. (The PC DEFENSE FORCE). When they have to pay for a game, they become outraged, and demolish the credibility and sales of certain games, like Spore. They are the most selfish crowd of all. They complain about every fucking little thing. They form useless petitions. Boycott games they want. (And end up pirating them anyway because deep down they really want to play the game). They brag about their superiority to console gamers, calling everyone else ignorant. When in fact it's the other way around. 
nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By nexas

The problem is they are turning the PC version into a console experience. The PC community shells out huge amount of money for what they consider the PC experience. They want their mods, their dedicated servers, and they want it for $50. MW2 is offering none of this one, so its really not that surprising that PC gamers are pissed.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#215  Edited By big_jon

This is dumb, but Activisoin is still a bunch of pricks.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#216  Edited By Vinchenzo

If if I did plan on playing MW2 on a computer, which I do not, I enjoy matchmaking better than finding servers. It's so much easier! Stupid whining bitches.

Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By PowerSerj
@w00master said:
"...but matchmaking was created for users who aren't into ping times, joining clans, etc. etc. "
That's exactly the point, though. These people already have two (give or take, depending on the game at hand) other outlets to suit their needs.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Vinchenzo said:
" If if I did plan on playing MW2 on a computer, which I do not, I enjoy matchmaking better than finding servers. It's so much easier! Stupid whining bitches. "
thank you.
Antipunk217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Antipunk217

One person on the steam forums put it best. No dedicated servers means no admins, which means: Vulgar Language, Rampant Cheating, Griefing, mic spamming, and general assholery. I personally feel that it will ruin the online. I play on PC for a reason, and one of the reasons I spent a ton of money on my rig was so I could play multiplayer the way that I want to (with a server list and a server community). It feels good to login to a specific server and have all of your friends there. It's a great sense of community and with good admins to kick and ban appropriately. I will not be purchasing MW2 because of this.
w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By w00master
@PowerSerj:  Definitely understand what you're saying, but what do you say to those "casual pc gamer" folks then? There are a lot more than the clan/hardcore pc gamer. Also, to tell them to "just get a console," doesn't that hurt your cause as well?  Don't you want PC gaming to thrive?  Whether the hardcore pc gamer likes it or not, the casual pc gamer is essential in continuing the greatness that is PC gaming.

Still, I really feel for you guys. Really really do. It's totally shitty that they took this away from you guys.
sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By sdauz
@Hannibal: ohh great ns attitude, go play on a console where matchmaking takes 5 mins as opposed to clicking on a server and getting in and playing in like 5 seconds, great!...if u dont care about pc games, dont give ur 2 cents on a pc discussion
Maldraek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Maldraek

Who cares?

bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By bread
I guess this means the end of moded servers, custom maps and a good good dedi server here in scandinavia where I won't lag... that just sucks... Why I liked the cod4 PC version better than the console version exept for the mouse and keyboard was the moded servers I mean playing on a server without martydom still rocks! 

@Heartagram said:
"These are the same idiots that flipped out over LAN support in Starcraft 2 "
Just goes to show that you don't get PC gaming.
dr_zox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By dr_zox

I live in NZ, Finding Dedicated servers with good ping is a major, With games like Halo 3 for my xbox is just chooses any old server and ping and be ridiculsly high. I am worried about being able to play with good latency.
mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By mhkjtha
@Vinchenzo said:
" If if I did plan on playing MW2 on a computer, which I do not, I enjoy matchmaking better than finding servers. It's so much easier! Stupid whining bitches. "
Shut the fuck up you piece of shit scrub.
Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
@Vinchenzo said:
It's about quality. With servers you can find games with whatever rules or mods you want. And you can add them to your favorites so you never have to look for them all the time everytime you start the game up.  No need to go around adding random people to your friend's list so that you can follow them everywhere.

And with the matchmaking system, the host always has the advantage over the other players in the room because it's his connection you're playing on. Sucks for you guys, unless you're the host  LOL
eznark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#228  Edited By eznark

It is what it is.  I certainly won't be purchasing Infinity Ward games any longer.  Aside from superior performance, PC games offer a more customizable experience and the ability to form cohesive server based communitites.  Infinity Ward killed this.  They claim it's to help those who can't navigate a server list (how did that individual even turn on their PC?) but it's to control the market.  They want to force DLC content as best they can, it's not possible when players controls the server rotation.

But like others have said, posing this question on a site full of console players accomplishes nothing (except providing some laughs for me).

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Andorski
@Vinchenzo said:
Yeah... looking at a list and clicking on a server with a low listed ping time is such a fucking hassle. /sarcasm
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#230  Edited By Diamond
@sdauz said:
 @Hannibal: ohh great ns attitude, go play on a console where matchmaking takes 5 mins as opposed to clicking on a server and getting in and playing in like 5 seconds, great!...if u dont care about pc games, dont give ur 2 cents on a pc discussion
I don't know if you noticed, but Brad asked the opinion of Giant Bomb readers.  Sorry if you're not allowed to dominate the discussion, but that's just the way it is.
microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By microshock
@MAN_FLANNEL said:

"

@Vinchenzo said:

"Why are you thanking him? Now you can slap your Xbot cocks together in mid-air? He's a moron. He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and the only PC he was able to touch is the one his mom told him to get a cooking recipe from.
mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By mhkjtha
@w00master: There is no PC Gamer who isn't comfortable with server browsing.
w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By w00master
@Fuzz_Butt said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
It's about quality. With servers you can find games with whatever rules or mods you want. And you can add them to your favorites so you never have to look for them all the time everytime you start the game up.  No need to go around adding random people to your friend's list so that you can follow them everywhere.  And with the matchmaking system, the host always has the advantage over the other players in the room because it's his connection you're playing on. Sucks for you guys, unless you're the host  LOL "
Definitely agree with you here. However, again I bring up the typical everyday pc gamer (read: not a hardcore pc gamer), with *most* of these folks, server lists/clans/mods are extremely foreign to these peeps. With matchmaking, all they have to do is click and their in the game. I have to imagine that the casual pc gamer greatly outnumber the hardcore/clan-based pc gamer.

Still...  it is utter crap that they're removing dedicated servers, but beyond the business reasons... I have to imagine this is something that IW was trying to addresss.
MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#234  Edited By MildMolasses

While I understand why people are upset by this, I also think that activision and infinity ward are allowed to do whatever they see fit in order to best protect their product. If potential customers are happy with this then the only thing to do is not play this game. 

Don't sign petitions. Don't get angry on message boards. Just don't play it. Completely ignoring the game will do more to show them that the player base isn't happy with the direction they've taken then profanity and petitions ever will. 

Also, don't be one of those people who will just pirate it instead, because that accomplishes nothing
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#235  Edited By lordofultima

Never enjoyed hunting for servers in the first place, let alone getting the ip read-out over a voice chat client and having to type it in manually. Bleh.

noobeffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By noobeffect
@TheJollyRajah: It's PC players' fault for expecting IW to do what they've been doing since the original Call of Duty? So, if IW just announced that MW3 would be an RTS-MMO with subscriptions and everyone started complaining about it, you would simply say "OH YEAH, LOL AT THOSE WHO EXPECTED MW3 TO BE A FPS, DON'T EXPECT IW TO DO LOGICAL THINGS, ARROGANT GAMING AUDIENCE WHO EXPECT THINGS." If you're going to be that closed minded about it and run your mouth like some bitter idiot who took the claims of a few PC gamers way too seriously, then read your post again because it's not PC gamers who are being ignorant in this discussion.
w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By w00master
@mhkjtha: I'm not saying that "server browsing" is a tough concept.  I'm talking about the user experience. I think this is part of the "angle of attack" for the IW team. They were trying to streamline the MP process.

Please recognize that I'm trying to see both sides of the issue.  I'm primarily on the side that removing dedicated servers was STOOPID, but I do understand some of the reasons why IW did what they did.
PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By PowerSerj
@w00master said:
" @PowerSerj:  Definitely understand what you're saying, but what do you say to those "casual pc gamer" folks then? There are a lot more than the clan/hardcore pc gamer. Also, to tell them to "just get a console," doesn't that hurt your cause as well?  Don't you want PC gaming to thrive?  Whether the hardcore pc gamer likes it or not, the casual pc gamer is essential in continuing the greatness that is PC gaming. Still, I really feel for you guys. Really really do. It's totally shitty that they took this away from you guys. "
Another point is, is that it really isn't a complicated system at all, seeing as how it has been the norm for PC FPSs for a long enough time. This would have happened a long time ago had it really been a problem. The influx of casual gamers probably has little to do with it, also, seeing as how much more attractive a console is to someone who is would be in the dark about these things.
mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By mhkjtha
@w00master: Once again there is no PC Gamer who isn't comfortable with server browsing.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By RsistncE

Way too many stupid comments from console gamers here to even bother explaining why removing dedicated servers is essentially removing the heart of online PC games.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By w00master
@PowerSerj said:
" @w00master said:
" @PowerSerj:  Definitely understand what you're saying, but what do you say to those "casual pc gamer" folks then? There are a lot more than the clan/hardcore pc gamer. Also, to tell them to "just get a console," doesn't that hurt your cause as well?  Don't you want PC gaming to thrive?  Whether the hardcore pc gamer likes it or not, the casual pc gamer is essential in continuing the greatness that is PC gaming. Still, I really feel for you guys. Really really do. It's totally shitty that they took this away from you guys. "
Another point is, is that it really isn't a complicated system at all, seeing as how it has been the norm for PC FPSs for a long enough time. This would have happened a long time ago had it really been a problem. The influx of casual gamers probably has little to do with it, also, seeing as how much more attractive a console is to someone who is would be in the dark about these things. "
True. It isn't complicated. My point was only that the user experience of server lists ain't that hot.  *shrugs* still sucks ass that IW is doin' this.
Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Contra
@MildMolasses: 

Well I signed.  But I also sent them an email explaining why I'm not buying it; and why their reasoning in their messages isn't true for me.
I basically said I play for the mods, custom game types, loosley connected communities, clans with strict rules, and all the other things they are removing.
I have done since Unreal Tournament (1999)
Without this, the game holds no interest for me.
noobeffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By noobeffect
@w00master: When was the last time you heard a "casual" PC gamer express the urge for matchmaking? Really?
w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By w00master
@mhkjtha said:
" @w00master: Once again there is no PC Gamer who isn't comfortable with server browsing. "
Once again, you're not understanding my point. LOL. Dude, not tryin' to get into a fight here..  just tryin' to see both sides.

It's not about it "being hard." It's about user experience.   Again (removing your bias from this debate), what's a better user experience:

1.) Being presented with a list of servers.

2.) Clicking Multiplayer and done.

Again, I'm really on your side dude...  I still think it's shitty that dedicated servers are gone... just trying to see both sides.
microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By microshock
@w00master said:
" @mhkjtha said:
" @w00master: Once again there is no PC Gamer who isn't comfortable with server browsing. "
Once again, you're not understanding my point. LOL. Dude, not tryin' to get into a fight here..  just tryin' to see both sides.  It's not about it "being hard." It's about user experience.   Again (removing your bias from this debate), what's a better user experience:  1.) Being presented with a list of servers.  2.) Clicking Multiplayer and done.  Again, I'm really on your side dude...  I still think it's shitty that dedicated servers are gone... just trying to see both sides. "
People playing on the PC don't give a shit about user experience. And finding a server is much better because then you can favorite them and play it anytime you get back instead of worthless matchmaking.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Cheapoz

I would wager that despite the PC sales being very marginal that the majority of those people know what a server list is. 

No one WANTS matchmaking. Won't stop IW/Activision from putting it in.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By w00master
@noobeffect said:
" @w00master: When was the last time you heard a "casual" PC gamer express the urge for matchmaking? Really? "
You won't. I'm not claiming that.  What I am talking about is a purely user experience.  that's all.  It's the difference between getting the original Doom to work via the Internets (TM), something I did back in the day, and the way it is now where you just jump in a game.  That's all. 

I honestly believe this is one of the things that IW was trying to address.  Did they do this correctly?  Hell no.  They should have kept the dedicated server option in there.  I'm just saying that they were over-thinking this whole thing and ended up fucking themselves in the end.
Lostconfused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Lostconfused

This is exactly what Jeff Gertsmanm predicted when he said activision will find a way to charge for DLC map packs for pc. Except Activision got just a bit more than what it wanted, it also killed the franchise on PC in on fell swoop.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By w00master
@Microshock said:
" @w00master said:
" @mhkjtha said:
Once again, you're not understanding my point. LOL. Dude, not tryin' to get into a fight here..  just tryin' to see both sides.  It's not about it "being hard." It's about user experience.   Again (removing your bias from this debate), what's a better user experience:  1.) Being presented with a list of servers.  2.) Clicking Multiplayer and done.  Again, I'm really on your side dude...  I still think it's shitty that dedicated servers are gone... just trying to see both sides. "
People playing on the PC don't give a shit about user experience. And finding a server is much better because then you can favorite them and play it anytime you get back instead of worthless matchmaking. "
Perhaps not, but I bet when IW was overthinking this... that's one of things they were tryin' to address.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#250  Edited By TheJollyRajah
@noobeffect: Yeah, actually it is. It's their game, they can do whatever they want. If you don't want it, vote with your money, but complaining about it makes PC gamers look pathetic.