• 52 results
Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dogma

Today Replay Games and Al Lowe announced that they will use Kickstarter to fund their remake of the original Leisure Suit Laryy game! Patrick made a news article about this a while back.

http://www.giantbomb.com/leisure-suit-larry/62-450/replay-games-acquires-leisure-suit-larry-remakes-n-sequels-en-route/35-518651/?

Now it seems like they want to use Kickstarter instead of going aorund to publishers to get money to make it. I bet it's a hard game to convince a big publisher to fund because of it's raunchy nature. Adventure games seem to be returning in a big fashion. it's not just the genre itself but it's the people that originaly worked with the games. I think it's super cool. First I squeled loud! Then I realized that it was only a remake. BUT then I saw that they have the goal to reamake all of the games and got hyped again! And finally... they really want to do a whole new game, mabey the infamous fourth one! And that ...I can't tell you how excited I am for that possibility. The Leisure Suit Larry games out some of my favorite adventure games from my Amiga and PC days so this is really neat stuff.

But as I first said. This is only a Kickstarter for the remake of the first game. That's cool and all but for me it's more about the possibility of 5 to 7 and a brand new one that is really exciting.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1451923705/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again

EDIT: Crap...I fucked up the headline. Is there a way to change that?

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hot_Karl

Let's not kid ourselves because I doubt I'd use it before it expires, but damn it, I want that Leisure Suit Larry condom.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

damn this april foolery is making my head hurt

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hot_Karl

@SarjuTheRapper said:

It's April 2nd though!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Funkydupe

I kind of love Kickstarter.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrockNRolla

More advertising for bad ideas. Great.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funkydupe

@BrockNRolla: You're a bad idea.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Nothing against the game, but I'm getting a tiny bit tired of this kickstarting nonsense.
Every ancient dev dude or kid with a idea is crawling out of their holes to fund their projects.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

this is the second time they're remaking that game...

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Nothing against the game, but I'm getting a tiny bit tired of this kickstarting nonsense. Every ancient dev dude or kid with a idea is crawling out of their holes to fund their projects.

While I can agree that it is starting to take off a bit too much, I do not agree that it is nonsense to help people build video games. I will however try my best not to link more projects.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Funkydupe said:

@BrockNRolla: You're a bad idea.

From what my parents have told me, I wasn't an idea at all, but rather quite a surprise.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dogma

@Funkydupe said:

I kind of love Kickstarter.

I kind of do too...

It's makes me really happy for the industry to follow these campaigns. It made me really happy that Takedown managed to get passed it's goal yesterday even though I myself is not someone that want's to play that kind of game BUT I do recognize it as an lost art so to say.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Funkydupe

@Dogma: As a gamer it strikes close to home helping games resembling old titles I used to play.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#14  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Backed!

I wish I could afford to get in on the beta for this one. The rewards seem a little subpar for the amount donated, but it's great to see Al Lowe back at the helm of a Leisure Suit Larry game and I'll support it as much as I can.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

@VinceNotVance said:

@SarjuTheRapper said:

It's April 2nd though!

UGH MY HEAD

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Dagbiker

Great, After the last Leisure Suite Larry im looking foreword to this.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funkydupe

@SarjuTheRapper: :D too much of the funny water.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#18  Edited By donutfever

need out help

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Funkydupe: I just hope this will end up good and that it doesn't just became the monthly cool thing to do in the gaming scene.
Nothing more, nothing less.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By zeforgotten

Kinda sad to see that it's just a remake and not a new one (but still point&click and not dumb retarded moron-whatever-adventure-bullshit-crap-shit-tits). 

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#21  Edited By Kidavenger

$500,000 seems like a bit much to recreate an existing game, an extremely simple one at that.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By BlackLagoon

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Nothing against the game, but I'm getting a tiny bit tired of this kickstarting nonsense. Every ancient dev dude or kid with a idea is crawling out of their holes to fund their projects.

While certainly, people should try to keep their expectations in check and be mindful that sooner or later one of these projects will end up disappointing them... It basically boils down to that these devs want to create games, and their fans are willing to pay money to play them. How is that nonsense? Are you saying that they should ignore this if modern publishers don't recognize the demand just because you find Kickstarter annoying or something?

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dogma

@Dagbiker said:

Great, After the last Leisure Suite Larry im looking foreword to this.

Ain't that the truth. The last one was just horrible. Magna Cum Laude at least had some decent design but the last one looked fucking atrocious!

The seventh game still looks good but I can imagine that it may look a bit low res today. I think there is no complete collection out or that works on newer PC plattforms.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

@Funkydupe said:

@SarjuTheRapper: :D too much of the funny water.

yeah, they blindsided me immensely! the game will probably be fine though. hopefully

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Funkydupe

@Kidavenger: I liked some of the first Larry games but I can actually do without another.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dogma

@ZeForgotten said:

Kinda sad to see that it's just a remake and not a new one (but still point&click and not dumb retarded moron-whatever-adventure-bullshit-crap-shit-tits).

I agree with you. I first flipped out when I heard the four words Leisure Suit Larry & Kickstarter. But when I understood it was only a remake I clamed myself. It still cool but what I really want is a new game.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Funkydupe

It is sad what happened to Syndicate for example. Such a loved game when it came out, and then recently they released such a terrible game and new generations will know Syndicate as crap. It is a dangerous path to revive the old spirits.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I think it's a great idea. If developers have good ideas that publishers don't want to risk, but the fans are willing to donate the money to fund the game.. Why not?

I put up money for Wasteland, more as a gesture than because I really care about the game. Hopefully some of these projects will help show some of these big publishers, that there's still a big market for old school point & clicks or tactical RPG's, etc.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Dogma said:

Ain't that the truth. The last one was just horrible. Magna Cum Laude at least had some decent design but the last one looked fucking atrocious!

At least it gave us this:

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#30  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, this is up there with Tex Murphy on the "Yeah, I think I'm good not supporting this" totem pole. Old adventure games are old and I have trouble enough getting through Telltale's bite-sized stuff without getting bored.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackLagoon said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

While certainly, people should try to keep their expectations in check and be mindful that sooner or later one of these projects will end up disappointing them... It basically boils down to that these devs want to create games, and their fans are willing to pay money to play them. How is that nonsense? Are you saying that they should ignore this if modern publishers don't recognize the demand just because you find Kickstarter annoying or something?

Oh not at all, its not about me.
Like I said in another reply, I'm afraid this will end up hurting the community sooner or later and since 'gamers' are a silly crowd to begin with (usually taking things out of context, be it justified or not) and will not be satisfied most of the time no matter how hard a developer tries.

What I meant with 'nonsense' is seeing this kickstarter thing grow from a cool new idea to a daily idea from many sources.
If it ends up working, hey more power to them and the gamers who believed in it, but knowing how the business works I'm just hesitant to believe just yet.

Never said anyone (devs or gamers) should ignore the idea, as you hopefully now understand from the above text.

@WinterSnowblind: Yep, more power to them, just hoping its gonna end up well.
I hope no developer betrays the gamers trust, so to speak.
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#32  Edited By Slag

A Kickstarter bubble bursting seems imminent.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By helios1337

I really wish this was a kickstarter for Leisure Suit Larry 4 and not for a remake of the original. That also seems like a decent amount of cash for a remake of a short adventure game from the 80s.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pink_o_mat

The game was interesting at a certain point in time, but I don't think it holds up from a design standpoint. It was funny, but it was a horrible adventure game.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Cool! I was too young to play the Leisure Suit Larry games, but I certainly heard about them in InterAction. Yeah, I was a subscriber.

I'm starting to see a weird thing now where people are rebelling against this Kickstarter trend, like the influx of game ideas is somehow a great burden to them. I think it's pretty exciting.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#36  Edited By Grumbel

A little disappointing that it's just a remake of the original, not a new game, especially considering that the original already had a full 256 color VGA remake with cartoon graphics back in the day. This one doesn't look all that different. Either way, it would be nice to see some life in Larry again, it's a kind of game from a time back when games could cover topics a little broader then just two military factions shooting each other.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Humanity

As long as theres really awkward FMV nudie scenes made to look like they're all grainy from the 80's then I'm in!

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BionicRadd

Reading the kickstarter, it sounds like a new game using the basic ideas of the original game. New graphics, fully voiced and I am sure the mechanics will undergo some changes as they start digging into it. If I had to guess, I'd wager that if this gets made, it will end up being a new game retelling the story of the original game. It definitely does not sound like they just want to slap a shiny coat of paint on the original code.

I am pretty stoked at the idea of it being available on mobile devices.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people seriously like Leisure Suit Larry?

I guess what I'm asking is, do retards of such unimaginable magnitude actually exist?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zeforgotten
@James_Giant_Peach said:

I guess what I'm asking is, do retards of such unimaginable magnitude actually exist?

Yes, there are more people like you out there
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#41  Edited By Grumbel
@James_Giant_Peach said:

Have you ever actually played the games (the good old ones, not the recent trash) or are you basing your judgment just on your own ignorance?
jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jerseyscum

@Grumbel said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Have you ever actually played the games (the good old ones, not the recent trash) or are you basing your judgment just on your own ignorance?

I managed to get my dirty underage hands on some of the games YEARS ago at a Gamestop. The Al Lowe games are funny and raunchy as hell.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By CountRockula

I laughed at the part of the video where he opened the door labeled "Sierra".

Then I cried.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By cornbredx

I dont want a remake of the original. Another thing that concerns me here, we dont need a repeat of the terrible writing that is the last couple Leisure Suit Larry games. I would need something in writing that says if they go retarded pop culture garbage not funny writing again I get my money back.

I'm all for original Leisure Suit Larry, though. I love me some classics. I gotta research this some more when I get off work.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By damswedon

The rewards descriptions are more funny than anything in Box Office Bust.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By salarn

No thanks.

I never really found LSL's humor to be funny enough to carry a full length game. I did laugh at the musical number from LSL:MCL, too bad they cancled the follow up game I was working on.

TwoSe7enFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoSe7enFive

Hey you guys, you know that site GiantBomb? Well, you can look up a person and see what games they have worked on. So those people saying I'm not going to back this cause Box Office Bust and MCL were trash should know that Al did not work on these games. He worked on 1,2.3,5,6 and love for sail. This project is to remake 1 and it was very funny and raunchy. If you have 15 dollars to spare you should totally back this project.

http://kck.st/LeisureSuitLarry

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Branthog

I'm surprised this is still living in General. Mods keep moving Kickstarter threads to the KS forum that nobody reads.

Anyway, I was like one of the first dozen people to chip in a few bucks on this. I only vaguely remember the game and the style doesn't really hold up to the modern age (the same way Duke Nukem humor fails). However, for $15, I'm willing to chip in to get a nice little experience and stroll down mammary lane again.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Castro

I think that all the people complaining about this because the "last two Leisure Suit Larry games" were horrible are amusing. Kids these days.

Also, the Kickstarter page seems to indicate that Josh Mandel will be involved so I suspect that there will be infinitely more hilarious dialogue than the original or the VGA remake. It should be money well spent.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#50  Edited By LordAndrew
@Branthog: Looks like only two were moved to the kickstarter forum. The rest were either born in that forum or are still floating around on the various other boards where I'll never be able to find them again until someone makes a new reply.