What are some JRPGs with a character centric story?

• 79 results
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By JJWeatherman

Lost Odyssey was pretty rad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel
@Red said:
" Most of what has been mentioned (besides the idiots who recommended Final Fantasy XII), although I'd also like to throw in The World Ends With You and both Golden Sun games. Incredibly memorable characters, even though Golden Sun's may not develop quite as much as TWEWY's. "
Was there any reason to refer to people that recommended FFXII as idiots?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By Jeust

Nobody mentioned FFVII? 

The game was inspired by many great rpgs that preceded it, but i you can stand blocky 3D graphics, it has a nice story, with some impactful moments, and one of the most memorable bosses of any rpg: Sephirot. 

Besides it, every shin megami tensei game, except the mmo, have a appeling and developed background. Games like Devil Sumoner, Nocturne, Persona (1 &2) and Digital Devil Saga. 

Also you can experiment Batman Arkham Asylum, as though it is not trully an rpg, it is a game that has rpg elements, and as a story that blends amazingly well with the pacing. It is disturbing, scary, emotional, interesting... i could go on and on and on.  It's a love letter from "Bats" to the world. 

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Red
@Hailinel: Yes. Yes there was.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Hailinel
@Red said:
" @Hailinel: Yes. Yes there was. "
Well, what was it, you jackass?
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Cornman89

@Jeust: Good recommendation. I always liked Cloud, deconstruction of the "cold-hearted merc" trope that he was. Got kinda dickish in Advent Children, though (but I don't like to talk about Advent Children).

Though, to answer your question, I can think of some very compelling reasons why a person might refrain from mentioning Final Fantasy VII on an online gaming forum.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By Jeust
@Cornman89:  

Thanks! I like him also, him and sephirot, as the story that surrounds them is very interesting. 

hehehe me too, but no rpg list is complete without final fantasy VII.
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Nasar7

Lots of good recommendations in this thread. Another vote for FFIX as its not getting nearly enough love here. I'll also add SaGa Frontier 2 for PSX and Odin Sphere for PS2.    

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#59  Edited By gla55jAw
@Jeust said:
"Nobody mentioned FFVII?  The game was inspired by many great rpgs that preceded it, but i you can stand blocky 3D graphics, it has a nice story, with some impactful moments, and one of the most memorable bosses of any rpg: Sephirot.  Besides it, every shin megami tensei game, except the mmo, have a appeling and developed background. Games like Devil Sumoner, Nocturne, Persona (1 &2) and Digital Devil Saga.  Also you can experiment Batman Arkham Asylum, as though it is not trully an rpg, it is a game that has rpg elements, and as a story that blends amazingly well with the pacing. It is disturbing, scary, emotional, interesting... i could go on and on and on.  It's a love letter from "Bats" to the world.  "

I probably should have meantioned FFVII, but at this point if your a fan of JRPGs you probably have played FFVII already. But I will second that. JB16, if you havn't played Final Fantasy VII I highly recommend it along with the other's I said. I'm currently playing through FFVII for maybe the 15th time? No joke. I find there is no RPG or even FF that I have played through as many times and still enjoy. VIII comes close, but I probably only have played through most of it 5 or so times. But VII does indeed have very great charcter development. 

Also I wanted to say that FF X has one of the best battle systems. The ability to swtich in and out all of your characters during battle is awesome.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Red
@Hailinel: If someone were to ask about what are some good super hero movies and someone else answered "Batman and Robin" he would be an idiot. 
Recommending Final Fantasy XII over so many better, deeper, more original, and less painful games is just idiocy.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ryanwho
@Red said:
" @Hailinel: If someone were to ask about what are some good super hero movies and someone else answered "Batman and Robin" he would be an idiot. 
Recommending Final Fantasy XII over so many better, deeper, more original, and less painful games is just idiocy. "
People aren't recommending games over other games. Read the OP, this is a thread to 'list some games that x' not 'what is the best game that x'. This isn't a contest little boy, stop trying to start fights because FFXII's gambit system revealed how binary and simplistic your manual inputs in RPGs tend to be by mapping them to simple switch commands. Its a fine game plenty of people enjoy for various reasons. Its no Dragonball Z: Buu's Fury for sure, but then what is?
sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By sfighter21

I think I saw only one person recommend Rogue Galaxy(PS2).  Its a pretty good JRPG that meets the character centric requirement...

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By shirogane

Havn't played it myself, but i heard Tales of the Abyss is quite good? Not sure how much character development it has though...

Star Ocean 3 and 4 were quite good, 3 up until that one point where everything just goes whacked. SO4, while some people hated it, is currently my favourite 360 game. And there's a fair bit of character stuff as well, if you make the effort to get all the endings and stuff. Don't touch the game if you're an achievement whore though, damn some of those are insane.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By YoThatLimp

Saga Frontier series for ps1

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Cornman89
@Shirogane said:

"Havn't played it myself, but i heard Tales of the Abyss is quite good? Not sure how much character development it has though..."

Argh! Can't believe I forgot this one. Tales of the Abyss is very satisfying in terms of character arc, especially that of the protagonist, Luke. I can't recommend this game enough.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Red
@ryanwho: Well, little boy, Final Fantasy XII was mentioned and discussed in this thread long before there was any talk of Final Fantasy IX. 
It'd be kinda like telling someone to watch Batman Begins, but then forgetting to tell them to watch The Dark Knight. When making a list, the best things should always be recommended first, not just things that classify as a game asked. 
Say if I asked for someone to recommend me a platformer, and then Bubsy 3d was one of the first replies I got. 
Yeah, it's a platformer, but is it really a game good enough to recommend?
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By atejas

Most jRPGs tend to be character centric, which is sad because their characters tend to be more cliched.
More wRPGs tend to be setting centric, which is sad because their settings tend to be more cliched.

evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By evreche
@Red said:
"Most of what has been mentioned (besides the idiots who recommended Final Fantasy XII), although I'd also like to throw in The World Ends With You and both Golden Sun games. Incredibly memorable characters, even though Golden Sun's may not develop quite as much as TWEWY's. "

I just wanted to point something out to everybody on this thread. When somebody starts by name calling or in better terms referring to the ad hominem argument then they should be ignored.  

If you don't like FFXII state some reasons and move on. No need to resort to the lowest common denominator. 

FFXII is great because it has a great story and the combat system made you think through your decisions in terms of priority which is something every RPGer does in every game so in a way FFXII just speeds up the combat and you can make individual decisions as the situation dictates.
evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By evreche
@Red said:
" @ryanwho: Well, little boy, Final Fantasy XII was mentioned and discussed in this thread long before there was any talk of Final Fantasy IX. 
Again, see the above statement.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By PureRok
@Hailinel said:
" @Wipeout said:
" If it's not too obvious, FFX and FFXII.  "Twelve" is more tolerable in my opinion, as going back to "ten" recently, I discovered I hold no nostalgia for random battles.  I also hold another vote for Lost Odyssey.  Other than those titles, I have difficulty finding any enjoyment out of recent typical JRPG's. "
FFXII is not really character-centric.  The game is about a war and doesn't put specific focus on any particular character, even if Vaan is quote-unquote "the lead." "
Didn't they say in an interview that Vaan was added later since the real main character (the older dude, can't remember his name) was supposedly too old for their target audience to empathize with? This is probably why he feels like an after thought and nothing really has to do with him at all.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By Venatio

Im not really an extreme JRPG player, I prefer the Western RPGs but the Persona games are great 

And SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Lost Odyssey

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#72  Edited By Yummylee

Probably mentioned a few dozen times by now but, Tales of Symphonia for the gamecube. The better Tales game!...imo
Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Mistzero

FF12 is good  could try shadow hearts and persona 4 and if your gonna play ps1 games i recommend FF9 holds up really well still and legend of dragoon 

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#74  Edited By gla55jAw
@sfighter21 said:
"I think I saw only one person recommend Rogue Galaxy(PS2).  Its a pretty good JRPG that meets the character centric requirement... "

I loved Rogue Galaxy. When I think of that game though, I think of leveling up my weapons much more than I think about the characters.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Hailinel
@Red said:
" @ryanwho: Well, little boy, Final Fantasy XII was mentioned and discussed in this thread long before there was any talk of Final Fantasy IX. It'd be kinda like telling someone to watch Batman Begins, but then forgetting to tell them to watch The Dark Knight. When making a list, the best things should always be recommended first, not just things that classify as a game asked. Say if I asked for someone to recommend me a platformer, and then Bubsy 3d was one of the first replies I got. Yeah, it's a platformer, but is it really a game good enough to recommend? "
Or you could have just stayed out of this conversation entirely instead of stomping in an acting like a douche.  I enjoyed FFXII, and this is after I had absolutely no expectations for the game after playing through the abysmal demo that came bundled with Dragon Quest VIII.  It's a fantastic game and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good PS2 JRPG.  In no way does this qualify me as being an idiot.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ryanwho

I hated the demo, too. Not sure what they tweaked that made me love the same thing later. I guess maybe discovering the bar that speeds up combat helped. It has issues, though, like a lot of games. I personally can't understand the appeal of the barely iterative Tales series. Like, at all. They had 5 games in one year in 07, which is fucking baffling considering how little the games change each time. That doesn't make people who like playing essentially the same game over and over idiots. Maybe just manic depressive.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Red
@Hailinel: The OP asked for a game with minimal grinding and was more focused on story than combat. Go ahead and say that Final Fantasy XII is a good game (you are wrong), but it puts its remarkably boring combat system ahead of its Star Wars rip-off characters and plot. Not only does the combat take precedence over the story in FF12, but it creates a huge disconnect between the characters with it. The gambit system lets you completely forget about the characters battling, and only see it as a game. CRPGs get away with that disconnect and lack of fully direct management because in them, you usually play as a main character that is supposedly you, and someone who you have full control over. 

Saying Final Fantasy XII is a good game makes you crazy. 
Saying it's a good JRPG with a character-centric story makes you an idiot. 

And calling you an idiot makes me a jerk.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By demontium
@JB16: The world ends with you is one of my fav. JRPGs, find someone with a DS and that game.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Hailinel
@Red said:
"And calling you an idiot makes me a jerk. "
That's the only thing you got right.