#101 Posted by IBurningStar (2161 posts) -

The new design is total shit. I can't think of a better word for it other than shit. The "Classic" view is a bit better, though. Why they don't just use that as the standard view mode is beyond me. The page is also very bland looking. I miss the pink and green everywhere.

#102 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4686 posts) -

I like it, actually. I heard all the whinging and expected to hate it, but it's cool.

#103 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

As someone who always finds himself carefully selecting stories for fear of wasting my time and having to click back and re-choose one, I think the sidebar idea is wonderful.

However, Times New Roman?  Seriously?  c'mon now.  Get a real font, ffs.

#104 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

Wow! That's terrible! There's no way that's going to last!

#105 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

They went way too far with the "less is more" mentality.

#106 Posted by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

I've never gone to Kotaku except once or twice, and that was only to follow the progression of a single story. But having gone there just now to check it out. It's horrendous. I can only view one story at a time? They claimed that this was to have articles not get buried, but ironically since you're only posting a single one, it means articles will get buried faster! They changed the look of their layout and they didn't change that ugly-as-sin green logo of theirs?

Funnily enough I'm working on a project for my web design class. And one part is to list 4 badly designed sites. I think I need to edit that.

#107 Posted by VetleNM (84 posts) -

That is probably one of the worst redesigns I've seen in a while. It loads so slow on my netbook, and the whole site feels so incredibly cramped. It's a good thing I stopped reading Kotaku a long time ago. I hope this is just another nail in their coffin.

#108 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -

Oh man. Complete. Fucking. Rubbish.

#109 Posted by MegaGoat (219 posts) -

They could only ever make shit designs, because the can only make shit decisions
Also, all the "star commenters" are gay

#110 Posted by Actionjim (2 posts) -

Terrible, way to ruin Kotaku.

#111 Posted by Maluvin (264 posts) -

It was not a good redesign in my opinion.   I mean just looking at it is an unpleasant experience.

#112 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Unfortunately it's still kotaku so unfortunately no design past or present is going to install a caliber of class or install any real reason to go there

#113 Posted by ryeguy489 (117 posts) -

Garbage

#114 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

You know somethings up when the first picture you see on there is some grown dude eying some little kid. 

#115 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

This poll needs an option for "don't really care/don't go to kotaku."

#116 Posted by Nikral (288 posts) -

I read Kotaku everyday but didn't know they even changed their layout.....GOOGLE READER FTW!  (I just looked - the new layout is bleh seems pretty hard to just glance over stuff.)

#117 Posted by Blair (2502 posts) -

Just awful.

#118 Posted by MonetaryDread (2007 posts) -

Well, looks like I am never going back to Kotaku. That layout is garbage.

#119 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

its been out for awhile on my beloved car blog jalopnik seems it was the guinea pig while they tested things out its alright, i think its happening to all the gawker/kotaku type sites.

#120 Edited by ProfessorEss (7307 posts) -
@Chokobo said:

"However, Times New Roman?  Seriously?  c'mon now.  Get a real font, ffs. "

You watch that tone when yer talkin about TNR.
That's one of the master fonts son.

As far as the site goes.... m'eh, I was indifferent to it's design before and I remain pretty indifferent about this one.
#121 Posted by ApertureSilence (1156 posts) -

As I complained on Twitter already, wedging the article list between the scrollable area and the browser scrollbar is terribly disorienting.  Especially egregious considering the new layout requires way more scrolling; prioritizing fluff images over content.  

I would like to see some eye-tracking results for this.

#122 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

If they do this to Fleshbot I'm really gonna get angry. :(

#123 Posted by Bane (396 posts) -

There's a lot of hate for this new design, but I have to say I like it a lot. I don't read Kotaku, but the sites in their network I do read (Gizmodo, io9, Jalopnik, Lifehacker) have changed to the new design as well. It's a much cleaner and easier design to navigate in my opinion.

#124 Posted by zitosilva (1839 posts) -

I don't like the new look at all. Then again, bad looks is far from being the worst thing about Kotaku.

#125 Edited by MachoFantastico (4584 posts) -

Kotaku as been awful for a while now as a website, at least for what I enjoy from a gaming site. The new redesign isn't helping, it looks terrible, thought my browser was broke at first.  

Never forgive Kotaku for banning me because I disagreed with an article they wrote, wouldn't have bothered me if I'd deserved it by being offensive or rude but I gave a fair and kind response to an article they wrote a year back and then WHAM! banned. Pathetic. 

#126 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

Honestly, it looks terrible, it might be easier to navigate and click what you want but with the multitude of news stories, interviews, live blogs, announcements etc they do on that site, it's harder to read on that ONE news story because it's sandwiched in-between crap you don't give a shit about

#127 Edited by AndrewB (7564 posts) -

I think it's probably the worst site redesign I can remember seeing simply for the fact that it sacrifices function for beauty, and even then, it doesn't look spectacular. The color scheme is weird, especially given that they didn't change the bright green logo. The only part that really matters is that there's no longer a blog-ish way to scroll through stories and get little snippits on what they might be about, leaving it up to the joke-ish titles to fill you in on article content, which is not ideal. Not too big of a deal for me, however, since I visit usually only via the RSS feed (which Gawker limits anyway to get you to go to their site for the page views, but I can understand the need for that). 

Hmmm, my bad. My hasty dismissal meant I missed the blog layout style button. At least there's an option, and at least that fixes one of my problems with the layout.

#128 Edited by Impossibilium (684 posts) -

I clicked on the next post link under the main article and it took me to io9's site with no navigation route back to Kotaku.

That was enough to confuse me and it only took one click. If you need instructions on how to navigate your site in 2011 then it's already failed.

#129 Posted by deanimator (13 posts) -

I'm not visiting that site again unless they change their layout back.  Their new layout doesn't even fit in my internet window unless I blow it up to fullscreen.

#130 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -
@Impossibilium said:
" I clicked on the next post link under the main article and it took me to io9's site with no navigation route back to Kotaku.  That was enough to confuse me and it only took one click. If you need instructions on how to navigate your site in 2011 then it's already failed. "
Yes.
#131 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

It looked like shit before, and it still looks like shit.

#132 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I've never been to Kotaku before, so I don't really have an opinion.

#133 Posted by yakov456 (1901 posts) -

Didn't like it on Jalopnik, don't like it on Kotaku.

#134 Posted by Hao_Kaiser (31 posts) -

Hey, everybody! Look, now Kotaku is even less readable!    

#135 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

I like it only because so many people hate it. Fuck that place. Nobody should visit there. Nobody.
#136 Posted by EchoForge (154 posts) -

Awful, awful. Deleted it from my history list. Until news breaks that they break and go back to the old format, it's off to other newz sites for me.
#137 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Myeh. 

I'm still going to look through their stuff but man... 

Myeh.

#138 Posted by pigmartyr (211 posts) -

I'll be using the version @ joystiq.com from now on.

#139 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

YO I HEAR YOU LIKED 1 PICTURE PER PAGE SO WE PUT 2 ARTICLE PER PAGE COOL?

#140 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Hate it.

#141 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Well, it makes me pretty much never want to go there at all, even though I only go there once every two weeks if there is a news story there that's actually important that isn't covered by GiantBomb or the GiantBomb forums.

#142 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Don't usually browse Kotaku. Personally, I like it because it doesnt look like a cluttered mess of a site with a thousand pop ups whenever I stumble there from google searches.

#143 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

It is awful. Plain and simple. 

#144 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Nooooooooo! Why Kotaku whyyyyyyyyy T_T

#145 Posted by JoMu (117 posts) -

Reading game sites at work is a huge time waster for me. Thanks to Kotaku's re-design I feel like I'm going to be more productive.  
(since I probably will save time by not going there anymore)

#146 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2426 posts) -

My god thats bad. I dont use kotaku anyway, joystiq and destructiod work.

#147 Posted by ZombiePie (5629 posts) -

Tried to get use to it but I can't. The entire website looks like it's a pdf.

#148 Edited by NickLott (793 posts) -

I don't use Kotaku so much but I do regularly check out Lifehacker and Jalopnik which also got the gawker redesign and personally I'm not into it. It looks like it was designed for the iPad.

#149 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

did not like it when io9, deadspin and lifehacker did it 

#150 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Trying to find "news" on Kotaku was hard enough already, this gives me a good reason to stop visiting, especially after that account security issue. Plenty of other sites.