• 77 results
#1 Posted by randomcharachter (62 posts) -

I can't decide between Contra or Ghost'n Goblins.

#2 Edited by Sammo21 (3552 posts) -

Probably the original Ninja Turtles game on NES.

#3 Posted by Giantstalker (1728 posts) -

F-Zero GX, at least when I tried the story stuff on the hardest difficulty, was brutal.

#4 Posted by ottoman673 (570 posts) -

IWBTG [I Wanna Be The Guy]

It's free, if you're interested in torturing yourself: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/

#5 Edited by mosespippy (4461 posts) -

Those last few races of Ridge Racer for the PSP stick out in my mind as possibly the hardest I've completed. They say the odds of winning are 1/200000 and only 1 tester did it in 6 months of testing. It took me 5 months to do one particular race. The rubber banding is so high that maybe a dozen times I finished last while being under .010 seconds behind first. The average speed of the cars in every race is higher than the cars top speed. You have to block the cars rubber banding to get a bump in speed and then hit the turbo to even have a chance.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

The Void, probably.

#7 Posted by Nictel (2440 posts) -

Probably Demon Souls

#8 Posted by Vod_Crack (753 posts) -

Final Doom.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Hardest but still managed to beat it: I Wanna Be The Guy.
But that game is just meant to be a dick.

#10 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2405 posts) -

I had the hardest trouble with Ninja Gaiden 2 for reason I can't remember (and I finished Ninja Gaiden Black on Ninja Master)

#11 Posted by JordanaRama (229 posts) -

Super Meatboy comes to mind.

But i played a lot of NES and some of that shit was pretty brutal at times. Ghosts N' Goblins haunts me.

#12 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I Wanna Be The Guy, I guess.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (5361 posts) -

I would say Demons' Souls but I haven't really tried it where Super Meat Boy I've tried and tired, and conquered and got good and hit a road block and sucked again.

Super Meat Boy is my answer for the hardest game I've ever played.

#14 Posted by Skyfire543 (766 posts) -

Super Star Wars. Fuck that game.

#15 Posted by Fredddi43 (359 posts) -

Dark Souls. Never tried Demons Souls and dont really consider Super Meat Boy that hard (finished it).

#16 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

Deadly Towers - NES

#17 Posted by Veektarius (5024 posts) -

Baseball. I never could tell where the ball was going to land...

#18 Edited by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden on the original XBOX. I beat that game. What a great game. Fuck that game.

#19 Edited by Dethfish (3697 posts) -

Dark Souls. I just couldn't do it.

#20 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Vagrant Story

Golf also a strong contender

I've beaten a whole shitload of difficult games but none of them has the murderous "do 0 damage until you learn how to play" function of VS; 15 hour learning curve.

#21 Posted by TehPickle (549 posts) -

I think Super Meat Boy has to be up there - it's the only one I can think of where the many many deaths are always my fault, and never once left me feeling like I could blame the game in any way whatsoever. Its design is practically flawless in that sense. Hard in the best possible way.

As for the hardest game ever irrespective of quality, I want to say Treasure Island Dizzy, so I will. I had it on Spectrum, and it drove me completely nuts as a kid. There's youtube videos of people finishing it in 20 minutes and making it look like a cakewalk, but a cakewalk it is not, if you dont have prior knowledge. The item management in that game is a complete logistical nightmare. Those hidden coins too. Sudden horrible flashbacks. I love that game. Also, fuck that game.

#22 Edited by BaconGames (3577 posts) -

Probably Ninja Gaiden II because it's designed like a piece of shit to knock you off ledges and shit like that.

#23 Posted by Slag (4888 posts) -

@rihanna said:

Deadly Towers - NES

this^

but I can't decide if it was actually that hard or just that bad.

maybe both

#24 Posted by Jayzilla (2571 posts) -

Ghosts N' Goblins. If your game is anything else it just means you never played Ghosts N' Goblins.

#25 Edited by PoisonJam7 (357 posts) -

@jayzilla: Yes, that would be why the topic title is "What is the hardest game that you ever played?"

For me, it would have to be Demon Souls. I'm not prone to throwing controllers, but man...I really wanted to throw my controller on many different occasions playing that game. One good thing that came from playing it though was that I didn't find Dark Souls to be as hard.

#26 Edited by Harabec (83 posts) -

Life

#27 Edited by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

Super Meat Boy, hands down.

#28 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

One of the only times I got really mad at a video game was Driver San Francisco. It wasn't a hard game by any means, but there was one mission later in the game where I had to escape several cars and reach a destination. I tried at least a dozen times and tossed my controller. The game defeated me. Again, I never get mad at games. I usually laugh at myself.

#29 Edited by BeachThunder (12428 posts) -

Super Hexagon?

#30 Posted by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -

Super Meat Boy, hands down.

Are we talking about light world or dark world for SMB?

#31 Edited by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

ZombiU Hardest Difficulty

#32 Posted by supermonkey122 (874 posts) -

Played: Dark Souls, Battletoads, Castlevania.

Beat: Jak 2

#33 Edited by isomeri (1419 posts) -
#34 Posted by Jimbo (9998 posts) -

Probably Commandos co-op. One save slot and it's super easy to save yourself into an impossible position.

#35 Posted by NicksCorner (433 posts) -

Bioforge. I really liked it, but I was just too young to grasp the puzzles.

#36 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

World of Warcraft - raiding Sunwell - M'uru. I stuck around for about 40 hours of futile attempts with practically zero progress, before I said *Screw This!* and quit WoW altogether for the first time. My raidgroup finally managed to beat the encounter after over 200 hours of *exercise*, roughly two weeks before Sunwell got nerfed into the ground. They still managed to squeeze in their Kil'jaeden first kill right before the nerf. Mighty proud achievement, shame I didn't stick around for it. Then again, I'd rather pull my toenails with pliers than suffer through 200+ hours of inane horseshit like that. Always fucking hated arbitrary blocker encounters with ludicrous balancing anyways.

#37 Edited by Picsl (195 posts) -

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was fucking brutal on the hardest setting.

#38 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

I wanna be the boshy. I could not even go past the tutorial because of this save jump XD

#39 Edited by Ketchupp (668 posts) -

Mega Man Network Transmission

#40 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

The first Harry Potter game. It's ridiculously easy until you have to fight Voldermort. I'm not actually sure I ever actually beat the fucker.

#41 Posted by Roxasthirteen (55 posts) -

Nicktoons Unite for the Nintendo DS.

Fucking Plankton.

#42 Edited by tavistavistavis (48 posts) -

Friday the 13th when I was a young lad. FUCK THAT GAME

#43 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -

Battletoads.

More recently, I'd go with Super Meat Boy. I finished the game, but I don't think I could ever finish the dark world. Ninja Gaiden II was pretty crazy as well.

#44 Posted by CLouDx (3 posts) -

metal slug series....try finishin any of em with less than 5 continues :P

#45 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

Those last few races of Ridge Racer for the PSP stick out in my mind as possibly the hardest I've completed. They say the odds of winning are 1/200000 and only 1 tester did it in 6 months of testing. It took me 5 months to do one particular race. The rubber banding is so high that maybe a dozen times I finished last while being under .010 seconds behind first. The average speed of the cars in every race is higher than the cars top speed. You have to block the cars rubber banding to get a bump in speed and then hit the turbo to even have a chance.

If you're serious then those developers are fuckin' stupid. Who makes a game like that intentionally? That's not fun.

#46 Edited by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

Easily Ninja Gaiden Black. I didn't finish it either. :/

Well, I guess some of the Touhous or DoDonpachis I've spent 5min with are up there. But Ninja Gaiden is my White Whale at this point. DMC and Dark Souls don't got shit on that series.

#47 Posted by ConfusedOwl (970 posts) -

Dark Souls I guess. I don't think I've ever really played a really hard game you couldn't grind yourself to the top in (That I played in depth anyway).

#48 Edited by Zapbrader (176 posts) -

I think its Donkey Kong for me.

#49 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Nethack. That game is fucking dense.

#50 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Life. The time limit is an unpredictable bitch and the rules keep changing as it goes along.