What's with all the Brad hating?

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By leviathan
@wingchunharpies said:

" @leviathan said:

" I hate on Brad for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, when he talks all technical about some games it just pisses me off, it's as if he's trying to show off. Say what you will about that.  Secondly, because he's a retard when he plays games. Nothing wrong with not being that good at games, i'm not saying you have to be good at games to be a games journalist, or his reviews suck bla bla bla, in fact i think his reviews are actually quite good. I agree with him about LP2, from what i've seen that game looks clunky and stupid. However, watching a person who sucks at games playing a game on a QL is infuriating. Thirdly, because he just seems so weak, and so eager to please the others. This can best be seen in a number of podcasts. Brad generally says something, then if someone disagrees he immediately tries to alter his opinion so that its accepted by the others, instead of standing his ground and disagreeing with someone because his opinion on something is different. "

Wow, imagine if someone hated you that way huh. But, to address your points. Number 1, technical talk may be more informative to people who actually want to hear it and want to know what its about. Number 2, i can understand why people want to see more in quick looks, but unless you can do better( which is to say post a 24-30 min video on a game on youtube then link it here for the guys to evaluate), then cut the guys some slack. Most of the time it just gives us a taste of what is in a game and is not supposed to show you more than you actually need to see , so that it doesn't spoil the game. And, again if you want to hate/criticize anyone playing games for a QL, do one yourself and comment while you do it if you have the equipment, then post it here for us to judge if you really want to prove your point. Thirdly, "he seems so weak and eager to please the others"? What Bombcast have you been listening to? Brad is quite quiet sometimes, but i no way does he ruin Bombcast or is irritating in any way. And for "this can best be seen in a number of podcasts", please can you show me which ones so i can listen to them and then rejudge the situation? Lastly, although Brad is not my fav here(that belongs to Vinny,erm cause he is crazy) ,in no way is he  anything but a great asset to the Giantbomb community and comeon don't hate but support this site to its fullest( unlike the weekly hatefest on IW). "
Ok, let's see. Firstly, why should i support this site to its fullest if im not fond of one of its members? Conversely, just because i'm not fond of one of the members does it mean i'm not supporting the site to its fullest? Not everyone has to be a defensive fanboy like you. It's called feedback and criticism. 
Point #1: That may be the case, but as I said, to me it just seems like he's trying to show off, so that's the feeling i get. If you don't, then good for you. 
Point #2: I realise that it's hard to play games whilst talking, however i don't think anyone here will seriously say that Brad is the best player of games amongst the four. My point is, why have Brad play all the QLs like others have also pointed out. Why not brad commentate, and vinny, ryan or jeff play the QLs? Generally speaking they seem to die less and make it a much more fluent experience. Case in point, RDR QL, they get you going somewhere with the bounty quest. Then brad dies, and they just give up and move on. For me, that makes me.... uncomfortable. I want to see the end of the quest, and it just gives the QLs a disjointed stop-start feel, which doesn't make for a good viewing experience. I never said anything about them not showing enough about the QLs, so i don't know where that came into the equation. 
Point #3: The most recent example I can think of, is when Brad was talking about Alan Wake and wanting to play the game with no lights etc and Jeff said he thought that was stupid. I got the vibe that Brad actually wanted to play the game with lights off etc to set the mood, however since Jeff said he thought it was stupid he changed his argument to being based entirely on glare from the screen. Seems like a bitch-out to me, since he was going on about playing the game at home rather than at the office to play on a better TV, and have a better atmosphere. 
Lastly, did i ever say he wasn't an asset to the team? I even stated i liked his reviews, I just don't like his personality much. It just seems like you've taken my criticism to be blasphemy against your church of giant bomb. Seriously, get off their nuts. They're big boys they don't need people like you to defend their each and every action. 

Edit: Another thing is in the latest bombcast. Brad gets all high and mighty about what is considered a "Final Fantasy" game. Ryan then kills him with the FFXI expansion, and he gets owned. Then later on when vinny brings it back up brad says "oh who cares" ... ummmmm he did?
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By super_machine

You don't have to agree with his opinion, but you should respect it.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By Mono_Listo

Huh, interesting people give such a shit. To me he's the blonde dude with a deep NE-ish voice of the cast. Shame there's so many people that read so deeply into a video game journalist.

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By drakesfortune
@simian said:

" There's always been a certain amount of Brad-hate ("Brate"?) on the forums but I'm not sure why exactly. Maybe because he uses big fancy words and people take offense to that uppity talk or because he's from the south. "

I think it's a lot more simple than that.  The other Giant Bombers give more credit to the 360 and 360 exclusives, and Brad tends to lean more towards the PS3, and defends more of the PS3 exclusives.

Honestly, I think that accounts for 80% of the hate.  I find myself appalled at times at Jeff and Ryan's dismissive tone when it comes to games like Uncharted 2.  Jeff could barely get himself to play through it because it wasn't on 360, and he couldn't get achievements for it.   I seriously lost a lot of respect for him when Uncharted 2 came out.  I was pretty disappointed to be honest.  I can understand not liking MGS4, or Resistance, or Ratchet, but I can't understand how a video game reviewer could treat a top tier game like Uncharted so dismissively.  Heck, i have twice as many 360 games as I do PS3 games, but I do feel that Jeff Ryan and Vinny are hard on the PS3 and soft on the 360 and Brad tends to be the opposite.  

I think him being bad at games is funny and all, but I think the haters tend to be 360 fans.  It's painful to watch Brad play Deadly Premonition at times, but it's also funny.  It doesn't make me think less of him, or dislike him in any way.  In some ways it's endearing and makes me feel like I'm maybe a better gamer than him...which is fine.  Not all reviewers need to be great at games.  In fact, I think reviews by people like Jeff who is a crazy good gamer are often less in tune with how I perceive games, because I'm not that good, so I tend to not get as much enjoyment out of the high end of the difficulty curve.  Sad, but true.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#155  Edited By JJWeatherman
@drakesfortune said:
" @simian said:
" There's always been a certain amount of Brad-hate ("Brate"?) on the forums but I'm not sure why exactly. Maybe because he uses big fancy words and people take offense to that uppity talk or because he's from the south. "
I think it's a lot more simple than that.  The other Giant Bombers give more credit to the 360 and 360 exclusives, and Brad tends to lean more towards the PS3, and defends more of the PS3 exclusives.  Honestly, I think that accounts for 80% of the hate.  I find myself appalled at times at Jeff and Ryan's dismissive tone when it comes to games like Uncharted 2.  Jeff could barely get himself to play through it because it wasn't on 360, and he couldn't get achievements for it.   I seriously lost a lot of respect for him when Uncharted 2 came out.  I was pretty disappointed to be honest.  I can understand not liking MGS4, or Resistance, or Ratchet, but I can't understand how a video game reviewer could treat a top tier game like Uncharted so dismissively.  Heck, i have twice as many 360 games as I do PS3 games, but I do feel that Jeff Ryan and Vinny are hard on the PS3 and soft on the 360 and Brad tends to be the opposite.    I think him being bad at games is funny and all, but I think the haters tend to be 360 fanboys.  It's painful to watch Jeff play Deadly Premonition at times, but it's also funny.  It doesn't make me think less of him, or dislike him in any way.  In some ways it's endearing and makes me feel like I'm maybe a better gamer than him...which is fine.  Not all reviewers need to be great at games.  In fact, I think reviews by people like Jeff who is a crazy good gamer are often less in tune with how I perceive games, because I'm not that good, so I tend to not get as much enjoyment out of the high end of the difficulty curve.  Sad, but true. "
First off, I think you're right about Brad being more into PS3 than the other guys, but I don't think that amounts to anything. That's just how he is, and thats cool. 

Also, Vinny is the one that plays the VJ ER, not Jeff. Jeff's not that "crazy good" at games either: 

That video's hilarious. 

Anyways, all the guys are awesome and I don't see how anyone could hate them. This thread is dumb.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#156  Edited By Daveyo520

How could you ate a man with that voice?

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#157  Edited By kelbear
@Lexxenwrath: It's not really hate, I don't think that's the appropriate descriptive term.

I think most people feel frustration and/or pity with regard to his gaming skills. When he overlooks so many things during the course of gameplay, it makes people wonder how insightful he can be when reviewing a game. Significant game concepts in Deadly Premonition seem to elude him. Granted, the game doesn't exactly spell these things out for the player like other higher-budget games, and it's valid to criticize them for a lower level of clarity to the player, but if he goes on to completely miss features, his frustrations with games could be misplaced or unrepresentative of the actual product.

Essentially it's a collective outcry of "Lern 2 play nub!"

I enjoy watching him play though. Those "brad" moments are entertaining. I've had similar laughs with my group of gaming friends who all shared a relatively high level of gameplay, with one exception...our most enthusiastic player, who was simultaneously our worst player. We had many many laughs at his expense. I enjoy Giant Bomb in a similar way. The GB guys feel like gaming buddies through the bombcast discussions and the casual group play through the endurance runs. That's why it's enough for Brad to simply entertain. I'm not here for reviews, Giantbomb's appeal is that it's a passive way to receive the feel of social gaming.
ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By ZeroRegistry
@kelbear:   Just addressing your first point, I don't think people should equate Mr. Shoemakers skills in either quick looks, or the endurance run, with how he plays games for review/leisure.  I'm sure off camera he's just as competent a gamer as anyone else, if not more so(though, who knows).   

Though, I do enjoy the moments in the endurance run when, in what I can only imagine is due to hubris or boredom, he runs head long into oblivion.  
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#160  Edited By tebbit
@fwylo said:
" I like Brad. "
Gay
fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By fishmicmuffin

Brad is awesome. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am just personally of the belief that Brad kicks copious amounts of ass.

discost3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By discost3w

I don't care to be honest. Different people = more opinions :)

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By louiedog

Brad? I've been calling him Brian. This is so embarrassing.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#164  Edited By sagesebas

I really like Brad, I have noticed though that in the bombcast Ryan makes fun of Brad sometimes haha

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@Lexxenwrath said:
" Perhaps I am the only one seeing this but it seems that there are a lot of "Brad suxorz!!11oneoneeleven" comments lately. Anyone else notice this?   Personally I think that maybe we should show him the same respect that the other Giant Bomb staff show him (except possibly Ryan who seems to yell at Brad a lot in the ED but you can't really blame him, having to watch Deadly Premonition being played...)   (inb4 horrible trolling and Brad suxorz!1!!oneoneeleven) "
Brad killed my pa.  Now me and Irish gonna skin him alive.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#166  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@fwylo said:
" I like Brad. "

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Choi
@gosukiller said:
" Well, the Brad 'hate' started with people making fun of him dying alot in Quick Looks, which was harmless fun.  Then people started drawing conclusions about it, saying his opinions (READ: Reviews) about games weren't to be taken seriously, since he can't actually play games. Which is nonsense, I might add, these people have no idea how playing games for a job is like.  And the breaking point was probably Lost Planet 2. Head over to that forum if you want to know what that is all about. "
This.
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#168  Edited By Feanor

People are allowed to hate whoever they want.  If you are busting on people for not liking him, then you are no different than those people. 

I think the real problem is that there are so many GB fanboys on this site, that anytime someone says anything negative they get jumped on.  And that's really not fair, its not like the GB guys are the greatest thing since sliced bread, so calm down they are just people, and not everybody is going to suck em off like you do.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#169  Edited By ch13696

There's a few things I disagree with about what Brad says. But if anything I like Brad a lot more than the other Giant Bomb staff. Especially Jeff. If Brad ever gets fired or quits then I will follow him to whatever site he goes onto next.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad dies a lot during quick looks but i think its partly due to him trying harder than normal to avoid death, this causes him to make stupid decisions which i know he wouldn't make if playing solo.  I personally love his quick looks just to see how fast he dies (but only on games i don't own, watching him play games i am familiar with can be frustrating). Also, his opinions on games are vastly different from mine. 

Kolonel_Kool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#171  Edited By Kolonel_Kool

I like Brad, but dud has to stop dying in the Quicklooks. The best Brad/Quicklook Death was easily the God of War 3 Demo. Right at the end, priceless!

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Mars_Cleric

Oh no there's a Brad hater climbing on my walls 
His hands are glowing! HELLLLP!!!!   

BrAd is thE STooPidz, i iS haRcrOe gaMERZ nAd I nEHvar diEz wen i plaYin GaMZ COZ I is A PLayaH!!!!!111oneeleven 

Get it off the keyboard!! 
GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF!!!!
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@Feanor said:
"not everybody is going to suck em off like you do. "

But just to be clear... I can if I want to, right?
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#174  Edited By s-a-n-JR

People are idiots if they are drawing conclusions of Brad's playing skills from how he plays in Quicklooks. It's alot harder to talk and play than you think.   

leviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By leviathan
@Feanor said:
" People are allowed to hate whoever they want.  If you are busting on people for not liking him, then you are no different than those people.  I think the real problem is that there are so many GB fanboys on this site, that anytime someone says anything negative they get jumped on.  And that's really not fair, its not like the GB guys are the greatest thing since sliced bread, so calm down they are just people, and not everybody is going to suck em off like you do. "
Exactly what I've been feeling for the past year. too many dickriders. Couldn't have said it better. Take em to church! Preach Feanor! Preach!
TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By TheChaos
@zyn said:
" Haters gonna hate.  Brad FTW! "
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By schizogony

Man, I had no idea that there was a splinter offshoot group of weirdos that hate Brad. 

How the heck can anyone in their right mind hate Brad Shoemaker? The man is a saint. A SAINT!

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Jadeskye

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am one of those people.

To say I "hate" Brad is a bit silly, though. I just find him incredibly annoying. 

I couldn't give two shits whether he liked LP2 or not.. or whether he dies all the time in quicklooks. What does get on my nerves is the fact that he is seemingly unable to pay attention to anything in games, and then gets lost or confused, often blaming the game for things that would have been fine if he'd been paying a little more attention. You can say it's because he's talking during the quick-look or whatever, but Vinny, Jeff and Ryan seem to manage just fine, often talking more frequently, and being funnier.

There's also the fact that he seems like a real downer. Never wanting to participate, or do silly things for the sake of entertainment. Always being cynical about everything. I'm not hiding behind my keyboard basking in my anonymity.. he is the type of person I try to avoid spending time with and am frequently telling to lighten up and have a bit of fun.

There, my reasons why I dislike Brad.

There are good things about him though. He is a great writer and he seems to have a good knowledge of what goes on in the industry.

No doubt I'm going to get some severe abuse for this post... oh well, just Brad from my point of view. Take it as you will.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By schizogony
@jadeskye said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
loooooooooool
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By crusnchill

Aah to be a reviewer these days... It seems more and more to be a job that has a major downside of taking lots of flak off people who don't understand that each persons opinion isn't incorrect, simply different from their own.
But no matter how many times we respond trying to explain this fact to them, the reviewers wrong, and as a consequence sexually defficient too, by the fanboys/trolls unrealistic standards and their own personal opinion.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#182  Edited By Hamz

Man this topic has gone on long enough. Brad is awesome and he may never be your favourite member of the crew but he is a member of it for the long run and I see no reason to hate a guy you've never met. Hating him based on how you perceive him to be through quick looks and bombcasts just feels prejudicial which is entirely wrong.

Viva La Shoemaker!