Why does giantbomb post their reviews so late?

• 59 results
JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JWawin

The only reason I travel to other sites at times is to find early reviews of games to aid in my decision making process to purchase a game or not. The problem is that other sites often post spoilers and they  are just simply not as good as giantbomb. What holds giantbomb back from posting their reviews earlier? 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

A lot of times they don't get review copies as early as the bigger name guys(IGN, Gamespot, etc) or, sometimes, have to buy the games themselves on release day.

Leviticus128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Leviticus128

With it being a fairly small operation they don't always get early review copies and with the mound of new releases coming out recently its hard to play through the whole game, write a review, proofread it and get it up early. i sure as hell know i couldnt play every game given to me on a schedual

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

And Giantbomb reviews are the cream of the crop far better then some other reviews you can tell the giantbomb guys spent some good time with the games.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Siphillis

The staff of GiantBomb is markedly small in comparison to sites like IGN and 1UP.  If I recall, only four reviews are employed, each taking a week (if not longer) to complete each game at their leisure.  The pressure to complete a game and critique it on time simply isn't present as it was at GameSpot, especially under the leadership of Greg Kasavin.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By mracoon

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't put up an ME2 review yet because it came out in the US today and they said Brad had been playing it.

JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JWawin
@CitizenKane: That's really too bad. I'm pretty new to the site and I find the reviews so good. I'm sure it'll just be a matter of time before giantbomb becomes one of the top sites and gets games far earlier. I wonder if some video game companies are a little apprehensive because of the brutal honesty in the reviews?
JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JWawin
@WilliamRLBaker: Cream of the crop indeed! That's why I like giantbomb so much you can tell they give games a good play through before writing a review. It's just too bad sometimes because this is the only site where I trust the reviews and when a game is already out and a review hasn't been posted it puts me in a tough situation because I'm not sure if I should pick up a game or not. 
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By super_machine

Because they're waiting for the mail to come to see how big the check is... (runs away).

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tomte
@mracoon said:
" I'm a bit surprised that they haven't put up an ME2 review yet because it came out in the US today and they said Brad had been playing it. "

Are you sure that he played the whole game? As i understood it he only spenta few extra hours with it but not playing it to completion, also if this is the case they might not have the save file, tus have to start over from the beginning
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#11  Edited By citizenkane
@JWawin: I wouldn't look too much into that reasoning for it.  Simply put, while all of staff have been around for years, Giant Bomb in itself is a relatively new, up-and-coming video game journalism website that still has to earn some more stripes in the broad scheme of things.
Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Cazamalos

since i'm the kind of guys that takes some time to finish a game i can't ask to someone to finish quick and experience all a game :(  , and when a want to brought a game in day one i already know what is the game about.

but also i'm gonna quote Shaun McInnins's twitter 

I wonder how many websites review MAG (online-only game with deep leveling system) before release tomorrow. So far: two!#notaraceguys    

JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JWawin
@CitizenKane: Yeah I hear you, it's hard to believe that giantbomb is so young and I forget that at times. I think they're doing stuff way better than sites like gamespot and ign. A big reason I care about reviews being posted earlier is because I'm a broke ass university student who can't afford to buy any game that comes out haha. I'll just have to tough it out and wait on certain games or until giantbomb becomes a beast!
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Cube

because they hate you.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Griddler

Doesn't bother me. It's good that they put alot of time and effort into their reviews, also I don't rely on review scores to decide on whether or not to buy a game.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Milkman

I was actually a little surprised that Giant Bomb didn't post their Mass Effect 2 review at midnight. Pretty much every site, and I mean every site, posted their review at midnight.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Vinchenzo

Why do you ask stupid and obvious questions?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Tireyo

It takes time for perfection. = - P Hehe.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By sweep  Moderator

there is also relationships with developers and publishers and whatnot that might dictate when they receive a review copy - for example if Jeff gave a previous Eidos game a bad review, Eidos might not be so enthusiastic to get his opinion on their newest game. 

The focus of giantbomb isn't the reviews, it's the podcast and the wiki. I think as far as giantbomb is concerned there is already enough of that stuff in existence, if you want to read rushed early reviews there are plenty of decent places to do so elsewhere on the internet.

Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mr_Bubbles

They're a group of dudes who play games. They don't always get early copies like IGN or GameSpot. They buy the game when it's released, and then play it until they can review it.

JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JWawin
@Vinchenzo: Thanks for making the new guy feel welcomed. 
belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By belaraphon

often times i find myself purchasing a game that i have a small interest in because i read a solid review for it.  but using giant bomb i plan my game purchases out a a little more strategically - and save myself some coin to boot! 

also their reviews are top notch. i don't like i have seen a "world exclusive first review" from them which is usually nothing but glad handing the publishers.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By subject2change

You shouldn't solely get your information from one site, I mean in reality GiantBomb is a small operation that doesn't always post releveant news. There are other good non "corporate" sites like Destructoid and Kotaku which provide relevant reviews. Hell I think I prefer Kotaku for reviews over GiantBomb because they dont give meaningless numbers. They state pros and cons, some details on the game and thats it. You can generally tell from the tone if they liked it or not but based on the pros and cons you can make your own decision.

Also Metacritic is a great way to see if the game is praised universally just because say Brad  gave something a 5/5 doesn't not everyone else gave it a 1 or 2 out of  5.

littlejehova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By littlejehova

I think also you have to take into account the amount of video content and podcasts these guys are putting out. Quite honestly for a group of 4 -8 guys its staggering. And while I'm sure everyone agrees that the reviews are fantastic most people keep coming back to Giantbomb for the video content, podcasts and the community. At the least for me the reviews have become simply supplemental for the enjoyment of the site, while the quicklooks, features and podcasts have become the main course. And I say if we have to wait a few couple days for a review so we can keep on getting such great content, what is there to bitch about.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno

Also, with a fairly small staff they sometimes can't get a game finished in time. While a reviewer on another site may be completely assigned to a particular task until it's done, the reviewers on this site may have to do quick looks, news, bombcasts etc in between. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By EpicSteve

It's also my understanding they don't go after exclusive reviews, unlike IGN which gets them like candy. Then again, GiantBomb (or any site) shouldn't be your only source for information. All sources have specific strengths and weaknesses, GiantBomb is no different.

JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JWawin
@Subject2Change: I agree, I think it's good to check out other sites I just find myself agreeing the most with giantbomb reviews. There are certain games i will pick up  without checking reviews but I just find them helpful because money is tight right now and it's nice to get a good idea about what I am purchasing. I haven't been to   Destructoid and Kotaku but I will check them out for sure. 
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By swamplord666

well in the case of MAG, BIG kudos to them for waiting till the public servers are up and they've gotten sometime in with the community before reviewing the game. How can you tell what the experience is like on a mltiplayer game based solely on a beta?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FunExplosions
@mracoon said:
" I'm a bit surprised that they haven't put up an ME2 review yet because it came out in the US today and they said Brad had been playing it. "
I think you answered your own question.
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#30  Edited By MachoFantastico
@swamplord666 said:
" well in the case of MAG, BIG kudos to them for waiting till the public servers are up and they've gotten sometime in with the community before reviewing the game. How can you tell what the experience is like on a mltiplayer game based solely on a beta? "
Totally agree, when I heard that I thought 'bravo GB, bravo indeed' wish more sites considered things like that. Could make a huge difference to MAG. 
JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JWawin
@Littlejehova: I understand, it's not a matter of me bitching I was just curious. I saw a bunch of reviews posted days before the release of ME2 and I was curious because it seems like giantbomb has a good relationship with bioware. I just assumed they would be getting a copy pretty early and it made me wonder why they hadn't posted a review yet. As for the bombcasts, they are probably the best part of the site for me! 
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ch13696

I actually like it better that way. They're experiencing the same stuff at the same time as the consumers. Just so we have something to talk about. Instead of saying "I wish I can play it now".

JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JWawin
@EpicSteve: It's not my only source but it is without a doubt one of the better sites.
JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JWawin
@ch13696: Yeah but what if you are undecided on a game that is coming out and you prefer giantbomb reviews opposed to others? Some games can be very tough to get if you aren't there for a midnight release. 
Avatar image for altered_confusion
Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

To cite everyone who's said it before they don't always get the games early, a good chunk of the time its on their own dime, since they are a review site they have a ton of games to get through and little time to do it in, and they actually play the games. I think one of the huge differences is that there's not a check neatly slipped in the case, so they give the honest review which takes an entire playthrough, maybe more to accomplish. 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Tennmuerti

If you are important people will wait.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ch13696
@JWawin: Trust me. There are plenty of stores that have the game. Most people believe that only GameStop carries games. But there are other ones like Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc. That's the big problem with GameStop is that they only carry the same amount that people pre-order. While the other places order a lot.
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By Cwaff

I don't mind waiting a little longer for the qualitative reviews that we see here.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By WickedCestus
@JWawin said:
" @WilliamRLBaker: Cream of the crop indeed! That's why I like giantbomb so much you can tell they give games a good play through before writing a review. It's just too bad sometimes because this is the only site where I trust the reviews and when a game is already out and a review hasn't been posted it puts me in a tough situation because I'm not sure if I should pick up a game or not.  "
You know you don't have to pick up a game on release date. You can wait a week, it'll still be there.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I think if you are in a situation where you're still unsure on whether to get a game on launch day, then obviously you're not too eager to get it. In which case, a day or two late is hardly going to cause you much hassle.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By napalm

GiantBomb doesn't really post their reviews that late. Usually they are posted a few days before release, or a day or two after release. You have to remember that they are a relatively small group of people and their main concern is playing the game through, maybe playing a retail copy (if it warrants a reason), and getting a good, quality review before post.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#42  Edited By wwfundertaker

Better late then never is my saying, i may have stolen that tag line.

JWawin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JWawin
@supermike6 said:
" @JWawin said:
" @WilliamRLBaker: Cream of the crop indeed! That's why I like giantbomb so much you can tell they give games a good play through before writing a review. It's just too bad sometimes because this is the only site where I trust the reviews and when a game is already out and a review hasn't been posted it puts me in a tough situation because I'm not sure if I should pick up a game or not.  "
You know you don't have to pick up a game on release date. You can wait a week, it'll still be there. "
I have a number of poor qualities and unfortunately a lack of patience is one of them.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By penguindust

Giant Bomb is about quality, not quantity.  This is a small, tight run unit of seasoned professionals who work hard to keep us all entertained and informed.  They've been doing videos, writing news articles and other stuff we haven't even seen yet.  They do all this and have to make time to play games for review.  Oh, and then there is that little nagging thing about having an outside life.  They get to it and when they do, it is good.  There are plenty of other sites with larger staffs that will give you more timely reviews if that is what you're looking for.  Me, I can wait for something I will truly value when making game purchases.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iam3green

i would say because they are not big to get copies like gamespot and other great review sites. they have to wait until the reviews come out.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeffsekai
@JWawin: They do it to piss people off.
Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's freaking art, man.

You can't rush art

Ol' Leo Da Vinci didn't take no shit from anybody. No sir.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ravensword
@CitizenKane:

This.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points