Will RTS's ever suceed on Consoles???

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By giyanks22

2008 and 2009, had a lot of RTS games that were released on Consoles. Command and Conquer RA3. Endwar, and Halo Wars...None of them lived up to their expectations, and weren't "great" games...

When will we see an RTS succeed on a console, or will it just not happen this generation, and will we be waiting at least another five years for it?

Is this generation of consoles, just not equipped to handle RTS games, or will our wait be over, and will we finally see "The" RTS game on the 360/PS3?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

Not in the traditional sense, no. The genre has to be completely redefined before a solid console experience can be expected. Whether there's the money or interest for an endeavor like that is a whole different question...

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By giyanks22
End_Boss said:
"Not in the traditional sense, no. The genre has to be completely redefined before a solid console experience can be expected. Whether there's the money or interest for an endeavor like that is a whole different question...
"
Very well put...
My thoughts exactly..
I don't think that the 360 and the PS3 were designed with RTS's in mind...
Maybe the Xbox 720 and the PS4 will be.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA

RTS's were built with the mouse in mind, so only consoles with mouse compatibility will ever have good RTS's (in my opinion).

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The Wii has potential for an awesome RTS moreso than other consoles unless they find a way to circumvent the dual joystick problem, because it has never worked well for RTS. It would take a completely new thought process to make it work; assigning the mouse movement to the left joystick is just a terrible idea.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ

I actually really enjoyed Halo Wars for the game it is, but i digress... I don't think the RTS experience that we all expect will ever be possible on a console without a custom controller. There simply aren't enough buttons for the typical micromanagement of a Starcraft game available on a normal console controller.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hexpane

Port Homeworld to PSN and lets find out!!! /I want

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By SpecTackle

No.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crunchUK

perhaps the future consoles will have giagntic touch screens

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Contra

I can never micromanage how I want to on a console.
I can't have enough groups of unit.
I can't split them as easily.
I can't control them as well.
I can't control the map as well to see what I want.

I can though with a keyboard and mouse...

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hexpane
Contra said:
"I can never micromanage how I want to on a console.
I can't have enough groups of unit.
I can't split them as easily.
I can't control them as well.
I can't control the map as well to see what I want.

I can though with a keyboard and mouse...
"
PS3 and XBOX360 both have USB ports...keyboard issues are solved out of the box
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Umm... Halo Wars didn't live up to its expectations?
Uh...what?

It's AA at metacritic

Anyway, I personally think  traditional RTSes are going to die out in general in
favor of things more along the lines of Pikman

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Karmum

There are not any good RTS games on the consoles? What? There are not many, but I did love Civilization Revolution. Probably the only RTS game I liked on the consoles, not that big into RTS games, though.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By BiG_Weasel

The control situation is really all that's holding them back. Shortcut keys on a keyboard, and a mouse are a necessity if you want to do anything close to what the PC can do for an RTS.  With that being said, you'd think they'd let you connect a keyboard/mouse via USB (maybe even wireless) and play 'em.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. RTSes and FPSes play better on PC, as do MMOs.  And that's good enough for me :)
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiG_Weasel
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

Uh...what?

It's AA at metacritic

Anyway, I personally think  traditional RTSes are going to die out in general in

"
Oh, and I'm gonna blow that theory out of the water. Dawn of War II, Supreme Commander, Demigod, C&C, Starcraft II, Total War....the list goes on and on and on.  RTS will always be a big seller on the PC.  The platform and the genre are the 'thinking man's video game'.  Mark my words, Starcraft II, when it launches, will outsell any console game of the past 10 years.
biohazardblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By biohazardblaze
BiG_Weasel said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:  Mark my words, Starcraft II, when it launches, will outsell any console game of the past 10 years."

If you include GTA IV in that , then I kinda doubt it maybe. But I'm just arguing semantics. >=P

I DO think Starcraft 2 will sell like hotcakes and I also think that currently the RTS is better accesible on the PC. But I think the current experiements into Console RTS will give us a better idea of what works and what doesn't on a console.

I really enjoyed Endwar. It didn't quite have the strategy of other more formidable RTS', but it was the first time in a while I felt really in control on a console. The voice commands really helped. Whether that's something that could be forwarded to other RTS console games... I don't know. But just browsing through Kotaku, I saw this video .

I think that shows where RTS games may be going on the console. Towards a camera mounted closer to units instead of the classic top-down view. I don't know if this is "True" RTS or if some might argue it's closer to "Point-and-Click Third Person Shooter" But who knows. Just SEEING more RTS on consoles is great. Endwar, C&C3, Kane's Wrath, Red Alert 3... It's a fairly good list.
xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xxNBxx

Endwar was a good first go and i see it being the best way to play a RTS on console.  Thou it is true the Wii has the best controler for a RTS now if someone would only bring one out...  hell why not make remakes with Wii controles they are doing that with everyother game out there.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BiG_Weasel
BiohazardBlaze said:
"BiG_Weasel said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:  Mark my words, Starcraft II, when it launches, will outsell any console game of the past 10 years."

If you include GTA IV in that , then I kinda doubt it maybe. But I'm just arguing semantics. >=P

I DO think Starcraft 2 will sell like hotcakes and I also think that currently the RTS is better accesible on the PC. But I think the current experiements into Console RTS will give us a better idea of what works and what doesn't on a console.
As far as GTAIV goes, that's an American phenomenon. It doesn't always do well overseas. If you take something like StarCraft II, now...that's universal.  Oh, and Blizzard could sell StarCraft-branded cowpies, and people would buy them
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By breadfan
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

Uh...what?

It's AA at metacritic

"
I do not think that traditional RTS games will ever die out, there is already a massive audience for them. 

PS:  It's not Pikman, its Pikmin
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hamz

Can RTS games be a success on consoles? Yes if the developer designs the game for the platform, designs the game to make the most of what the platform offers. But if they design it to run on another platform but don't release it on that one, then the game will not be a success.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Dalai

They can be very successful and some have been, but PCs will always have the upper hand on the RTS genre.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Pepsiman
Hamz said:
"Can RTS games be a success on consoles? Yes if the developer designs the game for the platform, designs the game to make the most of what the platform offers. But if they design it to run on another platform but don't release it on that one, then the game will not be a success.
"
My thoughts exactly. Pikmin is the first game which comes to my mind when you bring up that philosophy. Miayamoto may not explicitly define those games as being RTS ones, but you really do have to reinvent the wheel to get that genre to work really, really well on consoles. GrimGrimoire also comes to mind as well, although less so since it was a console RTS which tried (and somewhat successfully) to replicate genre conventions on a console.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The reason RTSs aren't working on consoles is because most developers are using a PC mindset.

What they need to do is think outside of what the RTS genre has established itself as and rebuild it from the ground up.

Look at Age of Booty and Pikmin. They basically provide the same gameplay as PC RTSs, but they just took out the base building and dedicated the controls solely to controling the units.

That is what needs to happen for console RTS's to work.

They need to become all about about the units. Tower Defense games already have the base building down anyway.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By maxszy

I think a strategy game on a console has to be looked through a different lense. It can't ever be what a RTS is on a PC. Therefore, we have to STOP looking at RTSs on consoles with the same expectations that an RTS on PC would have. Its not the same game, its not the same platform. Because of the major differences in controls, it can't possibly ever be the same. it just can't. So I think until everyone starts looking at the differently, they will always continue to be a dissapointment.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Red

No. Shooters worked because pretty much anyone can just casually hop in, and kill some Natzis. Shooting is relatable, easy, and not quite as involved. RTSes, on the other hand, is much more hardcore and requires a lot more thought. Even if someone could perfectly nail the controls to the point where they're as good as the PC: it will never succeed.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By atejas
Karmum said:
"There are not any good RTS games on the consoles? What? There are not many, but I did love Civilization Revolution. Probably the only RTS game I liked on the consoles, not that big into RTS games, though.
"
Civ is TBS.

Also, no. Not unless they're built from the ground up or simplified excessively(a la Halo Wars).
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

It seems people here are just asking if they will ever personally enjoy RTS games on consoles. I'm with you and likely won't either, but to say they're unsucessful is silly. Why would EA bring them to consoles ever since the original Command & Conquer if people don't like/buy them? I'm fairly sure there's an audience for them, I remember people going to console cafes around here and linking up two PlayStations together just to play Red Alert skirmishes and have a lot of fun with it. Yes, they'd be pushed over if a PC gamer could get in on the fun with a mouse & keyboard (and to me that's a downside, showing twitch still wins over strategy in some cases), but when both players work with the same limitations the games still offer a level of strategic depth unseen in other genres. They're just not as "agile" as on PC adjusting the gameplay to that fact.

I agree in that a new wave of simpler, more accessible RTS titles (like pikmin) will also be popular, and perhaps more popular than conventional RTS games as they border on "casual" gaming, but that doesn't suddenly nulify the success of the conventional genre. That type of game also gets on PC to attract this more casual, action seeking audience anyway. See things like World in Conflict and whatever else generally focuses less on micro management and more on basic battle tactics with smaller numbers of units and usually no construction phase.

Going for the more casual audience is just a market reality these days, truly hardcore genres have been dying left and right even on PC for years now, it's hardly something to do with consoles specifically and has more to do with the publishers putting sales goals over pleasing fans of a particular genre, thus simplifying everything. That said, traditional RTS still has a place here, though I can see it dying in a couple of decades, maybe with indie studios taking it over on PC as they have done with other genres the big wigs aren't interested in anymore.

In any case, currently they're just different games with different goals and there's room for both across all platforms.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crunchUK
BiG_Weasel said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"

Uh...what?

It's AA at metacritic

"
Oh, and I'm gonna blow that theory out of the water. Dawn of War II, Supreme Commander, Demigod, C&C, Starcraft II, Total War....the list goes on and on and on.  RTS will always be a big seller on the PC.  The platform and the genre are the 'thinking man's video game'.  Mark my words, Starcraft II, when it launches, will outsell any console game of the past 10 years.
"
i think he means RTS on console given that they usually fall short
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By kush

They will succeed on consoles if they either stop trying to be PC-like RTS games on consoles, or full keyboard and mouse support is allowed on all consoles. I find it rather funny that most console RTS games come out for the 360 when the PS3 is the system that allows keyboard and mouse support.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pepsiman

Kush, I think that's more or less because the 360 architecture is more similar to a PC than the PS3's. If I recall correctly, the 360 has a slightly downgraded version of DirectX 10 running under the hood, or something similar. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that's more or less the reason why you see that particular trend.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By giyanks22
Karmum said:
"There are not any good RTS games on the consoles? What? There are not many, but I did love Civilization Revolution. Probably the only RTS game I liked on the consoles, not that big into RTS games, though.
"
Civ Revolution is a Turn Based Strategy game. RTS is where you select your units in real time..

Civ Rev. was excellent, but it wasn't technically RTS
figmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By figmo
civ is as simplified rts goes and very playable.  on the get go, you can play without running into painfull problems of micromanagement.  none the less, dumbing down is the way to go and a sad one to boot.  the usb port provides hope for a mouse and keyboard interface.....then again, presently what is the keyboard used for?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

RTS games being successful on the PC is not a product of the PC but of keyboard and mouse something that could be used on the consoles if support was added for it.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Pepsiman said:
"Kush, I think that's more or less because the 360 architecture is more similar to a PC than the PS3's. If I recall correctly, the 360 has a slightly downgraded version of DirectX 10 running under the hood, or something similar. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that's more or less the reason why you see that particular trend."

What does this have to do with anythings exactly?  And haven't we realized by now that DX10 is a joke?  It uses more resources than how much it makes it look better by.  Shouldn't new DX versions do the exact opposite?
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pepsiman

Similar architecture = easier job to port. You tell me which widely-used PC has a processor that's similar to Cell, for example, and then we might see more PC RTS games ported to that particular system. It's naturally not the only factor which stops developers from making games of that genre for the system, but going from x86 processors on PCs to the 360's PowerPC does admittedly simplify matters. And before someone else points it out, PS3's processor is also PowerPC-based, but the underlying design of it all (ie: the processor being essentially split up seven ways by the Synergistic Processing Elements) makes it a dramatically different beast and has a tendency to cause headaches a plenty for developers for numerous reasons.

And I'm not the one to particularly yell at for DX 10 or the inclusion of its bastard stepchild in a console. I didn't say it was explicitly DirectX 10 the system is running, but the point remains that it does have a version of DirectX on it similar to 10, a trait which PC RTS games are naturally going to support as well, regardless of how fond you are for its most recent incarnation. It's a fact of modern development. If your console's graphics card supports a rendering standard which is really, really similar to what PCs already run, it makes porting the game that much easier, as the graphics coding doesn't have to be dramatically rewritten like you would see happen in games from previous generations.

It's not an inherently bad thing that the 360 is similar to a PC from a component and software standpoint. It makes optimizing games for the two systems a much easier matter. As someone who's been a part of the development scene for years, I think I can confidently say that from experience.