With Patrick moving, the crew needs to step up their game.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Giant bomb is that band that had the huge one hit that made them famous ((persona 4 er)) and now they hate it because that's all people want from them. Sit down, grab a controller and give the fans what they want, and be thankful you get paid for such a thing.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Patrick leaving is a disaster.

InsaneGenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one noticing and maybe hoping something is coming out of Jeff and Adam Sessler spending time together lately?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@mcghee said:

You see it in how Patrick steps out of his comfort zone and plays games like Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter. And we've all noticed how he's in so many Quick Looks.

@rvone said:

...but I do worry about the frequency of quick looks. They've been rather scarce as it is, but without Patrick doing half of them, I wonder who'll pick up that slack.

@animasta said:

It's also mentioned that Patrick does bring a lot of QL's that wouldn't be done otherwise.

But yeah, QuickLooks are in trouble without Patrick he did a vast majority of them in the past few months. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

etc, etc

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who instantly realised this with the news. QLs are done by the dudes in the office - with Alex only really doing additional content and Bombasticas. Patrick will be doing the same, and obviously Spookin - which is subscriber only.

I think the thread title pretty much sums it up: "With Patrick leaving, the crew needs to step up their game."

I know Ryan is organising much of their E3 stuff, Jeff has been jet setting recently, etc but jeez. Vinny - who set up those new PCs in the office, has been learning Linux for their backup stuff, has a kid back at home and a million other things to worry about - posted an AWESOME 2h Bioforge stream yesterday.

Freaking. Bioforge.

That alone should invalidate "but there are no games coming out" arguments. That was the best video this month. Plus, he's on camera more often now, and was in the majority of this week's quick looks.

The other guys need to step up their game because content is what this site is about - and clearly some are pulling their weight more than others on that side of things at the moment.

Anyway - I just miss the days where I used to hit up the site at midnight to catch the latest video content because that's when it published in Sydney time. Sure, they no longer do ERs, but seriously - DOTA archives? That is our daily content now? I thought that was what Youtube was for.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

Someone needs to take Drew's job of screwing with editing and behinds the scenes stuff so we can put that guy in front of the camera more.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah fucking dota? Really? That's what we are going to hang our hats on?

The most generic laziest content that literaly anyone can do?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Animasta

@jz said:

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah fucking dota? Really? That's what we are going to hang our hats on?

I don't like the DOTA stuff either but you can say that about literally any quick look.

"fucking Persona 4? Really?"

the dota 2 stuff is boring because it's just Brad.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Having been around since 2008, I must say that to me, the website have been declining since 2011. No more video reviews, barely any reviews, no more TANGs or stuff of that nature. It seems like the giantbomb crew are getting... comfortable in doing less and less. Which is sad. I just can't come around here and expect day-one reviews like in the good old times.

6n00bkilla9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By 6n00bkilla9

What is wrong with all of you Jeff is the kewlest shit in the world and I love all of his content you can tell how much he loves this stuff he has more passion than anyone. He flew to the PlayStation event because he lovessss games! The content is great and these guys are not lazy. Screw you. You don't know what they do everyday and don't assume that does nothing. I love this site and it helps me relax and laugh at the end of the day. Most of you should be ashamed of what your saying you have no idea what it takes to run a website. Maybe you should work harder at your jobs and careers and get some real happyness instead of calling other people lazy or they need to "step up". Grow up and enjoy what this awesome site and the awesome people do for it!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@jz said:

I don't like the DOTA stuff either but you can say that about literally any quick look.

"fucking Persona 4? Really?"

the dota 2 stuff is boring because it's just Brad.

I'm with Jeff in saying that no - it's boring because it's DOTA.

I really liked Breaking Brad (#TeamBrad etc was awesome last year) and the Bradly May Cry stuff is great too. All of the guys have produced great video in the past, but publishing 1-2h recordings of your daily DOTA play isn't that. Especially when there are many places to get that stuff elsewhere which are likely more informative and closer to the actual DOTA community.

Find me a place which even remotely approaches Vinny + Patrick's Bioforge coverage and we'll talk.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By 71Ranchero
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This year I've been consistently impressed with Patrick's work ethic, enthusiasm, and dedication to doing stuff. Alex has been doing more writing (which I can't get enough of), while Patrick's been experimenting with something new on a monthly basis. I like the whole crew but it's interesting that the more recent additions to GB are pumping out some of my favorite content.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm having a great time on the site. Though I hope having a smaller in-house team gets the original 4 guys to convince the higher ups that they need to do more content themselves, instead of being stuck in meetings.

But Patrick leaving now sucks as much as Rorie's original departure, Alex's move, and Sara's move. Dave's the site god so that may have bummed me out just a little more (considering he's also off the staff now).

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Animasta

@selfconfessedcynic: all I'm saying is that Vinny could make the daily dota thing fun. not approaching bioforge of course (I don't think much of anything can approach that, really)

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta: people would go crazy for more persona 4 content. Don't even act like they wouldn't.

If they were to played literally any other atlus rpg, that would be the ff7 remake of video content.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man, this thread had me worried, I hadn't read worth reading this week, I thought he was leaving the site. I'm glad he'll still be around- his stuff is always... Worth reading.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There seems to be a bit of confusion among some people in this thread who maybe haven't read Patrick's own comments on the move. Patrick is moving to Chicago, but he is still going to be the news editor and producing a steady stream of content for the site. He might not be sitting in on QLs or the Bombcast after the move, but he'll still very much be an active component of GB.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@selfconfessedcynic: all I'm saying is that Vinny could make the daily dota thing fun. not approaching bioforge of course (I don't think much of anything can approach that, really)

Now THAT I'd watch :D - but Vinny can only do so much. I don't want it to become how Rorie one-man-team'd Screened for a year, if anything, with respect for Vinny's family life.

Either way, the DOTA complaints are a bit short sighted, I guess, as in all likeliness those videos will stop with next week's XBOX stuff and the ensuing E3 juggernaut. Of course, then we get back to "well, where is the daily content then?"

I have trust in the team, but I've always believed in giving both negative and (more importantly) positive feedback when I can. Here is hoping they hear stuff like what is voiced in this thread and make moves to get out of those damn meetings.

@6n00bkilla9 said:

What is wrong with all of you Jeff is the kewlest shit in the world and I love all of his content you can tell how much he loves this stuff he has more passion than anyone. He flew to the PlayStation event because he lovessss games! The content is great and these guys are not lazy. Screw you. You don't know what they do everyday and don't assume that does nothing. I love this site and it helps me relax and laugh at the end of the day. Most of you should be ashamed of what your saying you have no idea what it takes to run a website. Maybe you should work harder at your jobs and careers and get some real happyness instead of calling other people lazy or they need to "step up". Grow up and enjoy what this awesome site and the awesome people do for it!

Okay, fair enough.

I think I'm facing what many fans of Nintendo did during the Wii days and onwards of seeing something you really love decline (from your perspective anyway).

My harsh words come from a place of wanting the site to do well and keep growing.

*ehm*

with that all said.

I WANT MORE INTERESTING CONTENT! ARRRRRRGGH!

Zecks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Zecks23

Reading this thread is making me depressed, I didn't feel like it was that bad feeling like Patrick will keep up the content pretty well but then you just zapped me dry Giant Bomb. I'm not an optimist by a long shot but Giant Bomb has always been great, let's have some faith here!

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: patrick actually physically being in office is the only reason 80% quicklooks get made.

You how he's been in almost all the for the past year.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ive always been impressed with Patricks efforts and never understood the backlash against him.

Nothing endures and even GB needs new blood.

I recall Jeff talking about the days at GS on the podcast. How they were supposed to train their own replacements to keep the age down.

Ive sorta seen Patrick as Jeffs replacement for a while now. But who will/can continue the torch for the rest of the guys?..

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been on this website for a while now. I remember times when Jeff would get GTA4 at midnight and play it in a stream and then do a whole podcast segment about it. I remember the times when they would go to best buy and then film a video about it and then Vinny had to climb a fridge for some reason. The guys would stay up late waiting for xbox live to die and Vinny would play guitar as background noise for Halo 2. From my understanding all of that was done by a handful of people in a basement.

This was truly the golden era. I understand that those days will never come back for a whole lot of reasons I ain't gonna get into and I accept it.

There are a lot of people on the internet who are starting up and are doing what the guys were doing back in the early years of Giantbomb. They are putting up content daily and doing streams and reviews and all that but they are missing an essential piece of the puzzle; the one piece that would make me quit GB and watch them instead as my main source of video game entertainement: They aren't the Bombcrew.

They aren't Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, or Brad. None of them have the extensive knowledge of video games and hip hop that Jeff has. None of them have the abraisive attitude and general life experience of Ryan. None of them have the charm or humor or work ethic of Vinny. None of them have the soothing voice and diverging opinions of Brad.

That's why the lack of enthusiasm of the crew bums me out so much, because they are far and away the most interesting personalities on the web. If they don't want to do this anymore I understand, but the fact that they stick around and occasionally show signs of brilliance before once again falling into their old apathetic attitudes kills me on the inside.

They are the Dr Dre of video game websites.

Just release Detox a new Endurance Run already and get it over with. Even if everyone hates it at least it will be over it and there won't be any complaining about lack of content. There are only two ways this can end, either it sucks and we finally know that it's truly time to hang it up and move on; or the new ER is a smashing success that is loved by many and ushers in a new era of giant bombs.

I may have not liked aspects of Patrick's days in the office at times, but like everyone else here I agree that he was far and away the most enthusiastic of the bunch and was a breath of fresh air for GB. He will be missed, and especially more so if his contributions to the site go unmatched once he's in Chicago.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@bocam said:
No Caption Provided

@mariachimacabre do you feel lied to?

@big_jon said:

I would really like to see a new endurance run though, I am annoyed at how resistant the staff seems to them, I think one a year is perfectly reasonable and the are just enjoyable to watch.

They've been doing Endurance Runs. They're just Premium only

I FEEL BETRAYED. But no I understand he would want to break the news on his own. I'm just bummed that he's leaving.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By casper_

Dude they made quicklooks before Patrick I don't see why they would suddenly stop now due to some percieved lack of interest in video games

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 chaser324  Moderator

@jz: Yeah, I understand that things are definitely going to change, but I just wanted to clarify the situation for the people in this thread that seemed to be under the impression that he was disappearing completely.

This is going to be interesting to watch how it plays out. The guys in the office are going to have to do something to fill some of the gaps with Patrick out of the office, specifically with regards to coverage of some of the indie titles that seem to get little to no attention from anyone else.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Can't you as a moderator edit titles of threads? It seems to me that some confusion could be avoided by it being something more like "With Patrick taking a backseat" or "With Patrick assuming a different role" instead of "With Patrick leaving".

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick's leaving? OK.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely get where you're coming from, and I agree. Out of the entire staff, the bulk of the editorial staff all have a "I give no shits about games outside my personal comfort zone" attitude that is clearly visible. While they are able to draw people in despite that rather toxic attitude due to the sheer magnetism of their personalities, it's been increasingly hard to ignore when placed along side Patrick's, shall we say, far more adventurous spirit.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TruthTellah

@chaser324: Can't you as a moderator edit titles of threads? It seems to me that some confusion could be avoided by it being something more like "With Patrick taking a backseat" or "With Patrick assuming a different role" instead of "With Patrick leaving".

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny_says said:

I've been on this website for a while now. I remember times when Jeff would get GTA4 at midnight and play it in a stream and then do a whole podcast segment about it. I remember the times when they would go to best buy and then film a video about it and then Vinny had to climb a fridge for some reason. The guys would stay up late waiting for xbox live to die and Vinny would play guitar as background noise for Halo 2. From my understanding all of that was done by a handful of people in a basement.

This was truly the golden era. I understand that those days will never come back for a whole lot of reasons I ain't gonna get into and I accept it.

There are a lot of people on the internet who are starting up and are doing what the guys were doing back in the early years of Giantbomb. They are putting up content daily and doing streams and reviews and all that but they are missing an essential piece of the puzzle; the one piece that would make me quit GB and watch them instead as my main source of video game entertainement: They aren't the Bombcrew.

They aren't Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, or Brad. None of them have the extensive knowledge of video games and hip hop that Jeff has. None of them have the abraisive attitude and general life experience of Ryan. None of them have the charm or humor or work ethic of Vinny. None of them have the soothing voice and diverging opinions of Brad.

Well said, good sir. The golden era may be over, but the reasons we loved it are still here. Maybe a bit older, maybe a bit weathered, but still here. I hope they can find it within themselves to bring it on.

BUT

They are the Dr Dre of video game websites.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK GODDAMN IT.

But yes, I disagree with doing an ER for the sake of it - the Random PC Game-esque stuff they've been putting out, and Bradley May Cry, etc are good. I just want more of that good new stuff rather than rehashing the old - assuming they just don't want to do another ER.

That said, I'm all the way fucking on board if they do another ER any day.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely get where you're coming from, and I agree. Out of the entire staff, the bulk of the editorial staff all have a "I give no shits about games outside my personal comfort zone" attitude that is clearly visible. While they are able to draw people in despite that rather toxic attitude due to the sheer magnetism of their personalities, it's been increasingly hard to ignore when placed along side Patrick's, shall we say, far more adventurous spirit.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TruthTellah

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By McGhee

@truthtellah: I edited my original post to clarify. If people post without reading then it's on them.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 chaser324  Moderator

@mcghee: I also edited the title to say moving instead of leaving. Unfortunately, it's hard to clarify any more than that and stay within the 60 character limit.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: @mcghee: Alrighty. It definitely seems a lot clearer now. That should help more people better understand what is actually happening. :)

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait what? Patrick is pulling an Alex too? D: ... I´ll be honest at first I was like "ugh Patrick" But now that Scoops is all cool in my books he moves out? Damn ... and yes his vitality is much needed , I think that Brad is ok because at least he tries new stuff ( not that Dota 2 is new but kinf of new to him, well you get the idea). So yeah I think that Jeff and Ryan need to step up and try other things from time to time. Vinny is cool and all and yes more Drew / Alexis time would be cool.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw this really sucks. I really enjoyed Patrick's videos. From what people have said I really wish I was around during 2008. I knew the site existed but never visited consistently until 2011, which is when people claim the site started to go downhill (I still love it but I wish I was here right from the beginning like some people).

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So odd. I read about this news when Led Zeppelin "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" was playing on my sound system.

Well I wasn't the biggest fan, at times, but I always respected him. Wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

On a side note, I don't get the whole "Doom and Gloom" feeling the comments have. GIantbomb has been here before and it will be here after.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm gonna miss Patrick and his video content but I understand him wanting to go back to where his family is. The thing I'm worried about like everyone else is the amount of content coming out. I mean seriously does anyone know what Ryan does? The only content I see from him is the bombcast whichever love but still does that take all week to do?

Not trying to shit on him I know he must be doing something else but what exactly is he doing?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#94  Edited By Hailinel

@mordukai said:

So odd. I read about this news when Led Zeppelin "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" was playing on my sound system.

Well I wasn't the biggest fan, at times, but I always respected him. Wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

On a side note, I don't get the whole "Doom and Gloom" feeling the comments have. GIantbomb has been here before and it will be here after.

Patrick isn't going anywhere. He's still part of Giant Bomb; he just won't be in the San Francisco office anymore.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TruthTellah

@mordukai said:

People are just scared. Change is unsettling. They'll turn around once the initial freaking out ebbs off.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#96  Edited By triple07

I'm gonna miss Patrick and his video content but I understand him wanting to go back to where his family is. The thing I'm worried about like everyone else is the amount of content coming out. I mean seriously does anyone know what Ryan does? The only content I see from him is the bombcast whichever love but still does that take all week to do?

Not trying to shit on him I know he must be doing something else but what exactly is he doing?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you're saying we need Marcus and his PSP?