Would My Platform Forums Suggestion Work Well?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

I think the platform forums should work much like the general forum, but only show content related to that platform. So, any thread created in a Wii game forum, would also show up in the Wii platform forum, as it does in the general forum.

That way you won't have to search for every single game you want to discuss if debates are still active, and since most people won't even bother searching but instead only respond when and if they see it on the general or platform forum, it will encourage discussion further.

The general board alone is not enough as posts there can be buried too fast, while traffic in platform boards is a little slower and discussions tend to last longer. At least, I haven't seen any of the threads related to a game that isn't super-popular get many responses when they're put in the game forum alone, while when they're put in the platform board they seem to have a better chance to spark casual discussion from bystanders that wouldn't have searched for the game on their own.

Well, that's my 2 cents, because I think only having game related threads in the game's forum, as the moderators ask of us, will only will make people not respond as much. You may think it's only one extra step to take, but you don't go to the forum to discuss just one thing, so it will be one extra step for say, 15 different games, which is 15 extra steps and quite unintuitive.

It may help newcomers more in the long term since they can see all the past discussions easy, but in the short term I think discussion will just decrease altogether. I think my suggestion caters to both possibilities just fine, I just don't know if I explained it very well. What do you think?

There's no suggestion board that I can see or I'd have put it there mind you.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Tylea002

This kind of searching and finding important threads is what favourite boards are for.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Which is why I'm talking about encouraging casual discussion, and not only having people discuss their favorite things alone. Even so, would there be something negative about making the platform boards work like I say? I see you voted C. What would be so wrong?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Can C voters at least try to justify their reasoning? What would be so negative about changing it? You'd still have all the functions and threads you do now, but you would also see the related game threads without having to search for the specific game on your own. You'd still be able to create platform threads only, just as this is a general thread only. It would be like a second, but filtered by platform, general forum.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I like that Idea. Perhaps a small bit at the top (maybe 10 posts or so) that shows posts actually in the platforms forum, and then below that it will be a larger section to show posts from any game on that platform. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

True, that would be great also, if people really want their "just platform" threads more prominent. A great compromise from my suggestion.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By mike

I like it, it's certainly better than what we have now. The only problem is that it sounds like a very labor-intensive solution for the engineers to have to deal with.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
MB said:
"I like it, it's certainly better than what we have now. The only problem is that it sounds like a very labor-intensive solution for the engineers to have to deal with."
It's not necessarily tricky for the engineers to do. They have the favourite boards feature, which people can add whatever forums they want to their favorites, and it compiles all of those into one board.  Well surely it could just be an extension of that coding, but instead of users putting forums onto it, games are automatically added to it if they are on X platform.

Obviously, I know nothing about website coding, so it could be far more difficult than I think, but that seems logical to me.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r
Al3xand3r said:
"It would be like a second, but filtered by platform, general forum."
Simple, yeah? And third, and fourth, etc of course, there's not just one platform. And if you don't understand it, don't vote. And of course I'm not forcing anyone to implement anything. They do have programmers that constantly tweak the forums, fix bugs, implement new things, and this could be one more if the community likes it better than how it is now. Or it could be something to consider for the future. Or it could be shot down for valid reasons and never spoken of again, rather than be shot down because you're wondering who's the programmer for it >_>
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
theMcNasty said:
"On top of that, someone has to program whatever you're suggesting.  I don't think anyone's going to pay Ted Technician $30 /hr. to put through any suggestions you're making here."
What do you think the site engineers are payed to do? Sit on their asses all day? No, they're payed to make improvements to the site. And they love doing it too. Obviously, which things they decide to do is up to them, but I think this is a cool idea, and hopeffully, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By mike
theMcNasty said:
     By your authority, I expect this webcode update soon."
Stop trying to derail this thread please. Thanks. Back on topic folks.
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By HazBazz

I really like this idea. Thats all I really have to say

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

I am definitely in favour of this. in my eyes it would certainly prolong discussion far better than currently, it would also make the forum easier to use by many, both moderators and members. 

In truth, commentors should not have to go through the hassle of looking into a game page, topic creators on the other hand definitely should when creating topics.  I have been guilty of posting in the Wii forum more than I perhaps do on specific game pages. The reason for that is, a while ago people would complain to me and say, "why post it there, nobody's going to see it"  While I still think that's true to a small degree, I have noticed in recent weeks that more members are now posting on specific game pages, which is certainly encouraging. Still, it's not striking up a level of discussion anywhere near as well as it could do, with some tweaking.

I think this idea would aid all the forums on the site. I can see no negative ramifications from putting into effect such a feature, none at all. I also don't think it would be too difficult to implement, we do already systems in place that work in a similar fashion.

I hope that like myself other members will change their posting habits, they should seek the game specific forums and test the current system, that way when a revision of the site is on the cards, coonce & co will have better idea of what they need to do.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

There's one thing I'm unsure of that doesn't seem to be mentioned yet. Would this affect multi-platform games or just exclusives?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Good idea. If the staff can find time, I think this could be a great addition.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

@Lord:

If multiplatform games have a single forum for all versions, then that's already a little flawed, and by extention it would kinda flaw my suggestion as well. It's probably a tiny minority of the posting that will be done. After all, if you have something to say about the PS3 version of a game, it probably applies to the 360 version as well, while if the games are so different that it doesn't apply, then they should perhaps have their own separate forums anyway.

Basically, if the system is flawed without my suggestion, it will still be flawed with it, while if they fix it outside the suggestion, the suggestion will be fixed also. I think. I've not really used the forums much past the platform forums, which is why I make this suggestion now that we're driven to use the platform forums less in favor of the game forums.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By AgentJ

I've been thinking that this would be a big improvement ever since I joined the site. I was worried that topics on individual games wouldnt get as much love, especially over the long run. This would make sure that good game-related topics get the attention they deserve, even after dropping off the first page on the main forum page. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

Well, I can see that as a person creates a forum topic, before it gets posted, you can click off not only the main forum, i.e. Playstation 2, but also "Persona 3", "Persona 3 FES" and "Shin Megami Tensei Series".   And visa-versa, if you made a topic for Bioshock 2, it could be linked to show up in Bioshock 1,  Xbox 360 and PC forums, if you checked off those boxes.  It would take some coding to link them all so that the topic creator can see all the reasonable choices and not have access to every possible forum around.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
LordAndrew said:
"There's one thing I'm unsure of that doesn't seem to be mentioned yet. Would this affect multi-platform games or just exclusives? "
With multiplat games, if the versions are significantly different, they should have separate game pages anyway. They should only be on the same game page if they are the same game, with small changes. So if, for example you were talking about the 360 version of Assassins Creed on the Assassins Creed board, it wouldn't really matter if that got put on the PS3 board too, because the versions are so similar, it doesn't matter.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yah, what Matty said :)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

Anyone else? :)

And again, why does nobody that votes C actually explain what would be so bad with this, and maybe suggest a solution and vote B instead?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Dalai

It gets the Dalai seal of approval.

I don't give these out to just anybody.
I don't give these out to just anybody.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

I like it.

The Poster would have an option to add it to a specific game forum and the platform forum, much like a blog, but advanced. The Post would show up on the Game Forum and the Platform Forum, but would be the same post. So... much like blogs, if you post in the Game Forum, it would automatically appear on the Platform Forum. The priority post would be the platform forum if selected.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Thanks Dalai, I'll wear it with pride.