Would you like it if Giantbomb were more like Netflix?

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MistaSparkle

This is just my opinion, but I think that if Giantbomb functioned more like Netflix it would be even more useful and cool than it already is. Here's what I mean:  
1. I want to be able to rate any game I play, 1-5 stars, without having to write a review. 
2.From that rating, I want recommendations to games I may like and games that other people liked that are similar to mine. 
I think that these features would be really cool and make this site even better! If you have any opinion on this I would like to hear it. Thanks!

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DoctorWelch

I've thought of this before too, I think it would be a pretty cool thing to add. Lets get these guys on the phone.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

That would be a really neat feature to add in the future. It seems a little out of scope right now because of all stuff they are doing right now but I definitely think it is a good idea. :D

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Interfect

Except fan boys will rate thing unfairly. All of a sudden if you rate Halo highly. You'll get recommendations for every 360 exclusive ever made and what not.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Alex_V

I'd like Jeff to turn up at my house in the post.

Then a day or two later, when I'm fed up with him talking about Wrestling and the CD32, I'd like to be able to pop him back in an envelope and away.

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By memo

I would like this.

whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By whitesox

This would be a terrible idea in practice.

Some Xbox owner rates Killzone 2 1 star without having to explain or elaborate on his views.  Same thing goes for grudge holding PS3 owners.  It just doesn't average out to a fair score.  

Now if some guy wants to give Reach 1 star, and tell me why, I welcome him to do so.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brendan

It would be good if the only way to vote for a game is if you had achievements on your connected profile, that way only people who have played the game could put the vote into the system.  Of course, it would only be really useful if Sony would wake the fuck up and allow trophy support on GB (stupid Sony). 
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By alternate

Screened lets you rate movies so sounds like that would be easy to add for games.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By damnboyadvance

It could lead to spam. So no. Nothing is really wrong with the system in place right now, but the recommendations thing would be cool.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Some jack ass would rate something low without playing the game like a Halo hater which will mess up the system. 

Recommendations based on what you played and gave a full review to would be cool.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By EVHKwick

I'd like this idea if they could separate it from the average score of the written reviews. Have a separate Quick Review score.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ISuperGamerI

It's a good idea but as we know fanboys exist and they will hate on games that they have never played nor want to every play so there has to be some type of system to prevent this.

Needle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Needle

I like the idea of only users with connected achievements for a game to be able to review, but unfortunately since we don't have universal support for achievements and trophies on the net (thanks Sony) it probably wouldn't work.

How about if you rate something a 1 star or a 5 star, you have to write a qualifying statement in 100 characters or less? Most people who rate things extremely high or extremely low can't form 100-character sentences anyway. Those reviews can be then further flagged as helpful or unhelpful, and eventually validated or trashed.

I guess that's a bit complicated though.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By adoggz

wait, so the if I were to subscribe they would ship me disks with their videos on them? that seems stupid, I like it.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By vager

I would like to just be able to keep track of my own ratings of each game. So I know what games I love, hated or didn't care for over the years.
Wouldn't care much what the overall user rating would be.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mnzy

That's sounds really good.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MistaSparkle
@Brendan said:
" It would be good if the only way to vote for a game is if you had achievements on your connected profile,"
Either this or, at the least, have the game show up on your profile saying you've played it and only then can you rate it.@alternate said:
" Screened lets you rate movies so sounds like that would be easy to add for games. "
I've never noticed this on Screened. Does it work well? @Vager said:
" I would like to just be able to keep track of my own ratings of each game. So I know what games I love, hated or didn't care for over the years."
Yeah me too, my thoughts exactly.
TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By TheMasterDS

The being able to rate without a review is how Screened works, so I'm all for it turning up here. Additionally, you should be able to rate from a list so I can just do it from my Collection. Also, it should show ratings in the lists in question.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By KaosAngel

...duders, how about Giant Bomb open up the API so we can stream Netflix while we forum.   The top half is the Netflix video, and the bottom half is real time forums...O_O

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By williamhenry
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" Some jack ass would rate something low without playing the game like a Halo hater which will mess up the system.  Recommendations based on what you played and gave a full review to would be cool. "

The haters get evened out by the fanboys, so I don't see a problem. For every user who rates a game a 1 without playing, theres another that gives it a 5. It works for Screened, so why not GB?
Satsugai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#22  Edited By Satsugai

I was under the impression that netflix only gave recommendations based on how you personally rated things, not anyone else and the more you rate, the better the approximation. Kinda invalidates the whole fear of fanboy thing since it'd only shit up their own recommendations.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By meteora

In theory that is a good idea. 

But in practice, it isn't. Recent games that have been released has gotten critical negative reception from the userbase, such as MW2's lack of dedicated servers and SC2 not having any LAN. Its just jackasses who ruin the whole system.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MistaSparkle
@Satsugai said:
" I was under the impression that netflix only gave recommendations based on how you personally rated things, not anyone else and the more you rate, the better the approximation. Kinda invalidates the whole fear of fanboy thing since it'd only shit up their own recommendations. "
...Oh yeahhh. So it WOULD work, then, right?
Satsugai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#25  Edited By Satsugai
@MistaSparkle:  theoretically, yeah, but everyone else seems to be ignoring that point.
Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By Heartagram
@Vager said:
" I would like to just be able to keep track of my own ratings of each game. So I know what games I love, hated or didn't care for over the years.Wouldn't care much what the overall user rating would be. "
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

This is an interesting idea, but the problem is (at least on Netflix) you need to rate a lot of movies before it starts suggesting things that you actually will enjoy.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dany

Seems like a complicated system to create but a great one if made. Only caviate is that you must have played the game before you can rate it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Branthog

I like the idea of utilizing it as an Amazon-style reccommendation system. As long as it isn't implemented into some sort of site presentation of "Giant Bomb gives it a 4 out of 5 and 14,256 users give it a rating of 2.5 out of 5!". If you can't be bothered to construct even a short review, then your effort to just click an icon shouldn't be given much weight, either. But as a means of automated recommendation? Yeah, I wouldn't mind that so much, I guess.

seishiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By seishiro

@Satsugai: Heh, internet ;p

Only one problem though, and Sony / Wii users here already ran into it: it depends on whether the platform holders allow the data to be accessed.

@PenguinDust: Come on, where that sense of adventure? Let's follow in Alex Navarro's footsteps and have our own 30 days of HATE ;p

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By aleryn

No thanks.  Just make a list of your favorites with details.  Contribute more than a click!

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RVonE

I don't want the rating stuff; that only leads to a horrible mess. I DO like the idea of recommendations. If they can implement it in such a way that it works as well as it does on Amazon I'm all for it.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cstrang
@whitesox said:
" This would be a terrible idea in practice.  Some Xbox owner rates Killzone 2 1 star without having to explain or elaborate on his views.  Same thing goes for grudge holding PS3 owners.  It just doesn't average out to a fair score.    Now if some guy wants to give Reach 1 star, and tell me why, I welcome him to do so. "
Truth, this.

Plus, Dave hates this suggestion.  I know he does.
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bravetoaster
@ISuperGamerI said:
" It's a good idea but as we know fanboys exist and they will hate on games that they have never played nor want to every play so there has to be some type of system to prevent this. "
this
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm personally not a fan of people just assigning ratings with no explanation. I came up with an idea a long long long time ago called "microreviews". It essentially combines the concepts of user reviews and twitter. It would be a mini review of the game, with a rating, that gives people a chance to explain their rating with a short comment (the character limit shouldn't be as short as twitter though). Because, lets face it, not everyone has time to write a detailed review on every game. But just giving a score doesn't really give any information about the game, and attracts fanboys to give a games they've never played 1 or 5 star ratings (i.e. a sony fanboy rating all the halo games 1 star, and all the PS3 exclusives 5 stars). Giving small reviews with your rating means that dumb ratings/reviews can either be moderated, or people can see that the review/rating is dumb and ignore it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Branthog

I think the point you are all missing (at least, I hope this was the poster's intention) is that the ratings are for providing the system with a history to base recommendations on. This should all be behind the scenes. This should not be something which transforms into a user-community score that is posted anywhere on the site. You should be able to see a list of your own ratings that you have left, so you can adjust them -- but these should not be used as a substitute for encouraging people to write thoughtful reviews or having intelligent discussions. 

However, I also don't know how necessary it is to have a recommendation system. Anything that isn't more or less current generation is going to be hard or impossible to find and buy and anything current or almost current generation . . . well, do you really need recommendations? You probably have an idea if you'll like it before it launches and based on reviews. Plus, there are a lot of little things that can make recommendations difficult. For example, all the little nuances that make one FPS completely different than another which might be very difficult to apply to some sort of suggestion algorithm.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MistaSparkle

Really this all just stemmed from me wanting to have a record of which games I liked and which games I didn't. People could also argue that that is what the Favorites list is for, but in the list you can't pick from 1-5 stars. I think if I could just choose how many stars on the page of the game and then that went to a place on my profile that would be cool because I can always reference it. Also other users could see how rated a game. The referring games things would be really cool IMO but just having the rating system would be nice!