Building a satisfying character in RPGs; how anal are you?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By penguindust

Following a post by natetodamax, I dusted off my copy of Final Fantasy XII and started playing it.  This was my first experience with the game and my first Final Fantasy in a very long time.  I’ve been more of a Dragon Quest fan for a few years now, but I’ve been meaning to refresh my connection to Final Fantasy for a while now.  I know that FF XIII is newer and prettier, but I’ve had an unplayed copy of FF XII on my shelf for a while now.  Plus, I remember hearing lots of comparisons between Dragon Age: Origins’ combat tactics and Final Fantasy XII’s gambits system and I wanted to see it for myself.  I know, some people will say “the game sucks, don’t play it” but I’m playing now and will continue to do so until I get bored or distracted by something shinier.

FF XII License Board
 FF XII License Board
The game has this odd checkerboard system of items and licenses.  In order to use a particular weapon, armor, skill and spell you need to also have a corresponding license.  Following combat, in addition to gaining experience points, you also get a license point for each enemy defeated.  You then spend those points to unlock licenses.  The checkerboard has all the licenses but you can’t see them all.  When you unlock a license, you can preview two adjacent licenses.  There are a lot of licenses available for the player to choose from.  The problem is you can’t properly chart your character’s progression unless you know what all the licenses are.  If you want to develop a magic-centric character or craft a party member as axe-wielding “tank”, then you need to pick specific licenses.  Of course, you’d never know that you need to take two licenses in bows before you can unlock the axes group if you didn’t peek at online resources ahead of time.  And, yes I did just that.

Would you like to buy the strategy guide, too?
 Would you like to buy the strategy guide, too?
Is it “cheating”?  Yes, absolutely but I have no problem with this sort of corruption.  It occurred to me that I do this a lot while playing RPGs, both Western and Japanese.  I really enjoy shaping my characters to my own liking and games don’t usually give you much advice for building a character to its best potential.  At the outset, I’ll start with the purest of intentions, but somewhere along the way, I become overwhelmed by the multitude of choices before me.  Do I have the points available in Dragon Age to pop a few into some useful-right-now-useless-later-on skill?  Is it wise for my Dragon Quest IX mage to learn whips until better attack spells are introduced?  And, so I turn to the internet for answers.  I’m not usually looking for point-by-point “builds” as written by others, but I do seek out the needed information to craft the character as I would like them to be.  If I am being completely honest, I also tend to look up recipes for gear, spells, potions, and even personas.    

Most of the time, I’m only going to play a game once and I want that experience to be as enjoyable as I can make it.  I don’t like playing “guessing games” when faced with skill point management.  I might get things wrong in my builds, but I know that I was as informed as I could be before making my decisions.  

Is anyone else like this, or are you more haphazard when assigning skill points and the like?    
PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By PixelPrinny

I'll usually just go with whatever I feel like the first time through without looking at a guide to figure out the best way to optimize characters. The second playthrough, however, it's no holds barred and I'll optimize the hell out of my characters using walkthroughs and FAQs, making sure to do all of the optional stuff that I probably missed my first time through. 

If I'm a good 10 or so hours into a game and I'm convinced that I'll probably never play through it again, I'll sometimes pull out the guides then and there, since I may as well get as much enjoyment out of the one time I intend on playing through the game. But this is generally more for finding side-quests or knowing which dialog options to pick from instead of specifically optimizing my characters stats. I generally find pumping everything into whatever Attack Power stat the game offers works well (often I'll just focus on completely decking out one character and making them nigh-invicible while the others just act as make-shift meat shields), and weapons are more of an aesthetic preference. Of course there are games that break this mold, but such games are typically the kind I enjoy playing through more than once. 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

I wouldn't say I'm haphazard by any means. 

I want to be successful, but I'm not a number cruncher.  I will play a build that I enjoy as long as it's viable.  If it's not viable then I'll switch.  But otherwise, don't expect me to switch just because it's not THE build.

I want to figure the game out on my own, not have someone else do it for me.  I figure out points on my own along the way.  And often times later I will check a guide or someone else's build to see how they did it.  I will rarely copy a build. 

Also, that skill system you described for FFXIII sounds incredibly convoluted.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By phantomzxro

Granted it been awhile from when i played FF12 but i don't remember it being a big deal for me. I do understand where you are coming from and if you are truly trying to min/max it then yes it can be a problem. But for me i just had a basic cut out of what i wanted each character to be and they all got to that part with not too much wasted skills used.  

Also i feel the battle system was a little bit different in FF12 then most rpgs. In that for the most part everyone was a blank slate and you could make them what you want. Also i found that in later game and all the extra missions you will be exchanging out characters quite a bit so it was good that some characters were well rounded and shared some skills. Also i feel it was more normal to have most of your party master or be good in a few weapon classes. Also magic, armor  and  accessories    played a bigger part in the min/max of your crew inFF12.  

but to answer you question most times i play it by ear when setting skills for my party members and i try to create my own idea of what i want each character to be. A few wasted skills don't matter too much in most rpgs and the ones it do often time they have a reskill tool or you do some research first and i don't count that as cheating.
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Chummy8

I want to be able to create a flawed character.  Like a guy with so little strength, the best way for him to survive is by talking.  You know, hardcore. 

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By sameeeeam
@PixelPrinny said:
" I'll usually just go with whatever I feel like the first time through without looking at a guide to figure out the best way to optimize characters. The second playthrough, however, it's no holds barred and I'll optimize the hell out of my characters using walkthroughs and FAQs, making sure to do all of the optional stuff that I probably missed my first time through.                                         "
This is what I usually do as well.
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By 234r2we232

I don't know what RPG's you play because I've never seen a Anal class.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

My brain works by grouping things into roles. I build my AoE nuke character to deal with the hordes, my tank/melee scrapper to run in and group everything for my nuke, my healer to obviously keep everyone alive and then I just round them out with a couple chars that I think compliment them in situations I always find myself getting into. If I find I'm losing at bosses because I don't have any good single target DPS then I will try to focus on building something that can do that, or if it's not available or it would cut into one of my other chars powers then a good de-buffer/buffer. 

It all depends on the game though, as each one has its own set of rules with its own checks and balances. 

EDIT: I min/max with what makes sense for me based on what I know of the games rules at that point, and common sense from my 20+ years of playing RPGs, but I never look at guides to figure stuff out. The whole fun of those games is learning how stuff works and figuring out what works best in what situations. I like knowing that I can build a broken character, because then I learn the hard way why it's broken and what not to do the next time around.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm much less anal about character building than I am about decision making. I'll load a save a dozen times just to see all the options play out before I stick to one.

However I do tend to hold as many of my unlock/upgrade points as long as I can when playing RPGs. I like to see how far I can get before I actually need to spend those points. And in games like Mount and Blade where you can get more skill points by spending attribute points in a certain way, I'll often do that to pile up as many skill points as I can so I can max out abilities instantly in case I need to.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By habster3

Since I'm a little too anal when it comes to these kinds of games, I abstain from playing most of them.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gregomasta
@TekZero said:
" I want to be able to create a flawed character.  Like a guy with so little strength, the best way for him to survive is by talking.  You know, hardcore.  "
Baller
PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I'm not very anal when it comes to maximizing skills and so on. Looks is a different story though. I can spend hours just looking at how badass I can make my character look.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Mess around, reload and level myself in different ways a few times, find the one that I like most and stick with it.  By the time I get to a high level I have a pretty good idea of exactly what I want out of a character.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By animateria

FF12 you end up with everything in the end, especially using that item that boosts your LP gain.  

I only did serious character stat stuff in WoW.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By MysteriousBob

Not even remotely.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By sparklykiss

I never look at a guide for games that are like Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, and all that. I go with what I feel like at that time. And experiment with my points. Or Borderlands. I especially love when a game lets me respec all of my stats if I find the right tome or just buy the restat. I'm willing to start over a game to play a new character and experiment some more. 

Although, I do tend to peek at guides for things like MapleStory. >.> I fucked up my bandit and refuse to pay real money to get 5 points back. That was terrible.

TommyUnderwear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TommyUnderwear

How Anal do I get??  Balls Deep Baby.  

Honestly though, not too bothered about specs and shit.  Have a fire spec mage in wow with shite damage output but I love the way it plays so not bothered by figures. 

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By Catolf

I'm not really picky at first but I suppose it depends on the character.

If the character is weak I bump up what they are good at be it magic or attack or sometimes just health.. I'm not to picky at first though I should be!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew

When I opened this thread and saw the license board, I nearly died. I don't know if that answers your question or not, but please be more careful in the future.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blueduck

Just the tip.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By project343

I always try to specialize my characters--as specialization is typically the key to success in most RPGs. Just started playing Fallout: New Vegas--and I'm making it my goal to max out my non-combat skills prior to anything else. With their companion system, the game is very accommodating, and I still manage to whiz by a bunch of encounters through non-combat options. It works out.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

Most RPGs offer respec options so I don't sweat it.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Green_Incarnate

It took me three hours to get past the character creator in Oblivion.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By StarvingGamer

My need to min/max in an RPG is the reason why I fucking HATE ElderScrolls games. 

I love DA2 because of the insane amount of transparency they put into their stat/skill system. 

EDIT: Oh and are you also a fan of ROD one of the best manga/anime ever created or was the screenshot just a happy coincidence?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I pick what I like at the time and don`t stress it. In Final Fantasy my characters all had the same skills. I liked not having to rely on one person for healing, or debuff spells for instance. I never used the gambit system. I don`t see the point in it.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimbo

I don't worry about stats too much, but I like to see where I'm heading when levelling up.  I usually have a rough idea of my character before I start, and then my decisions are based off of that (character considerations trumping equipment stats etc).  I rarely do the 'What Would I Do?' thing in RPGs anymore, because the scenarios are usually so bone obvious right vs. wrong that it's just more interesting to place a character in those situations.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fenixrevolution

In an RPG where you level something similar to FF X or FF XII, by progressing across some type of skill board or tree, I'm fine. But, if I play a game like Dragon Age, where I have to distribute attribute points and pick a skill each level, or every other level, I become a complete mess, because I'm always second guessing myself and thinking that I'm ruining my character, therefore ruining my game. Interestingly enough, I have finished FF X, made it fairly far into FF XII before losing interest and made it a few hours into Dragon Age before quitting.  

I think I just need a guide to hold my hand on character builds, yet when I played Diablo 2, distributing points wasn't even a sweat, mainly due to the cookie cutter builds.

jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jamesisaacs

If i can't make my character look like me i choose the Dark Elf.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Jaktajj

I never really see RPGs as competitive so I don't have a problem with cheating a little bit to at least 'know' how the mechanics work on a numerical level so I can craft a character that's fun to play with. What I mean by the cheating aspect - say you cheat in an online FPS or RPG? I find that completely fucking pointless, because the game revolves around everyone's skill levels so everything needs to stay at an even playing field. When it comes to cheating a little bit in single player RPGs, it's just me and myself playing, so the only thing I want is to be comfortable enough to enjoy the game and not be worrying about number crunching.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By penguindust

Thank you for all of your responses so far.  It's provided some good insight into the gaming habits of others relative to my own.  I, too can spend three hours in just designing the look of a character for a game.  I don't know how many times, I've then fretted over each assigned skill point at the start of the game!  I create with a template in mind because I've found that the jack-of-all-trades is rarely as good as a character who specializes in one or two tasks; such as main focus, healer and minor focus, dps.  In games where you're solo for the most or all of the time, I concentrate on survival skills first then killing.  I tend to dabble in "charm", too because it often allows me to avoid some fights.  However, in RPGs where I have a party, I usually spec each with a main focus and a secondary support role.  I'm 30+ hours into Final Fantasy XII now and that's actually paid off.  If you're curious... 

@ImmortalSaiyan: I've been using the gambit system a lot especially for healing.  Recently, I've started using it for stealing, too.  I can get off a swipe or two with Balthier before I need him to help take down the mob.  Dragon Age Origins combat tactics were something I struggled with though an often used very rudimentary plans when not directly micro-managing the party myself.

@StarvingGamer:  Yes, I am (number 23 on this unsorted list).  I just wish more RPGs had a "Paper Witch" class.  
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#31  Edited By dudacles

I just go with the flow.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As long as my character(s) work and there isn't anything super flawed about them, I'm not one to get especially anal about min-maxing perfect build kind of stuff. However, in older games or games where character building options are less transparent, I tend to at least glance at a guide so I don't build my characters into a corner and thus screw myself over in the endgame.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By tourgen

Can I put max ranks in shotguns?  What, no shotgun skill?  GTFO of my Xbox. *tosses disk across room*

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was always super picky about where I put my skill points and such in games, but it wasn't until Oblivion that I started worrying about breaking the game for myself and/or looking at a guide online. I had a pretty good Sneaky Archer build capable of taking folks down in one or two stealthy shots, picking any lock, and getting through conversations how I wanted, but thanks to the broken world-leveling system I eventually crossed a threshold where I was being one-shotted by cougars in the wild without any warning. Since Oblivion didn't offer a "respec," I had to start over, and I was a good 20 hours in at that point. I could have reloaded a way earlier save, but the major / minor skills you pick played a big role in how broken or not-broken the game would be. It was an online guide that told me just how wrong I was in picking the skills I did. After looking at the guide, I just made a really good character with that info in the back of my mind. I did eventually try the "perfect" build with the guide at the ready while I was playing, but that was well after I beat the game.

Especially if the game doesn't offer a way to respec, I would encourage people to look at a guide and at least get some basic tips and pointers in. If you're going to be playing a game for 40, 60, or 100 hours, and forced into decisions you make when shaping your character, why not make sure you're going in the direction you want to go? It's up to game developers to make sure you can't break the game by making what seem to be intelligent decisions, but they don't always make it clear how you should be progressing. Oblivion is the only game I know of where you can utterly break it just by trying to make a Mage or Archer class.