Achievement unlocked. Nothing else. Nothing else?!

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Strongschwartz

Is it just me or has the introduction of achievements caused a lack of unlockables? In GTA 3 you collected 100 packages and unlocked a huge arsenal of weapons. In GTA 4 you find 200(!) of these nasty pidgeons and what do you get? The famous 1 sec message "Achievement unlocked" and a chopper that can  far easier be stolen in the next police station. Different game same story: Assassin's Creed. Hundreds of flags to collect. Your reward: Nothing, nada, rien, nichts. Call of duty 4: The developers even added these Intels just for the achievements. As far as I know they don't even exist in the other versions. (You're free to correct me, if I'm wrong). I mean achievements are surely a fun invention but where's the reward  for me as a gamer? Where are the alternative costumes, the unlockable cheats and special weapons that prolong my gaming experience? I really hope that Unlockables will have their coming back.
Next time I tell you why Bill O'Reilly will never cut my mic, why car washes are absolutely useless in a sandbox action game and why Christian Bale and I are done professionally. See you soon.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Strongschwartz

Is it just me or has the introduction of achievements caused a lack of unlockables? In GTA 3 you collected 100 packages and unlocked a huge arsenal of weapons. In GTA 4 you find 200(!) of these nasty pidgeons and what do you get? The famous 1 sec message "Achievement unlocked" and a chopper that can  far easier be stolen in the next police station. Different game same story: Assassin's Creed. Hundreds of flags to collect. Your reward: Nothing, nada, rien, nichts. Call of duty 4: The developers even added these Intels just for the achievements. As far as I know they don't even exist in the other versions. (You're free to correct me, if I'm wrong). I mean achievements are surely a fun invention but where's the reward  for me as a gamer? Where are the alternative costumes, the unlockable cheats and special weapons that prolong my gaming experience? I really hope that Unlockables will have their coming back.
Next time I tell you why Bill O'Reilly will never cut my mic, why car washes are absolutely useless in a sandbox action game and why Christian Bale and I are done professionally. See you soon.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

Intels are in PC version of COD4 without achievements and they unlock cheats to use ingame.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By fillmoejoe

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that collecting intel in COD4 unlocks cheats for use in campaign mode.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, it totally sucks. We don't really get real rewards anymore for putting in that kind of effort. Instead we get achievements. Yippee...

MForce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MForce83

Blame Legend of Zelda, Orcarina of time for this, The gold Skulltulas set the stage for packages in every other game

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

But seeing Achievement Unlocked pop up on the screen is so damn satisfying.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss
MForce83 said:
Blame Legend of Zelda, Orcarina of time for this, The gold Skulltulas set the stage for packages in every other ... [more]
Yeah, but that game was freakin' sweet.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper
Voxel said:
But seeing Achievement Unlocked pop up on the screen is so damn satisfying.
"Addachievement 1" "Addachievement 2" "Addachievement 3" "Addachievement 4" "Addachievement 5" "Addachievement 6" "Addachievement 7" "Addachievement 8" "Addachievement 9" "Addachievement 10" "Addachievement 11" "Addachievement 12" "Addachievement 13" "Addachievement 14" "Addachievement 15" "Addachievement 16" "Addachievement 17" "Addachievement 18"

..........aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

For something on that large of a scale, you're right - an achievement isn't worth it alone.  Achievements and unlockables are the best when they go hand in hand and when one is worth the other.  In Grand Theft Auto 4's case, something unique at the very least would have gone a long way towards this.

Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fei
Strongschwartz said:
Is it just me or has the introduction of achievements caused a lack of unlockables? In GTA 3 you collected ... [more]

You have fun doing it. If you dont then dont do it.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

Personally, I fiend to hear that little blip of a sound that the "Achievement Unlocked" sound makes.  I actually hate when friends come online, because I feel like I got duped.  =  /

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero
jakob187 said:
Personally, I fiend to hear that little blip of a sound that the "Achievement Unlocked" sound makes. I actually hate ... [more]
Hahaha, me too, man. I'm like "OMG! AN ACHIEVEMENT? AWWW! Just a stupid friend. :( "
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alexander

I think the DLC is what causes the lack of unlockables these days as opposed to achievements. Items you unlocked before are now sold for a premium and silly people buy them. (See Horse Armour)

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By flaminghobo

I think that more games should incorporate a system in which, if you get a certain amount or certain achievement you will unlock certain items in game.

I think it would make the experience just that little more rewarding than a few points, even though I'm almost approaching 30k G and a bit of an achievement whore.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Wolverine
@Strongschwartz:  Yeah, achievements are kind of pointless. The pun was uninitiated. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince
Strongschwartz said:
Is it just me or has the introduction of achievements caused a lack of unlockables? In GTA 3 you collected ... [more]
Answer? Metal Gear Solid 4. Tons of unlockables.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

jakob187 said:
Personally, I fiend to hear that little blip of a sound that the "Achievement Unlocked" sound makes. I actually hate ... [more]

Story of my life man....Story of my life.

As far as the unlockable issue goes, may I direct you to RE5? Most unlockables I've seen in a game since......well, RE4.
LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By LocoRocker
LiquidPrince said:
Strongschwartz said: Is it just me or has the introduction of achievements caused a lack of unlockables? In GTA 3 ... [more]
or
uncharted (also on the ps3)
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_A_Drain

Less and less unlockables is a trend that started before achievements, we've been seeing it for a while now, just look at the last couple years worth of PS2/Xbox games, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Ninja Gaiden ... ok, so im drawing a blank only those three are coming to mind right now, but theres tons more im sure of it. We saw a drastic decline in unlockables/hidden package type things just before/as achievements were becoming popular, so i'd say you should probably thank achievements for being there otherwise you wouldn't even have that.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By toowalrus

You totally got that Rubber Band Ball in Bully for getting all of the rubber bands, along side achievements. Hidden things aren't so hidden anymore, now that we have this internet thing, anyway.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Strongschwartz
@Scooper: Thanks for the info.
Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Strongschwartz
@The_A_Drain: I'm surprised you named Shadow of the Colossus (awesome masterpiece by the way). I remember plenty of unlockable costumes and weapons in that game.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Strongschwartz:

If by plenty you mean like, 10 things then ok.

I honestly think we're starting to see a rise of collectable items again rather than a reduction when compared to the last few years, especially as games like inFamous rise inpopularity. Although they are strictly that, collectables. Unlockables on the other hand seem to be migrating over to paid DLC mostly.
Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Strongschwartz
@The_A_Drain: Compared to other games I would say it has plenty. That just shows how desperate I am ;)
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I, too, miss unlockables and secrets and such but I still love achievements. Look at some of the harder ones to get like seriously 2.0 in GoW. It's extremely satisfying to just reach that milestone and hear the blip. Things like "opened the first door" 20G or "completed tutorial" 50G are stupid and need to be removed though.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Strongschwartz
@Fei: Shure that's a possibility but that would make the play time even shorter. Then I would have to look at a black screen and black TV screens make me sad. All black and no play makes Jack a dull boy. ;)
macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By macandcheese

I think that games should follow Mass Effect's lead for achievements, have an achievements that also gives you an in game reward like more damage.