• 56 results
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By adam_grif

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/64725/Spies-will-tap-into-all-emails-and-calls
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4882600.ece
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/3140207/Government-spies-could-scan-every-call-text-and-email.html
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/UK_government_to_spy_on_phone,_email,_browsing,_of_entire_population

The government of the United Kingdom leaked its plans yesterday to launch a program which will monitor every British citizen's emails, internet browsing records, and telephone conversations. While a specific plan has not been reached, UK ministers agreed on spending up to £12 billion (USD$21.2 billion) on the new spying system. More than £1 billion (USD$1.76 billion) has already been spent.

They believe the program, which will create a massive database for storing the information and installs thousands of probes, is necessary to fight threats to national security. One of the reasons cited for creating the database is to keep links between terrorists intact before they are wiped from systems, which often hold any needed information only temporarily.

Under the UK's current law a warrant is required to intercept communications, but that will change with the implementation of the new database.

Critics like Michael Parker, an anti-ID card activist, have called the proposal 'sinister', and accused the UK government of 'stalking' British citizens. "If an individual carried out this sort of snooping," Parker said, "it would be a crime".

But other critics like Dominic Grieve, Shadow Home Secretary, have a different concern. The government has a record of leaking sensitive information, making such a database insecure—which could be dangerous in the wrong hands. "Seeing how significant an increase in power this would be, we need to have a national debate and the Government would have to justify its need," he finished.

A public debate is being considered after the request of the UK's Information Commissioner, who has warned that the program would be unacceptable to most of the UK's citizens.

Details will be given in the Queen's speech next month.

Enjoy your big-brother state guys.

Seriously. This shit needs to stop.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

So, let's find a way to vicariously link this to America,
No but seriously, kinda shitty. Margaret Thatcher isn't in charge anymore but apparently her legacy lives on.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rowr

shit sux.

Hopefully it doesnt spread to Aus.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coakroach

That would require a 1:1 ratio of 'spies' to normal people
I call BS

Edit: Or even if it did get implemented it would be weak as hell

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By adam_grif
coakroach said:
"That would require a 1:1 ratio of 'spies' to normal people
I call BS

Edit: Or even if it did get implemented it would be weak as hell"
They aren't sitting there spying on every human in Britain, they are intercepting and keeping record of every e-mail, and keeping semi-permenant ISP records for every single internet user on a massive database.

Read the article.

Most of the work is going to be done with keyphrase searching and website blacklists. The problem is that this stuff used to require a warrant, and under the proposed scheme, it would not, and every individual is subject to it 24/7.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Gunner
Levio91 said:
"I hope this doesnt happen in america."
Already happened in America.. The Patriot act ring any bells?
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Omega

The number of cameras you are captured on just by going on your daily business is staggering.

That and the spy ware that plagues all our computers. To be honest the only difference between now and when this gets implemented is this:

Now - every business with a product that suits your demographic knows everything about you as well as what your doing right now.

Future - every business with a product that suits your demographic and the government knows everything about you as well as what your doing right now.

Its best not to think about it. Either way the government is gonna invade your privacy. Whether their upfront about it, like communist dictatorships. Or they hide the fact from the populist, like democratic governments.

...That or you can rebel against the government. Problem is the western world has had it too good for too long. They're too soft and weak to pull anything. What with the obese, lazy, reality tv watching, videogame playing, stupid culture we have carved for ourselves. I dont see anyone wanting to get up early on a saturday, let alone take down an oppressive government.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gunner
Omega said:
"
The number of cameras you are captured on just by going on your daily business is staggering.

That and the spy ware that plagues all our computers. To be honest the only difference between now and when this gets implemented is this:

Now - every business with a product that suits your demographic knows everything about you as well as what your doing right now.

Future - every business with a product that suits your demographic and the government knows everything about you as well as what your doing right now.

Its best not to think about it. Either way the government is gonna invade your privacy. Whether their upfront about it, like communist dictatorships. Or they hide the fact from the populist, like democratic governments.

...That or you can rebel against the government. Problem is the western world has had it too good for too long. They're too soft and weak to pull anything. What with the obese, lazy, reality tv watching, videogame playing, stupid culture we have carved for ourselves. I dont see anyone wanting to get up early on a saturday, let alone take down an oppressive government.

"
Very well said.

Make your population happy with food, entertainment and anti-depressants and you wont have to worry about those troublesome revolutions and uprisings.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rowr
Omega said:
"

"

Also, if you disagree you're a Terrorist.

ryanwho said:
"So, let's find a way to vicariously link this to America,
No but seriously, kinda shitty. Margaret Thatcher isn't in charge anymore but apparently her legacy lives on."
I found a fun link. Terrorist paranoia.

It's the new Communist paranoia!

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By adam_grif

Violent revolution!

Row row, fight the powa.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gunner
adam_grif said:
"Violent revolution!"
JFK once said
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable"
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rowr
Gunner said:
"adam_grif said:
"Violent revolution!"
JFK once said
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable""
And then someone revolted and shot him.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gunner
Rowr said:
"Gunner said:
"adam_grif said:
"Violent revolution!"
JFK once said
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable""
And then someone revolted and shot him."
Ironic isnt it?
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Omega
Gunner said:
"Rowr said:
"Gunner said:
"adam_grif said:
"Violent revolution!"
JFK once said
And then someone revolted and shot him."
Ironic isnt it?"
Ever notice how every person who said we should be peaceful and love one another has gotten assassinated?

JFK
MLK
John Lennon

"What?! They want us to be peaceful? Kill the motherfucker!!"
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gunner
Levio91 said:
"Gunner said:
"Levio91 said:
Already happened in America.. The Patriot act ring any bells?"
thats diferent it doesnt monitor emails only the phone. they also only do it to certain people not everyone."
And before you know it we will all be giving our email addresses and bank account numbers to the government to ensure there is no one making suspicious activities to "stop the terrorists". Its all baby steps. Scare your population and you can make them do anything.
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Omega
Gunner said:
"Levio91 said:
"Gunner said:
"Levio91 said:
thats diferent it doesnt monitor emails only the phone. they also only do it to certain people not everyone."
And before you know it we will all be giving our email addresses and bank account numbers to the government to ensure there is no one making suspicious activities to "stop the terrorists". Its all baby steps. Scare your population and you can make them do anything."
America started a war based on the fear generated by 9/11. I swear they could have convinced the American people that invading Canada was a good idea after how scared shitless the people were after that.

Fear is a very important element to keeping society in check. Think about it. When you were a kid your mom tells you not to cross the road or you'll be hit by a car and killed. So you think ok I dont wanna die, I'm not gonna cross the street. Its the fear, however improbable, of getting hit by a car that makes a child not wanna cross the street. It isn't until we start questioning authority that we decide to cross the street because we use critical thinking and decide its ok to cross because there aren't any cars coming therefore  I can't possibly be killed.

Its the exact same concept. You can think of humanity as having the collective intellegence of a 6 year old. Because most of us take what our government, church, peers say without question. Infact we are worse because we attack those of us who are unwilling to conform and shame them into going along with the herd.

Be more cynical. Its the best way I can think of to better society. In that respect most of the internet community is ahead of the curve.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I think it's a good thing. I don't do anything illegal, so they can look at my internet usage and everything all they want. If it's going to make the streets safer and help stop terrorists it can only be a good thing.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By get2sammyb
Omega said:
"

"
I love you.  
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hair001

Ugh this is sick! They have no right to do this (hasn't ever stopped governments before though). Come on, I hope there is some sane way (not with a bunch of anarchists) of showing the government is WAY out of line here

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Giantkitty
Gunner said:
"Levio91 said:
Tell the British to give the awful law a nice sounding name : see also "No Child left Behind" It's like the novel 1984, add 24 hour surveillance, and you get 2008...
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rowr
MattyFTM said:
"I think it's a good thing. I don't do anything illegal, so they can look at my internet usage and everything all they want. If it's going to make the streets safer and help stop terrorists it can only be a good thing."
where does it stop?

what happens when the system is corrupted? (as it will no doubt be)

HOW MANY INNOCENT PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE MATTY, HOW MANY?
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crunchUK

that doesn't sound good. i blame hitler, bin laden and the chavs

Three60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Three60

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Ben Franklin

That's where I stand on this.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Don't worry, when I take over the world, I'll rule with satellite power, and giant shields. Nobody will stand against me or have a chance to take me down, and in turn, people will live nice, healthy lives. And when the aliens come, I'll protect us.

But first, some will have to die....

Sort of Penguins I'll use to take over to world.
Sort of Penguins I'll use to take over to world.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gunner
Omega said:
"Gunner said:
"Levio91 said:
"Gunner said:
"Levio91 said:
And before you know it we will all be giving our email addresses and bank account numbers to the government to ensure there is no one making suspicious activities to "stop the terrorists". Its all baby steps. Scare your population and you can make them do anything."
America started a war based on the fear generated by 9/11. I swear they could have convinced the American people that invading Canada was a good idea after how scared shitless the people were after that.

Fear is a very important element to keeping society in check. Think about it. When you were a kid your mom tells you not to cross the road or you'll be hit by a car and killed. So you think ok I dont wanna die, I'm not gonna cross the street. Its the fear, however improbable, of getting hit by a car that makes a child not wanna cross the street. It isn't until we start questioning authority that we decide to cross the street because we use critical thinking and decide its ok to cross because there aren't any cars coming therefore  I can't possibly be killed.

Its the exact same concept. You can think of humanity as having the collective intellegence of a 6 year old. Because most of us take what our government, church, peers say without question. Infact we are worse because we attack those of us who are unwilling to conform and shame them into going along with the herd.

Be more cynical. Its the best way I can think of to better society. In that respect most of the internet community is ahead of the curve."
Ill quote the movie V for Vendetta here "People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of the people"
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rowr
Three60 said:
""Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Ben Franklin

That's where I stand on this."
nice one.
Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Riddler
Gunner said:
"Levio91 said:
The land of the Freeee and the home of.............oh wait
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By serbsta

Theyev even got new tanks being deployed over there for "civilian-service", i also read that many British politicians are buying out land in Ecuador and Bolivia and moving there for the coming months... i wonder why, freaky, no?

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thanatos990

USA!!USA!! USA!! ohh wait..........Patroit Act

American and European Governments=Fail

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thanatos990
crunchUK said:
"that doesn't sound good. i blame hitler, bin laden and the chavs"
lol Hitler was smart, Bin Laden is not, Hilter fought on a battlefield, Laden didnt

Hilter= Minor Fail
Laden= EPIC FAILURE
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
Rowr said:
"Three60 said:
""Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Ben Franklin

That's where I stand on this."
nice one."
Very nice Indeed
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gunner
serbsta said:
"Theyev even got new tanks being deployed over there for "civilian-service", i also read that many British politicians are buying out land in Ecuador and Bolivia and moving there for the coming months... i wonder why, freaky, no?"
This is a sign.. Go create one of your conspiracy theory threads!
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By serbsta
Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Theyev even got new tanks being deployed over there for "civilian-service", i also read that many British politicians are buying out land in Ecuador and Bolivia and moving there for the coming months... i wonder why, freaky, no?"
This is a sign.. Go create one of your conspiracy theory threads!"
Lol, why, this isnt a conspiracy, im not implying anything by that either, im just stating it.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By DualReaver

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gunner
serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
Lol, why, this isnt a conspiracy, im not implying anything by that either, im just stating it."
So.. does this mean your not gunna create a thread?
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By serbsta
Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
Lol, why, this isnt a conspiracy, im not implying anything by that either, im just stating it."
So.. does this mean your not gunna create a thread?"
No, there's no need, i just threw in a useless fact into this thread... shouldn't really call it useless though.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gunner
serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
No, there's no need, i just threw in a useless fact into this thread... shouldn't really call it useless though."
Awww.. was kinda looking forward to it :[
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By serbsta
Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
No, there's no need, i just threw in a useless fact into this thread... shouldn't really call it useless though."
Awww.. was kinda looking forward to it :["
Why dont you go make it? lol
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gunner
serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
Why dont you go make it? lol"
I dont have the correct amount of info, and your way better at it than me.
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By serbsta
Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
"Gunner said:
"serbsta said:
Why dont you go make it? lol"
I dont have the correct amount of info, and your way better at it than me."
I have no more info than you have. Lol, im better than you at what? Posting conspiracy messages, doubt it.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Dalai
coakroach said:
I call BS

That's where the Russians and Chinese come in.  There are lots of spare Chinese people and the Russians can train them.
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By serbsta
Dalai said:
"coakroach said:
I call BS

That's where the Russians and Chinese come in.  There are lots of spare Chinese people and the Russians can train them."
Interesting theory.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By adam_grif

Please don't use the word "theory", because every time you call wild mass guessing a theory you further dilute the correct usage of the term.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By serbsta
adam_grif said:
"Please don't use the word "theory", because every time you call wild mass guessing a theory you further dilute the correct usage of the term."
And i suppose me saying it once is the main cause of the problem, whatever dude, be quiet, please.
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49  Edited By OGCartman
About the ben franklin quote, i disagree strongly.

But i agree that the UK thing is pretty messed up =S

AHHH THEIR LISTENING TO MY REVIEW OF WHAT TV SHOW I WATCHED YESTERDAY! - Those Basterds!
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gunner
Cartman said:
"About the ben franklin quote, i disagree strongly.

But i agree that the UK thing is pretty messed up =S

AHHH THEIR LISTENING TO MY REVIEW OF WHAT TV SHOW I WATCHED YESTERDAY! - Those Basterds!
"
Lay off the mindless wrestling and pot smoking. None of what you just typed makes sense except for the first sentence.