• 53 results
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ineedaname

Any Americans actually care for this? I'm just wondering as you're 2-0 up against Brazil, will this make front or back pages in America if they do actually win?

It's just gone half time and USA are as stated 2-0.

For those who get no fututher than this comment Brazil won 3-2 coming back from 0-2 down.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By gingertastic_10

I'm American and like soccer. I'm watching it now. I don't know. It will probably not make front pages. Which I don't understand why.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By C2C

I care. Ihave been watching the game

Mainstream America? nope.  Won't make the paper I'm willing to bet.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ineedaname
@C2C: It's a decent game and now 2-1
That last goal was awesome.

@gingertastic_10: It's sad really you have a decent team aswell. Should be honoured a little better.

Should be 2-2 the ball crossed the line and it never got given =D
And now it is 2-2.
Bah 3-2 to brazil.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

They lost 3-2 =(

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Unlucky USA, gg.

Beating Spain and going 2-0 up against Brazil is no mean feat.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ineedaname

They never just went up against Brazil, 2-0 is awesome, although they did fall hard, it's shame.

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gingertastic_10
@Ineedaname said:
"They lost 3-2 =("
I'm hurt lol. No, i'm proud of them. They were 0-2 at one point. Yet still made the finals. Hats off to Brazil.

euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By euge

Commiserations, USA deserved a penalty in the last 10 minutes. Incidentally the only part I watched because top gear was on :/
Well you had a good tournament regardless and I look forward to it becoming a more popular sport in America in the future. More competition in the world of football would be great.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

I think soccer is one of the worst sports ever, so I don't really care for this cup thing

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ineedaname
@gingertastic_10: It's still a great attempt, I just wish it was credited more in the USA, I'm not American but still.

@Euge: In all fairness that goal that wasn't given could have made it 4-2

@natetodamax: Even if you don't like it, you could still support your country in their achievement, they beat Spain and put up a fight against Brazil alot of teams can't do that.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By C2C

The US still did great all things considered.  Again its Brazil so the sting from loss isn't too bad :)

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Illmatic

Really disappointing ending to a rather exciting game and in terms of lack of mainstream coverage, I think it's the fact that many plays that are seen as awesome and entertaining to soccer fans don't seem like much to the casual viewer. Alot of the fancy footwork isn't really viewable from such a distant and awkward angle. If you take the time to understand what's going on on the field though, it can lend to be a very exciting game to watch.

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gingertastic_10
@Ineedaname: I agree. I think it's the toughest sport to play. You have to be in great shape and have great skill. I have a huge amount of respect for them. I think it was in the 70s it was huge in the United States when we had Pele and Beckenbauer playing over here. But that was 30 years ago.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By dethfish

Damn it, I was gonna watch that game but I forgot. I watched the game against Spain, I think that's who it was.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeadMan

So disappointing, they were up 2-0, and they lost 2-3.....

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ineedaname
@gingertastic_10: I think there's tougher more physical sports but in terms of skill and ability it's probably one of the toughest.

@Dethfish77: Haha Spain it was indeed, they were playing South Africa for 3rd place.

euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By euge

I'd be surprised if USA hadn't managed to put up a fight against Brazil because there is a lot of talent going forward in the team. Clint Dempsey is one of my favourite players in the Premiership (Usually does well in the fantasy football). Added to that, the fact that Brazil can't / don't defend, there will always be chances to score past them.

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gingertastic_10
@Dethfish77: It's going to be on ESPN 2 at midnight tonight. If you wanna watch it then.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By gearhead

US did fucking fantastic in the first half, amazing team. They lost steam in the second, which they could not do with the best team in the world Brazil.
Good indication at least that the US will do very well in the World Cup, and we are a force to be reckoned with.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By dethfish
@gingertastic_10 said:
"@Dethfish77: It's going to be on ESPN 2 at midnight tonight. If you wanna watch it then."

Cool, I might watch it then, but maybe I won't since I already know what the score was.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ineedaname
@Euge: Part of the fact he's good is because he's cheap. In terms of their defence, Brazil are strong, I think they're just not so good at holding places because they all seem to want to go forward and show what they can do, if someone can get some discipline I think they'd be alright.
skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By skidd

Disappointing result...USA did so well, especially the Spain match. I still dont think you can consider them to be real contenders for the World Cup, but at least they've shown that they can cause teams serious problems with their great work-ethic

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hairydutchman

Brasil is so overrated. Too bad USA couldn't keep their lead.

euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By euge

@Ineedaname said:

"@Euge: Part of the fact he's good is because he's cheap. In terms of their defence, Brazil are strong, I think they're just not so good at holding places because they all seem to want to go forward and show what they can do, if someone can get some discipline I think they'd be alright."

Without realising it you're agreeing with what I said. The Brazillians don't defend and that is why they can't defend. Everyone knows there mentality is to score goals no matter what. In comparison to the Italians and sometimes England, after a goal is scored they go on the defense. They would need a player that wasn't Brazillian in order to get discipline in their defense because, as you say, they all want to go forward.

I've also stated that I like underdogs in a previous thread and thats what Clint offers as a player. Plus fantasy leagues put him in midfield when he quite often plays up front for Fulham so he gets more points per goal.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ineedaname
@Euge: Oh I was never arguing against you, I just giving you my opinion, I could have worded it better, I only really played the telegraph's fantasy football, and I'm pretty sure every goal is worth the same.
euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By euge
@Ineedaname:
http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Try this one next season, it's free and it's the best fantasy football league I've played. Get your mates involved and you can decide how much cash is at stake. Better yet we could start a giant bomb fantasy league on there.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ineedaname
@Euge: That's the one I used at school, I never followed my team though, I'm pretty sure that was the one done on another forum I used I never entered it though, I only used the telegraph because that's what most of my friends were using.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I watched it in the pub. It was an entertaining game. I wanted the underdog, the USA to win. We cheered when they scored, but it wasn't to be. USA should have attacked more in the second half. There was no way they were going to stop Brazil from scoring 2 or 3 goals, but Brazil's defence was terrible, they should have kept pushing. Ah well.

I also watched most of the 3rd place playoff earlier between Spain and South Africa. It was an incredibly boring 0-0 game for the first 60-70 mins, and then someone in the pub changed the bloody channel over to watch the horse racing. And pretty much as soon as he changed the channel it got exciting and it finished 2-3. I wasn't happy.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By clubsandwich

football won today, I'm really happy. :D

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoOneFive

i guess all you american hatin pricks can finally stop hatin on the state of futbol in the US. 

anyways, i can't wait until MLS season starts- Philadelphia Union baby!!!!
sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sfighter21

Ah, well they put up a decent fight...

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tmontana1004
@Ineedaname: I'm American - big soccer fan. Disappointing game, but that's the US Soccer Teams for ya - disappointing. I'm excited for World Cup though - seems like we may have a chance. BTW, I don't understand the hate for soccer in America. I'm a big guy and play soccer myself, and people like to comment to me how I'm a "foot fairy". How is soccer (the most popular sport in the world might I add) hated so much by most Americans?
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zitosilva

Well, as a brazilian I can't stop being relieved that we won.

Still, USA played very well, much better than Brazil did, specially on the firts half.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ineedaname
@tmontana1004: I've always been curios myself especially when you have a really good team, I doubt you'll win the world cup there are too many strong teams, I don't think England will get anywhere, but then again in world cups I back Portugal for some unknown reason I love watching then I have no affiliation with them though, however, you did well tonight, I just think it's sad that in the American media this will only get a small article on some random page. And if people call you a "foot fairy" take it as a compliment it shows you have some skill with a ball ask them to do the same they probably can't.
tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tmontana1004
@zitosilva said:
" Well, as a brazilian I can't stop being relieved that we won.Still, USA played very well, much better than Brazil did, specially on the firts half. "
I agree, but USA just didn't have the momentum in the last half to keep it up. Brazil had more heart and that's why they won.
ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZeroCast
@tmontana1004: Because for some reason, Americans like American Football not real Football.
Nat3TheGreat13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Nat3TheGreat13

So disappointing.

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tmontana1004
@ZeroCast said:
" @tmontana1004: Because for some reason, Americans like American Football not real Football. "
I've got no problem with American Football though - I can enjoy both. It's mainly the hardcore American Football/Baseball/Basketball fans that have a problem with soccer I guess. Whatever, I don't care, hardcore American football fans can call me a foot fairy all they want while they slap each others' asses and jump on top of each other.
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Verdugo

It was an entertaining game, U.S.A leading Brazil 2-0 in the 1st half was a shocker. But you can expect Brazil to pull off a 3 goal comeback like that.

Both teams played well, U.S.A just could not keep their momentum, and Brazil plowed through.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ZeroCast

Although i didn't watching the game, i had some speculation that it wouldn't be as easy as the 3-0, the USA team did put up a great fight since that miraculous 3-0 win against Egypt and they kept fighting and fighting until the end, never expected that to happen but it looks like we have a tough contender for the 2010 World Cup.

Murphy_Muldoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Murphy_Muldoon

I'm sickened for the USA. Such an unexpected result against Spain, then to go 2-0 up, I was really rooting for them. Shame that in the end they couldn't hold on to win it. Great match in any case.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think it's a statement on the caring for soccer here in the United States that I had no idea this was even going on. With the media circus surrounding Michael Jackson's death I'm amazed anything else gets reported on.

I personally have nothing against soccer as a sport. It just kind of puzzles me that the entire world is in love with a game that is incredibly boring for me personally. I've gone on three extended trips to Europe during which I watched quite a bit of soccer. I still don't get the appeal. Glad the US team did well though. I'll try and pay attention during the World Cup.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Player1

I'm not the biggest soccer fan, but I know for sure we care about it. I was texting friends back and forth all pumped about the game. 

As if it would be front page material...I'm not sure. Maybe a small box on the front page, and a big featured article on the front of the sports section. 
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gingertastic_10
@CenturionCajun: I could be wrong when I say this, but I feel that it's not as popular in the States because it's not thought of as an "American Sport". Look at baseball, football, basketball. They may not have been invented in America, but they all had a start here. But when soccer (or football) came over here it was already well established else where. So we don't consider it a "National Past Time" like we do with baseball and football. Plus most Americans like big things. And soccer doesn't really deliver on the high scoring last second thrill that most Americans love.
NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NoXious

Being a European - I had hoped USA would've won so football (soccer for most reading this I assume) would gain some more popularity. USA making it to the finals was unexpected, but I actually enjoyed watching them get there too! It wasn't a "luck" factor where they only were offensive once and managed to score that one time - it was attractive play all together.

The leagues need to start soon. :( I got the football munchies, and I can't wait to see what next year's World Cup is going to bring :)

A question for the American readers of this forum however - how is/are the American soccer leagues over there? Per state? Or one big league of x amount of clubs for the entire country? And are the stadiums any good? I'd love to hear more about how soccer is over there, because I unfortunately only get american football through my satellite TV and not american soccer.

gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gingertastic_10
@NoXious: We have the MLS (Major League Soccer). It's expanding though. Not every state has one. Most of the stadiums they play is are used for other sports. So they are rather decent.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RsistncE
@Euge: Yeah but by all accounts Brazil should also have had another goal on the clock considering that one header went in but FIFA usually refuses to go to camera so they didn't review it. Oh well, Brazil wins....WHOOP WHOOP

The only reason the US even got those 2 goals was because they capitalized on two major Brazilian mistakes. Possession was almost 60-40 and shots were 10-4 all in favour of Brazil. I commend the US for taking advantage of those mistakes but in all honesty they were far outclasses by Brazil, particularily in the 2nd half...they were getting blitzed left right and centre.
YoConraaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By YoConraaa

Actually, as a Brazilian, i think that the team just wasn't that into winning. They entered feeling very superior, got 2 goals to remind that you have to play defensively (it's very hard to find good defensive players in Brazil - kids always want to be the goalkeeper or the top striker, nothing else) but that's it. Brazil just did it's job. I actually wanted Brazil to lose, I hate Dunga, the (actual brazilian coach) 'cause he didn't call neither Ronaldo (the old one) nor Chicão, very good brazilian players that are really able to go to the National Team. If there was a penalty dispute, and USA won, I would be LMAOing 'til now. Meh, maybe Dunga calls these two players for the REAL COMPETITION. HELL YEAH!

Cheers! Abraço!
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wolverine
@MattyFTM: Well thanks for rooting for us. I'm pretty disappointed we lost. I'm pretty excited for the World Cup now though because the world might take our team seriously for a change.