Gamer Personality Types

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Hey Giantbomb, you can help me graduate!
Alright so I got assigned this "Passion Project" to finish off my senior year of high school. It's basically this eight part assignment surrounding something we are "passionate" about. Of course I lean towards video games, it being my biggest, "passion." I finally came up with a good aspect of video games that I wanted to address, and that's where you all come in. I'm going to explain my project a bit and then ask for you all to tell me what you think about it all. Thanks in advance.

Some months back, I was listening to 1UpYours/Listen Up (I think it was still 1UPYours, I think it was around Christmas... I remember lots of people were switching on and off the mics and one guy was getting especially upset over it, and I connect this memory to me playing Castle Crashers and I was getting my butt kicked on the Lava area... Maybe it was GDC....) Anyway, I believe it was Robert Ashley, host of A Life Well Wasted podcast, brought up a man by the name of Chris Bateman. He talked about how Chris had all these personality types o5f "gamers" which related to what type of demographic they would be, what games they might enjoy and so on. I thought it sounded pretty interesting so I decided to do some light research, which I did, and sort of let it slip from my mind. But now I'm here doing this project on those same personality types.

So I'm going to explain the basic types and and it's relation to the Myers-Briggs personality test.

Let's start with the first type, The Conqueror.

The Conqueror (Type 1)

This type is obsessed with the idea of beating a game. They want to make sure the game is, their definition of done, before they put it back on the shelf. They might play and bear multiple games a month, and they don't feel good unless they actually beat the game. They also appreciate challenge, they don't want to play a game where they can essentially blaze through it all effortlessly. They love the idea of knowing the game, every aspect, and by the end, they feel as if they dominated it. If you're obsessed with "1000" pointing games you might be a Conqueror. Type 1 players often feel fiero which basically is the feeling you get when you triumph over something that others thought too hard to accomplish or you were struggling with. Like beating Call of Duty 4's, Mile High Club. Conqueror's are often goal oriented gamers. They want the game to say, "Try and beat this," and for themselves to struggle with it a bit, and finally beat it and the game to say, "Now beat this!"

Hardcore (H1)

Basically, The Conqueror to the max. Often playing JRPG's. This type, the pinnacle of hardcore, are the gamers who find everything in the game. They're the ones you see who found all the alternate outfits and titles in the Tales games. The ones who spent ten hours collecting flags in Assassin's Creed. The dudes who discovered on their own in which order to jump through all those hoops in Halo 3 to find that stupid skull.

Casual (C1)

Casual Conqueror. Often playing multiplayer games with their friends. They want to be the best, like trash talking to who they just beat. Only difference to be distinguished from H1 is that C1 wants more of what is called, "The People Factor" along with the rest of the trimmings.

The Manager (Type 2)

The Manager wants mastery of the game. Unlike The Conqueror, who wants to beat the game, The Manager just wants to become good at it. Once he feels that the game isn't going to change anymore than it already has, and they feel that they have played enough to understand the mechanics, they might feel that they've then beat the game. Like playing a Zelda game, by the end, you're not going to get any new weapons, you're just going to kill Ganon and rescue Zelda, which is only using the things you were taught, but if you were taught them and know them well enough by then, it no longer matters. Then again, they might master the game, and choose to continue through. They might play multiple times, they mastered the game, and so maybe they'll play through again because they now dominate everything. A good environment for a Type 2 is a game that has many different routes. Maybe play through Fallout 3 multiple times, being good one time and bad another. Strategy RPG's are also good. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics where you can play through hundreds of times with hundreds of possibilities is a good thing for The Manager.

Hardcore (H2)

Once again, the hardcore Managers really like their SPRG's. Maybe they'll play through Fire Emblem with as many Paladins as they can get their hands on, and only Paladins. Implementing different tactics than before and beating the game with the skills they've mastered many different ways. Sometimes creating challenges for themselves to see how well they can over come them.

Casual (C2)

Strategy and simulation games are often key here. The C2 is more likely to give up when presented with a particularly hard challenge, and they really like building things. Sim City might be a favorite game.

The Wanderer (Type 3)

"Easy Fun" is the main idea here. The Wanderer wants to always be enjoying the game they're playing, and if they aren't they'll often put it aside right away. They don't want much challenge, but if they come across a story oriented game they want to beat, they're the type to call they're Manager or Conqueror friend and ask for help. They're in it for the experience, not to be challenged.

Hardcore (H3)

They consider themselves hardcore because of the amount of games they play, but generally think games are too hard. They care more about having the game, "done right" rather than having it get done. Story is often important, and if they reach a particularly rough challenge in a game, they might cheat if they can, or find an easy way out of it to progress the narrative.

Casual (C3)

They need games to be really easy, but have similar tastes to the H3's. Don't much challenge, little to none, but they want to feel that they're completing things in the world. They want to be relaxed by games, but still be progressing through everything, and if the progress stops, they stop.

The Participant (Type 4)

The largest group, but we know the least about them. They don't show up often in the online data. They seem to be different from the other types, except they like to be involved in the story, either directly, or by watching someone else play. But, as stated before, not much is known.

Hardcore (H4)

They don't want competition in games, but they do want play through the game. Often they like RPG's.

Casual (C4)

Like gaming in groups. Co-op experiences are great, but also local competitive multiplayer. Might like playing games like, Mario Party, or Wii Sports. "The People Factor" is key again here. As for single player games, The Sims is a good one for them, and the game seems to have succeeded because of this group of gamers. They want either a fun local multiplayer, or a grand world to get lost in.

So that's about it, general information. Tried to keep it brief, yet still informative. Hope you liked it, and will tell me what you think.
Thanks in advance.
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Giantbomb, you can help me graduate!
Alright so I got assigned this "Passion Project" to finish off my senior year of high school. It's basically this eight part assignment surrounding something we are "passionate" about. Of course I lean towards video games, it being my biggest, "passion." I finally came up with a good aspect of video games that I wanted to address, and that's where you all come in. I'm going to explain my project a bit and then ask for you all to tell me what you think about it all. Thanks in advance.

Some months back, I was listening to 1UpYours/Listen Up (I think it was still 1UPYours, I think it was around Christmas... I remember lots of people were switching on and off the mics and one guy was getting especially upset over it, and I connect this memory to me playing Castle Crashers and I was getting my butt kicked on the Lava area... Maybe it was GDC....) Anyway, I believe it was Robert Ashley, host of A Life Well Wasted podcast, brought up a man by the name of Chris Bateman. He talked about how Chris had all these personality types o5f "gamers" which related to what type of demographic they would be, what games they might enjoy and so on. I thought it sounded pretty interesting so I decided to do some light research, which I did, and sort of let it slip from my mind. But now I'm here doing this project on those same personality types.

So I'm going to explain the basic types and and it's relation to the Myers-Briggs personality test.

Let's start with the first type, The Conqueror.

The Conqueror (Type 1)

This type is obsessed with the idea of beating a game. They want to make sure the game is, their definition of done, before they put it back on the shelf. They might play and bear multiple games a month, and they don't feel good unless they actually beat the game. They also appreciate challenge, they don't want to play a game where they can essentially blaze through it all effortlessly. They love the idea of knowing the game, every aspect, and by the end, they feel as if they dominated it. If you're obsessed with "1000" pointing games you might be a Conqueror. Type 1 players often feel fiero which basically is the feeling you get when you triumph over something that others thought too hard to accomplish or you were struggling with. Like beating Call of Duty 4's, Mile High Club. Conqueror's are often goal oriented gamers. They want the game to say, "Try and beat this," and for themselves to struggle with it a bit, and finally beat it and the game to say, "Now beat this!"

Hardcore (H1)

Basically, The Conqueror to the max. Often playing JRPG's. This type, the pinnacle of hardcore, are the gamers who find everything in the game. They're the ones you see who found all the alternate outfits and titles in the Tales games. The ones who spent ten hours collecting flags in Assassin's Creed. The dudes who discovered on their own in which order to jump through all those hoops in Halo 3 to find that stupid skull.

Casual (C1)

Casual Conqueror. Often playing multiplayer games with their friends. They want to be the best, like trash talking to who they just beat. Only difference to be distinguished from H1 is that C1 wants more of what is called, "The People Factor" along with the rest of the trimmings.

The Manager (Type 2)

The Manager wants mastery of the game. Unlike The Conqueror, who wants to beat the game, The Manager just wants to become good at it. Once he feels that the game isn't going to change anymore than it already has, and they feel that they have played enough to understand the mechanics, they might feel that they've then beat the game. Like playing a Zelda game, by the end, you're not going to get any new weapons, you're just going to kill Ganon and rescue Zelda, which is only using the things you were taught, but if you were taught them and know them well enough by then, it no longer matters. Then again, they might master the game, and choose to continue through. They might play multiple times, they mastered the game, and so maybe they'll play through again because they now dominate everything. A good environment for a Type 2 is a game that has many different routes. Maybe play through Fallout 3 multiple times, being good one time and bad another. Strategy RPG's are also good. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics where you can play through hundreds of times with hundreds of possibilities is a good thing for The Manager.

Hardcore (H2)

Once again, the hardcore Managers really like their SPRG's. Maybe they'll play through Fire Emblem with as many Paladins as they can get their hands on, and only Paladins. Implementing different tactics than before and beating the game with the skills they've mastered many different ways. Sometimes creating challenges for themselves to see how well they can over come them.

Casual (C2)

Strategy and simulation games are often key here. The C2 is more likely to give up when presented with a particularly hard challenge, and they really like building things. Sim City might be a favorite game.

The Wanderer (Type 3)

"Easy Fun" is the main idea here. The Wanderer wants to always be enjoying the game they're playing, and if they aren't they'll often put it aside right away. They don't want much challenge, but if they come across a story oriented game they want to beat, they're the type to call they're Manager or Conqueror friend and ask for help. They're in it for the experience, not to be challenged.

Hardcore (H3)

They consider themselves hardcore because of the amount of games they play, but generally think games are too hard. They care more about having the game, "done right" rather than having it get done. Story is often important, and if they reach a particularly rough challenge in a game, they might cheat if they can, or find an easy way out of it to progress the narrative.

Casual (C3)

They need games to be really easy, but have similar tastes to the H3's. Don't much challenge, little to none, but they want to feel that they're completing things in the world. They want to be relaxed by games, but still be progressing through everything, and if the progress stops, they stop.

The Participant (Type 4)

The largest group, but we know the least about them. They don't show up often in the online data. They seem to be different from the other types, except they like to be involved in the story, either directly, or by watching someone else play. But, as stated before, not much is known.

Hardcore (H4)

They don't want competition in games, but they do want play through the game. Often they like RPG's.

Casual (C4)

Like gaming in groups. Co-op experiences are great, but also local competitive multiplayer. Might like playing games like, Mario Party, or Wii Sports. "The People Factor" is key again here. As for single player games, The Sims is a good one for them, and the game seems to have succeeded because of this group of gamers. They want either a fun local multiplayer, or a grand world to get lost in.

So that's about it, general information. Tried to keep it brief, yet still informative. Hope you liked it, and will tell me what you think.
Thanks in advance.
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They aren't my findings, I read most of them in a book and found the information online. There is a lot of emotions beyond what I posted, the book goes pretty in depth, talking about what each type feels when they play games they like, and games they don't. What they feel when challenged and not challenged, and of course Myers-Briggs information that goes really deep talking about how some are more Introverted and some use Thinking based play more than Sensing so on.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

isnt there a test we need to take?

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By mordecaix7
Meltbrain said:
Oh well, the issues I have with it are probably more issues with that Myers-Briggs stuff."
I might have to agree.  The results seem a little too limiting. 
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Snipzor

Well considering I fall into each category in some way or another (Don't we all?), we must make it easier for ourselves by focusing on the games that would make us any of the categories here (Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Fallout, etc). Because I'm a person who had played through Deus Ex over a dozen times in different circumstances, I fall into H2, as I have done a "No Gun" run, a "No Kill" run, "Circumstantial Pacifist" run, and the "Stealth" run (Repeating all of these on Realistic) perfecting the art of playing Deus Ex in many styles.

Define people under specific specifications and this would be an interesting project.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel: No, there isn't a test. I drew most of my conclusions from reading the the text, which goes pretty deep into how the Myers-Briggs dichotomies (Introversion v.s. Extroversion, Sensing v.s. Intuition, Thinking v.s. Feeling and Judging) and how this correlates to their type. But no test.
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for the Myers-Briggs stuff throwing people off, I didn't want to go too in depth on that but the research I read talked a lot about how most hardcore gamers have more a  Thinking bias rather than Feeling and so on. I didn't want to go so in depth in my post as to bore people or have a bunch of posts telling me tl;dr, so I tried to summarize and it might not of got across as well.

And of course you can feel that you belong to multiple archetypes. I feel that I'm mostly Manager but have a bit of other types as well.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By macandcheese

Yeah, Im definitly the conqueror, I also fell somewhat into a few catagories but you cant really make a perfect test that has exact parameters, that would never work

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_

I don't identify with any of these. As for the Myers-Briggs thing, I've taken several different versions of the test (for school-related things and an odd "get to know *yourself*" thing at work) and I've gotten INTJ twice and INFP once. Weird.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Kazona

I think I fall somewhere in between the wanderer and conqueror type.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By halberdierv2

i believe i am a wanderer. i love long RPGs with a good story. its like playing a novel.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By KaosAngel

Hardcore (H3)

I play about 10-20 games a week...before I get bored or stuck.

Bloodwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bloodwolf

i guess a wonderer is me..

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Lies

Hmm... not sure what you want me to post here lol.

Under your archetypes I would say I fall under the Conqueror H1 and the Manager C2. I love playing games to completion and trying to get everything, as long as there's some sort of reward. I 1050'd Mass Effect, and have all of the achievements for Halo 3, even the 0 point vidmasters. However, I only really get into this completionist attitude for games that I like lots because it helps me maximize my enjoyment of it. If I'm not enjoying a game, I will just discard it. But if I really love it, I will play it for every drop I can.

I'm an INTP on the Meyers-Briggs if that's at all relevant.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By natetodamax

I'm not sure which I am in. I love story oriented games, and I like to beat every game I own. I love single player and multiplayer.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sidescroller: I can often do the same thing, if I find a game I really like, mostly SRPG's, I'll want to go crazy H2. But when I play online FPS games I'm more C1.
Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

haha nice one

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#20  Edited By JackiJinx

I'm mostly H3, though I have a decent amount of H1 there.

I feel good about categorizing people, especially me. Put me in a box and ship me to China. Be done with it.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Xandurson

I'm definitely a Conquerer but I hate JRPG's. Other than that I fall in that category.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After doing all this research, I think I really see why I love SRPG's so much. It all makes sense now, and I don't feel so bad about not completing all those games now.

Need SRPG's for my 360. Yeah, that'll be the day....

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dethfish

When I was reading The Conqueror I was amazed by how much that sounded like me, except for the part about get 1000 points in games. That's just impossible sometimes. I pride myself on beating a game thoroughly and fast and the better I get at it the better I feel.

I really enjoyed reading that.

caseylakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By caseylakes

O'Hai, just your friendly, neighborhood Conquerer. I like reading these things, I always go "OMG, THAT IS SO WEIRD, THAT IS EXACTLY ME!!1".

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

H1 for me, obviously. I beat a game into the ground and then never look at it again. I don't like what that says about me in terms of relationships :P.

warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By warp

I relate most to an H3 with a few exceptions. I dont generally think games are too hard. A game can be hard as hell and still be fun, especially shooters like Ikaruga. However its when the challenge stops being fun that I become tempted to find hints about things.  The most recent example was in Fallout 3 when I was trying to get to a spot on the map that had a supply box or something (this was in Broken Steel BTW). I was searching high and low to find a path to get to the stupid goal and after an hour I finally just gave up and picked up a hint on where to go next. If I didnt I would have probably just rage quit the whole thing and not come back to it for weeks. But in the end after I found out where to go I barrelled through and never needed another hint to finish the quest and the story.

Once the game no longer keeps me entertained Ill just move on. No point wasting your life on something youre not enjoying. Now if only I could apply that philosophy to my career choices...

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dethfish77 said:

"When I was reading The Conqueror I was amazed by how much that sounded like me, except for the part about get 1000 points in games. That's just impossible sometimes. I pride myself on beating a game thoroughly and fast and the better I get at it the better I feel.

I really enjoyed reading that."

Good, glad people are finding types they feel most fit them. They don't have to fit perfect, and of course you can be part of multiple groups.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

I remember reading about this stuff years ago, but I think some of the research wouldn't fit entirely these days since the sampling has changed with the rise of the Wii and guitar hero-style genre into mainstream culture.

This blog has more info on the breakdown of gamer types.

But, using your choices I'm probably a hardcore wanderer (H3).  I see nothing wrong with consulting a game faq if I get to a difficult part or want to know how best to spend my skill points.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By oraknabo

How about the Completist? Kind of like the Conqueror, but is completely obsessed with collecting every little pickup, upgrade, achievement or collectible. If saves are counted, they try to beat the game with the lowest number of saves. If the game is timed, they try to get a faster speed run every time.

Like others have said, a problem I think you have in classifying gamers is how different gamers on multiplayer vs single player vs handhelds are.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By maxszy

I think there is tweaking that needs to go on with these categories. And if you are doing this for a project, you should be able to re-write them.

For me, I would be a Hardcore Wanderer. Or H3 as you are calling it. With EXCEPTIONS however. First of all, I never find a game "too hard" and just give up or something. I also would NEVER cheat. NEVER ever. I think cheats in games ruin the experience and are just rather ridiculous. That being said though, I play games that I enjoy and that's kind of it. If I am not enjoying it for whatever reason, I will stop playing it. I may play a game once, or multiple times depending on how much I enjoy it. But I don't care about being a "completionist" and I normally will play more games (to get more of a variety) often rather than playing a few games for longer amount of times. The exception being to that last part would be when I played WoW or went on COD4/WAW binge. But for the most part, its true.

So overall I like your topic. But I think fine tuning to categories is in order. Without editing the wanderer category, I don't feel I could fit comfortably in any of those.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo: The "Completest" as you call it, is basically H1. "They have the a genuine desire to see and do everything-not just to win, but to utterly conquer the game in every sense." - Quote from the book about H1.

@Maxszy: I didn't come up with these, and like I said before, it's really slimmed down. What I explained in a page and a half, I learned over the course of 60-70 pages in a textbook sized book. Maybe I should have explained deeper.

And of course, much of this psychology, which isn't an exact science, and there are always outliers.

Look at me, I'd be a Manager, but I don't plan ahead like they generally do.

IVIorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By IVIorpheus

I'm a casual manager....

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers