Gays should Marry?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Jimbo
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @eroticfishcake: I love the fact the her first point is:  .."ts not discrimination to treat different people differently.. ".   I mean WTF  Thats the fucking definition of it ! "
Misquote.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Jimbo: Sorry ....."things" Still means the same thing
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By Bruce
@JonathanMoore:  

The fuck does it matter what people on a video game website think about gay marriage? Jeez.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By ververdan0226
@Suicrat said:

" @ververdan0226:  Polite hypocrites are worse than assholish hypocrites, because all they do is incur unearned sympathy from those who aren't hypocrites and just wish to avoid conflict. "

A salient point, but this guy isn't showing any blatant signs of hypocrisy. I'm not defending him, he could be an absolutely horrible individual for all I know, and I don't agree with his viewpoints at all, but this thread should not be an attack on users with different opinions than us. He's not being a hypocrite, he is simply showing opposite viewpoints than you and you've used the avatar as a means of forming a case against him because he may be ignorant. If anything, he is a piece of shit, not a hypocrite. Don't attack him, just let this thread be respectful and discuss it in a rational manner, like you and I, and not form a quote pyramid. And please don't attack my viewpoints on his viewpoints and call me a pussy or anything along those lines, we're better than this.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Jimbo said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @eroticfishcake: I love the fact the her first point is:  .."ts not discrimination to treat different people differently.. ".   I mean WTF  Thats the fucking definition of it ! "
Misquote. "
"It's not discrimination to treat different things differently." To be exact.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56  Edited By Suicrat
@ververdan0226: I'm not attacking the user, I'm attacking his (total lack of) argument. He IS being a hypocrite. He's expressing himself while declaring that people with different preferences than him should not have the same right of self-expression. The skull avatar point was just as arbitrary as his point against gay rights. If he had expressed himself in any other way I would have just as arbitrarily (and just as facetiously) attacked his right to express himself in THAT way. It is a matter of course that he has the right to a skull in his avatar, just as it is a matter of course that gays should have the right to marry one another, but he doesn't seem to realize it, and so I have a personal obligation to point out his naked hypocrisy.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#57  Edited By dethfish

Yes. 

This issue upsets me quite a bit so I'll just leave it at that.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By JonathanMoore
@Bruce said:
" @JonathanMoore:   The fuck does it matter what people on a video game website think about gay marriage? Jeez. "
If were taking that route, then what the fuck's the point of having a forum. I thought the idea was for discussion, generally I find a discussion more interesting when people have an opinion on something. Sorry for being so stupid, jeez.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Hitchenson

It's up to them - I see no reason why any two people, regardless of sexuality/sex shouldn't be allowed to marry. People who have a problem with it are fucking faggots in my eyes. 

C wut i did thar?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By ImperiousRix

Sure, why not?

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ververdan0226
@Suicrat: I guess hypocrisy by ignorance is hypocrisy nonetheless, you've convinced me of that. Let's just leave it at that and end this. Gays should marry, you and I agree, that user doesn't. Oh well, I guess there's no convincing him at this point and all we're trying to do is convince ourselves. K?

And if you wish to talk me more, I think this open discourse and discussion should move to PM where we can discuss it even further. Seeing somebody with a valid argument who discusses stuff smartly on a forum is rare nowadays. You defend yourself well and make good points.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By ajamafalous

The fact that this is even an issue is upsetting.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By natetodamax
@ajamafalous said:
" The fact that this is even an issue is upsetting. "
I agree
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64  Edited By dbz1995
@natetodamax said:
" @ajamafalous said:
I agree "
Basically
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By turbomonkey138
@ajamafalous said:
this
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Suicrat
@ajamafalous said:
That's majority-rule-democracy for you. People think that if they shout loud enough and mobilize enough voters, they can control the lives of others.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By dethfish

I'm surprised with the poll results. I figured yes would be winning but not by so much. People seem to have very different opinions on this forum most of the time.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By pirate_republic

@Suicrat said:

" @ververdan0226:  Polite hypocrites are worse than assholish hypocrites, because all they do is incur unearned sympathy from those who aren't hypocrites and just wish to avoid conflict. "

What the hell is your problem? You seem unable to respect other peoples opinions. You also seem unable to exercise respect. I have stated my beliefs. They may be ignorant, hypocritical, and childish, but that doesn't mean you can go ahead and insult them just because my beliefs differ from yours.

I am a conservative. I don't believe in gay rights. I don't have any facts to back up my beliefs, but then and again I don't have to sit here and try to justify my beliefs to some ignorant asshole who is unable to understand that fact that other people have different opinions than him.

Good day to you sir.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ArchScabby
@Dethfish77 said:
" I'm surprised with the poll results. I figured yes would be winning but not by so much. People seem to have very different opinions on this forum most of the time. "
That's because they aren't all ultra conservative baby boomers.   Once all those idiots die off thing will be much better.
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By Tiwi

Yes, and logic tells you why.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ryanwho

I think a lot of evangelicals aren't even aware that Satanist, Muslims, Athiests, Spagetti Monsterists, and even Jewish people can get married. Because if their argument against it comes from their personal religious beliefs, then their argument against the above groups getting married should be equally as vocal. And I encourage those nutjobs to sound off on none Christian marriages in front of news cameras so we can dismiss them completely.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By crunchUK
@natetodamax said:
" @crunchUK said:
" honestly who cares it's just stupidity, them being able to marry doesn't mean suddenly YOU have to be a homosexual "
People are up in arms about it because apparently marriage is supposed to be a religious thing no matter what. It's fucking retarded what people say nowadays. "
Well then why does gay people getting married sotp them from having a religious marriage?
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By AhmadMetallic

to each his own and every person is free to do what they want no matter how much it disgusts me

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kmdrkul

No Caption Provided
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ryanwho
@crunchUK said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @crunchUK said:
" honestly who cares it's just stupidity, them being able to marry doesn't mean suddenly YOU have to be a homosexual "
People are up in arms about it because apparently marriage is supposed to be a religious thing no matter what. It's fucking retarded what people say nowadays. "
Well then why does gay people getting married sotp them from having a religious marriage? "
It doesn't, but individual venues can refuse to hold the ceremony. Look, the priests isn't going to be held at gunpoint, if he doesn't want the revenue that comes with providing a marriage service to a gay couple he's free to refuse. This is about the legal benifits that come with marriage.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Suicrat
@pirate_republic: 
You want the freedom to express yourself but you don't want people with different preferences from you to have the same freedom. I never insulted you, I called you a polite hypocrite, which until your most recent post was true. You don't like the criticisms I am giving your beliefs and you don't think people should arbitrarily infringe on other people's rights to say and do what they want. Yet you come in here claiming that gays aren't worthy of the same rights as straights, I'm going to point out how nakedly hypocritical that is because hypocrisy is worse than being an asshole. Famov's a self-described conservative as well, but you don't see him spewing hypocrisy the way you are.

I don't like hypocrisy, it's nothing personal. If you stop being a hypocrite, any conflict you have with me will disappear.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#77  Edited By JackiJinx
@dbz1995 said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @ajamafalous said:
I agree "
Basically "
Exactly.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By bubahula

why the hell not? seriously.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By natetodamax
@crunchUK said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @crunchUK said:
Well then why does gay people getting married sotp them from having a religious marriage? "
Because apparently in the Bible it says marriage is between a man and a woman, or something like that. And because people are indoctrinated by that book, they get angry when gays marry, or at least try to.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80  Edited By Karmum
@ajamafalous said:
The fact that people are voting "no" to this (seriously or as a joke) is even more upsetting.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Snipzor

Hey guys what's going on over here?

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By bubahula
@Karmum said:
" @ajamafalous said:
The fact that people are voting "no" to this (seriously or as a joke) is even more upsetting. "
this.  it shouldn't even be a question.
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By pirate_republic
@Suicrat said:

" @pirate_republic:  You want the freedom to express yourself but you don't want people with different preferences from you to have the same freedom. I never insulted you, I called you a polite hypocrite, which until your most recent post was true. You don't like the criticisms I am giving your beliefs and you don't think people should arbitrarily infringe on other people's rights to say and do what they want. Yet you come in here claiming that gays aren't worthy of the same rights as straights, I'm going to point out how nakedly hypocritical that is because hypocrisy is worse than being an asshole. Famov's a self-described conservative as well, but you don't see him spewing hypocrisy the way you are.I don't like hypocrisy, it's nothing personal. If you stop being a hypocrite, any conflict you have with me will disappear. "

This is a stupid argument. I agree with the freedom to express yourself, but there's a line. You said that I was worse then an asshole, and you based that on the fact that you feel that I'm a hypocrite.

If you hadn't engaged conflict with me, I wouldn't have returned the favor. You're saying that I'm the problem, and that the solution is that I should change my beliefs for you. I actually think that you're the problem, and that you should learn to exercise respect and not engage conflict in the first place. Because, usually, you're going to get a retaliation, which is what happened here.

I don't believe in gay rights. You do. You think I'm a hypocrite. Great, but you should not have evoked hostilities, surely you can admit that. I'm not going to stop being a hypocrite by changing my beliefs just so that some random guy on an internet forum can be happy.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#84  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

It doesn't matter to me so why not? 

GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD. DOG.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By animateria

Why not?

No explanations, no nothing.

Why not?

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#86  Edited By ApertureSilence
@JackiJinx said:
" @dbz1995 said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @ajamafalous said:
I agree "
Basically "
Exactly. "
Indeed.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ninjakiller

To anyone who voted no based on religion or any other bullshit excuse they give.  FUCK YOU!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I can't be the only one who sees the nonsense in claiming they shouldn't be able to because of religious and traditional reasons. Most people fail at abiding by their own religious principles anyway. People want to believe that marriage is sacred, but divorce is more common than ever. Adultery and deceit are everywhere in relationships. Oh, and for the record, gay people have had nothing to do with the divorce rates, so I don't see how it could hurt. Besides, to deny them of their basic human rights is immoral, oppressive and discriminatory. I can't see how any religion can seriously condemn it.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Suicrat
@pirate_republic: You ARE a hypocrite, P_R, there's no way around it. You claim to "agree with the freedom to express yourself", but then add (arbitrarily, and contradictorily) that there's a line. Well, I ask you, WHAT is that line? Another man's asshole? Fair enough, no one should have the right to fuck YOU in the ass. But if the line is "these (heterosexual) consenting adults should be free and these (homosexual) consenting adults should not" I ask you whether or not there is any justification for your infringement of other people's rights. And you still haven't provided me with any justification. All you have asserted is that you should be free to express yourself, but no one else should be. You're a hypocrite, you haven't explained how you aren't. You haven't shown that the contradiction in your argument is justified, and you can't (that is a challenge).

You evoked hostilities by insisting your rights matter but gays' rights do not. I merely answered the challenge by showing that your right to have a skull in your avatar is no different from a gay man's right to sign a marriage contract with another gay man.

I respect people when they demonstrate something that earns my respect. By arbitrarily drawing a line between gays and heterosexuals, you gave me reason to withhold my respect from you, so if you want my respect (and I sincerely doubt that you actually care about whether or not I respect you), then you should try and earn it.

So again, I ask, what makes a homosexual different (under the law) from a heterosexual?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By natetodamax
@Suicrat said:
So again, I ask, what makes a homosexual different (under the law) from a heterosexual? "
This is the most important question to be asked so far.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Akeldama

fine with me 

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ninjakiller
@pirate_republic said:
"   @Suicrat said:

What the hell is your problem? You seem unable to respect other peoples opinions. You also seem unable to exercise respect. I have stated my beliefs. They may be ignorant, hypocritical, and childish, but that doesn't mean you can go ahead and insult them just because my beliefs differ from yours. I am a conservative. I don't believe in gay rights. I don't have any facts to back up my beliefs, but then and again I don't have to sit here and try to justify my beliefs to some ignorant asshole who is unable to understand that fact that other people have different opinions than him.  Good day to you sir. "
If you don't have facts to back up beliefs then you are ignorant.  I might rant and rave and sound like a dousche because of my utter hatred of conservatives and everything they stand for, but at least I'm consistent with an individual's freedom of choice within the bounds of not hurting others and social justice.  Just saying "l don't believe in gay rights and I basically don't have to say why" makes you at least sound like an ignorant redneck, or at worst a closet hate mongerer who simply hates homosexuals because that's what they are.  So no, you don't get to get off the hook by saying "I don't hafta explain shit" like a five year old.  Either back up what you said with a laid out argument for why surpressing a whole group of people is kosher, or stfu and gtfo.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By crunchUK
@natetodamax said:
" @crunchUK said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @crunchUK said:
Because apparently in the Bible it says marriage is between a man and a woman, or something like that. And because people are indoctrinated by that book, they get angry when gays marry, or at least try to. "
rednecks ftl i guess? I have no idea how some parts (or people) of america manage to be so backward
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Absurd

I don't really care, but I voted for Yes anyway.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ryanwho
@pirate_republic said:
" @Suicrat said:

" @pirate_republic:  You want the freedom to express yourself but you don't want people with different preferences from you to have the same freedom. I never insulted you, I called you a polite hypocrite, which until your most recent post was true. You don't like the criticisms I am giving your beliefs and you don't think people should arbitrarily infringe on other people's rights to say and do what they want. Yet you come in here claiming that gays aren't worthy of the same rights as straights, I'm going to point out how nakedly hypocritical that is because hypocrisy is worse than being an asshole. Famov's a self-described conservative as well, but you don't see him spewing hypocrisy the way you are.I don't like hypocrisy, it's nothing personal. If you stop being a hypocrite, any conflict you have with me will disappear. "

This is a stupid argument. I agree with the freedom to express yourself, but there's a line. You said that I was worse then an asshole, and you based that on the fact that you feel that I'm a hypocrite.  If you hadn't engaged conflict with me, I wouldn't have returned the favor. You're saying that I'm the problem, and that the solution is that I should change my beliefs for you. I actually think that you're the problem, and that you should learn to exercise respect and not engage conflict in the first place. Because, usually, you're going to get a retaliation, which is what happened here.  I don't believe in gay rights. You do. You think I'm a hypocrite. Great, but you should not have evoked hostilities, surely you can admit that. I'm not going to stop being a hypocrite by changing my beliefs just so that some random guy on an internet forum can be happy. "
Well that about sums things up.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yes of course they should, religious doctrine should not get in the way of two people who love each other, and choose to make a commitment to each other.

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By pirate_republic
@Suicrat:
I have stated several times that I don't have any evidence to support my claims. It's an opinion. In my opinion, gays shouldn't have the right to marry, because in my opinion marriage is a religious affair. And in the bible, it states that marriage is between a man and a woman.

What can't you understand about this? Other people have different opinions than you. Accept it. You're as bad as the fanboys on system wars. If I'm a hypocrite, great, but no matter what you say, that doesn't give you the right to evoke hostilities.

Same thing with everyone else, including this fine post: 

@ninjakiller said:
" To anyone who voted no based on religion or any other bullshit excuse they give.  FUCK YOU! "

Not everyone shares your opinion. Accept it. Go on, immature GB members, take the last word, but accept the goddamn fact. That. Not. Everyone. Has. The. Same. Goddamn. Opinion. As. You. Also, theres a little thing called respect. Learn it.

Good day to you all.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By natetodamax
@crunchUK said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @crunchUK said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @crunchUK said:
Because apparently in the Bible it says marriage is between a man and a woman, or something like that. And because people are indoctrinated by that book, they get angry when gays marry, or at least try to. "
rednecks ftl i guess? I have no idea how some parts (or people) of america manage to be so backward "
Because like I said, people are indoctrinated by the Bible. They believe anything and everything that's contained within its pages and live their lives based on that. It's borderline insanity.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#99  Edited By Video_Game_King

They should be able to marry; whether or not gay people should marry each other is up to them. honestly. Exactly the same as with straight people. But for the sake of the poll, I'll just say "yes."

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ryanwho
@pirate_republic:
Good day to you. Clearly you've been out of the echochamber too long, better go recharge.