I might need some life advice.

• 78 results
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I have a bit of a problem when it comes to my life and I am not quite sure what to do, and I figured since I basically have no acquaintances left in real life I might as well ask it here.

Basically my problem is that I am content with my life but people keep demanding that I change and become more ambitious just to please them, and I guess my question is, should I do it?

I dropped out of high school cause I couldn't be bothered, I have a part time job stacking shelves in a grocery store that keeps me afloat, and I sleep 12-14 hours a day and spend the rest of it doing absolutely nothing. Now this might sound like a crappy life to most but I don't mind it, but my family does not approve, so what should I do?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

They're only doing it because they care about you. It sounds cliched, sure, but it's true. You might be content in the short term, but they're probably thinking about your future. A part time job isn't sustainable in the long run, and that's probably what they want for you: the capacity to self sustain should something happen.

While it's true that the most important thing in life is to look after yourself (And this cannot be stressed enough), you have to bear in mind that they're doing what they are out of love.

Take things slow, and change your life when you're ready to

Fighting!

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I have a bit of a problem when it comes to my life and I am not quite sure what to do, and I figured since I basically have no acquaintances left in real life I might as well ask it here.

Basically my problem is that I am content with my life but people keep demanding that I change and become more ambitious just to please them, and I guess my question is, should I do it?

I dropped out of high school cause I couldn't be bothered, I have a part time job stacking shelves in a grocery store that keeps me afloat, and I sleep 12-14 hours a day and spend the rest of it doing absolutely nothing. Now this might sound like a crappy life to most but I don't mind it, but my family does not approve, so what should I do?

Sounds like me except I finished high school and dropped out of college. Although for me it was mostly due to circumstances beyond my control. Do you still live at home? If you become independent of your parents and other people nobody can really say shit to you. If you're happy like that then I don't see the problem.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By MezZa

Change yourself only if you want to. Do what makes you happy. You have one life, so you might as well not worry about what other people think your life should be like. Do keep in mind that you may not be content with your current state forever though. Later on down the road what are you going to do if you find yourself unhappy? If you feel like you want to accomplish more in life then that's a different matter, and you should figure out how you can best go about doing so. Maybe try dabbling in some hobbies or find something to be passionate about that you could use to start doing more than just sleeping?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda with @fallen189 here. That's great you're content and there's a lot to be said about that, but do you wanna be 25, 30, 40 and still stocking shelves? If you do wanna get into a relationship with somebody, how attractive is that lifestyle to them?

Not trying to rag on you at all or say you need to change to please other people, just saying what you're content with now, you probably wont be down the road and it's easier to lay that groundwork when you're younger.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Simplexity

@simplexity said:

Sounds like me except I finished high school and dropped out of college. Although for me it was mostly due to circumstances beyond my control. Do you still live at home? If you become independent of your parents and other people nobody can really say shit to you. If you're happy like that then I don't see the problem.

I live by myself and pretty much rely on no one but myself when it comes to money.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JazGalaxy

Well, you say you have a part time job and that keeps you afloat, but from my experiences in life, it would be completely impossible to be fully self sufficient on a part time job.

Do you live with your family? Parents or relatives?

Because if you do, then it's likely they have a vested interest in your being a little bit more ambitious in life. Their objective, ultimately, would be to have you move out. Then you could do whatever you wanted that made you happy.

But, sleeping as much as you say you do and keeping a routine like you say you do doesn't sound healthy. It sounds like depression. If that's the case, then you probably need to look into it a little bit.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an interesting situation because it is the opposite of how I would think the majority of people feel. I for instance am striving for that contentedness.

I would say you should really think about getting a GED at the very least. Like I am happy you are content, but the lifestyle you are choosing to live right now will not last.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@simplexity: Huh. How cheap is rent for you? If you don't mind me asking.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10 sweep  Moderator

Fake your own death.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By isomeri

Finish high school and find a more stable job. I wouldn't change the way I live my life to please anyone, but I do think that a level of education along with a good job creates a lot of stability in your life.

I'm not sure where you'r living at the moment, but you should prepare yourself for a situation where you lose your current job or will need to find a new place to live. Eventually you will probably have to address both issues.

After two years of living with my parents after high-school and working a part-time job I sort of "pulled my shit together". I applied and got into a relatively nice university and moved into my own apartment. I have less free time now, but the free time I do have feels more substantial.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

you have to bear in mind that they're doing what they are out of love.

Some pretty bad things have happened in the name of love, though.

Take things slow, and change your life when you're ready to

I'd still say this, though. Change things up when you feel you're ready to. Don't rush into things because of another's desires.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly dude you are a slacker. However it is your effing life that you are choosing to slack with. If you are happy with it, go with it. You parental units sound concerned ( and they damn well should be).

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

12-14 hours of sleep... MANNNNN I would kill for 8

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Simplexity

@everyones_a_critic: 3500 Norwegian Kroner a month, which is about 600 dollars. My monthly paycheck is about 6000 Kroner which is about 1100 dollars or something, so it is easily livable.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@everyones_a_critic: 3500 Norwegian Kroner a month, which is about 600 dollars. My monthly paycheck is about 6000 Kroner which is about 1100 dollars or something, so it is easily livable.

1100 dollars in the states is not easily livable. At least not here in Texas. Do you guys have public healthcare and whatnot in Norway? That would make it a lot easier to live on that kind of wage.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@simplexity said:

1100 dollars in the states is not easily livable. At least not here in Texas. Do you guys have public healthcare and whatnot in Norway? That would make it a lot easier to live on that kind of wage.

It's not livable in Massachusetts either. Shit, even full time I only make $12 an hour that's barely livable.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@simplexity said:

Free healthcare and all that stuff, it is essentially 500 dollars on food a month, which is more than enough for me anyway.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Jimbo

Ain't no tuition for having no ambition.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

Do what you wanna.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mandude

If you would be unhappy doing something that doesn't mean a lot to you or your wellbeing, don't do it.

People should look at the social welfare system Norway has in place before criticising the OP for lack of stability. I can't say that I know much about it myself, but I imagine it has failsafes in place for both health and monthly income.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jazgalaxy said:

@simplexity said:

Free healthcare and all that stuff, it is essentially 500 dollars on food a month, which is more than enough for me anyway.

Sounds like you just are in a position of comfort. Sounds like you're not greedy and are not a very complex person. Those are good traits in my opinion and are usually rare/ against social norms. Everyone's usually trying to get more and more and always struggling to do so. It's rare for people like us who are happy with what we have.

My advice would be to just go with the flow. Maybe save any money you don't spend so that if one day you finally change your mind about what you want to be doing, you'll have some financial support to do it. Other than that, just do what makes you happy, not what people want you to do. Those people that are trying to get you to change are just projecting their own greedy ambitions in a "If I was you" kind of way. Well guess what? Not everyone wants to have a swimming pool full of gold ingots. SOME people are happy living a simple, stress free happy life.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By theguy

Do what you want man. Personally in your situation I would find it hard to deal with being of little value to humanity as a whole though.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stryker1121

Sleeping 12 to 14 hours daily and not having any acquaintances left as you state makes me think there's a problem, but I don't want to analyze you or measure my own wants w/ another's definition of happiness or contentment.

I can see the attraction of not striving for the brass ring like so many other people, but how happy are you, even if you are comfortable? I know what it's like to get used to the 'comfortable' routine, but I ended up in a rut that took a lot of work to get out of, and I was neither happy nor content during the process.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By artelinarose

I am in the same situation. I did not finish high school due to some very stupid choices on my part and some very stupid choices on a few other people's parts, I make about $1000 USD a month working part time at a job that requires very little input on my part and I pretty much just do that, sleep too much and play video games all day. It's very boring, but it's not very stressful. Unfortunately I add stress by thinking too much, but...

Let me tell you this: Your mindset will change and you need to be prepared in advance for that. Study for your GED equivalent, get your GED. I know that it is easier to say that than to do it or I would have it already myself because motivation is real hard when you don't really want to do much, but when you are ready to move forward with your life you will have a strong foundation for finding a better job with your GED.

I am 21, almost 22, and starting to want to do things with my life that I simply do not have the tools or the ability to accomplish. $1000 was fine when I was just starting out, but now that I am staring tens of thousands of dollars in the face just for the chance at being happy, I realize that I am just the bottom rung of a very, very long ladder.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're happy and not a burden on anybody, roll with with what you're already doing. Think of all the positives. People enjoy fully stocked shelves. No one likes waiting in line for moderately priced consumer goods, you don't contribute to that. 12 to 14 hours of sleep a day means that you're less taxing on the world's ever dwindling resources than a lot of other people. If you get to the point later in life where you want to change, you can. Until then, as long as you're happy with yourself, who give two shits what anyone else thinks.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck the haters and do what you want, unless you live at home with your parents. Move out then Fuck the Haters and do what you want!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@simplexity: The sad part is that at times, I've wondered if I'd also be content to work a basic job, live by myself, and while I wouldn't sleep 12-14 hours a day, I would fill the time with video games, and other media. I don't think I could go through with it.

So real talk: the major drawback to your lifestyle is that it gives you little to no status, and little material wealth. Think really hard about whether that matters to you. If you've already lost some real life acquaintances, then it probably goes without saying that your lifestyle will also be very unhelpful in a dating environment. It sounds like your wages cover your current bills for your living space and food, but aren't likely to go much farther than that? If you somehow dated and married someone, the kind of jobs you would have likely would not be enough to realistically support a family, right? That's a consideration, as even if you don't want a family right now, you might in 10 years, but wouldn't be in a financial situation to do it properly.

My suggestion is to try to make good on your personal abilities. You don't have to go crazy and try to get into Oxford or Harvard, but I have to imagine you're capable of finishing high school, and potentially something at a community college. Granted, if you really don't care, figuring out what to take at school is hard, but in theory, at least you would end up giving the appearance to your parents that you're trying, and you'd probably be able to get a better job than your current one. Maybe you'll still want to continue your single, sleep-12-hours, do-nothing lifestyle, but at least you'll have more financial flexibility if you change your mind.

Or if you really don't want to go back to school, again, make good on your personal abilities. You're a young, healthy guy, I assume? Go travel; maybe you'll learn something from it, and even if you don't, at least you did something interesting. I know a guy who finished high school, and basically hitchhikes around Canada, finding temporary jobs here and there, going to protests, and generally being a hippie. Probably harder to do unless you travel south of Norway, but hey, it's an option.

emoticorpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can relate to your situation, I don't have much or make much but am happy with my situation. Hopefully, you are aware at the kinds of things that happen as you get older and situations get harder sometimes and something to fall back on is necessary because it's not a matter of IF it's WHEN and since life is long it is smarter to plan ahead. Aside from that I am glad to hear your spirit hasn't been tainted with a desire for things that keep you asking for more. Most people live to a standard that if put in your place would be DISTROUGHT, so good thing that's not you, you can't buy that kind of satisfaction.

Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's some pretty solid comments in this thread I think there is some good advice to be had. My thought turns to if you plan on working your whole life or if you would like to one day retire and spend your later years spending time with family or travel. I consider how likely it is for many of our generation (teenagers/in our 20's and 30's) to see HEALTHY life well into our 70's and 80's or beyond. If that's the case it would be (I think) a real shame if you were to be living as you are now 50 years from today.

I'd be thankful you have family or friends who have the interest and love to encourage you to be a little more ambitious in life; even if it's not what you want to hear, there are many people in this world who could benefit from a support network like that and simply don't have it.

One last thing, if you plan on ever starting a family then you owe your children a comfortable and steady childhood that your current living situation likely wouldn't allow. If you're not planning on children, then make sure you don't have any! :) I'm a school teacher and there's nothing more sad and frustrating than trying to interact with a struggling student's parent who never wanted to have a child in the first place. That's my soapbox I'll hop off now :) GL to you.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone should put the OP on Sudoku watch.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Simplexity

@moztacular: Trust me, you do not have to worry about me having children, that is simply not going to happen.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@simplexity:

That may be fine for now, but down the road you'll really be limiting your options in the case of disaster, unplanned pregnancy, just life in general with no financial or social safety net. If you do not advance your qualifications eventually you will have trouble finding employment. Your family is right to be concerned about your future.

People also tend to stay friends with people whose lives are economically similar to theirs. So if your friends are going to college, getting internships and moving ahead with their lives, you may find yourself alone ten years from now.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Oh man, life choices. Time to introspect again~

While I can sympathize with the feeling of contentment and getting by with what you have, I can't relate to not keeping friends around. Even if they are all more or less internet based, I think human contact is important. But hey, maybe I'm just projecting.

Good luck with whatever you feel like doing!

Andareas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Andareas

Where do you live in Norway? Any other jobs you would want? Do you feel like working more? If you need anyone to talk to about anything you could PM me. I was in the same situation in 2009 and I can say I feel better now for dealing with some of my lifestyle issues. I got more social, I opened up more and got more friends with the same interests as me. I haven't completed High school either, but I have grades in most of the general studies classes and I still got my way to an animation school, but I dropped out after a year because of money issues and bad teachers. I now work full time at a gas station getting around 4400 USD or 25000 nok a month. I have some student loan on 200k Nok and still live with my parents till I can find a new job and a place to live elsewhere. I pay them rent tho, about the same as you do and I got a section of the house for myself.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't imagine myself in your situation. I have certain things that I want to accomplish in my life. I want to have a job I'm proud of and enjoy, be able to afford good food, stylish clothes, and be able to travel and do fun excursions when I feel like it. Most women will tell you that they want an ambitious man as well, so there's that.

But, if you're comfortable with coasting by and just existing then I'm not going to judge you. It may be a good idea to at least get your highschool education though, just in case you want to eventually get a better job. You may need to go to college after that, but it's one less obstacle at least.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@simplexity: Duder if you are completely self-sufficient, have no problems money wise and are comfortable the way you are then basically tell everyone else to fuck off. I wish I could be in your position.

Although I would agree with everyone else that you should go back to school and at least get the equivalent of a High school diploma or whatever. You know just in case.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@andareas said:

Where do you live in Norway? Any other jobs you would want? Do you feel like working more? If you need anyone to talk to about anything you could PM me. I was in the same situation in 2009 and I can say I feel better now for dealing with some of my lifestyle issues. I got more social, I opened up more and got more friends with the same interests as me. I haven't completed High school either, but I have grades in most of the general studies classes and I still got my way to an animation school, but I dropped out after a year because of money issues and bad teachers. I now work full time at a gas station getting around 4400 USD or 25000 nok a month. I have some student loan on 200k Nok and still live with my parents till I can find a new job and a place to live elsewhere. I pay them rent tho, about the same as you do and I got a section of the house for myself.

What the fucking hell? $4,400 a month for working at a gas station???

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the OP, truth be told, anyone who isn't encouraging you to go to school and make try to maximize your potential is selling you a touchy-feely load of garbage advice.

If this was a videogame, you'd know exactly what to do and probably the best way to min/max it.

Life isn't a game, but many of the same principals are applicable. You are comfortable now, but what if something unpredictable occurs? And in life, the unpredictable always occurs.

TheMessiBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheMessiBeast

I've had this conversation with myself many times, and I feel that it applies perfectly here. Something that you must ask yourself as you ponder your short life (because let's face it, life is definitely short) is: What do I want my life to be?

Whenever I've ask myself that question, the answer is pretty simple (at least for me). I want a family, a wife I love, a beautiful house, a comfortable lifestyle, a close group of friends, a job which I enjoy and which challenges me, and ultimately, happiness. Every time I return to that answer, I realize that I need to work harder. Because all of those things aren't just like anything else that I want (like the newest iPhone or the latest FIFA game), they're something that I strive for, that I LIVE for.

And while I've often been the guy who takes the path of least resistance, I'm determined and selfish. So while I could spend my days replaying through Pokemon games and other RPG adventures, they're not what I live for and they won't get me the life that I dream of. They're a luxury. A time-wasting luxury that I can enjoy in moderation. If I want to have that gorgeous house, loving family, and comfortable lifestyle, I'm going to have to work my ass off. And while this upcoming statement might be surprising to some (it definitely surprised me when I started to realize that I had to work hard in life), hard work and success will give you the greatest sense of satisfaction you'll find in life (and yes, even more satisfaction than beating Dark Souls).

So my question to you is, what do you live for? Do spend your days striving to reach the end of your grocery store shift so you can play through another videogame? Or do you spend your days working in hopes that one day you'll have a magnificent life story to tell your children and grandchildren? It's all up to you, and and remember that the life you lead will be the only one you have.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Piranesi

You are depressed. Cutting yourself off from friends and, it sounds like, your own potential for a great life is worrying.

Don't turn to substitutes or pacifiers (drugs, psychotherapists, self-help books, alcohol, food, internet support groups, religion or even games) - they won't fill the void. You will need to spot the difference between feeling sad, lonely or worse - and learn responses to each state.

Things won't change though unless you actively do something about it. You may well miss opportunities and signs to turn things around because you are not seeing things clearly.

Don't aim for happiness and don't judge other people to be happier than you. Follow your own path but make sure that it is an interesting one. There doesn't have to be a goal beyond getting out of bed each day. It doesn't matter what you do or who you are - no one is keeping score. We are all crazy and mixed up in our own unique way but don't let it define you or stop you from doing anything you want now or in the future.

I know this sounds like airy-fairy bollocks but there are places some of us have seen that you don't want to go.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spraynardtatum

Do what you want. I think if you like what your life is than there is no reason to change it. Don't let people tell you what your life is, only you see it the way it matters. However you can't know what kinds of things could possibly happen that would pull you out of what you want to do. Maybe one day your job stacking boxes won't be enough, maybe you'll always be okay. No one can tell. I suggest capitalizing on any motivation you have though. Learn new things, take classes, expand your mind bra!

There's a lot that the world offers outside of your comfort zone.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: Norwegian jobs are lucrative, I make about 150nok after tax per hour which is the equivalent of 25 bucks an hour in the states.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do what you wanna.

It's your thang?

Loading Video...

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: Norwegian jobs are lucrative, I make about 150nok after tax per hour which is the equivalent of 25 bucks an hour in the states.

STOCKING SHELVES? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PillClinton

Simple: if you're a burden to others, you must change. If you're not, do what feels right.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By jacdg

@aegon said:

@simplexity said:

STOCKING SHELVES? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

The tax level is very high, and products are way more expensive than in America or even Britain. At least it is in Denmark, and I know it is practically the same in Norway, aside from beer, which is insanely expensive in Norway.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tidel

I've had this conversation with myself many times, and I feel that it applies perfectly here. Something that you must ask yourself as you ponder your short life (because let's face it, life is definitely short) is: What do I want my life to be?

Whenever I've ask myself that question, the answer is pretty simple (at least for me). I want a family, a wife I love, a beautiful house, a comfortable lifestyle, a close group of friends, a job which I enjoy and which challenges me, and ultimately, happiness. Every time I return to that answer, I realize that I need to work harder. Because all of those things aren't just like anything else that I want (like the newest iPhone or the latest FIFA game), they're something that I strive for, that I LIVE for.

And while I've often been the guy who takes the path of least resistance, I'm determined and selfish. So while I could spend my days replaying through Pokemon games and other RPG adventures, they're not what I live for and they won't get me the life that I dream of. They're a luxury. A time-wasting luxury that I can enjoy in moderation. If I want to have that gorgeous house, loving family, and comfortable lifestyle, I'm going to have to work my ass off. And while this upcoming statement might be surprising to some (it definitely surprised me when I started to realize that I had to work hard in life), hard work and success will give you the greatest sense of satisfaction you'll find in life (and yes, even more satisfaction than beating Dark Souls).

So my question to you is, what do you live for? Do spend your days striving to reach the end of your grocery store shift so you can play through another videogame? Or do you spend your days working in hopes that one day you'll have a magnificent life story to tell your children and grandchildren? It's all up to you, and and remember that the life you lead will be the only one you have.

Great post.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Socialism for the win, I don't earn a lot annually so I barely pay any tax so I just rake it in.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By super_machine

Buy a camera and start taking pictures of random stuff. Go somewhere outside you really like and look for things to shoot. I find its a good hobby/escape.