• 162 results
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

I've never understood the hate or disdain for the term gamer.

If I'm not a gamer, what am I then? video gamer, interactive media participator?

I've always thought of myself as a gamer. My game of choice happens to be video games.

So, what should people who play video games and wish to be called something be called?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Suicrat

An individual?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

You and I are both gamers. No worries.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

Giantbombers.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer

Since when is it offensive? I will happily proclaim myself as a gamer, I am a person who enjoys playing games on a level that is above casual, therefore I am a gamer.

Its a short, sweet, accurate term of exactly who we are based on what we like to do.. it follows the basic rules of nomenclature, think about other things.. Joker, Masturbator, I dunno, theres lots. It is common sense.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zeforgotten

Who the hell has gotten offended because someone called them "gamer" ?  
or 
Who the hell tried to insult someone by calling him/her a gamer? o.O

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho
@Claude said:
" I've never understood the hate or disdain for the term gamer.  If I'm not a gamer, what am I then? video gamer, interactive media participator? I've always thought of myself as a gamer. My game of choice happens to be video games.   So, what should people who play video games and wish to be called something be called? "
Gamers. Don't be a weirdo, unless you'd rather be called a weirdo. People who are gamers who don't want to be called gamers are called weirdos. There's your answer.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai

Gamers we are all. Anyone who tells you otherwise is suffering from a  "I'm Jack's complete case of denial." 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Suicrat

Can't someone admit and be honest with themselves and their peers about loving video games, video game culture, and the video game community, and also not wish to be referred to by other people's labels?

Sure, I can't stop you from calling me a gamer, but that's not a word I would use to describe myself, and that doesn't make me an asshole, a weirdo, or in denial, none of which have anything necessarily to do with video games or being a gamer, so what the fuck?

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Adamantium

Wear it proudly, man.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I'ma gamer....

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bigandtasty
@Suicrat said:
" Can't someone admit and be honest with themselves and their peers about loving video games, video game culture, and the video game community, and also not wish to be referred to by other people's labels?

Sure, I can't stop you from calling me a gamer, but that's not a word I would use to describe myself, and that doesn't make me an asshole, a weirdo, or in denial, none of which have anything necessarily to do with video games or being a gamer, so what the fuck? "
Word, man. I don't like the term "gamer", but I don't like labels in general. I prefer to say "Yeah, I play a lot of video games" rather than "Yeah, I consider myself a gamer". "Gamer" seems to imply that we're all very similar, which isn't true.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Claude
@Suicrat said:
" Can't someone admit and be honest with themselves and their peers about loving video games, video game culture, and the video game community, and also not wish to be referred to by other people's labels?

Sure, I can't stop you from calling me a gamer, but that's not a word I would use to describe myself, and that doesn't make me an asshole, a weirdo, or in denial, none of which have anything necessarily to do with video games or being a gamer, so what the fuck? "
Well, what the fuck are you then?
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake

I think Claude is probably thinking about this thread. I don't think "offensive" is the proper word but more like derogotary. I however, don't think it is in anyway whatsoever. I just think thr word "gamer" sounds a little off. Essentially that's what I am but as I said before I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" but just a "guy who plays videogames" instead. It's the same thing really but I just like to call myself that instead.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By billyhoush

Either you are a happy consumer or a dirty pirate.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
@Suicrat: If you love video games, video game culture and the video game community, you are a gamer. You might not want to use that term to describe yourself, but that doesn't change the fact that you're a gamer.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Suicrat
@Icemael said:
" @Suicrat: If you love video games, video game culture and the video game community, you are a gamer. You might not want to use that term to describe yourself, but that doesn't change the fact that you're a gamer. "
No, it doesn't change the fact that you feel the need to refer to me as such. You could just as easily make the claim that these traits of mine make me a consumer, and while that would be technically true, that isn't a term I would use to describe myself.@Claude said:
" @Suicrat said:

Well, what the fuck are you then? "
See my first post in this thread.
@Bigandtasty said:
" @Suicrat said:

Word, man. I don't like the term "gamer", but I don't like labels in general. I prefer to say "Yeah, I play a lot of video games" rather than "Yeah, I consider myself a gamer". "Gamer" seems to imply that we're all very similar, which isn't true. "

Exactly, there is infinite diversity within the video game culture, and I think those who insist on such labels are doing the culture a disservice, even if they think otherwise.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Claude
@Suicrat said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Suicrat: If you love video games, video game culture and the video game community, you are a gamer. You might not want to use that term to describe yourself, but that doesn't change the fact that you're a gamer. "
No, it doesn't change the fact that you feel the need to refer to me as such. You could just as easily make the claim that these traits of mine make me a consumer, and while that would be technically true, that isn't a term I would use to describe myself.@Claude said:
" @Suicrat said:

Well, what the fuck are you then? "
See my first post in this thread.
@Bigandtasty said:
" @Suicrat said:

Word, man. I don't like the term "gamer", but I don't like labels in general. I prefer to say "Yeah, I play a lot of video games" rather than "Yeah, I consider myself a gamer". "Gamer" seems to imply that we're all very similar, which isn't true. "
Exactly, there is infinite diversity within the video game culture, and I think those who insist on such labels are doing the culture a disservice, even if they think otherwise. "
Okay, so you're nothing. A consumer of sorts. Is that it?
SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolemnOaf

manflannelists.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Claude
@SolemnOaf said:
" manflannelists. "
I love his hate, don't hate on him.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Suicrat
@Claude: A gamer is also a consumer of sorts. We are all consumers of sorts, none of these terms really describe who we are, so I personally would rather acknowledge this state of diversity by referring to myself and others as and "individual", as in "and end in myself", or "whole", or "distinct". There are many traits associated with being an "individual", few of which revolve around consumption habits, none of which revolve around nothingness.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icemael
@Suicrat: But what makes you an "individual" is your unique combination of traits, "gamer" and "consumer" being two of them.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Claude
@Suicrat said:
" @Claude: A gamer is also a consumer of sorts. We are all consumers of sorts, none of these terms really describe who we are, so I personally would rather acknowledge this state of diversity by referring to myself and others as and "individual", as in "and end in myself", or "whole", or "distinct". There are many traits associated with being an "individual", few of which revolve around consumption habits, none of which revolve around nothingness. "
I want to go your way, but I feel held back because of my hobby. It's shared by so many people that I think it deserves a name. Hell, there's even people called hobbyist.
Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Crocio

As Suicrat said, the term gamer is a label, and like all labels, it truncates individual differences, and I personally dislike using the term for that reason.
People in this thread seem to have a need of fitting people into groups; which in my opinion, is silly as you are you,  not a generic term that may 
vary in meaning from person to person.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Bigandtasty said:
" @Suicrat said:

But.. we all play games.. so it is true. 

The label 'gamer' is designated for people like us who play videogames; therefore being called a gamer, in essence is being called a person who enjoys playing videogames.... and that is something we have in common. Thus our common trait; 'games' is turned into a word that can describe us all; 'gamer'.

I'm not saying we are all the same, obviously we are very different people, and even within games we will of course have differences, but what I am saying is that the label gamer, describes us, we are gamers, we like to play games, its why we are all on a videogame website right now, which is pretty great proof.

As for 'not wanting to conform' to labels, thats just silly and juvenile, people assign labels and names to things to give life order, grouping things with a common trait under a given name, its just taxonomy in action friends, we are all humans, we are all gamers, but we have differences within that.

For example, take a horse and a donkey, obviously they are not the same animal, however they belong to the same family (Equidae) which means that they share common traits. In the same way, while we are all different people, we have common traits, being collectively called 'gamers' is just an attempt to identify and name a common trait we all possess. So fuck your labels.
SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolemnOaf
@Claude said:
" @SolemnOaf said:
" manflannelists. "
I love his hate, don't hate on him. "

You mistake my intentions.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Suicrat
@Icemael said:
" @Suicrat: But what makes you an "individual" is your unique combination of traits, "gamer" and "consumer" being two of them. "
Gaming and consumption being one of them. I can do something without claiming the pretense ofbeing a doer of that thing.

Remember, this is not an attempt to trample on other people's desire for self-identity, I just ask that you respect by desire for self-identity.@Claude said:
" @Suicrat said:
" @Claude: A gamer is also a consumer of sorts. We are all consumers of sorts, none of these terms really describe who we are, so I personally would rather acknowledge this state of diversity by referring to myself and others as and "individual", as in "and end in myself", or "whole", or "distinct". There are many traits associated with being an "individual", few of which revolve around consumption habits, none of which revolve around nothingness. "
I want to go your way, but I feel held back because of my hobby. It's shared by so many people that I think it deserves a name. Hell, there's even people called hobbyist. "
Indeed, there are endless amounts of people who wish to be defined by one or more of their personal tastes. I don't want to infringe on a homosexual's right to call him- or herself "gay" or "lesbian", I would just wish to also remind them that they are more than their love for people who share their anatomy, but I wouldn't demand that they not refer to themselves gay or lesbian.
TyphoonSwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TyphoonSwell

I'm a gamer! Er, I think I am, at least....

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Suicrat
@Xeiphyer said:
" @Bigandtasty said:
" @Suicrat said:

But.. we all play games.. so it is true.   The label 'gamer' is designated for people like us who play videogames; therefore being called a gamer, in essence is being called a person who enjoys playing videogames.... and that is something we have in common. Thus our common trait; 'games' is turned into a word that can describe us all; 'gamer'.  I'm not saying we are all the same, obviously we are very different people, and even within games we will of course have differences, but what I am saying is that the label gamer, describes us, we are gamers, we like to play games, its why we are all on a videogame website right now, which is pretty great proof.  As for 'not wanting to conform' to labels, thats just silly and juvenile, people assign labels and names to things to give life order, grouping things with a common trait under a given name, its just taxonomy in action friends, we are all humans, we are all gamers, but we have differences within that.  For example, take a horse and a donkey, obviously they are not the same animal, however they belong to the same family (Equidae) which means that they share common traits. In the same way, while we are all different people, we have common traits, being collectively called 'gamers' is just an attempt to identify and name a common trait we all possess. So fuck your labels. "
Yes, but humans are beings of infinite complexity, where as equidae are valued for their running and hauling abilities (and in some cultures for the quality of their meat).

A lot of the dislike for those of us who are opposed to these sorts of labels seems to stem for some sort of post-modern Platonism.

It seems you and your cohorts are making the leap in logic that ends in assuming one is something, because one does something. Sure, you could call me an eater, a breather, a lover, a hater, a fighter, an arguer, a debater, a gamer; and you may see all of these identities and more when you look upon me. But I am the arbiter of my identity, not you. And I am here to tell you that I am an individual, that I am an end in of myself, and that I will define my identity, not you.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Icemael
@Suicrat said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Suicrat: But what makes you an "individual" is your unique combination of traits, "gamer" and "consumer" being two of them. "
Gaming and consumption being one of them. I can do something without claiming the pretense ofbeing a doer of that thing."
If you game, you are a gamer. If you consume, you are a consumer. If you live, you are a living being. 

You seem to think that just because I call someone a gamer, I imply that he's only a gamer. I'm not. I'm simply saying that "gamer" is one of his traits. I really don't see what you have against that.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Suicrat
@Icemael: Please read my response to Xeiphiyer.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EvilTwin

I'm not offended by the term gamer, but in certain situations coming out of certain people's mouths it does sound pretty lame and awkward. 

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bigandtasty
@Xeiphyer said:

"But.. we all play games.. so it is true.   The label 'gamer' is designated for people like us who play videogames; therefore being called a gamer, in essence is being called a person who enjoys playing videogames.... and that is something we have in common. Thus our common trait; 'games' is turned into a word that can describe us all; 'gamer'.  I'm not saying we are all the same, obviously we are very different people, and even within games we will of course have differences, but what I am saying is that the label gamer, describes us, we are gamers, we like to play games, its why we are all on a videogame website right now, which is pretty great proof.  As for 'not wanting to conform' to labels, thats just silly and juvenile, people assign labels and names to things to give life order, grouping things with a common trait under a given name, its just taxonomy in action friends, we are all humans, we are all gamers, but we have differences within that.  For example, take a horse and a donkey, obviously they are not the same animal, however they belong to the same family (Equidae) which means that they share common traits. In the same way, while we are all different people, we have common traits, being collectively called 'gamers' is just an attempt to identify and name a common trait we all possess. So fuck your labels. "

What's with that last part?

Anyway, I'm not some stupid non-conformist crusader. The problem is not the original definition of "gamer," which is "a person who plays video games". The problem is the implications that the label picks up over time, like "nerd" and "geek" and "anti-social" and so on, or for "hardcore gamers", "we're cool and better than all those casual idiots". I feel like all labels become misused soon after they are created, sometimes as an insult, sometimes as a misplaced badge of pride, but always deviating far away from the original, simple definition.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Icemael
@Suicrat: It is an assumption that is true. An eater is someone who eats -- someone who eats is an eater. If you eat, you are an eater. That is fact. If you deny it you deny part of yourself and as a result, your precious individuality.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Suicrat said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" @Bigandtasty said:
" @Suicrat said:

But.. we all play games.. so it is true.   The label 'gamer' is designated for people like us who play videogames; therefore being called a gamer, in essence is being called a person who enjoys playing videogames.... and that is something we have in common. Thus our common trait; 'games' is turned into a word that can describe us all; 'gamer'.  I'm not saying we are all the same, obviously we are very different people, and even within games we will of course have differences, but what I am saying is that the label gamer, describes us, we are gamers, we like to play games, its why we are all on a videogame website right now, which is pretty great proof.  As for 'not wanting to conform' to labels, thats just silly and juvenile, people assign labels and names to things to give life order, grouping things with a common trait under a given name, its just taxonomy in action friends, we are all humans, we are all gamers, but we have differences within that.  For example, take a horse and a donkey, obviously they are not the same animal, however they belong to the same family (Equidae) which means that they share common traits. In the same way, while we are all different people, we have common traits, being collectively called 'gamers' is just an attempt to identify and name a common trait we all possess. So fuck your labels. "
Yes, but humans are beings of infinite complexity, where as equidae are valued for their running and hauling abilities (and in some cultures for the quality of their meat).

A lot of the dislike for those of us who are opposed to these sorts of labels seems to stem for some sort of post-modern Platonism.

It seems you and your cohorts are making the leap in logic that ends in assuming one is something, because one does something. Sure, you could call me an eater, a breather, a lover, a hater, a fighter, an arguer, a debater, a gamer; and you may see all of these identities and more when you look upon me. But I am the arbiter of my identity, not you. And I am here to tell you that I am an individual, that I am an end in of myself, and that I will define my identity, not you. "

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't see anything wrong with being referred to as a gamer, when I was kid I thought it was awesome to be called one.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By vidiot
"Gaming enthusiast", anyone?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Suicrat
@Icemael said:
" @Suicrat: It is an assumption that is true. An eater is someone who eats -- someone who eats is an eater. If you eat, you are an eater. That is fact. If you deny it you deny part of yourself and as a result, your precious individuality. "
I am not denying the act of eating, I am denying your (and anyone else's) alleged right to give me an identity. I can not "be" anything to you if I do not want to be. As I said, this isn't a dispute of your right to use labels on me that you wish, but a denial of anyone's claim to have a right to impose an identity on me.

A homophobe could just as easily say to a person who practices homosexuality that the word sodomite describes what he is, but I would sympathize with the victim of the imposition in his desire to not be referred to as a sodomite, and for his insistence on defining his identity himself.

This is why many languages have a problem with (or don't even try to grapple with the concept of) the verb "to be". It is totalitarian in its very nature.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By KamasamaK

You may label yourself however you like -- make up a new word or phrase with the same meaning if it suits you. If you have an affinity for gaming and feel it is a defining characteristic of yours, then there is nothing wrong with that. Without labels, it would also be more difficult to have meaningful discussions involving groups with some common trait(s).

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Claude
@vidiot said:
" "Gaming enthusiast", anyone? "
The enthusiast press would agree. Maybe... I'm a video game fanboy.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Xeiphyer

Hopefully that joke goes across, maybe the commercials are just Canada only.. =P

Anyways, I agree with you guys, but I wanted to represent the other side of the story.

I think labels are usually a gross over-simplification of something that is easily used as a tool for stereotyping and prejudice by others.

As far as gamer goes though, I never thought of it as having a negative connotation, I don't think most adults are 'down with it' enough to be able to associate gamer with anyone, I personally have never been called a gamer in a negative way, although I know some adults that look down on videogames in general, namely my girlfriends parents >_>"

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Icemael
@Suicrat: It is through actions one defines oneself. By eating, you define yourself as an eater. I am not imposing an identity on you; I am merely using the identity you impose on yourself.
Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Sorry bro, but when people say they are "gamers" I decide right then and there that I don't like them as much as before.  It gives me a similar feeling to the time when I went to see that second Lord of the Rings movie in the movie theater...

Also, when I hear that term, I think of gambling and all that. 
memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By memo

be proud of being a gamer...we should all be proud

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Claude said:

" @vidiot said:

" "Gaming enthusiast", anyone? "
The enthusiast press would agree. Maybe... I'm a video game fanboy. "
More like "Interactive-Media Aficionado"
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bigandtasty
@Xeiphyer: Those commercials are in the US too, and yeah, they're hilarious.

Thanks for explaining yourself, I was pretty hostile towards your first post but I get where you're coming from. You're right that in most social circles "gamer" isn't really an insult yet, but I think will soon get to that point with some middle/high school kids.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By Red12b

You are a duder, Be proud, 

Heh Heh, Dude = Camel penis hahaha
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zityz

Toking guy who blazes up, sucks back monster and says stuff like I play CoD and Halo HARDCORE MAN! Nintendo is for kids! 360 is better than ps3 man cause they have fag games-could be classified as a "gamer" 

Regualr dude who enjoys the meduim of video games for what they are and like talking about them such and such- could ALSO be classified as a "gamer" 

"Gamer" is way to generic and could mean anything. I prefer myself the term Game Hobbiest. Because that's what my hobby is. The video game meduim. Besides I've only heard teenagers use that term more than adults, but thats just me.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By natetodamax
@Suicrat said:
" An individual? "
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jakob187

Oh, Claude...I would post a long list of paragraphs about this, but I'll make it short:  the only people that are offended about being called "gamers" are commonly referred to as "haters".