Is Mr. Pink Justified in Refusing to Tip?

• 138 results
Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Gruff182

So in america, do waitresses actually get paid under the legal minium wage?! If so thats pretty messed up.

I always tip when eating out, though I don't really get it. No one else gets tipped for doing their job correctly, no matter how shitty it is.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By hbkdx12
@Landon said:

@hbkdx12 said:

@frankfartmouth said:

@JazGalaxy:

Waiting tables is a "real" job, a pretty goddamn hard, thankless, and stressful job as a matter of fact, one that almost every single person in the industry does out of necessity, not because they're lazy or trying to work some scam like you say. I've worked in the restaurant business my whole life, and I've never encountered someone who does it for the reasons you say. Servers don't typically make a lot of money, they make decent money for the hours they work which are almost invariably part time but extremely flexible. And that's the reason most people do it: because they are trying to get into something else but it's not a snap of a finger thing like you make it out and the schedule flexibility allows them to go to school, study, and still tend to family needs and the such. It's a means to an end. Most people hate doing it because you're treated like a dog by a lot of customers who think they're better than you because you're a server and they're not .

So I think I need to bring Mr. White into this and say, "You don't know what you're talking about." And neither do any of the people who are talking about server wages or the mandatory tip thing. I get paid 2.40 an hour by the restaurant. That's not below minimum wage, it's barely anything. In America, you are a major dick if you leave anything below 10% on competent service, a little cheap if you leave anything below 15, and generous if you go up to 20. On exceptional service, you shouldn't go below 17 or 18 but 20 is the standard. You don't tip only when the service is phenomenal.

I would never suggest to anyone, server or not, that serving isn't a real job so I'm not touching that but this two tiered level of tipping based on performance is, with all due respect to you and any other servers, just absolute BS to me. Tipping someone who ISN"T giving you phenomenal service suggests that, at best, they're doing the job that they were hired to do. They're doing exactly what their job entails; no more no less and their wage is meant to be compensation as such regardless of how shitty.

Yeah but, what is phenomenal service when you are waiting tables? Bringing your food to you as soon as it's done? Refilling your drink before it gets halfway? Being friendly with the customers? Isn't all of that expected anyway? So by your logic, when are you ever suppose to tip?

Anyone who has an opinion about not tipping really hasn't worked a job that relies on tips.I think Daniel Tosh said it best: Everyone should have to wait tables for at least one year of their lives, so they realize their ranch dressing isn't really that fucking important.

Of course any judgement of service is completely subjective and is going to be different for everyone but sure, lets assume that everyone expects that level of service that you just highlighted as a bare minimum. My point still stands in that the job your expected to do is the job you get paid to do. In this case that pay is extremely fuckin horrible. I'm not trying to suggest that the caveats, financial and otherwise, of being a server with the system that's in place isn't completely exploitative. But its pretty much the only industry where the customer is expected to offset that which to me is fucked up. 

Granted, most servers bust their fuckin ass and put up with a lot and even if the wage wasn't shitty it's still not a job that i'd want to do and for that i feel that servers should be paid accordingly...by their employers. Other than pointing the fingers at customers and the idea of tipping, what justifies employers giving servers such low pay? The only thing one could even suggest is that it helps keep the pricing of the food "low" but even then that still doesn't create a dynamic where it makes sense to leave the customer at fault

When did we all buy into this is what im wondering. How is it that servers essentially decided to settle for less while customers decided to bear the brunt of that settling while the employer steps back and plays both sides of the field
Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I am fascinated by the economics behind this tipping thing. How much does a mid priced garlic stake go for (with soda)in the USA and how much of it is added taxes?

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By JazGalaxy

@frankfartmouth said:

@JazGalaxy:

Waiting tables is a "real" job, a pretty goddamn hard, thankless, and stressful job as a matter of fact, one that almost every single person in the industry does out of necessity, not because they're lazy or trying to work some scam like you say. I've worked in the restaurant business my whole life, and I've never encountered someone who does it for the reasons you say. Servers don't typically make a lot of money, they make decent money for the hours they work which are almost invariably part time but extremely flexible. And that's the reason most people do it: because they are trying to get into something else but it's not a snap of a finger thing like you make it out and the schedule flexibility allows them to go to school, study, and still tend to family needs and the such. It's a means to an end. Most people hate doing it because you're treated like a dog by a lot of customers who think they're better than you because you're a server and they're not .

So I think I need to bring Mr. White into this and say, "You don't know what you're talking about." And neither do any of the people who are talking about server wages or the mandatory tip thing. I get paid 2.40 an hour by the restaurant. That's not below minimum wage, it's barely anything. In America, you are a major dick if you leave anything below 10% on competent service, a little cheap if you leave anything below 15, and generous if you go up to 20. On exceptional service, you shouldn't go below 17 or 18 but 20 is the standard. You don't tip only when the service is phenomenal.

I'm not trying to insult you, but when a job is not an agreed upon service for an agreed upon wage, it is NOT a real job. The fact that the job is hard IN NO WAY enters into the equation. IT is not the customer's fault that servers entered into a contract that was ridiculous from the outset. I get your saying that the job is tough. I get your saying that the hours are flexible. I get your saying that it allows you to work part time.

What does any of that have to do with the customer?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By GreggD

It seems like this thread appears every so often. Like Brigadoon.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By prestonhedges

Nah.

Next question.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Fallen189

I don't tip from any kind of philosophical reason like many people claim to (And I'd wager they have the same reason I do)

I just don't have enough disposeable income to supplement additional money on top of the money I already payed.

Yeah, I can afford to eat out, but it's a harsh economical climate, and I don't want to pay any more than I already have to. I wish everyone else would admit that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#59  Edited By Yummylee

Strange timing. Just very recently rewatched Reservoir Dogs. One of Buscemi's best roles.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By nohthink

No, he's just a motherfucker.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Sooty

Tipping is silly. If it's an exceptional meal I would tip if it went to the chef, I'm not going to tip the person that is just bringing the food out, a lot of the time they seem really fake and forced too which is quite irritating.

TheStimpinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheStimpinator

mmmmm... that is a tasty burger

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@N7
I'm not a fucking cunthole so I tip.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've hated the idea of tipping every time I've been to America.

I do it out of decency, but it's incredibly stupid. Customers shouldn't be the ones paying their salary.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By mikemcn

Tipping is the only reason waiters have any motivation to actually provide some service beyond what's required of them.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67  Edited By veektarius

Tip. The food you paid for costs what it costs because the operating costs of the restaurant have been decreased thanks to the waiters' lower wages. You are paying an artificially deflated price, which can only be sustained so long as we maintain some semblance of voluntary, merit-based compensation for the waiters. It's true that paying some tip is expected, but the amount in that tip can be highly variable. I had a waitress who charged me for four too many beers, I asked her to identify who had bought them, and she couldn't, but wouldn't negotiate the bill. That's a no tip situation. I get a server who only visits the table 3 times and takes so long that I actually think of getting up to hunt for someone, that's 10%. If they do an ordinary job, 15%, and so on up to like 25% for amazing service. That's 150% what they would have gotten if they had been lousy. Do you want to try and tell me that it would somehow be a fairer system if the waiter got paid the same amount in all of the above circumstances?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I used to think like Mr. Pink, but then I got a real job and started making money.

Also, one of the least talked about perks of being a good tipper - the staff knows you and will do their damnedest to treat you like a king. The diner I frequent for lunch (getting hungry now, thinking about it) has had my patronage for a couple of years, and I've never had a late meal, bad food, or anything to complain about. I'm not going to say it's Cheers over there, since I know the only reason I'm getting the great service I get is because I've got a reputation as a good tip. That said, I'm willing to pay for the convenience.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By JazGalaxy

@hbkdx12 said:

@Landon said:

@hbkdx12 said:

@frankfartmouth said:

@JazGalaxy:

I would never suggest to anyone, server or not, that serving isn't a real job so I'm not touching that but this two tiered level of tipping based on performance is, with all due respect to you and any other servers, just absolute BS to me. Tipping someone who ISN"T giving you phenomenal service suggests that, at best, they're doing the job that they were hired to do. They're doing exactly what their job entails; no more no less and their wage is meant to be compensation as such regardless of how shitty.

Yeah but, what is phenomenal service when you are waiting tables? Bringing your food to you as soon as it's done? Refilling your drink before it gets halfway? Being friendly with the customers? Isn't all of that expected anyway? So by your logic, when are you ever suppose to tip?

Anyone who has an opinion about not tipping really hasn't worked a job that relies on tips.I think Daniel Tosh said it best: Everyone should have to wait tables for at least one year of their lives, so they realize their ranch dressing isn't really that fucking important.

Of course any judgement of service is completely subjective and is going to be different for everyone but sure, lets assume that everyone expects that level of service that you just highlighted as a bare minimum. My point still stands in that the job your expected to do is the job you get paid to do. In this case that pay is extremely fuckin horrible. I'm not trying to suggest that the caveats, financial and otherwise, of being a server with the system that's in place isn't completely exploitative. But its pretty much the only industry where the customer is expected to offset that which to me is fucked up. Granted, most servers bust their fuckin ass and put up with a lot and even if the wage wasn't shitty it's still not a job that i'd want to do and for that i feel that servers should be paid accordingly...by their employers. Other than pointing the fingers at customers and the idea of tipping, what justifies employers giving servers such low pay? The only thing one could even suggest is that it helps keep the pricing of the food "low" but even then that still doesn't create a dynamic where it makes sense to leave the customer at fault When did we all buy into this is what im wondering. How is it that servers essentially decided to settle for less while customers decided to bear the brunt of that settling while the employer steps back and plays both sides of the field

I think we all bought itto it because it creeped up on everyone. I think that waiters and waitresses made a lot of money in tips over their normal wages and as a result, businesses felt they could pay less and people would still want the job because the potential was there to make a lot of money. Then, when people take the job and DON'T make a lot of money, they feel mistreated or misled. I call it a scam, and that's probably harsh, but I legitmately feel like it is. I worked outside in the 110 degree Houston weather for minimum wage and then was expected to give 1 or 2/5ths of that away to someone my own age who stood in the air conditioning and asked me to pick something off a list and wrote it down on a piece of paper. For less than 10 minutes of work, at a table of four, they made what I made in an hour. Fair or unfair, that has pemanently soured my opinion on tipping.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Veektarius said:

Tip. The food you paid for costs what it costs because the operating costs of the restaurant have been decreased thanks to the waiters' lower wages. You are paying an artificially deflated price, which can only be sustained so long as we maintain some semblance of voluntary, merit-based compensation for the waiters. It's true that paying some tip is expected, but the amount in that tip can be highly variable. I had a waitress who charged me for four too many beers, I asked her to identify who had bought them, and she couldn't, but wouldn't negotiate the bill. That's a no tip situation. I get a server who only visits the table 3 times and takes so long that I actually think of getting up to hunt for someone, that's 10%. If they do an ordinary job, 15%, and so on up to like 25% for amazing service. That's 150% what they would have gotten if they had been lousy. Do you want to try and tell me that it would somehow be a fairer system if the waiter got paid the same amount in all of the above circumstances?

Of course they're a more fair way to handle it. IT's called the way EVERY OTHER JOB WORKS. You do poorly, you get yelled at or fired. You do an adequate job, you get to keep your job. You go above and beyond and you get promoted or a bump in wages.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Zabant

in the UK the minimum wage is a law. If you do not pay your staff minimum wage you get shut the fuck DOWN. As a result, only extreamly swanky restaurants and hairdressers get tips here. Somtimes taxi drivers because you're to damn drunk for them to give you 50p change out of that 9.50 fare

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mirado

@RiotBananas: @hbkdx12: Having worked in a few restaurants in the past, I've met a lot of chefs/servers who have become real skilled at doing nasty passive aggressive things to your food in a way that you'd never detect by looking at it, or even tasting it. These people tend to have good memories of who complains, and who tips poorly.

I'm not saying they're right (especially with regards to complains, but chefs can be quite temperamental), and I'm not saying you'll get sick from it, but if you don't tip and get sick on the third visit to a place.....you never know. Even if you don't wind up feeling it, I'm not sure you'd like the idea of someone spitting on your food, or dropping it on the (shall we say less then sanitary) kitchen floor, or any number of things I've seen. One man had his steak tossed on the floor, actually stepped on by the cook, and put back on his plate. He ate it with no complaints.

Any place I'm a regular at, I tip well. Don't piss off the help if you want to feel safe eating there twice. I don't care if you tip or not, but it's something to keep in mind.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Mirado said:

@RiotBananas: @hbkdx12: Having worked in a few restaurants in the past, I've met a lot of chefs/servers who have become real skilled at doing nasty passive aggressive things to your food in a way that you'd never detect by looking at it, or even tasting it. These people tend to have good memories of who complains, and who tips poorly.

I'm not saying they're right (especially with regards to complains, but chefs can be quite temperamental), and I'm not saying you'll get sick from it, but if you don't tip and get sick on the third visit to a place.....you never know. Even if you don't wind up feeling it, I'm not sure you'd like the idea of someone spitting on your food, or dropping it on the (shall we say less then sanitary) kitchen floor, or any number of things I've seen. One man had his steak tossed on the floor, actually stepped on by the cook, and put back on his plate. He ate it with no complaints.

Any place I'm a regular at, I tip well. Don't piss off the help if you want to feel safe eating there twice. I don't care if you tip or not, but it's something to keep in mind.

and this is exactly part of the problem. Even in a world where tipping is expected, it's an incredibly ineligant process. Who is to say what is enough of a tip? it's a competely unspoken contract. I get my food spat on because I didn't leave a tip big enough for what the server felt they were entited to?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jimbo

Fuck all that.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By pweidman

@Mirado said:

Having worked in restaurants for almost 15 years, this stuff mentioned above is extremely rare. Any restaurant owner would fire said employee immediately, and blackball them from any restaurant work in town.

Tipping is voluntary, and 99% of restaurant workers aren't trippin', because they know it all works out overall. You're going to make between 12-15%(or more sometimes)in tips on your sales if you're skilled, efficient, and personable. People like good service and a friendly server. And get this, the biggest tippers are the ones who like to dish out the rude and watch you swallow it in stride.

And no one's getting rich, lol. Everyone in the restaurant business works their butts off and most of them would be gone in a minute if a decent, steady, M-F job was available. It helped me get through school so it served it's purpose, and some of my closest friends still, are ones I met in the restaurant grind.

If you get good service, tip what you can and don't overthink it cuz they're not.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Mirado

@JazGalaxy: Oh, I agree. It's a right mess. I've just seen what I've seen.

@RiotBananas: You can't know, sure. But it certainly wasn't "grubby places" (it occurred much more often at higher class, formal wear places, where everything was governed by reservations and the staff had PLENTY of time to stand around), and one would think you'd be less inclined to piss off generous people, lest they stop being generous. But that's not why I bother tipping; people tipped me well when they felt I deserved it, so I do the same to the next generation. Whether or not it's right (or I get anything out of it) doesn't really enter into it; do unto others, and all that shit. I just posted the above as a fair warning to what I've seen.

I'm curious; you worked in a restaurant, did you get tipped? If you did, aren't you happy you were? If you didn't, I guess that makes sense.

@pweidman: Most of the places I worked in which that happened, the owner was the perpetrator (and usually doubled as the chef). It was rare, sure, but I was surprised at how often it happened (not as rare as I would like). Just anecdotal, of course, but needless to say I didn't have any leftovers after my shift was done at those places. :D

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By kindgineer

There is a reason other countries scoff at our payment systems for our waiters and waitresses. Get a fucking a clue and make them change their policy. I refuse to pay someone (especially a teenager) 15% of a $120 meal just because they were adept enough to write my order down and bring it out.

This is not saying I don't tip, but I will not tip an entire 15%.

@JazGalaxy said:

@Fishow73 said:

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

It makes total sense that the government would tax tips the way they tax anyone else. Otherwise, waiters and waitresses are getting paid untold amounts of money under the table by failing to hold a real job.

I mean, it might sound like I'm being hard on waiters and waitresses, but I seriously have listenend to too many of my peers talk about how much money they make in one night off of drunk tips to feel too much sympathy for a profession that exists to exploit the social custom of generosity. If you don't like a job, don't do it, and capitalism says the wage rate will go up.

Thank you, sir.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By pweidman

@Mirado: So what you're saying there is that they didn't stay in business long. Or at least I hope so.

Well every place is different, but the half dozen places I worked at, that sort of thing just wasn't accepted by anyone. You'd be out on your ear in a flash. :)

spartan117tron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80  Edited By spartan117tron

@Slag: No its if you didn't make the same you would have for minimum wage that day the resturant is suppose to pay the difference, but not many servers know that and the resturants get away with no doing it. Also here our minimum wage is only 7.50 in South Carolina so its still not that much. Also most servers don't get anything back from taxes and they usually have to pay more back to the government. Thats why I hated working as a server I refuse to do it ever again. Its also based on the business of the resturant. Like in the summer here you can make a ton, but once October rolls around most places layoff people and close down for the winter. Its a terrible way to live, and most people will tip shit regardless of anything.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By veektarius

@JazGalaxy said:

@Veektarius said:

Of course they're a more fair way to handle it. IT's called the way EVERY OTHER JOB WORKS. You do poorly, you get yelled at or fired. You do an adequate job, you get to keep your job. You go above and beyond and you get promoted or a bump in wages.

That's because in other (non-service) jobs, your performance is evaluated by your boss. In service, your performance is evaluated by the customer. By the same logic, this is why salespeople are paid on a commission basis.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By Renahzor

@Fallen189: If you can't afford the tip you cannot afford to eat out.

Concerning the larger issue.... Server minimum wage is down around $2.25 per hour. If combined wages and tips do not equal federal (or local) minimum wage the employer MUST compensate them by federal labor law at minimum wage for hours worked. If they were compensated at or above minimum wage by the employer and we just removed the idea of tipping, your food would simply be 15-25% more costly, and more for bar drinks etc. It wouldn't change anything except that good servers would still make above and beyond the normal wage because people would still tip them for exceptional service.

Personally, It takes a lot for me to tip less than about 15% and ill tip 20% or more for really good service. Rude, unprofessional or incompetent waitstaff don't last long at most good restaurants anyway, because they'll make no money and move along. I don't get what this backlash about tipping is even all about, you're talking an extra 3-5$ per person on average at a mid-highend meal, much less for cheaper places, and if you're eating at a place with $50+ plates of food and complaining about this then you deserve a punch in the balls.

I say don't be a cheap asshole. It's not like these people are getting rich off someone's charity, they're working for the tips and making a decent wage if they're good.

edit for clarity

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By hbkdx12
@Veektarius said:

Keeping operating costs low is the closest thing to an acceptable answer and even then It's just complete and utter bullshit. Lets extrapolate on the worst case scenario here. If an employer paid all his servers a decent wage, his overall cost would rise and to compensate they pass that cost on to the customer in the menu. Now, as a customer I have to make a decision as if i want to be a patron of your restaurant based on it's pricing. If i don't i'll go somewhere else. If i do i'll stay. So if I and others like myself stay then problem solved. But lets say most people find the inflated price too unbearable and the patronage at the establishment over time starts to tank like a rock. Of course the owner now needs to cut costs. He'll probably fire a server to two since extra manpower isn't necessary although that's not the problem nor does it fix the real problem. Simultaneously or soon there after, the owner will probably start using cheaper or low-grade ingredients which again, the quality and preperation of my food will determine if i decide to continue to be a patron. They will probably start offering all types of price related specials and such to increase traffic. 

So, the excuse they're using to prevent such an atrocity would still work itself out one way or another thanks to the good old American law known as capitalism, that the employer went through the process of navigating as oppose to leaving it on the customer.

In terms of your examples, i point you to my first post

The fact that tipping is considered customary as oppose to extraordinary is complete bullshit and defeats the whole purpose what the fuck a tip is suppose to be. In every other customer related job, tips generally work as follows....

Do your job poorly, you get chastised/reprimanded or something of the sort. 
Do your job as expected and appreciation is (typically) granted by the customer. 
Do your job exceptionally well and go above and beyond, you get praise and may even get a tip, even in jobs and industries where tipping is unheard of. 

However, when it comes to serving

Do your job poorly you get no tip
Do your job as expected you get a moderate tip
Do your exceptionally well and you get a better tip

Wtf? Why does that make sense? Where's the justification in that?

If someone wrongfully charged me for my meal and refused to make it right, fuck yeah a tip is the last thing im thinking about but i'm also probably not paying for the fuckin meal period which would subsequently mean that meal is coming out of the servers pay.
If someone needs to be hunted down due to the service being so sporadic, i'm sure as hell not giving them a tip regardless of how fuckin low the tip would be.
If someone does amazing  then their most likely to get a tip.

As far as i'm concerned, there's nothing wrong or unfair with the above system.

It annoys me so much that customers are willing to by into this bullshit and not only that but then servers want to chastise us when we don't. It's so fucked up.

@Oldirtybearon said:

I used to think like Mr. Pink, but then I got a real job and started making money.

Also, one of the least talked about perks of being a good tipper - the staff knows you and will do their damnedest to treat you like a king. The diner I frequent for lunch (getting hungry now, thinking about it) has had my patronage for a couple of years, and I've never had a late meal, bad food, or anything to complain about. I'm not going to say it's Cheers over there, since I know the only reason I'm getting the great service I get is because I've got a reputation as a good tip. That said, I'm willing to pay for the convenience.

Of course they do because the situation is set up like a BF skinner box. They see your a great tipper so every time they see you they want to replicate those results so they treat you like a king. In practice it's fine and it works however, good service should be good service. It shouldn't be prefaced by the idea of squeezing more money out of someone. 

When i was in college i worked as an apartment shower (show-er, not shower like in a bathroom lol) and, at it's core, my job was to simply take people around the complex explaining all it's features and then taking them to the apartments that they were assigned to see. So basically, opening the fuckin door and answering any questions they had. But based on the rapport that i built with people, i would do things like explain what were some great places to eat and frequent in the area, why i thought one lay out would be better than another, different ways they could situate their furniture and just overall be personable in a way that wasn't required or probably even expected. Sometimes people would ask to see 1 or 2 apartments over and over again because they wanted to keep visually comparing them. I didn't have to do this. In fact i wasn't suppose to because it would be a huge time sink and there might be other clients who were waiting to go on shows but i'd do it anyway. As it turned out, some people felt the need to give me a tip and i always refused it unless they heavily insisted and the idea of me turning it down felt disrespectful. All the "extra" stuff i did, i did because i liked them. I wasn't driven by the idea that the better i do the more likely im gonna get a tip. The fact that they wanted to tip me meant more than the actual tip

@Mirado said:

This is the problem entirely! Me not tipping them shouldn't piss them off because I don't HAVE to tip and they shouldn't expect me to. As i stated to the other guy. Good service should be good service for the sake of being good service. As a customer i shouldn't have to be pigeonholed into feeling like i need to tip just to not get my food shat in time next i visit. 

Lets logically look at this from a server's POV. If you, as a server, provide what you feel is exemplary service and your customer doesn't tip you (not saying the customer is rude or belligerent; they're otherwise pleasant but just don't tip) ok fine. If they come in two days later you might feel a little shafted and, passive aggressively, feel like their not worth the exemplary service because they're not going to tip you anyway (another problem with the whole tipping system but i'll leave that for another post) so you bring your service down a notch which results in the same effect, them not tipping. Fine, you went from providing exemplary service to providing service that wasn't tip worthy anyway. But if your first act of passive aggression is to bust a nut in the couple's clam chowder simply because they didn't tip, you probably weren't giving as great service as you think you were from the start and/or there's a huge fuckin problem with the system
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#84  Edited By floodiastus

Mr Pink always makes a good argument!

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Veektarius said:

@JazGalaxy said:

@Veektarius said:

That's because in other (non-service) jobs, your performance is evaluated by your boss. In service, your performance is evaluated by the customer. By the same logic, this is why salespeople are paid on a commission basis.

I worked the produce department at the grocery store, as an umpire, referee, camp counselor and sports co-ordinatior for the YMCA/Community Association, at Walgreens as a cashier, and at Target. All my jobs were service jobs and the only thing I got by way of a tip was occasionally on the 110+ degree days, a mother might offer me a leftover poweraid. And I was FINE with that, because that's the job I agreed to take.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Mirado

@hbkdx12: You'd make a kick ass waiter/waitress. It's a shame more people don't think this way, but as it stands money is such an incentive that I can't see the mentality (let alone the system) change.

Here's another related question for everyone: do you feel that the "XX% gratuity is added to the bill for parties of 8 or more" (so an automatic 15% tip is charged, service quality notwithstanding) that usually resides on the bottom of each bill is warranted/deserved? If you say yes, do you tip on top of that?

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Renahzor

@hbkdx12: In your apartment demonstration/showing job you also weren't paid 1/4 of federal minimum wage against tips. It's simply the way our federal compensation and minimum wage acts are written, and they will likely never change, because if you think it should be changed to a system where servers are paid at normal standards, well then you hate hard working minorities and single mothers and want to drown kittens in a pillow sack.

If I get shit service (or food) I usually never return to the place. I've only refused to leave a tip maybe twice in my adult life, and both were extremely terrible occasions of incompetence coupled with rudeness. I've been out to dinner with older people who tip 3 bucks on a $150 check to a waitress who did her job exceedingly well on a very busy evening. I'm sorry but it's simply not acceptable. They did their job well and a tip is not only customary but she earned at least the typical 10-15% tip.

Honestly though, I don't care what other people tip, I tip based on the level of service I feel I received. Servers are paid based on the assumption they'll receive tips, and if you're a shitty tipper, well then you reap what you sow I suppose.

@Mirado: when there's 15% added in I very rarely tip beyond that, though I have once or twice. I don't mind if they do, but usually for good service id tip a little more than that anyway.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By veektarius

@JazGalaxy

I worked the produce department at the grocery store, as an umpire, referee, camp counselor and sports co-ordinatior for the YMCA/Community Association, at Walgreens as a cashier, and at Target. All my jobs were service jobs and the only thing I got by way of a tip was occasionally on the 110+ degree days, a mother might offer me a leftover poweraid. And I was FINE with that, because that's the job I agreed to take.

Umpire/Referee: There is a moral hazard involved in being paid by the people you're providing a service to. You must be evaluated by an impartial outsider (your boss)

Counselor/Co-ordinator: Serving kids? They aren't your customers, the parents are, and the parents are going to complain to your boss if there are complaints, not to you. Again, the boss performs the evaluation.

Cashier: This only counts as a service job as a matter of semantics. Your job can be (and often is) done by a computer just as easily and with as much customer satisfaction. You are very rarely going to be the portion of the service experience that a customer is going to complain about.

God, what a rant. Why is my text suddenly yellow? Anyway. Obviously if waiters were paid purely on an hourly basis there would be no savings passed on to the average tipping customer. The point is that the extra flexibility in payment is a sort of honor system where the customer can reward quality with something other than their repeat business. I would sooner the waiter be paid based on my satisfaction than just based on the number of hours they were on their feet. There's no scam here. No one is cheating you out of money you wouldn't pay otherwise. They're just giving you extra discretion as to how much money you deserve.

It's like if McDonalds sold you a cup of coke and said, "Hey - you've gotta pay .50 cents for this, plus whatever you think it's worth based on its quality. Just so you know, if everyone pays only .50, we're going out of business." Now, given the lack of social norms surrounding that sort of behavior, I'm sure they'd go out of business. But the point is that this would be a win for the consumer, not a loss.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By hbkdx12
@Renahzor said:

@hbkdx12: In your apartment demonstration/showing job you also weren't paid 1/4 of federal minimum wage against tips. It's simply the way our federal compensation and minimum wage acts are written, and they will likely never change, because if you think it should be changed to a system where servers are paid at normal standards, well then you hate hard working minorities and single mothers and want to drown kittens in a pillow sack.

If I get shit service (or food) I usually never return to the place. I've only refused to leave a tip maybe twice in my adult life, and both were extremely terrible occasions of incompetence coupled with rudeness. I've been out to dinner with older people who tip 3 bucks on a $150 check to a waitress who did her job exceedingly well on a very busy evening. I'm sorry but it's simply not acceptable. They did their job well and a tip is not only customary but she earned at least the typical 10-15% tip.

Honestly though, I don't care what other people tip, I tip based on the level of service I feel I received. Servers are paid based on the assumption they'll receive tips, and if you're a shitty tipper, well then you reap what you sow I suppose.

This right here blows my mind.

You're right my job didn't pay me a fraction of the minimum wage but guess what? If it did, i wouldn't have worked there. Simple as that. And if in some far off universe, i did decide to work for that wage, that's me making the declaration to say that I'm willing to do the xyz list of job duties and responsibilities for the wage that is being presented to me. So as someone who would be considering this job, it's up to me to determine if i'm willing to make that declaration or not. If you feel the value of the wage isn't worth whats being asked of you don't take the job. 

Shitty wage or not, it'd be wrong for me to take people around to these different apartments and feel like they're assholes if they don't give me a tip by time we get back to the leasing office. WTF. That's my job. That's what i agreed to do for the wage that i'm being paid

Most people would agree that 3 bucks on a $150 is a shitty tip as far as tips go. Nonetheless, a server should be looking at it as "I gained 3 extra bucks" instead of "i lost 17 bucks because they didn't give me 20% therefore they're assholes" because servers shouldn't feel entitled to automatically receiving a tip because again, it defeats the whole purpose of what a tip is suppose to be.
BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BrockNRolla

He's an asshole. He should tip because it's part of the a waitress' wage in America. That's to say nothing of what a shitty job it is.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#91  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Video_Game_King said:

What?

...you seriously haven't seen Reservoir Dogs?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#92  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Unknown_Pleasures:

Not at all. I don't exactly watch a ton of movies.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By hbkdx12
@Mirado said:

@hbkdx12: You'd make a kick ass waiter/waitress. It's a shame more people don't think this way, but as it stands money is such an incentive that I can't see the mentality (let alone the system) change.

Here's another related question for everyone: do you feel that the "XX% gratuity is added to the bill for parties of 8 or more" (so an automatic 15% tip is charged, service quality notwithstanding) that usually resides on the bottom of each bill is warranted/deserved? If you say yes, do you tip on top of that?

Of course the system isn't going to change. People blindly buy into this shit and servers are still gonna put people on a guilt trip when they don't. 

The automatic "20% gratuity for parties of 8 or more and/or dining after 8pm" is really some flagrant horseshit. And what's the justification? What's the rationale? That with more people and/or later in the evening the servers are far more busy and thus working harder to keep us satisfied? As a customer, WHY SHOULD I GIVE A FUCK?! Why is it my problem that their workload quadruples because 9 o'clock hits.  To me that sounds like the employer needs to hire more servers, no?

But again people blindly buy into and accept all this shit.
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Renahzor

@hbkdx12: I'll reiterate the important part you missed. The Federal minimum wage act allows for tipped employees to be compensated below minimum wage($2.25 or thereabouts currently) from the employer, as long as tips make up the difference. No other employees are paid this way, ever. The closest is commissioned sales people and even that isn't near the same. You can make up pretend jobs all you like but in very few industries is is customary to leave a person a tip, and those that are are compensated as tipped employees.

In industries where tips are not the norm, there is no comparable compensation. This is an *impossible* thing to change in the legislation, because it allows certain segments of the population who work in food service to make more money in less hours than would otherwise be possible. Changing that would meet such stiff resistance as to be pretty well impossible to pass.

Im sorry but its the way the system is setup. And yes, you should tip at least 10% for adequate service. Weather you do or not is up to you obviously, but it doesn't help your case to simply say "they should do their job and be happy about it"

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By hbkdx12

@Renahzor said:

@hbkdx12: I'll reiterate the important part you missed. The Federal minimum wage act allows for tipped employees to be compensated below minimum wage($2.25 or thereabouts currently) from the employer, as long as tips make up the difference. No other employees are paid this way, ever. The closest is commissioned sales people and even that isn't near the same. You can make up pretend jobs all you like but in very few industries is is customary to leave a person a tip, and those that are are compensated as tipped employees.

In industries where tips are not the norm, there is no comparable compensation. This is an *impossible* thing to change in the legislation, because it allows certain segments of the population who work in food service to make more money in less hours than would otherwise be possible. Changing that would meet such stiff resistance as to be pretty well impossible to pass.

Im sorry but its the way the system is setup. And yes, you should tip at least 10% for adequate service. Weather you do or not is up to you obviously, but it doesn't help your case to simply say "they should do their job and be happy about it"

Everything you said illustrates that there's something wrong with the system which is all i've been advocating from the start. The thing that ticks me off is that instead of being mad at the system people (both customers and servers alike) want to get pissy because there are some people who don't automatically give into it by tipping every time a server looks in their general direction. As a saying goes: Don't hate the player, hate the game. It's the system thats fucking them over and exploiting them. I shouldn't be labeled the bad guy if i don't leave a tip

and yes, whether you want to consider shitty wages and broken systems or not, you should do your job and be happy about it. I don't care what it is or what industry it is in. These people chose to be servers. these are the things you agreed to do and put up with in taking that job. Plain and simple. You lose the right to complain about the very things that you willingly agreed to do and put up with.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Fallen189

@Renahzor said:

@Fallen189: If you can't afford the tip you cannot afford to eat out.

Yeah, I can. If a meal costs £15, and I have £15, I can afford to eat out. I shouldn't feel obliged to give extra money out just because it's "expected"

I don't go into Tesco and give them 10% because I bought a great sandwich last week

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By napalm

This thread again?

Really?

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By chrissedoff

If you live in America and you don't tip, you're a piece of shit.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@RiotBananas said:

I don't tip. Waitresses and Waiters do that fake nice shit deliberately to try and get the tip and it really fucking annoys me when the bill says "Service not included" Yes it was, they're being paid for doing their job and their job description is to bring me food. I don't care if they're completely silent, infact I'd prefer them to just cut the fakeness and just bring me my food. I've gone to a restaurant to eat not have pretend niceties with the staff. If anything the tips should be going to the chef for good food.

So fuck tips and fuck people who tip. Come at me.

Says a guy who clearly has never had a real job in his life.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By hbkdx12
@Veektarius said:

@hbkdx12 God, what a rant. Why is my text suddenly yellow? Anyway. Obviously if waiters were paid purely on an hourly basis there would be no savings passed on to the average tipping customer. The point is that the extra flexibility in payment is a sort of honor system where the customer can reward quality with something other than their repeat business. I would sooner the waiter be paid based on my satisfaction than just based on the number of hours they were on their feet. There's no scam here. No one is cheating you out of money you wouldn't pay otherwise. They're just giving you extra discretion as to how much money you deserve.

It's like if McDonalds sold you a cup of coke and said, "Hey - you've gotta pay .50 cents for this, plus whatever you think it's worth based on its quality. Just so you know, if everyone pays only .50, we're going out of business." Now, given the lack of social norms surrounding that sort of behavior, I'm sure they'd go out of business. But the point is that this would be a win for the consumer, not a loss.

I'm not sure how the Mcdonalds example applies given that it suggest that, as a whole, mcdonalds is operating at a loss in charging $.50 for it's coffee. When i pay for my meal at a restaurant they're not operating at a loss. Nor is the server giving me a discount on my meal with the assumption i'll make up for it in tips