• 69 results
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By get2sammyb

Growing up through high-school, one thing always managed to piss me off.

"Hello. I'm a teenager. Popular culture told me drinking was 'cool' so let's all go and get drunk. We don't really enjoy alcohol, we don't really know why we're bothering, but we're doing it because we're cool."

Let's be clear here - no one adheres to drinking 'rules'. That's cool. I haven't a problem with 16 year olds drinking - going by my own experience I was mature enough to drink then. If I wanted to.

I simply can't stand this culture that we should drink because we have to. Myself and a majority of my peers are closing in on 21 now, we've been legal drinkers for 3 years, and still they (read: not I) "get pissed" because they have to. We as a society of young adults must spend our childhood getting pissed because that's what our friends do. A lovely vicious circle unnoticed by those within it.

I never did. Great, let's all be a statistic because it's what we're supposed to do. It's what my friend does, it's what I have to do. I have to get pissed for the "lolz". It's so funny. I'm so cool.

Let's go get pissed. There's nothing social about it. There's nothing cool about it. Still -- our peers are watching us. We gotta adhere to the "rules".

Let's go get pissed.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Growing up through high-school, one thing always managed to piss me off.

"Hello. I'm a teenager. Popular culture told me drinking was 'cool' so let's all go and get drunk. We don't really enjoy alcohol, we don't really know why we're bothering, but we're doing it because we're cool."

Let's be clear here - no one adheres to drinking 'rules'. That's cool. I haven't a problem with 16 year olds drinking - going by my own experience I was mature enough to drink then. If I wanted to.

I simply can't stand this culture that we should drink because we have to. Myself and a majority of my peers are closing in on 21 now, we've been legal drinkers for 3 years, and still they (read: not I) "get pissed" because they have to. We as a society of young adults must spend our childhood getting pissed because that's what our friends do. A lovely vicious circle unnoticed by those within it.

I never did. Great, let's all be a statistic because it's what we're supposed to do. It's what my friend does, it's what I have to do. I have to get pissed for the "lolz". It's so funny. I'm so cool.

Let's go get pissed. There's nothing social about it. There's nothing cool about it. Still -- our peers are watching us. We gotta adhere to the "rules".

Let's go get pissed.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

"Hello. I'm a university art student. I have no forseeable career in front of me. But it's cool, because I get to be a pretentious wanker quoting Oscar Wilde while drinking Snakebites and smoking weed. I'm an individual."

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'm not sure how to explain it, but I feel the same way. I'm fucking tired of people thinking just because you can drink/smoke, means you have to. Then there are the people who still can't drink/smoke but think they should. My friend expressed my feelings exactly when I asked him why people drank. (His Mom in particular likes to get drunk.) Basically what he said is this, "People who drink are those who can't express themselves without it."

That quote sounds a bit off from what he actually said, but you get the point. People like my Mom, who are "mature" drinkers, I don't mind. She usually has a glass of wine during dinner and that's about it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Oscar Wilde is only fun to quote if you're on Uncyclopedia.

On the original topic though, nothing made me realize how much I hate my town's youth culture more than in freshmen year when this one kid who I had a very small bit of respect for came up to me in programming class and said "I had a hilarious time drunk dialing random girls and telling them I wanted their black cherries, but one of them slapped me in homeroom."

WHY? Even when they play videogames, they need to toke up to get entertainment value out of Geometry Wars. I just... jesus fucking balls.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I drink a lot, I've been drinking since I was a child (obviously when I was young it was only small amounts) and I too hate this "Let's drink because it's cool" mentality with the young people. It's stupid. When I was about 14 or 15 my friends started drinking socially, so naturally I went along. After the first few weeks, I stopped going, They were drinking for the wrong reasons and it would always end up with fights, arguments or the police stopping us. It just wasn't fun. We might have half an hour of fun, but then it would descend into chaos. I decided I only wanted to drink with my family until I was 18 and could go to the pub.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By crunchUK

People get drunk because being drunk is somewhat euphoric (until you throw up). No? well that's my reason. That and i always have lots of fun when i do. Besides drinking is actually cheaper than going to the cinema or whatever, sadly.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By turbomonkey138

But drinking is what all the "cool" kids do man

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
Meltbrain said:
"What's brought this rant on? "
Talking to a 17 year old girl (hoi! nothing pervey) who's trying to make me think she's cool by telling she couldn't find her doors key hole last night.

Brought back old memories. My best friends social status was defined by the fact that he drunk a lot. Now I still love that guy, but I hate how people copy catted him because they wanted in on the status.

Our high school parties were so dumb because people are idiots. Because that's how they think they're supposed to be.

The boundaries removed through university lifestyle have only succeeded in making said people more immature.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By artofwar420

Kids shouldn't drink cause their brains get f'ed up, it's still developing. 17 year olds are still growing. So no drinky.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hitchenson

Eh, I'm 17 and personally can't stand the taste of most 'booze', bar spirits - No, I'm not a fag.

But, I don't see what's wrong with occasionly smoking weed, like aslong as you're not a 'pot head' I don't see the big deal.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
Meltbrain said:
"get2sammyb said:
"Meltbrain said:
"What's brought this rant on? "
Talking to a 17 year old girl (hoi! nothing pervey) who's trying to make me think she's cool by telling she couldn't find her doors key hole last night.Brought back old memories. My best friends social status was defined by the fact that he drunk a lot. Now I still love that guy, but I hate how people copy catted him because they wanted in on the status.Our high school parties were so dumb because people are idiots. Because that's how they think they're supposed to be.The boundaries removed through university lifestyle have only succeeded in making said people more immature."
Ahhh yeah, those kind of people are silly for sure. Talking about how wasted you were like it was some kind of new landmark in your coolness is pretty weak. "I was so drunk last night I couldn't even see or walk and I had to sleep on a puddle of my own vomit and tears, maaaaan.""
But, watch your peers while these stories are being discussed. If you're still of that age anyway.

I don't believe it wears off though.

Facebook and Twitter status' can be pretty good - "can't wait until Friday, gonna be wasted". Good?

I think I'm going to take up filling pint glasses with pound coins, "downing them" and subsequently spitting them down the drain.

I also love how said "drinkers" like to comment on things like fast-food and people who don't go to the gym - but still sink ten pints on a night out.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK
artofwar420 said:
"Kids shouldn't drink cause their brains get f'ed up, it's still developing. 17 year olds are still growing. So no drinky."
SCREW YOU
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By penguindust
get2sammyb said:
""Hello. I'm a university art student. I have no forseeable career in front of me. But it's cool, because I get to be a pretentious wanker quoting Oscar Wilde while drinking Snakebites and smoking weed. I'm an individual.""
I lol'd at this because I used to be that guy, sort of.  I mean replace "Oscar Wilde" with "Charles Burkowski", Snakebites with Kentucky bourbon and weed with Lucky Strike cigarettes, and you've got my early college lifestyle to a tee.  Oh, and you forgot to add "dresses entirely in black all the time."

Anyway, after a lifetime of drink, I can tell you that getting drunk leads to nothing but regrets and a lot less money in your wallet than the night before.  It's okay to enjoy a beer or whatever from time to time (if you can), but getting drunk all the time or even often enough that it becomes a habit is a dangerous sign. 
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Binman88

I feel the same way. I have no problem with people drinking and getting drunk - I do it often when out with friends or work colleagues. What I don't like are people who go out with the sole intention of getting drunk, like that's the highlight of their night, and then spend that night talking about other times they got drunk. It's downright boring listening to people go on about how drunk they were over the weekend, and it's certainly not as impressive as they seem to believe.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
Hitchenson said:
"Eh, I'm 17 and personally can't stand the taste of most 'booze' bar spirits - No, I'm not a fag.
But, I don't see what's wrong with occasionly smoking weed, like aslong as you're not a 'pot head' I don't see the big deal.
"
Hey now- no need to go around getting wasted, but there is no reason not to develop a deep appreciation for hops.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Ben_H

I agree with you.  I have a friend who used to get drunk every weekend.  I finally convinced them to stop and they've been way happier since.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hitchenson
Jayge said:
 hops."
lolwut?
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By maxszy

Yeah, you have a point there. Its all in society and for some reason, these things that people "just do" because others are doing it and they want to feel cool. Thus they do it to fit in and it becomes very contagious.

I drink, but I drink to enjoy the wonderful taste of good quality beer. I love the taste of good beer. Not to get drunk though. So its all in the mentality of why you are doing I believe.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Hitchenson said:
"Jayge said:
 hops."
lolwut?"
Hops
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pibo47

Sammy. I am in complete agreement with what you have said here. It drives me nuts when people are all like "WOOOO i drunk WOOOOO, PAAAAARRRRRTYYYYYY!!!"
I love parties, but the "lets get shitfaced" type stuff....not much fun...and dumb.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead
get2sammyb said:
""Hello. I'm a university art student. I have no forseeable career in front of me. But it's cool, because I get to be a pretentious wanker quoting Oscar Wilde while drinking Snakebites and smoking weed. I'm an individual.""
You've genuinely just summed up my entire University life in that little soundbite. Personally, I don't drink and the reason why is I don't like how it tastes but also the whole drinking culture that goes with it. A lot of the most boring people i've met have also been the hardest drinkers and it just seems that for most, it's a personality replacement and also what they need to even speak to a girl.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Tireyo

I don't drink, and I shouldn't be forced to drink either.  I choose not to drink, and alot of people I know don't want to accept that.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond

I think a lot of people who drink a lot or do other drugs because it's their real only happiness in life.  That's what I've noticed from every single person I knew that did it.

I don't like it when my neighbors get all drunk and make tons of noise in the middle of the night, it's annoying.  I've been around friends when they're drunk or stoned, didn't bother me (and when they invited girls...).

I just can't imagine doing that sort of stuff myself.  Lots of alcoholics in my family, I see how bad it fucks you up.  My neighbors too.  My friends have recovered from their worse drug abuse though, but as long as you're still using it's a problem for you.  I've been depressed in the past, but I went on real meds, so I was always afraid of mixing my meds with alcohol or other drugs.  I've been off all meds for a few years now, but I still have no urge to do drugs legal or not.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm 23 and have never drank alcohol. At this point, I've decided that I never will. Peer pressure has never really been a factor to me. I do think it is lame how most people my age seem to think that the only way anyone can ever have a good time is if they're drinking. That's completely retarded.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RetroIce4

I don't drink but I know some people that do it just because its cool.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Systech
Binman88 said:
"I feel the same way. I have no problem with people drinking and getting drunk  "
But... do you have a problem with people smoking weed and getting high?
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 17 and haven't had a drink yet in my life. That being said, 95% of my friends all drink, and I have no problem with it. The whole "Get hammered!" philosophy used to piss me off, but whatever, I'm not the one without a liver. I don't have a problem with smoking weed either.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Origina1Penguin
TheGreatGuero said:
"I do think it is lame how most people my age seem to think that the only way anyone can ever have a good time is if they're drinking. That's completely retarded. "
QFT
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kmdrkul

I first drank due to my own pure curiosity... believe it or not.  My parents had a bottle of Bailey's and I always saw them mix it with their coffee so I decided to try it when day when they weren't paying attention.  Then later I was curious as to what a white russian tasted like so I made one of those, but I was dumb and my proportions were way off.  So it tasted awful.  I never gave in to doing the whole "lets go get smashed at Jack's place" thing thankfully due to the fact that me nor any of my friends were like that all... now that I'm in college I still don't find myself doing anything like that despite my two roommates both constantly keeping booze in the fridge and whatnot. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By Geno

I know what you're talking about, I've never liked alcohol and I don't imagine I ever will. It's just bitter and numbing, what's the point of that? Give me a good ol' energy drink or orange soda anyday.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nexas

I don't drink because it taste  awful and I despise the culture surrounding  alcohol.  That said I do enjoy the occasional margarita, but generally limit myself to one or two.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Plasma
Nexas said:
"I don't drink because it taste  awful and I despise the culture surrounding  alcohol.  That said I do enjoy the occasional margarita, but generally limit myself to one or two."

hahaha at your respose + your avatar!
"I'm a lady! I dont like the taste of a bitter!!"

Just to add, the culture of drinking is good, get closer to your friends, and just have a fucking good time
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jayge_

Some of you people who have never actually had a drink should at least try some, lord.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I'm sorry, but all I can think of in this topic is the Souljah Boy Braid review where he says, "Yo, if you like the drink and get drunk, or smoke and get high, they made this game for you!"

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ahriman22

I don't get it either. I'm 16, but the fact that most teenagers get drunk/high because they think it's cool is an incredibly stupid idea. Now, I've gotten high and drunk or both at the same time a few times, but not because it was "cool", just because I wanted to. My mom doesn't have any problem with it really and my friends are pretty responsible. More than once I punched guys because they came up to me and said something like "Yo man, I got so drunk (Or high) that...".

Ugh... Only times I got drunk every week was with my last girlfriend... Guess that tells me something about going out with 20 year olds.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By JazzyJeff

I'm 24, and I don't think there's anything wrong with having a couple drinks when you go out. Getting drunk and acting stupid is pretty unnecessary, though.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PureRok

I'm drunk right now and read a bit of your post. I dont' know what else... or if there's a point. My fingers feel floaty.

How are you today? This sourdough is dry.

I'm doing fine.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Gunner
Jayge said:
"Some of you people who have never actually had a drink should at least try some, lord."
exactly, its probably the best thing you can do while hanging out with a bunch of people you dont really know. It breaks the ice a little bit and causes you to become more social.

i never drank cause i thought it was the cool or popular thing to do, I did it because i went to a bad party.

It then turned into a fucking awesome party.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By azteris
TheGreatGuero said:
"I'm 23 and have never drank alcohol. At this point, I've decided that I never will. Peer pressure has never really been a factor to me. I do think it is lame how most people my age seem to think that the only way anyone can ever have a good time is if they're drinking. That's completely retarded. "
I think clarifying your age is rather pretentious.

To answer the OP though, I don't think it's really necessary to go out and get incredibly drunk or to make that the highlight of your night. That being said, totally abstaining from any type of liquor isn't necessary, either.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By crunchUK
Jayge said:
"Some of you people who have never actually had a drink should at least try some, lord."
i'm not surer anybody really likes alcohol at the first taste. i know i didn't. Then over the next few days you kind of start thinking to yourself that it really wasn't that horrible
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By toowalrus
crunchUK said:
"i'm not surer anybody really likes alcohol at the first taste. i know i didn't. Then over the next few days you kind of start thinking to yourself that it really wasn't that horrible"
I did. But then again my first 'taste' was Mikes Hard Lemonade and Peppermint Schnapps when I was 14...
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I drink because I enjoy the taste of beer, and because getting drunk makes me more relaxed. Believe it or not, most people don't actually drink because they are bowing down to peer pressure.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bombHills
Vinchenzo said:
 "People who drink are those who can't express themselves without it."
yup.. I know people just like that.
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Goly

lets X up our fists!

BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BODDAH

I'm 19 and I don't drink. I do, however, smoke pot -  you do it with a couple friends and just chill. Much different experience from drinking.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48  Edited By JonathanMoore

Never drunk. In England its legal to drink at 18, I am now 18 and to be honest, I'm more of a Kool-Aid person.

; )

-- God Bless.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Baillie
bombHills said:
"Vinchenzo said:
 "People who drink are those who can't express themselves without it."
yup.. I know people just like that."

Nice little fact you have there.

I drink almost every weekend. The weekend just passed I was out at a club and met some guys and girls, we ended up going back to one of their houses, I got to know them all very well, we played football at 6am, and I'll be seeing them this weekend coming.

This wouldn't have happened without alcohol, I'd have just watched Pacquiao destroy Hatton and went home to bed. I preferred my night with alcohol.
Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Skillface

I'm 16. Most people my age drink, believe it or not. I see those stupid statuses on facebook, "Getting wasted this weekend!". I've even talked to a girl who told me all she wanted to do was to get really really drunk cause she was having a bad day. WHAT the hell is going on!?

Someone offered me a drink once, and when I replied with "I don't drink", they looked at me as if I was the biggest loser they've ever met in their life!

If I'm cool with my friends drinking, why can't they be cool with me NOT drinking?!