Making a Website? Worth It?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

So I've been watching some CO-OP lately. They keep advertising a website called SquareSpace. Well it's suppose to make creating a website easy and intuitive, while providing you the tools necessary to make it the way you want. The price starts at $8/month, but I was looking at the $14/month price. Maybe I should start with the cheaper plan. Anyway is it worth making your own website? I'd like the independence to run something how I want. As much as I like GiantBomb, it's always nice to have your own creation.

Exactly how do you get people to check out your site? That's the big question for me.

Either way, if I do follow-through then I am trying to split the cost with my friend. Well, still trying to talk him into the website first. I booted up the SquareSpace trial and this is what I came up with after 5 minutes. A very nice title and sub-title! Hold the applause. I'd appreciate some quick feedback and/or tips for making a website. Many thanks.

P.S. Yes I realize there are free alternatives, like "blogger", but I like things a bit more polished. To be clear, the website is going to be about (mainly) video games, but also some side-stuff from our personal lifes. Nothing too deep.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

What is going to separate your website from the countless others out there? Sell me on it...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Just having an ugly site where you blog will get zero hits. Your site needs to look slick and have a constant stream of high quality content, preferably videos.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo
LiquidPrince said:
"Just having an ugly site where you blog will get zero hits. Your site needs to look slick and have a constant stream of high quality content, preferably videos."
Of course. Not sure about the videos just yet, but I hope to make it look like the CO-OP website. It's made using SquareSpace.

Fr0Br0 said:
"What is going to separate your website from the countless others out there? Sell me on it..."
We are not going to just be about on video games, but a wide array of entertainment. With SquareSpace you can also allow members to sign up. My friend and I are not specific on the details of the website. Obviously it has to have some sort of focus, especially if two people plan on running the content. I know it sounds like my first sentence contradicts what I just said, but don't think about it. You stop now.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By lordofultima

For me I have a reason to have a website, I did use Squarespace initially but decided I didn't want to pay a monthly fee for all that junk, now I just use wordpress. But yeah, it's just a personal site for my video and audio projects, and it's good to have everything in one place for a portfolio-esq thing.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheKidNixon

SqaureSpace is a great tool if you know the basic 101 on making a swank looking website; just make sure you know what you're doing.

And as Fr0Br0 said, you need to figure out what your hook is. Saying "we're just two guys who happens to be different races talking about cool stuff" will only get you so far. Having just a general blog about whatever won't fly anymore; you have to be niche, not general. Find something you're really passionate about and write the ever-loving hell out of it. And of course, keep writing and writing and writing, to better your actual content. As cliche as it is, the best thing that will get your eyeballs is high-level content, because it gets the best PR you can get growing: word of mouth.

Also, make sure you talk about tits and whiskey. Everyone loves those.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By HydraHam
Vinchenzo said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Just having an ugly site where you blog will get zero hits. Your site needs to look slick and have a constant stream of high quality content, preferably videos."
Of course. Not sure about the videos just yet, but I hope to make it look like the CO-OP website. It's made using SquareSpace.

Fr0Br0 said:
"What is going to separate your website from the countless others out there? Sell me on it..."
We are not going to just be about on video games, but a wide array of entertainment. With SquareSpace you can also allow members to sign up. My friend and I are not specific on the details of the website. Obviously it has to have some sort of focus, especially if two people plan on running the content. I know it sounds like my first sentence contradicts what I just said, but don't think about it. You stop now.
"
Co-op also consist of well known game journalist, no offense but no one knows who you are.. again what makes you different from all these sites, why should we visit your site instead of a kotaku, 1up, giantbomb etc.? is your site just going to be repost news articles from other sites? how much original content are you going to offer? will you be offering exclusive content?
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

Well Styl3s I just used CO-OP as an example of how good a website can look using SquareSpace. I realize who they are, what they are, and that they have a following. Maybe I worded it improperly. Anyway yea we definitely need a defining factor that makes our website better. Thanks for the input guys, maybe we should start out small and if we get a following... ramp up from there. I might following ultima and make a wordpress.

Ultima what host do you use? You're paying money for that domain right?
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I use wordpress for my site and then pay for a domain through wordpress. Its simple without a lot of features but it gets the job done.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Hamst3r

I highly suggest checking out the TextPattern content management system. Just get some cheap hosting (mine is around $7 a month), install TextPattern, find a template you like, install a few plugins you want (like a video gallery or forum) and you're done.

I have two websites. My music site and my blog. Both use textpattern and so far it's been super-awesome.  Squarespace is undoubtedly more user-friendly, but I don't think it's worth the extra cash every month.

shaun832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By shaun832

I've been slowly building a website called Console Abuse but I really can't find a way for me to add better content. I made the layout myself with Notepad and it's hosted on a site called 110mb.com

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By lordofultima

I use dreamhost, which I got on a deal for 9.95 for a year of domain registration and unlimited storage/bandwidth. I think it's normally $120 a year, and there are obviously restrictions to their "unlimited plan" but it gets the job done. Wordpress is installed and all that junk automatically, so I'm good.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Tireyo

I don't know what you should do.  You'll be in competition with some major sites.  If you can come up with a specific thing that the other sites does not have, you might be able to benefit from your creation.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There are far cheaper ways to make sites of that quality.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

I was going to maybe try blogger today. Is there anyway to allow two editors to be posting on the same blog? I noticed I could do that on Squarespace. Otherwise I'll need a new alternative.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By samcotts

Anyone who is thinking of creating a free website, it's worth checking out Yola.com. Brilliant simple to use website creator.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By JonathanMoore

JonathanMoore08.webs.com

I used Freewebs.com, or Webs.com as its known by now.

-- God Bless.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShiroMe

If you want real control over the site then you need to learn how to program.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By carlthenimrod

It depends how serious you are but you could take the time to learn Adobe Dreamweaver. Maybe buy some books or take some classes.

It's a time investment but if you got the time then you might as well go all the way with it.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By End_Boss

Although managing your own website is a great creative outlet, it can also be extremely taxing (this from a person who has created many a website himself). Keep in mind that it won't always be the (admittedly awesome) initial creative burst, but also all of the tedious, monotonous maintenance that comes with a site.

I won't completely discourage you from doing it, and I think I would definitely check it out if you made it, but consider having some of your close friends help you manage it, to take some of the burden off of you.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By maxszy

It all depends on what you actually want to do with it. Is it just going to be a personal space to put some random articles and such? If so I would say just go with wordpress instead of spending money.

SquareSpace is good though, but as others have said, you kind of need to know your way around designing a site to really take advantage of it. But if you are trying to do some sort of project for your site, with some other people, then buying some space may be good.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By get2sammyb

I feel like I am qualified to answer this - given I've watch PushSquare.com grow from nothing when it launched at the end of January to now reaching over 1000 unique hits on a daily basis (and over 20 PS3/PSP review titles). PushSquare isn't my first site mind, I was behind Cubers.co.uk - a GameCube fansite - in 2003 and GamesMainFrame.com - a multiplat site - in 2005. Both were flawed in their own ways but built up an audience. PushSquare has grown at a rate quicker than anything I've ever done before mind.

First - technical stuff: I'm hosted by Dreamhost. They offer unlimited bandwidth and file space -- of course it's not REALLY unlimited; more they tell you it's unlimited but really, they want you to be careful. I.e. don't upload a 1GB video file and then link the video on every forum you're registered to - you're gonna crash. The only real principle I keep on my site to try to keep bandwidth charges kicking in are keeping images under 20kb and code tidy. Also, cutting out the number of PHP calls can come in handy. Alas - given the traffic PushSquare gets, I doubt we are really any hassle for Dreamhost; the above things also help to keep page load times relatively low too.

You'll also need a CMS (content management system) to run things. In my case - I run a blog, Wordpress is the best. The best thing about Wordpress is: it's always being updated because SO many people use it; and secondly: there are always awesome plugins coming out. Some help with stuff behind the scenes, other things make posting easier (a.k.a. I have plugin on PushSquare that makes posting Youtube videos SUPER fast). So yeah, blog site - Wordpress is best. Depends on the site though, there are tons of others.

Finally -- your site needs a topic. Now I talk from PushSquares point of view, which is a games site obviously, there are 5 key things I think that you need to make it popular:

• Find a voice.
  • Mix original with unoriginal.
  • Make it easy to subscribe.
  • Be consistent.
  • Use social networking sites.

These things work hand in hand in my opinion. Finding a voice is the hardest thing. It's something I think you may always aim for but never achieve. Essentially you need a reason to give people for why they are reading you instead of Kotaku/Destructoid/Joystiq (whatever your topic may be, you can bet there is a bigger site out there already). Your voice is what may not neccessarily set you apart, but it's why people might want to read your opinion. In PushSquares case -- I'm influenced by on old British music magazine called Smash Hits and fairy-tales. So in that - I try to let a "matter-of-fact" tone come across with everything I write. It doesn't always come across. You work at it. But I like to think my subscriber numbers suggest some people genuinely do enjoy the way I write. Find inspiration from outside your topic.

Original content is paramount. You have to have original content. Be they opinion, review, whatever, you can't just regurgitate the news. However, regurgitating press releases and stories from Kotaku does make your site busier. Giving a decent mix between reposted content and original content will give your site a stream of content, and hopefully traffic.

Subscriptions are KEY, no VITAL for a news site. You may have a good day where you push 6000 uniques -- this happened to PushSquare in March. But what's the point in that increase if no one subscribes. People are going to visit, read what you have to say and leave. You want them to subscribe. Make it easy, make it obvious. Get them to subscribe and they'll return. Don't get them to subscribe and they'll never return.

Being consistent is key - there's no point in posting 30 articles one day if you're going to post 2 the next day. You can't help slow news days, but you can try to make sure you even out your original content; having a rough "8 post a day" target or something like that allows your visit to always feel like the site is updating.

Finally, sites like N4G.com/Digg/Reddit are all key in getting people in. Once they're in and on your site, it's where the other 4 above points come into play. Hopefully you can see this is a circle -- people like your articles, like the site, subscribe, keep coming back... All the time hopefully with new people coming in; where you're building up subscribers and traffic.

It can take ages before your hits starting increasing, but it's so rewarding when they do. I'm not going to lie, for weeks you will write to an audience of nobody. But slowly, stick at it and things will grow.

I should be selling this information by the way. Instead -- why don't you subscribe to PushSquare. ;)

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Actually forgot to talk about webdesign and stuff. I find the best practice is to find a free theme, install it, RIP IT apart and turn it into what you want.

EDIT2: Just to compound the "is it worth it thing" -- I just got an invite from Naughty Dog asking me to their E3 booth. Sadly I'm in England and E3 is in LA. But yes, I'm smug enough about the invite. Maybe I'll be able to go one day. Who knows. I actually hope that running this thing will pave my way into a job somewhere - but if nothing else I do it because I enjoy it.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By subject2change

We have a SquareSpace site at work, really easy to use site and I set it up fairly quickly. We've been using SquareSpace since July 08 and no problems; we use it just for filestorage and giving our clients access to it ours run at $49 a month now but we've had to increase storage and audiences numerous times.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Godwind
Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Yit

YOUR WEBSITE CAN LOOK LIKE A DISCO!

Who cares? I'd visit it if it looked like a disco.

I say go for it!

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Player1

I'd suggest using wordpress.org. Its free, and all you need to do is pay for a web server. (7-8 bucks a year).

There are thousands of free themes to use, and its as easy to add stuff as it is blogger, or that site you have. 

check out gameportrait.com for an example, my game site. 

But, I wouldn't recommend you start one. While its fun for about a month, you soon realize that one, nobody gives a shit about your site, two nobody will ever give a shit, three, your fan base isn't even growing, 4, it sucks dick to HAVE to post stuff. (its fun just casually posting news on a blog, but with your own site, you have to update everyday. Or it fails. 5. All you are really doing is repeating the news of other sites. 6. Everyone has seen the news by the time it hits your site, 7. It takes up so much time. 8. People will see your stuff more on this blog, then they will on your site.

As you can tell, making a website isn't all its cracked up to be. 
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Godwind
Player1 said:
"I'd suggest using wordpress.org. Its free, and all you need to do is pay for a web server. (7-8 bucks a year).

There are thousands of free themes to use, and its as easy to add stuff as it is blogger, or that site you have. 

check out gameportrait.com for an example, my game site. 

But, I wouldn't recommend you start one. While its fun for about a month, you soon realize that one, nobody gives a shit about your site, two nobody will ever give a shit, three, your fan base isn't even growing, 4, it sucks dick to HAVE to post stuff. (its fun just casually posting news on a blog, but with your own site, you have to update everyday. Or it fails. 5. All you are really doing is repeating the news of other sites. 6. Everyone has seen the news by the time it hits your site, 7. It takes up so much time. 8. People will see your stuff more on this blog, then they will on your site.

As you can tell, making a website isn't all its cracked up to be. 
"
Perhaps he can take your failure and turn it into his success.  He already knows what will make it fail.

Also, take a check on what Maddox thinks of Blogs.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish