Half_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Half_Life

I was elected valedictorian. SWEET.

Basically, I was wondering what you guys thought about your valedictorian (if you have had one yet) and what you like to see in such a speech.

Thanks

Half_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Half_Life

I was elected valedictorian. SWEET.

Basically, I was wondering what you guys thought about your valedictorian (if you have had one yet) and what you like to see in such a speech.

Thanks

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I knew who the valedictorian in my High School was, but I didn't personally know her. Well, OK, I knew her name and she knew mine - I think - but I didn't hang around her or her friends much.

I did know the salutatorian, he was in several of my classes. He was an outgoing partying jock-ish fellow on the football team. I would say "how's that for breaking stereotypes", but he was also Asian.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

Don't do a bunch of cliched things with your speech. I know you have to say something about moving on in life and all that but don't do something everyone else does, if you can help it. Lots of humor also helps make it stand out.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By matthias2437

I actually skipped my graduation ceremony because I went on an impromptu road trip. But I thought it was cool for him, I was actually close but whatever no hard feelings.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aegon

Make the speech short. Who wants to see a dude deemed better than them speak for a long ass time about some bull crap just because he/she has to. Just do them a favour and let them get out of there earlier.

That's just my opinion, if you sincerely have a lot of things to say, well then it's you choice in any case.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By gamefreak9

Yeah short speech, don't be full of yourself and don't make lame jokes. Try not to be like "we've made tremendous progress and advanced as human beings, we will take our experiences forward into the world etc" that stuff makes people sick and just makes you look stupid, unless you can find some way to make it more lateral.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Phatmac

Be straight with people and keep it short. No one likes a long speech that is overly complicated for an event that doesn't deserve it. Don't gloat too much or else people will remember you as some annoying nerd. Try to be down to earth so people can relate to you.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

I can't remember who the valedictorian was when i graduated.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThunderSlash

Try to insert as many subtle Giant Bomb references as you can.

"With this knowledge... we will move on and you can see their panties."

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By NTM

Just make something up, it doesn't really matter much. There are probably very little people who will remember it or who'll care (not to sound mean or anything, but it's true). I was with one from another school though. Graduated in 08, and sadly, during the speech, people were laughing, but not because of her (it's always a female for some reason), the poor girl thought it was her though. Anyways, make something up and that's all. In the end, it's not really all that important a speech, again, not to sound negative, just speaking the truth. Anyways, good luck. Also, congratulations, you must have worked hard.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

I shall assume this is an American thing? But GL anyway.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mikemcn

Dont insult your institution, keep it brief, and talk about something your whole audience can relate to.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WMWA

I have nothing to contribute you as far as advice goes, high school valedictorian speeches aren't very memorable, so don't stress to much. I'm sure you'll do fine. I just wanted to congratulate you on being your school's! That's freaking awesome, Duder. 10 years from now no one will remember your speech but they will remember you were valedictorian. Hopefully that puts it into perspective for you. So the important part is already in the bag.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Dany

Elected?

Just speak from your heart and speak for the class not yourself. Don't be the self indulgant asshole who only talks about yourself but for everyone and yeah. Speach isn't important as long as it isn't about you.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Barrabas

I didn't know Valedictorian was elected. I thought it was based on grades. At least that seemed to be the case for my high school. Anyway good luck with that. I would have hated having to get up there and give a speech.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

do something different that they will remember the graduation by. idk, blow up the stage (im just kidding, DONT do that). but yah, do something memorable ans do it from your heart

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By fisher81

My ex-girlfriend wasn't valedictorian but she was like the second place thing (I know, what a loser). But she had a cast on her leg at the time from a fractured shin and in her closing statement she told everyone to "break a leg."

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikeGosot
@Half_Life: When i was going to High School, i had to make a speech for the class. So i was brief, and talked about deciding your future, and going after your dreams. It sounds kinda cliche, but i threw a few jokes in there and everything was fine. Speak from your heart, to your class.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beforet

Our valedictorian was elected. Well, students voted, but it was more of a suggestion to the administration. They ultimately made the decision.

Anyway, my advice? Keep the parents watching in mind. The entire graduation event is for their benefit, not yours. You are tertiary to the experience. So for however much time you spend patting yourself and your class on the back, pat on theirs for twice as long. Be smart, which you obviously can be, don't be an asshole, and be concise.

Otherwise, don't sweat it!

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Talk about how hopeless the future looks and shoutout the parents who separate should be ashamed of themselves.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Turambar

My school's Valedictorian was my debate partner.  She was also on that reality show starring all these students.  Her name was Milana Zaurova.  She could be a bitch at times.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By DarthOrange

I remember him screaming and begging to at least keep one of his knee caps, the rest is a blur......

In all seriousness though just don't be an asshole. Where you going to school?

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hyuzen

@Half_Life: I was valedictorian of my grade 12 class from a couple years ago, it was quite an honor since I got elected as well. Congrats duder.

The timing of my speech was pretty great, it was about a month after Lost had ended and I wrote much of my speech the night after the series finale and make connections to lost. I tried to be encouraging to my class for the future, and also made sure to acknowledge the friends, family and teachers in the audience and thanked them a lot.

I attended a Christian high school but i'm not sure how applicable the stuff i said relating to that would be to you or your speech

It also was lucky that the day of my grad we had a bit of an earthquake, and our area never gets quakes so I was able to make a joke about the earth shaking on the day of my graduation.

Overall I got some very positive feedback both from adults and my classmates.

Like people have said make sure theres some humour in there. Even the next day if my speech was mentioned my friends only talked about how they thought it was really funny, so I guess don't think that you'll have a profound impact on their future because of this speech. Its a great honor to receive and people do remember the fact that you did do the speech which is pretty cool.

If you're low on ideas of what to write about or want some extra tips just PM me and I can help you out, even let you see my speech or something.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By ThePickle

@AlexW00d said:

I shall assume this is an American thing? But GL anyway.

Yeah. They don't do that elsewhere? Valedictorian is basically the person deemed to be best in the grade. They make a speech for the graduation.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Do Visari's opening speech from Killzone.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

Just avoid sounding pompous and arrogant and you'll be miles ahead of my valedictorian.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Chris Rock's got your speech covered:

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do it like Hulk Hogan brotherjackdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No wait, if you're valedictorian, then that means you're the cream of the crop doesn't it ya nerd. Do it like Macho Man!

Don't forget the coffee creamers

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Contrarian

Make sure you end it with:

"Don't stop believing, let's get this party started"

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Obligatory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Contrarian said:

Make sure you end it with:

"Don't stop believing, let's get this party started"

I prefer

Cue Journey's "Any Way You Want It"

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@ThunderSlash said:

Try to insert as many subtle Giant Bomb references as you can.

This. And when you finish the speech you should just hold up your hands above your head like <>

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo

What is this election bullshit? I thought whoever was the best at books n shit got to be Valedictorian?

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Bwast

This is what you should say. Word for word.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Hizang

I take it this is an American thing?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Akeldama

The val of my graduation made a bunch of fucking pokemon references. Just one more reason to celebrate my departure from that awful place.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tescovee

@troll93 said:

Just run up, scream "fuck you guys, I'm starter than you", do a cart wheel then leave.

say it exactly how he typed it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you need something more contemporary then do a Damien Sandow

Remember, you are better than these "people"

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Vinny_Says

Just remind them that no matter what happens in their future lives, McDonald's is always hiring.

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Godak

Throw me in with the group who finds it odd that you can elect valedictorians. XD

So, uh, I guess this is your one chance to say what you really feel deep down in your...bowels. Shit on everyone and everything. Let them taste their inferiority.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#44  Edited By Hector

Either of these speeches should do.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Red

Start with some joke, make fun of how nerdy you are, but brag about how smart and better off than everyone else you are, talk about change, then close with how the pressure's on by making a balloon analogy (You are all balloons, and now you are about to be let go. It is how well you use what you have learned here that will determine whether you will soar through the sky of achievement, or simply pop under the pressure of life.) Then say "Congratulations, class of 2013"

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ekajarmstro

Make sure you mention you asked an internet forum for help.

Also, I just wanted to say that at my school the Valedictorian was chosen based on their speech draft and not based on grades.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

You can never go wrong with the speech from Independence Day.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Panpipe

My advice would be to ask a forum of gamers.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By Dagbiker

Make a speech about how hopeful the future is. That or Just tell everyone to remember to wear sunscreen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Red said:

Start with some joke, make fun of how nerdy you are, but brag about how smart and better off than everyone else you are, talk about change, then close with how the pressure's on by making a balloon analogy (You are all balloons, and now you are about to be let go. It is how well you use what you have learned here that will determine whether you will soar through the sky of achievement, or simply pop under the pressure of life.) Then say "Congratulations, class of 2013"

You forgot the balloons who just make one long fart noise. I tend to call them politicians