• 72 results
Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jared

I'm curious what age you guys moved out at. I've heard stories good and bad in this recession, I mean the economic downtown (lol), with young adults moving out. I'm 22 and have been debating it this year, I don't mind living at home (parents only drive me nuts sometimes) but at the same time it would be nice to get a house of my own. So what do you guys think? Worth it to move out now and get that nice first time home buyer tax break, or wait it out at home for say two more years, bank some more money and then get out?

Thanks,

Jared

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By laticsfan

I think the best option would be to wait a bit longer and save as much money as you can, as from the experience of my two brothers you'll have little chance to save once you have moved out. I am 19 and will be moving out to attend uni in the next month (don't know if it counts as moving out.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm 18, I haven't yet, I might next year I just have to see how things go.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By skrutop

I moved out on my own after college, so I would've been 22 (I'm 31 now).  I lived with 3 roommates, which was a compromise to allow me to save some money and still have fun.  Later, though, I lost my job and had to move in with my parents for 6 months while I was looking for a new job.

A lot of my friends lived at home for a couple of years when they got their first job, which allowed them to save a boatload of money.  If I had that option, I totally would've done that.  However, my parents moved away when I was in college.

Avatar image for shadowsaber_806
ShadowSaber_806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ShadowSaber_806
@Laticsfan said:
"I think the best option would be to wait a bit longer and save as much money as you can, as from the experience of my two brothers you'll have little chance to save once you have moved out. I am 19 and will be moving out to attend uni in the next month (don't know if it counts as moving out.) "

Yeah, this is some great advice. I moved out at 18 (22 now) and it was such a pain in the ass to get back on track and actually start saving money instead of just blowing through it. Statistically more people are waiting to move out for just this reason alone. Moving out worked out pretty nicely except for the bumpy start with saving money though. All I can recomend is that if you go for an apartment, make sure its rent to own. Getting that annual reciept showing rent paid through the year and knowing its moeny I would never see again is a slap in the face.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Cerza

If you have a stable income, can afford to move out, and you want to move out, then I say move out. I'm 24 and finally moved out this past spring. I came back home after college and it took me almost 2 years of planning, selling the vast majority of my gaming collection, and saving to be able to afford my own place. It's nice to finally have my own home, and the first time home buyers check from Obama is an even nicer little reimbursement for the cost. It's a big help in getting set up in the new home. They do take their time getting it to you though. 

Don't purchase a home just because you can get that $8000 first time buyer rebate though. Also, don't buy a home if you feel you aren't ready. I say this because being a home owner is HUGE responsibility and your whole world will change when you become one. Also, it is not nearly as easy to save money once you become a home owner, and you won't ever be able to save as much money as you are now. 

However, like I said at the beginning, if you have a stable income, can afford it, and want it, then go for it. :-)

xDARKxKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xDARKxKnight

Im 20 and im still at home. Times are hard at the moment, i can only make ends meet as it is and that isnt with the added money drainers, like mortgages, bills etc.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

Have you considered simply getting an apartment and splitting the rent with some other people, that way you can gradually build up to your own place and your free to do what you please.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Karmum

I haven't moved out yet. I'm sixteen and still in High School.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By cinemandrew

I moved out at 22. I'd say that's probably a pretty good age for most people. It gives you some time to save up/go to school. I wouldn't recommend staying home any longer than 22, because you don't want to start to get too reliant on that situation. If you wait too long, it's gonna be even harder to make that transition to being self sufficient. Do it while you're still young, and not set in your ways.

Also, I just bought my first home last year. I definitely think it's worth it to do it, but not for your first place. Rent first, buy later. Buying a house is overwhelming, but I can't imagine what it would be like if you had never been out on your own. Also, there's a lot more costs involved in living on your own than you might expect. Renting helps you prepare for that. You have to start thinking about utilities, phone bills, food, insurance, etc. If you're buying a house, you also have to think about all that stuff, a mortgage, property taxes (which are fucking expensive), and still have money left over each month for any repairs you might need to do to the house. One of the biggest things I missed about renting when we bought our house was not being able to call a landlord/apartment management to fix something that broke.

Nothing like getting out on your own though.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By _Phara0h_
@Karmum said:

" I haven't moved out yet. I'm sixteen and still in High School. "

At sixteen I was out off home and not in school anymore....
Don't fallow my example.....
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

i moved out when i was 17 to go to college but i came back two years later and have yet to leave. Having my 23rd b-day this sept and i don't see me moving any time soon. Unless i win the lotto. Even though i wish i could, as i hate the people i have to live with here. But when ya got to no money and your to ugly and hairy to work the corner in a dress the only other alternative is the streets, and i don't hate these people that much. Yet.

alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By alsnuts2

When I was 19... Then again when I was 22.... Then another time when I was 25.... Im 27 now.... I hope the next time is the last.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By clubsandwich

just turned 19, haven't yet, will move out next year most likely.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By jonnyboy

I was 17. I was living in a shithole flat in a shithole end of East London. Still, fun times.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kr3lian

Moved out when I was 17.  Except for a few months before graduate school, I haven't lived with my parents in over 10 years.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#18  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I moved out when I was 18, but stayed at my parents at various times for a few months when I needed to.  There's no shame in living with your folks, especially if they're good people, you have your own social life, and you've got a long-term goal or ambition.
Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Satune
@Karmum said:
" I haven't moved out yet. I'm sixteen and still in High School. "
Same here.
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daryl
@THAfara0: Luckily I haven't fallowed in your footsteps.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain

Moved out at 19, now 21 and still dealing with the court case resulting from the tenency, lost a lot of friends from it as well, and my landlord has essentially turned me racist. He's the absolute stereotype, fits it and conforms to it in every way, and is a complete and utter bastard, unfortunately not the first experience i've had with similar people of a similar origin. So yeah, thanks to him I will now be wary of dealing with any people from his part of the world, maybe it's racist, maybe I have a good reason for thinking in such a way, who can say.
baldus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By baldus

moved out when I was 17 for college. haven't stayed there since for longer than a weekend.  do not regret it at all.

captainawesomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By captainawesomo

Moved out when I was 18. Been on my own since then. Huge money drain living on your own but if you can afford it then go for it. Theres nothing better than having your freedom.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Megalon

I moved out when I went to college at 17.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust

19 but that was 20 years ago when things were less expensive.  I believe if you are ready to handle the shitload of responsibilities that living on your own encapsulates, then it is a worthwhile experience.  But, know that it is expensive at first and will likely grow more expensive as time progresses.  This will mean that you'll have to make choices and some freedoms you enjoyed will need to be discarded.  Most of the time, this means disposable income and secure knowledge that you've got a place to live and all the bills are paid.  If you are okay with living at home for now to ease the initial shock of independence later, then that might work better for you.  Like much in life, it's a trade off.

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Qorious

I'm 17 and I haven't moved out yet, and I don't plan to until I graduate college. Most of the Universities that I want to go to are really close to my area.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jayge_
@The_A_Drain said:
" Moved out at 19, now 21 and still dealing with the court case resulting from the tenency, lost a lot of friends from it as well, and my landlord has essentially turned me racist. He's the absolute stereotype, fits it and conforms to it in every way, and is a complete and utter bastard, unfortunately not the first experience i've had with similar people of a similar origin. So yeah, thanks to him I will now be wary of dealing with any people from his part of the world, maybe it's racist, maybe I have a good reason for thinking in such a way, who can say. "
Da BNP is lookin gud 4 u? (kidding) 

I'm 17, starting my senior year, no intention of moving out until next year hopefully.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Jayge said:
" @The_A_Drain said:
" Moved out at 19, now 21 and still dealing with the court case resulting from the tenency, lost a lot of friends from it as well, and my landlord has essentially turned me racist. He's the absolute stereotype, fits it and conforms to it in every way, and is a complete and utter bastard, unfortunately not the first experience i've had with similar people of a similar origin. So yeah, thanks to him I will now be wary of dealing with any people from his part of the world, maybe it's racist, maybe I have a good reason for thinking in such a way, who can say. "
Da BNP is lookin gud 4 u? (kidding)  I'm 17, starting my senior year, no intention of moving out until next year hopefully. "

Haha, i'm not quite ready to sign up to the BNP, but I won't be signing any private tenency contracts ever again, no matter the guys colour or creed.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Osaladin

I moved out at 19 to go to college.

RWL_MU_OSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By RWL_MU_OSU

18 for college

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31  Edited By damnboyadvance

18. As soon as I turn 18, my parents will celebrate my birthday, give a few days, then kick me out. At least, that's what they theorize. ;)

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'll be moving out when I'm 19 after I get my associates degree. Can't wait.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cloneslayer

well i moved into a dorm for college but still live at home in the off time. I won't move out all the way until I graduate.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By c1337us
@rectum_abominae said:
" I'm 24 and livin' at home.  SIIIIGHHH.    I'm trying to get a better paying job so I can save up and get a decent apartment.   "
If it makes you feel any better I am about to turn 26 and I still live at home. So you are not the sadest bastard on this thread just yet.
Statikwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Statikwolf

im 18, im gonna be joining the Air Force soon  so hopefully i will be out by 19  

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moved out at 17, ended up dancing with hard drugs, eating a pack of noodles once or twice a week due to spending all my money on drugs. Decided to escape the life I was living before I killed myself and have been living with my folks again for the last few months or so. Will be back out again in a few months, just gettin a little money together. No drugs this time!

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By calidan777

17 for me

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RipTheVeins
@alsnuts2 said:
" When I was 19... Then again when I was 22.... Then another time when I was 25.... Im 27 now.... I hope the next time is the last. "
sounds exactly like my brother age for age. But I'm 18 and still at home and don't see myself moving out anytime soon since I only have a little over a hundred dollars in my bank account thanks to me having to pay for my college this semester 100% and not being able to find a job even though I've been searching everywhere I could since I was sixteen...I guess that's what you get when you live in a town with 40,000 college students alone.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pause422

17 for me. Everything is good too.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ToxicFruit

Well i am moving to Canada  next year alone. going to live with some friends of my mother ( which i have never meet) 
going to be strange... i am 17

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By teh_destroyer

I moved out at age 20, (24 now). I moved into an apartment with a friend and we stayed there for a year, moved out a year later and now have been renting out a basement apartment for the past 3 years now. We somehow manage to still be broke :|.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#42  Edited By citizenkane

Hopefully by this time next year.

kajankua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kajankua
@Jared:  
i was 17 the first time i moved out, then i moved back in with my parents after about a year 
then i moved out again when i was 21 to go to uni in australia (im from norway), and now i'm.. still kickin' it in melbourne, going back home in a few months though
MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MC_Izawa
@THAfara0: Okay, I will not plow your example.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Cube

Will be moving out at 18.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46  Edited By Black_Rose

I'm 16 still. But hopefully I'll move out before i'm 25 -_-

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By Gunner

im 19 with no plans on what to study in college. Still haven't moved out.

iamdeputy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iamdeputy

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By asurastrike

I'm 19 and I plan to move out as soon as I find a job in San Francisco.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By _Phara0h_

@Daryl:  @MC_Izawa: Well I have to say that my advice is stray in school, cause it was probably the best thing for me to move out as it was not a great environment for me...