Which term do you use to describe people of the colored persuasion?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By DCFGS3

They call us white, we call em black, simple as that. If they don't like it, then they can kindly call us Caucasians.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By natetodamax

Black because African American takes too long to say.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@hematurge said: 

@GIVEMEREPLAY said: 

@ryanwho said: 

" Colored? What is this the 50s? "

Can you think of a better term to describe black people that doesn't use the term black or African American? To ask people whether they describe black people as black or African American is to immediately bias the question.  

That shit's disrespectful, no matter what  your intention may be. How about "dark skinned" for fucks sake. "
Right, and that's not racist, because only blacks are dark skinned. Don't mind leaving out everyone from the Indian subcontinent.  

@ryanwho said: 

@GIVEMEREPLAY said: 

@ryanwho said: 

" Colored? What is this the 50s? "

Can you think of a better term to describe black people that doesn't use the term black or African American?   "
I can literally only think of one worse term to describe black people. "
And you can't think of a better term. Precisely my point. What was your problem again?  

@dutch42 said:

" @dudeglove said:

"I call them by their first name, or their surname if formality is the order of the day. "
this is the only valid answer to this question "

Once again I can't imagine why or how you would take this stance. It's very evident that we NEED to categorize people for expediency's sake, to help identify and root out racism and discrimination (which will occur whether or not you use the term), and to accurately describe people. We are not all identical amorphous blobs, thank God. What insidious desire to unify all people is pushing you to drop our ability to identify a person's race?  
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By fwylo

I say black.  I'm black and not all people are African American.  I would be Jamaican German/Canadian if you want to get technical. 

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By ahriman22

Neither, I use racial slurs.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@GIVEMEREPLAY: Your thickheadedness frustrates me.  
/quit
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By penguindust

Well, I certainly don't say "colored", that's for sure.  What is this, 1956? 

I use both terms since both are socially acceptable.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By RichardLOlson

Black, Porch Monkey, Peter Cotton Picker, Night time in Nigeria, If I was anything but  black I would be shitting ovaltine, himalayan hoe monkeys.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@hematurge said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY: Your thickheadedness frustrates me.  /quit "
You believed that my use of the term "colored" was racist or offensive. Instead, you offered the term "dark skinned" which is itself offensive and racist. I'm not surprised that you're frustrated. 
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Turambar said:
" Not everyone who is of dark skin come from Africa, or associate themselves with Africa.  Hence I prefer "black" for the sake of both informality and correctness.  "
QFT. For a while, I described myself as black of African-American because I thought they were interchangeable, but one day my old principal was teaching a class and brought this up. How not everyone black person is from Africa therefore it's technically incorrect to call them African-American and so on and so on. It didn't change my life, but I did feel that was something important to learn.
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By nanikore

NIG- 

Uh, I mean.. What?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By HandsomeDead

Spades.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

" @hematurge said:

You believed that my use of the term "colored" was racist or offensive. Instead, you offered the term "dark skinned" which is itself offensive and racist. I'm not surprised that you're frustrated.  "  
That makes no sense whatsoever. By this same logic "pale skinned" is offensive and racist when referring to a white person? Astounding. Secondly, I didn't say "colored" was racist, I said it was disrespectful. Hell, "colored" even appears in the NAACP name. Where I live however, it is considered disrespectful. The term "dark skinned" is as literal and generic as one could get.  

dark-skinned - naturally having skin of a dark color

Yeah all the hate groups throw that one around.  

You really should put more thought into what you say.
Avatar image for pediatricurology
PediatricUrology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By PediatricUrology
@PrimeSynergy said:
QFT. For a while, I described myself as black of African-American because I thought they were interchangeable, but one day my old principal was teaching a class and brought this up. How not everyone black person is from Africa therefore it's technically incorrect to call them African-American and so on and so on. It didn't change my life, but I did feel that was something important to learn. "
I know this probably isn't how it happened, but I imagined some old white dude telling his students "Actually, many of you are simply black. Not all black people came from Africa" and the class nodding and saying "ohhh."

And what does it mean to be of a colored "persuasion?" We've talked about colored, but can someone wake up one day and decide to be, say, a Pacific Islander?
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@hematurge said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:

" @hematurge said:

You believed that my use of the term "colored" was racist or offensive. Instead, you offered the term "dark skinned" which is itself offensive and racist. I'm not surprised that you're frustrated.  "  
That makes no sense whatsoever. By this same logic "pale skinned" is offensive and racist when referring to a white person? Astounding. Secondly, I didn't say "colored" was racist, I said it was disrespectful. Hell, "colored" even appears in the NAACP name. Where I live however, it is considered disrespectful. The term "dark skinned" is as literal and generic as one could get.  

dark-skinned - naturally having skin of a dark color  Yeah all the hate groups throw that one around.   You really should put more thought into what you say. "
If you acknowledge that colored is (albeit an antiquated word) not an offensive one, why are you bothering to argue your point? 

Secondly, you are evidently so comfortable with your own biases that you've failed to understand my point. I am speaking specifically about black people, hence "dark skinned" would not be appropriate. It is racist to use "dark skinned" when referring exclusively to black persons because not all people who are dark skinned are black. I hope at this point you'll realize at the very least that it's both a touchy and complex issue, and that you will get down off your high horse. 
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By Jeust
@Dom said:
" i use Black in in informal speech "
Black is black. 
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FacelessVixen

Black, but I like to think of myself as "sexy caramel" since I'm more on the light side, like Lenny Kravitz.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EgoCheck616

The term "brothers" seems completely reasonable to me. None of my "colored persuasion" friends seem to have a problem with me using it. 
Unless they do, and they're really just plotting to beat me up.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By Kyreo

If you say African American then you should do yourself a favor go back to the 90s.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@PediatricUrology said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:
QFT. For a while, I described myself as black of African-American because I thought they were interchangeable, but one day my old principal was teaching a class and brought this up. How not everyone black person is from Africa therefore it's technically incorrect to call them African-American and so on and so on. It didn't change my life, but I did feel that was something important to learn. "
I know this probably isn't how it happened, but I imagined some old white dude telling his students "Actually, many of you are simply black. Not all black people came from Africa" and the class nodding and saying "ohhh."  And what does it mean to be of a colored "persuasion?" We've talked about colored, but can someone wake up one day and decide to be, say, a Pacific Islander? "
Lol, that's a reasonable assumption considering it happened back in high school so anyone would think so. Our principal at the time was black (cool dude, who I still see from time to time. It was a small private school btw) and that black/African-American discussion was part of a larger discussion that I don't remember in the least bit lol. I think everyone was more like me in the sense we kinda didn't say anything because we were all shocked mostly because we never thought of it that way. In my mind, it never warranted any thought until then. 

As for your second question, I think being colored can mean anything other than white, but it's usually used to refer to black people.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AlwaysAngry

There is so many things wrong with saying African American. 

For starters, NOT ALL BLACKS ARE FROM AFRICA!!! 

Also, as long as I'm white, you're black until people start calling me Irish-Polish-Slavic American.  

Which will never happen because it is impossible to offend a white person using racial slurs, *rolls eyes.*

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@nanikore said:
" NIG-  Uh, I mean.. What? "
I personally want to thank you so much for brightening up my shitty day!!!
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I call black people "whites".  It was a fine day when I gave up trying to figure out what to call whites.

Toasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Toasty

Toasty! 

... Well, I jokingly call myself brown (Hispanic is another politically correct and inaccurate term), but I use the word black, and white or pinky for my white friends, heh.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#75  Edited By Video_Game_King

Definitely not "colored persuasion", as I'm not a 1940s racist. Gotta go with black, because what if they're not American? What then? All other terms feel awkward, especially when you get to countries where people actually migrate from Africa to those countries.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Usually when I'm calling the cops I use the term "black"

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@CoolDrMoney said:
" Usually when I'm calling the cops I use the term "black" "
The implied sentiment here made me laugh really hard.  Thank you.
peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By peritus

Black, but in The Netherlands racism based on colour of skin is not that common, rare if anything, wich is a good thing right? ;)
The bastard people here ( racists ) focus on religion and nationality, especially since Geert Wilders started opening his mouth, damn fools in my book.

@AlwaysAngry said:

" There is so many things wrong with saying African American.   For starters, NOT ALL BLACKS ARE FROM AFRICA!!!  Also, as long as I'm white, you're black until people start calling me Irish-Polish-Slavic American.    Which will never happen because it is impossible to offend a white person using racial slurs, *rolls eyes.* "

Beautifull.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
If you acknowledge that colored is (albeit an antiquated word) not an offensive one, why are you bothering to argue your point?  Secondly, you are evidently so comfortable with your own biases that you've failed to understand my point. I am speaking specifically about black people, hence "dark skinned" would not be appropriate. It is racist to use "dark skinned" when referring exclusively to black persons because not all people who are dark skinned are black. I hope at this point you'll realize at the very least that it's both a touchy and complex issue, and that you will get down off your high horse.  "
There you go again. Racist and offensive are not the same word. I never said colored isn't offensive, In fact I said it's disrespectful. Do you realize that colored, literally means not white? By your logic your use of the word colored is exponentially more racist considering it not only excludes other dark skinned peoples but Asian and Hispanic peoples as well. Dark skinned is not an offensive or racist term at all. It's simply descriptive and considerably less touchy and complex than colored for the purpose of naming a stupid poll. Use whatever term you want just don't be surprised if throwing colored around gets you into trouble. Your avatar image fits your words well. 

Lastly, if pointing out your obviously flawed thinking puts me on a high horse then do mind the droppings as you bumble along behind.
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By frankfartmouth

I've never heard one black person use the term "African-American," except on CNN. I don't refer to myself as Swedish-German-Irish-French American. I'm white. That's it.  Supposing that black people can't handle the same reference to their own color is pretty patronizing.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81  Edited By trophyhunter

them

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Turambar said:
" Not everyone who is of dark skin come from Africa, or associate themselves with Africa.  Hence I prefer "black" for the sake of both informality and correctness.  "
This.
Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Foxtrot0245

You're black and I'm white. You most likely have never been to Africa and I haven't ever seen the Caucasus mountains, so I think this arrangement makes perfect sense.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@hematurge said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
If you acknowledge that colored is (albeit an antiquated word) not an offensive one, why are you bothering to argue your point?  Secondly, you are evidently so comfortable with your own biases that you've failed to understand my point. I am speaking specifically about black people, hence "dark skinned" would not be appropriate. It is racist to use "dark skinned" when referring exclusively to black persons because not all people who are dark skinned are black. I hope at this point you'll realize at the very least that it's both a touchy and complex issue, and that you will get down off your high horse.  "
There you go again. Racist and offensive are not the same word. I never said colored isn't offensive, In fact I said it's disrespectful. Do you realize that colored, literally means not white? By your logic your use of the word colored is exponentially more racist considering it not only excludes other dark skinned peoples but Asian and Hispanic peoples as well. Dark skinned is not an offensive or racist term at all. It's simply descriptive and considerably less touchy and complex than colored for the purpose of naming a stupid poll. Use whatever term you want just don't be surprised if throwing colored around gets you into trouble. Your avatar image fits your words well.  Lastly, if pointing out your obviously flawed thinking puts me on a high horse then do mind the droppings as you bumble along behind. "
Use whichever term you desire for high falutin moral outrage, that's what you're attempting. I used the most generic term I could think of to refer to blacks in America. As far as I know, the term "colored" used to be used to refer to blacks. "Dark skinned" doesn't have any such connection, at least not in my mind or my understanding of American history. I used colored specifically to exclude all non-whites who are non-blacks because that's who I was attempting to refer to.  

I suppose that literally both "colored" and "dark skinned" can refer to all non-whites, but that's not what "colored" was used to mean, and it's not how I meant it. Using "dark skinned" to refer to blacks is offensive because it forgets that there are plenty of other people who that term is generally used to refer to.  
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By zeforgotten

"Black" 
Feels weird calling them "African Americans" when you live in Denmark.. 

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By subject2change

Brotha, Sista, Homie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GIVEMEREPLAY: Continue life as a closet racist, George. I'm done here.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@hematurge said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY: Continue life as a closet racist, George. I'm done here. "

You're an idiot.  

In any case, I've gotten some good information from this thread. It seems like the "African American is the right thing to say" vibe of the 90s and early 00s is dead. That's a good thing. There also appears to be a significant contingent of very odd people who think we shouldn't categorize people by their ethnicity at all. And of course there are the people who can't resist making a racist joke at the drop of a hat. 
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @hematurge said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
There you go again. Racist and offensive are not the same word. I never said colored isn't offensive, In fact I said it's disrespectful. Do you realize that colored, literally means not white? By your logic your use of the word colored is exponentially more racist considering it not only excludes other dark skinned peoples but Asian and Hispanic peoples as well. Dark skinned is not an offensive or racist term at all. It's simply descriptive and considerably less touchy and complex than colored for the purpose of naming a stupid poll. Use whatever term you want just don't be surprised if throwing colored around gets you into trouble. Your avatar image fits your words well.  Lastly, if pointing out your obviously flawed thinking puts me on a high horse then do mind the droppings as you bumble along behind. "
Use whichever term you desire for high falutin moral outrage, that's what you're attempting. I used the most generic term I could think of to refer to blacks in America. As far as I know, the term "colored" used to be used to refer to blacks. "Dark skinned" doesn't have any such connection, at least not in my mind or my understanding of American history. I used colored specifically to exclude all non-whites who are non-blacks because that's who I was attempting to refer to.    I suppose that literally both "colored" and "dark skinned" can refer to all non-whites, but that's not what "colored" was used to mean, and it's not how I meant it. Using "dark skinned" to refer to blacks is offensive because it forgets that there are plenty of other people who that term is generally used to refer to.   "
GIVEMEREPLAY, you make absolutely no sense.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @hematurge said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
Use whichever term you desire for high falutin moral outrage, that's what you're attempting. I used the most generic term I could think of to refer to blacks in America. As far as I know, the term "colored" used to be used to refer to blacks. "Dark skinned" doesn't have any such connection, at least not in my mind or my understanding of American history. I used colored specifically to exclude all non-whites who are non-blacks because that's who I was attempting to refer to.    I suppose that literally both "colored" and "dark skinned" can refer to all non-whites, but that's not what "colored" was used to mean, and it's not how I meant it. Using "dark skinned" to refer to blacks is offensive because it forgets that there are plenty of other people who that term is generally used to refer to.   "
GIVEMEREPLAY, you make absolutely no sense. "
What's the issue? I tried to find a word that referred only to blacks, but didn't use the term 'black' or 'African American'. The only word I could conceive of is colored.   Hemorrhoid got upset because he finds that term offensive, and said I should instead use "dark skinned". I pointed out that there are plenty of people who are dark skinned who aren't black, so the word didn't suit the usage, and further it is actually racially insensitive since he was using it improperly (to refer to blacks only when it actually covers many more people). 
CaptainMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By CaptainMax

To be honest, there is a term for colored I use more then both of those.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By slyspider

i perfer "my friend who just so happens to be of a darker skin tone, even tho the fact that his skin is darker has nothing to do with who he is because we are the same inside." 

i get beat up alot

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By slyspider
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @hematurge said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
What's the issue? I tried to find a word that referred only to blacks, but didn't use the term 'black' or 'African American'. The only word I could conceive of is colored.   Hemorrhoid got upset because he finds that term offensive, and said I should instead use "dark skinned". I pointed out that there are plenty of people who are dark skinned who aren't black, so the word didn't suit the usage, and further it is actually racially insensitive since he was using it improperly (to refer to blacks only when it actually covers many more people).  "
o for fuck's sake SHUT UP!!!!!!!!
Edit: sorry
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@slyspider said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
What's the issue? I tried to find a word that referred only to blacks, but didn't use the term 'black' or 'African American'. The only word I could conceive of is colored.   Hemorrhoid got upset because he finds that term offensive, and said I should instead use "dark skinned". I pointed out that there are plenty of people who are dark skinned who aren't black, so the word didn't suit the usage, and further it is actually racially insensitive since he was using it improperly (to refer to blacks only when it actually covers many more people).  "
o for fuck's sake SHUT UP!!!!!!!! "
You're welcome to exit the thread. The X button is up and to the right. 
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @hematurge said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
 I pointed out that there are plenty of people who are dark skinned who aren't black, so the word didn't suit the usage
>_> Because there are no colored people other that aren't black!? Yeahhhhh...
ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ElegantRuby

Why do we have to label people?  They are people and I call them as such.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
 I pointed out that there are plenty of people who are dark skinned who aren't black, so the word didn't suit the usage
>_> Because there are no colored people other that aren't black!? Yeahhhhh... "
Not in the way the term has traditionally been used in the U.S., no.  

@ElegantRuby said:
" Why do we have to label people?  They are people and I call them as such. "
Once again, because it's beneficial to be able to categorize people for the purpose of identification (in an emergency situation, for instance), because it permits us to identify and eliminate racism, and because it celebrates our differences. Why would you give up that ability? 
j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By j0rdan

Why call them either.  Do you refer to you white friends as White,  no you refer to them as your friends.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@j0rdan said:
" Why call them either.  Do you refer to you white friends as White,  no you refer to them as your friends. "
If I was to identify a group of criminals who robbed a bank, I would certainly use their race to describe them (white, black or otherwise).  

If I wanted to find out whether minorities were being discriminated against in the workplace, it would certainly be useful to be able to identify who IS a minority.