Why do we shake randomly sometimes when dosing off to sleep?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I mean just now I was falling asleep in bed cause I was watching some Planet Earth and that guys voice always sends me to sleep. Anyways I randomly just had a shake and woke right up but wasn't dreaming or anything and this happens quite often but it also happens to everyone else I talk to about it. So I was just wondering why does it happen?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah for god sake this website has sooo many bugs, it wont let me edit the title :(

Dozing*

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

It's the body trying to stay awake, I think.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Endogene

perhaps it is just you, never happened to me anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shake or Jump whatever you want to call it, it's like when you watch a horror film and something makes you jump.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb

It's a spasm, a quick jolt. I know what you're talking about. There are five stages of sleep, the first of which is the easiest to slip into and when you do so it feels like your falling. When your body tries to stay awake, it is as if you are jerking back up.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You mean when you get the feeling like you're falling for a split second, and you jump/shake/spasm? We don't know for sure, but many scientists think it's an evolutionary throwback to when we slept in trees, and sometimes you might fall when you are going to sleep, and the feeling is to make you grab onto something to stop you from falling.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well atleast I know that whenever I'm sleeping in a tree I'll be safe.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Karmum

I think I know what you are talking about, but I haven't had this happen in awhile. The only thing I could compare this too was several years ago I woke up at night, I began to walk to the bathroom and when I came back, everything felt different and everything felt alot slower, until I went to lay down. This actually isn't exactly the same as what you mentioned, but I thought since you were talking about something weird I thought I could throw my experiences into the hat.

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thanatos990

Dreaming makes u move, if u have a pet, there dreaming when the move in there sleep

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Clean

See a doctor that does sound natural

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb
Karmum said:
"I think I know what you are talking about, but I haven't had this happen in awhile. The only thing I could compare this too was several years ago I woke up at night, I began to walk to the bathroom and when I came back, everything felt different and everything felt alot slower, until I went to lay down. This actually isn't exactly the same as what you mentioned, but I thought since you were talking about something weird I thought I could throw my experiences into the hat."

You woke up in the middle of the night and felt disoriented? Holy shit! Somebody call Dr. House!
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karmum
BiggerBomb said:
"Karmum said:
"I think I know what you are talking about, but I haven't had this happen in awhile. The only thing I could compare this too was several years ago I woke up at night, I began to walk to the bathroom and when I came back, everything felt different and everything felt alot slower, until I went to lay down. This actually isn't exactly the same as what you mentioned, but I thought since you were talking about something weird I thought I could throw my experiences into the hat."

You woke up in the middle of the night and felt disoriented? Holy shit! Somebody call Dr. House!"
Actually, no, that would not be the case. It is kind of hard to describe, since it happened so long ago.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By OmegaPirate
Karmum said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Karmum said:

You woke up in the middle of the night and felt disoriented? Holy shit! Somebody call Dr. House!"
Actually, no, that would not be the case. It is kind of hard to describe, since it happened so long ago."

pulls out lunger*
Please go on - how do you feel towards your father ? 

:D
Epic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Epic

Happens to me too, I get the falling feeling when im like barely awake almost sleeping and then I like jump up.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Falling dreams!? I dunno. That's all I can think of, I often have falling dreams right as I'm falling asleep.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By WickedCobra03

Its call a "myclonic jerk".  Its your mind starting to drift off into a real sleep from the first stage where you are kind of still half here but your body saying...woah, wait, ummm, are we dying here!  And so what your body instinctivly does is sends a vat of electrical energy through your body to try and get you going.

P.S.  If my mom or dad every come on Giantbomb thinking I am a terrorist and go through my history, thanks for floating the 4 years of pre-med so far, I guess they have paid off. :)

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RetroIce4

That happens to me and I think it is hilarious. I like flipped out and my leg spazz'd out too.

Avatar image for semicolon1twlev2
semicolon1twlev2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By semicolon1twlev2

Yeah, I'm pretty sure every person gets those.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By DualReaver

I think I get something similar. Sometimes it feels as if I'm falling for a second and it scares the hell out of me and wakes me up. lol

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Demilich

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but does anyone get that feeling sometimes when they're falling asleep, and everything gets a lot louder, and movement/touch feels a lot more noticeable. It's difficult to describe, and actually kind of cool.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DualReaver

Don't human senses heighten at night time?

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Black_Rose
Demilich said:
"Maybe I'm alone on this one, but does anyone get that feeling sometimes when they're falling asleep, and everything gets a lot louder, and movement/touch feels a lot more noticeable. It's difficult to describe, and actually kind of cool."
  Not really, at least not to me.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Demilich
DualReaver said:
"Don't human senses heighten at night time?"
Don't they tell you not to drive at night because your judgment is impaired while tired?
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DualReaver
Demilich said:
"DualReaver said:
"Don't human senses heighten at night time?"
Don't they tell you not to drive at night because your judgment is impaired while tired?"
That is an interesting mindfuck Demilich.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demilich

I'm tired right now, so maybe my statement was impaired.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DualReaver

Perhaps the impairment you have driving while tired is just slower reflexes? I must go google this now.

Edit:

I can't find anything. >_>
But I always thought that at night time we kind of felt more uneasy causing us to be more aware to what is around us, or something like that.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

It's normal, ReTarDedFisHy has it all the time. But mostly "dozing" off to sleep means that you shouldn't be, so it's your body making random spasms to stay awake. It's ReTarDedFisHy's guess anyway. Ask your doctor :D

Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

PapaLazarou said:
"I mean just now I was falling asleep in bed cause I was watching some Planet Earth and that guys voice always sends me to sleep. Anyways I randomly just had a shake and woke right up but wasn't dreaming or anything and this happens quite often but it also happens to everyone else I talk to about it. So I was just wondering why does it happen?"
happens to me too, it scares the shit out of me so much. :D
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By serbsta

Ive honestly never had that happen to me, then again, i dont fall asleep at random places. xD

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Commando

Sometimes when I doze off, my leg involuntarily kicks forward. Is that what you're talking about? 

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By AlexB

Funny Story: One time i was in a hotel room and sleeping on the opposite end of the bed (for no reason). I had just started to fall asleep when I had a dream where I was about to kick a soccer ball. In my dream when i kicked the soccer ball, my body actually reacted accordingly and my leg kicked. On the nightstand i had left a pop sitting there half full. My leg hit it and it flew across the room and smacked the wall. But yeah it was pretty funny this thread just reminded me of that.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lunarbunny
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Gunner

i remember having a dream when i was about 10 years old were i was in the wild west during the 1800's and i was having a pistol duel with Yosemite Sam (looney toons cowboy guy) and after i drew my pistol, he shot me right in the chest and as soon as he did i jumped awake (much like you described) and i had a really bad pain in my chest. freaked me out. 

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Verdugo

Happens to me rarely, gives me this frightened unsettled feeling afterwards:P.

theshadow027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By theshadow027

That happened to me last night when I was dreaming about falling off a cliff. It makes me feel really funny afterward too...

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fresh2deafbill

the shaking is you re-entering the atmosphere. you're getting abducted by aliens and they're sending you back

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Gunner
fresh2deafbill said:
"the shaking is you re-entering the atmosphere. you're getting abducted by aliens and they're sending you back"
Flawless.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By tekmojo

it's a tumor