Why is ?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

welder106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By welder106

Why is cussing allowed on this site . Was just wondering . I see some F bombs dropped . If kids are out here why is it tolerated.I am new so all you people who have been here awhile dont get your undies in a bundy  by me asking this question. I think this is a valid question. Everyone have a nice day. Not one F bomb was used in the making of this question. I see people out here critizing my spelling and other peoples spelling and then in the next sentence they are dropping the F bomb real smart .. Everyone have a nice a great day..
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

I count 3 "F Bombs" in your post, so stop lying :P 

Anyways, it's allowed because the crew had faith in people not overusing it.  
Read that I wrote "had" faith. 

And I thought this site wasn't for tiny babies in the first place. 
 (Although I know they're out there those under 14 year old pricks ruining perfectly good threads with their virigin ways of handling a woman on the internet) 

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ahriman22

Because at first it seemed like a good idea. I mean, most people restrict how much they swear here, but you can't help having some users just going around going "Fuck fuck cunt shit  crap fuck".  

Just how some restraint is all.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Red12b
@welder106:  

May I ask, are you related to a man who likes Govertments and cheese? 

If not,  
Swear words are tolerated on this site, because the staff tolerate it, I guess they belive that it's 2010, and people should be able to say what they feel, and Swear words allow them to express themselves with more honesty, and Suspending people due to a word that is not directed in hate towards another user should not affect anybody.  

I will link you to the FAQ hold up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Seriously, how is it any different from a kid being around other kids in high school? In my school atleast, everyone was swearing. Nobody made a big deal of it because it was just how we talked. Nobody dropped a C-bomb that often (though that's changed as we've grown up), but ti still came out every now and then.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Red12b
@welder106:  
Here is my welcoming post. 
So if you aren't a troll I hope you have a GoodN  
Sup dude,   

You're not officially a duder until you read these threads, 

If you haven't seen all of the content that the staff have created, you can check all of the choice cuts  here

We have a  Community Spotlight thread, as you will come to appreciate, We are a close knit community and it's good to see and promote all the stuff that we create, And that means you too as well, :) 

If you are going to be on the forums at all, Please read the  forum rules and  FAQ

And  here is a thread created by the community Moderators regarding posting Youtube Videos and links. 

GB also has a  Wiki style Database, It's pretty cool, If you have the stones to write some good content, spray that knowledge all over our faces :) 

Also, as you'll read in the  FAQ, we have loose rules, You can bend em' but don't break em' 
So you can fucking say what you fucking like but don't go fucking overboard with it, :) 

Hope you enjoy your Giant Bomb experience :)

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Red12b
@Khann said:
" Seriously, how is it any different from a kid being around other kids in high school? In my school atleast, everyone was swearing. Nobody made a big deal of it because it was just how we talked. Nobody dropped a C-bomb that often (though that's changed as we've grown up), but ti still came out every now and then. "
I've noticed that, it's not taboo anymore is it, Especially in NZ and England, We use it as a greeting... 

Or a compliment, You are a good C*** 

Oh those were the days eh? back in gamespot, well to you sir I say F*** YOU! 
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Red12b said:
" @Khann said:
" Seriously, how is it any different from a kid being around other kids in high school? In my school atleast, everyone was swearing. Nobody made a big deal of it because it was just how we talked. Nobody dropped a C-bomb that often (though that's changed as we've grown up), but ti still came out every now and then. "
I've noticed that, it's not taboo anymore is it, Especially in NZ and England, We use it as a greeting...  Or a compliment, You are a good C***  Oh those were the days eh? back in gamespot, well to you sir I say F*** YOU!  "
Hah, you bloody kiwis are as bad as us Aussies with throwing 'cunt' out there! Worse maybe ;)

I've noticed people jumping on my swearing on the forum a few times, saying I'm trying to act tough etc because of my swearing, even though I've said many times it's part of my vocab and I don't mean anything by it. Maybe it's different in USA/UK/Europe/Asia? I dunno, never been.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed
deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Atleast you can't get moderated tho.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Lowbrow

If you are not old enough, or mature enough to handle some swearing, you should probably get as far away from this site as possible.

People here will indeed swear, but rarely will the usual Ill will that accompanies swearing in general actually be used to target others, unless they're douchebags having an internet dick swinging competition.

To me, this site is a very relaxing online experience lol.

And guys, quit saying cunt... I hate that word.... sounds dirty.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten
@Red12b said:
" @Khann said:
I've noticed that, it's not taboo anymore is it, Especially in NZ and England, We use it as a greeting...  Or a compliment, You are a good C***  Oh those were the days eh? back in gamespot, well to you sir I say F*** YOU!  "
Pfft, "Gamespot" 
They were so heavy on the not swearing part that talking about AssAssins Creed would turn into a conversation about "********* Creed" 
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Synthballs

I swear, a lot, way I see it, it's the internet. A lot worse out here...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Red12b
@Lowbrow:  
that's why I used **** as I know how it affects some people, My mate Khann is an aussie, don't try and reason with him, he is an aussie, it's like talking to a wall,  
:)  
Trust me I know, I used to be one.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Red12b
@ZeForgotten said:
" @Red12b said:
" @Khann said:
Pfft, "Gamespot" They were so heavy on the not swearing part that talking about AssAssins Creed would turn into a conversation about "********* Creed"  "
Haha, assass, I left before that came out so I would have missed it,  

But yeah, that would make for some interesting convos, imagine trying to say the game title like this A S S A S S ins creed, and then getting an email telling you that you were subverting the censors and getting a point off of your grade. Hahaha 

That's why I never used the forums at all, it's all BS.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Whisperkill

As if kids don't curse.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RobotHamster

Well those are the little 14 yo kids playing halo which I think has made their virgin ears bleed worse than the things posted on this site.  Plus, they even curse on the videos and bombcasts so technically this site isn't intended for kids, its for gamers who are able to express themselves however they like. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox

Because this isn't a site specifically for children. And If I was a child, I would be much more offended at being treated as such than I would be by seeing a naughty combination of letters.

The only people that are truly concerned about cursing are the parents of the children who don't care.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spaceturtle

I'll write whatever the hell I want here on this site! As long as it isnt offensive to anyone or braking the rules of course. To get things straight, lets remember that cussing is a way of expressing ourselfs. So if your out there trying to get your opinions out to others, throw som fucking "foul" laungish out there so they know you are serious!

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nanikore

Fuck. 

That is all.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Evilsbane
@nanikore said:
" Fuck.   That is all. "
I approve of this message.

Oh and by the way, its a word, you put the meaning behind it have you ever seriously tried to think about how a word can be "bad" its a silly human thing, you have been told the words are taboo your entire life so you just come to accept it as fact.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@welder106:  when you forbid something, it becomes intriguing and overly used and shiny in the eyes of children growing up.  but when you dont even acknowledge cussing and consider cuss words just another set of words which are needed in some cases just like any expression is needed in it's place, the whole concept of BAD LANGUAGE disappears and children will never be tempted to have potty mouthes cuz they never viewed those few words as the 'holy untouchable' vocabulary and never had the case of the-need-to-eat-the-forbidden-fruit ... 

thats my point of view on cussing. anyway, 'cuss words' arent forbidden because they are, like i said above, necessary in some cases and they help you make a fucking point. as long as we acknowledge them, they'll remain a problem. if we accept them as an important part of speech, soon enough you wont notice them out of context anymore and wont hear any kids overusing them because TO THEM they are just another set of words with their own usage (if you raised them without pointing out what cuss words are)
ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By ManlyBeast

Jesus loves so fucking much.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Fucking Fuck Fuckity Fuck. 

This world is harsh unfortunately, so if there are kids on this site, they will hear these words sometime soon enough in their life.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Because cussing is fucking awesome. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Snail

Just fuck off. 

If all the Giant Bomb crew often cusses in the Bombcast I think it should be allowed in the website.

welder106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By welder106

What ever.Bla Bla Bla sounds like double talk to me . I think that the people out here who worry so much about spelling and proper gramar and then swear are hypocrits.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fwylo

As long as the spelling on the swear words is correct then I don't see the issue.  Also, kids are going to swear anyways, if they dont' hear it here they'll hear it somewhere else.  Stop trying to put these kids in a box and open them up to how it is on the internet.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@welder106: So what exactly is bad about swearing? If I'm really pissed off and I say "Fork" instead of "Fuck" is that really somehow better? Proper spelling, on the other hand, is important because good communication is a desirable trait in real life (TM) and things like not knowing the difference between versions of 'your' and 'there' make you sound unintelligent. If you don't put up enough effort to spell properly, why should I make the effort to read your post or take your opinion seriously?
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By jNerd
@welder106 said:

"I see people out here critizing my spelling and other peoples spelling and then in the next sentence they are dropping the F bomb real smart .."

How does dropping the F bomb make you uneducated? I think that's an unfair correlation.  
On the other-hand, most of the people who where criticizing you where probably a-holes. 
......but we all aren't. The ability to drop the F bomb is just a freedom.
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nanikore
@welder106 said:
" I think that the people out here who worry so much about spelling and proper gramar and then swear are hypocrits. "
The last time I checked, spelling "fuck" wrong still applies to bad spelling. There's nothing hypocritical about caring about good spelling and grammar and swearing.
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By therabidfrog

I'm not huge fan of swearing, but they keep things fast and loose here. Keeps me from getting banned too quickly.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By kraznor

I think society is at a point where kid's cursing is the norm and Giant Bomb simply recognizes this sad fact and decided not to suppress it. Get some of that  rage out on the internet, then tone it down when out in public.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I swear alot in real life, so I see no reason why I should change for the internet. So FUCK YOU!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By natetodamax
Who the hell gives a shit?
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By teh_destroyer

What the fuck, you got a fucking problem with it?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks
@welder106:  

Here's a valid question for you - why do you associate the use of such words to a lack of intelligence?, as your choice of wording suggests -  "smart". 

What hypocrisy do you see in somebody pointing out bad grammer or spelling, and then choosing to swear?.  

I fail to see any bearing their swearing has on the validity of their initial criticism.

I don't give a fuck about the copious amounts of swearing on this site, I'm thankful that everyone here (above the age of 14 - read the rules and ToS) is free to express themselves as they please, within good reason. Swearing is not deemed offensive here because it's recongized as being integral to the culture of modern language in the world today. The Oxford dictionary has the word "fuck" and "cunt" within it, with very good reason - both are commonly used and have been de-vulgarized in their prevalent usage. 
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By spaceturtle
@creamypies said:
" So FUCK YOU! "
Now, you see, thats just bad behavior...
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@SPACETURTLE said:
" @creamypies said:
" So FUCK YOU! "
Now, you see, thats just bad behavior... "
Yeah?! Well at least I didn't drop a Vinny.
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spaceturtle
@creamypies said:
" @SPACETURTLE said:
" @creamypies said:
" So FUCK YOU! "
Now, you see, thats just bad behavior... "
Yeah?! Well at least I didn't drop a Vinny. "

Cute
welder106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By welder106

So it doesnt matter what the dictionary has in it . So when your next to a female police officer call her the c word or if your ever in court use the f bomb in court use that word in front of the judge see where it gets you.Just because you can does not mean you should. And yes using vulgar/swear words does show a sign of low intelengance. Oh buy the why why dont you use one of the words on your job resume see where it gets you. I really do not want to argue with everyone but come on cussing and swearing in an open forum is not cool. That is my opinion and I am sticking with this opinion it has served me well. Everyone have a nice day.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By nukesniper

I think that swearing is allowed because it doesn't really matter. If I slip some profanity into what I put on the site, it is usually with good reason. Either that or I am talking about an M rated game where anyone who is playing it should be more than able to handle a reasonably placed "fuck" especially if 10 year olds are going to play Gears of War on live and listen to Marcus spew obscenities every time his weapon jams.  

Profanity is allowed because the users here can tolerate and understand it. And because *most* of us are mature enough to use it when appropriate or not at all. We also have had some practice ignoring posts that are full of things like ALL CAPS and constant profanity. 

I don't swear to offend anyone on here. But I can see the humor and appeal behind the Rogue Warrior Quick Look. I believe that if you are dealing with M-Rated video game content, that you should be able to deal with M-Rated language. 

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fwylo
@welder106 said:

" So it doesnt matter what the dictionary has in it . So when your next to a female police officer call her the c word or if your ever in court use the f bomb in court use that word in front of the judge see where it gets you.Just because you can does not mean you should. And yes using vulgar/swear words does show a sign of low intelengance. Oh buy the why why dont you use one of the (those?) words on your job resume see where it gets you. I really do not want to argue with everyone but come on cussing and swearing in an open forum is not cool. That is my opinion and I am sticking with this opinion it has served me well. Everyone have a nice day. "

Just because swearing is not polite it doesn't prove lack of intelligence... But first lets take a look at your post.
Missed apostrophes in "doesnt" and "dont"but probably should not be abbreviating words at all if trying to prove intelligence. Which also has spelling issues in your post.  Wrong iteration of the word "buy" and using the word "why" instead of way.  Damn... Only a picture can say what I need to say.

No Caption Provided
welder106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By welder106

I am going to start proof reading my posts before putting it on the site .I noticed that after I had allready sent it on it,s way.Thanks .Glad you never have made a mistake and that you can spare time to point out my mistakes . Thank you . You are right  I will try to do better . I will take my time more .Again thank you.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By gingertastic_10

Cause I can talk as I please.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vade

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - Walter Bagehot.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Freedom of speech.  The spice must flow.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lowbrow
@welder106 said:

" So it doesnt matter what the dictionary has in it . So when your next to a female police officer call her the c word or if your ever in court use the f bomb in court use that word in front of the judge see where it gets you.Just because you can does not mean you should. And yes using vulgar/swear words does show a sign of low intelengance. Oh buy the why why dont you use one of the words on your job resume see where it gets you. I really do not want to argue with everyone but come on cussing and swearing in an open forum is not cool. That is my opinion and I am sticking with this opinion it has served me well. Everyone have a nice day. "

The day I have to carry myself on Giantbomb.com as I would in front of a police officer, a judge, or at work, is the day I stop logging into GB.
welder106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By welder106

So remeber that when I mispell a word or misplace a period this is not english class and mistakes are made.Again mispelling a word on here is worse the swearing that just seems backwords. Remember dont get your undies in a bundy. It is just my opinion on the cussing thing not really a big deal . I will take my chill pill and everybody elese can take there,s and we will be all medicated and it wont matter.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fwylo
@welder106: how about this, because i use four letter words in the instance when i am passionate about something instead of writing a fucking paragraph long post i am only doing so to save time

if you are going to hipocritimasize people for the words they choose to use then make sure you are un hipocritimasizable, especially on the internet.

also, i like pillz